PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul Spell Casting W/ Shield

newsman77
2016-05-09, 06:30 PM
Calling all rules experts. Can you please correct me on this...This is my first caster and I'm trying to determine if I can still cast spell with a shield and an wand, rod or staff.

Many of you helped me build my Favored Soul 5/Undying Light Warlock 2. He's been a blast to play so far as we run through Out of the Abyss. We just made it to the surface and it's been an epic fight so far, but there's a lot more on the way. His main attack right now is Eldritch Blast, sometimes Quickened, with an occasional Scorching Ray or Fireball thrown into the mix. He has a lot of utility and often times acts as an off-support character (Cure Wounds, Bless)

During his adventures, my Favored Soul found a chain shirt and a shield, which has been helping him stay alive. This is where my question comes into play. If I get a magic item (a +1 or +2 to hit/damage item for spell attacks) would that stop me from being able to cast spells with Somatic components? I'm thinking I cannot or would have to stow the magic item, thus not getting the +hit/damage bonus.

Could you please help me here? How do I keep casting those good spells and get a bonus to hit?

JumboWheat01
2016-05-09, 06:47 PM
The Warcaster feat was designed pretty much for anyone who wanted to go sword and board or two weapons. Without it, yes, you would need to put away your weapon. You still will if you intend to cast spells with a specific reagent cost, you can't just foist that on your spell focus (assuming Favored Souls can use divine foci, I don't know if they do off the top of my head. If they don't, you have to put your weapon away for ANY spell needing material costs.)

newsman77
2016-05-09, 07:09 PM
Right now, I don't have a weapon. I do have a mace I can use if I get into melee combat, but that's few and far between. I think perhaps I either made a mistake taking Favored Soul, Im going to have to ditch the shield, or take Warcaster to fix the build.

I'd like to keep the shield, as I have a chain shirt and it help my AC. Trading 2 AC for +1 hit/damage doesn't sound bad.

JumboWheat01
2016-05-09, 07:12 PM
You can always snag a cantrip that relies on a save rather than a ranged spell attack roll if you want melee capabilities. You don't get disadvantage on them.

newsman77
2016-05-09, 07:22 PM
You can always snag a cantrip that relies on a save rather than a ranged spell attack roll if you want melee capabilities. You don't get disadvantage on them.

That's just it, Imnot sure I want melee capabilities. I like casting EB+Hex and the Spiritual Hammer works well for when I'm out of quickens and need some extra bonus action attacks. Plus we have a melee Barbarian, Ranger & Cleric.

My only concern is that I want the +hit/damage a magic item offers as that's going to help me stay competetive. Right now, I have the lowest to hit bonus in the group. Mainly because everyone else has a magic item.

JumboWheat01
2016-05-09, 07:29 PM
I don't think a weapons enhancement bonus affects your spells in any way shape or form, they simply are as they are. The only way to improve Eldritch Blast, per se, is by grabbing the Invocation that allows you to add your CHA to its damage rolls. Wielding a +1 Mace isn't going to make it hit any harder or more likely.

That's just the way of life if you're a caster, you live by your stats and spells far more than your equipment.

newsman77
2016-05-09, 07:42 PM
I don't think a weapons enhancement bonus affects your spells in any way shape or form, they simply are as they are. The only way to improve Eldritch Blast, per se, is by grabbing the Invocation that allows you to add your CHA to its damage rolls. Wielding a +1 Mace isn't going to make it hit any harder or more likely.

That's just the way of life if you're a caster, you live by your stats and spells far more than your equipment.

I don't want a +hit/damage MELEE item. I want one that adds to my SPELL attacks. In 3rd and 4th, there were ways to add bonuses to your to hit/damage with spell attacks. You're saying those don't exist anymore? Surely that's incorrect. What good is playing a caster if you only get stat+proficiency when the melee characters get +1,+2 or +3 weapons armor and fighting styles.

Giant2005
2016-05-09, 07:52 PM
Rods, Staves, and Wands are all Arcane Focuses, so you will do fine with your magic versions.
You will be able to cast any spell you have, without first freeing a hand, unless it has a material component that a Rod/Staff/Wand cannot emulate (anything with a price tag).

JumboWheat01
2016-05-09, 07:54 PM
Oh, Wands, Rods and Staves are arcane foci, and can be used to cast spells with somatic components as long as those spells have a material component with no actual cost (quite a few of those.) If a spell doesn't have a material component cost, yes, you would have to put it away unless you have the Warcaster feat.

Though I admit to not being overly sure there are foci that improve spell attack rolls and damage. Wouldn't surprise me if there was, and also if there wasn't.

