PDA

View Full Version : Dismissing Spells Instantly

ATHATH
2016-05-09, 02:11 PM
Someone recently pointed out that Vile Death is dismissible, and that that fact can be used to ensure the obedience of your Fiendish Undead. There is (at least) one problem with this plan, though: if your "minions" can surprise and kill you before you can dismiss the spells on them, they'll get to keep their corpse-puppets.

I need a way to A: dismiss my Vile Death spells that are on any number of my minions instantly and B: make them suffer for their disobedience.

Any ideas?

Troacctid
2016-05-09, 02:16 PM
Celerity + Foresight or Contingency.

ATHATH
2016-05-09, 02:23 PM
Celerity + Foresight or Contingency.
That will only dismiss one spell (dismissing a spell is a Standard action, right?), though, unless you use enough shenanigans with it (which I don't want to do).

nedz
2016-05-09, 03:06 PM
That will only dismiss one spell (dismissing a spell is a Standard action, right?), though, unless you use enough shenanigans with it (which I don't want to do).

Add in a Timestop

icefractal
2016-05-09, 04:40 PM
Craft Contigent Spell (the feat). Put a Contingent Dispel Magic (trigger: You say the code phrase, or someone tries to remove it) on each minion. You auto-succeed in dispelling your own spells, so you can put it at the minimum CL.

Would cost 1500 gp per minion - less, if you utilize tricks to lower Dispel's level.

Troacctid
2016-05-09, 04:47 PM
Craft Contigent Spell (the feat). Put a Contingent Dispel Magic (trigger: You say the code phrase, or someone tries to remove it) on each minion. You auto-succeed in dispelling your own spells, so you can put it at the minimum CL.

Would cost 1500 gp per minion - less, if you utilize tricks to lower Dispel's level.

Ooh, that's clever.

You'd probably use Dispelling Touch rather than Dispel Magic, though, since it's lower level. EDIT: Although in that case, to be sure, you'd have to also set the contingency to trigger if any non-instantaneous spell of a higher caster level is cast on the minion, since Dispelling Touch only gets the highest-CL spell on the target.

ATHATH
2016-05-09, 04:51 PM

Ah, see, this is what I was looking for. Thanks.