Giant2005
2016-05-09, 07:59 PM
Though I admit to not being overly sure there are foci that improve spell attack rolls and damage.

Those that add to attack rolls exist, but not those that add to damage rolls.

SharkForce
2016-05-09, 08:02 PM
for somatic spells, certain spellcasting focus items can count as weapons. for example, a staff (which in 5e can be used one-handed, and even with a shield in the other hand, though that's a tad silly imo). arguably, a rod or scepter could be a club or mace as well. and of course, warlocks are known to use pact daggers.

of course, officially that only works for spells with material components. for whatever reason, a spell with somatic components and no material components cannot be cast with a focus, though the same spell with material components could. it's quite silly, but that is the official rule if you must use it (though if you're using favoured soul, it seems unlikely your DM is very firm on following rules just because they're rules).

JumboWheat01
2016-05-09, 08:02 PM
I suppose that makes a degree of sense, especially for spell casters that rely on attack rolls rather than saves.

uraniumrooster
2016-05-09, 08:07 PM
I don't want a +hit/damage MELEE item. I want one that adds to my SPELL attacks. In 3rd and 4th, there were ways to add bonuses to your to hit/damage with spell attacks. You're saying those don't exist anymore? Surely that's incorrect. What good is playing a caster if you only get stat+proficiency when the melee characters get +1,+2 or +3 weapons armor and fighting styles.

The Wand of the Warmage and Rod of the Pact Keeper, along with a few other magic items, will boost your spell attacks like magic weapons (+1, +2, +3 w/ increasing rarity). They're pretty rare items in the published campaigns and I honestly wouldn't count on finding one if your DM is following the book pretty closely, but even without it your EB-sorclock will be out-damaging the martials in your group most of the time. Plus, the better high-level spells will rely on your saving throw DC anyway (can't remember if the magic spell foci boost your save DC as well, I'm AFB so maybe someone else can answer that).

newsman77
2016-05-09, 08:47 PM
for somatic spells, certain spellcasting focus items can count as weapons. for example, a staff (which in 5e can be used one-handed, and even with a shield in the other hand, though that's a tad silly imo). arguably, a rod or scepter could be a club or mace as well. and of course, warlocks are known to use pact daggers.

of course, officially that only works for spells with material components. for whatever reason, a spell with somatic components and no material components cannot be cast with a focus, though the same spell with material components could. it's quite silly, but that is the official rule if you must use it (though if you're using favoured soul, it seems unlikely your DM is very firm on following rules just because they're rules).

Ah, that makes sense. It's going to hurt to give up +2 AC (taking me down to 15) for a wand with +1 to attack.

I built a Lawful Good Aasimar Favored Soul/Undying Light Warlock on the spot. I saw the extra attack and was like ok, that's cool. But with such low hit points, I can't stand in melee. I've been downed in 1 round numerous times, like the 60 points my DM did to me on an op attack from an ooze. So I thought, hey, at least I have this shield.. And now that goes so I can cast eldritch blast? Favored Soul seems like such a waste at this point.

Crgaston
2016-05-09, 09:03 PM
You should be able to keep the shield. You only need one hand free to cast, and if you get a Wand of the War mage it'll help, not hinder you. Favored Soul is a more powerful sorcerer subclass than the phb variants due to its expanded spell list.

SharkForce
2016-05-09, 11:30 PM
well, pay close attention to your spell list. it is entirely possible you don't have *any* spells that have somatic but not material components. anything that has both, you can cast with a wand (enchanted or otherwise). anything that has material but not somatic you can cast with the wand. it's only spells that have somatic requirements but not material requirements that you'll have problems with.

so it is entirely possible that you can make good use of a wand (or whatever) without difficulty.

even in a worst case scenario, you should be able to stow or draw a wand with your free object interaction. which means you might have to do without the wand for one round if you want to cast a spell with somatic components but no material components (it does still kinda ruin things for reaction spells in that category, unfortunately).

Crgaston
2016-05-10, 03:23 AM
well, pay close attention to your spell list. it is entirely possible you don't have *any* spells that have somatic but not material components. anything that has both, you can cast with a wand (enchanted or otherwise). anything that has material but not somatic you can cast with the wand. it's only spells that have somatic requirements but not material requirements that you'll have problems with.

so it is entirely possible that you can make good use of a wand (or whatever) without difficulty.
I'm also
even in a worst case scenario, you should be able to stow or draw a wand with your free object interaction. which means you might have to do without the wand for one round if you want to cast a spell with somatic components but no material components (it does still kinda ruin things for reaction spells in that category, unfortunately).

Sharkforce, you hush. It offends my agency whenever someone uses the word "ruin.". :-)
Edit... .Sharkcorce speaks truth.