PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder my character might be too powerful

origomart
2016-05-10, 12:38 AM
I guess it doesn't matter that its pathfinder.

But basically i made a melee guy that stacks strength bonus's. Hes level 7 atm, and hes obscenely strong compared to the other party members. It might have something to do with the fact that hes the only pure fighter in a part of almost entirely casters.

It might be more of an issue with our DM being fairly new and not realizing what my guys weaknesses are(namely all his self buffs don't last forever so multiple fights throughout the day are hard for him), but im afraid if i keep building to my characters strengths(which is basically the characters stique, his only goal is to become physically stronger no matter the cost, and some other random RP stuff).

For example, we finally got some money in our game and i want to get these two items. One of them basically once a day gives me an automatic crit(i know it sounds dumb but its a legit item, i even looked up what most people thought about how it works and they agree that thats how it works), and the other give me even more strength for one round a day basically. This would make me way stronger in one area, which is what my character would wnat to do but in the game setting i dont wnat to utterly outshine everyone in combat out of game.

I dont think any of the other players have issues with it yet, the only real problem is we have to fight higher CR stuff, and that higher CR stuff makes it harder for them to land spells.

Florian
2016-05-10, 12:41 AM
Melees stacking up on raw STR is neither hard, overly powerful nor breaking the game.
ThereŽs a similar discussion about that right now in another thread and the common consensus seems to be that STR30 at lvl 10 is a good figure to have without breaking the game.

origomart
2016-05-10, 01:00 AM
Melees stacking up on raw STR is neither hard, overly powerful nor breaking the game.
ThereŽs a similar discussion about that right now in another thread and the common consensus seems to be that STR30 at lvl 10 is a good figure to have without breaking the game.

yeah i just saw that thread. Atm my guy is level 7 and can get around 42 strength for one round with items.

With that one other item once a day i can more or less do 120> damage for one round.

Hes got plenty of weaknesses but the main issue is our DM is fairly new and idk if he knows how to exploit them or not. And i dont want to tell him how to run his campaign to make the combat more balanced for everyone involved.

Florian
2016-05-10, 01:06 AM
Color me unimpressed.

High STR + Autocrit with a x4 weapon still gets blocked by simple 20% concealment light cover or simple defensive measure like the basic Mirror Image spell.

Unless you get some Pounce on, or do some impressive tricks with that STR and chain-vital-striking, or reach-trip-auto-AoO shenanigans, than nothing really gamebreakinig happens.

origomart
2016-05-10, 01:10 AM
Color me unimpressed.

High STR + Autocrit with a x4 weapon still gets blocked by simple 20% concealment light cover or simple defensive measure like the basic Mirror Image spell.

Unless you get some Pounce on, or do some impressive tricks with that STR and chain-vital-striking, or reach-trip-auto-AoO shenanigans, than nothing really gamebreakinig happens.

Alright cool, again my only worry is that since my DM is relatively new he won't think of any of those things on his own. I guess itl be a learning experience as he will have to try and find those things you mentioned.

Esprit15
2016-05-10, 01:13 AM
Color me unimpressed.

By the sound of it, his DM doesn't realize these are ways to deal with it. Players knowing the system better than the DM can really mess with things at times if someone doesn't keep the player in check (even if that person is the player themself).

Florian
2016-05-10, 01:16 AM
Alright cool, again my only worry is that since my DM is relatively new he won't think of any of those things on his own. I guess itl be a learning experience as he will have to try and find those things you mentioned.

Then actually show him by using that stuff yourself once. Buy a potion of Mirror Image, use cover or lighting in battle. HeŽll see and learn.

Geddy2112
2016-05-10, 03:35 AM
Dealing a ton of damage at level 7 is not even remotely too powerful. You are one will save away from turning against your caster friends and making them into a pastelike substance. It would be a real shame if a tiny ghost with mirror image cast confusion on you...likewise your charisma is probably not all that great and a couple good hits and you are in a coma. Or maybe you end up grappled, unable to charge, or against a flying enemy? I doubt you can do all that damage from range, even if you have a nice compound bow.

Every class has a weakness.

origomart
2016-05-10, 01:11 PM
Then actually show him by using that stuff yourself once. Buy a potion of Mirror Image, use cover or lighting in battle. HeŽll see and learn.

thats a good idea.

Barstro
2016-05-10, 02:38 PM
yeah i just saw that thread. Atm my guy is level 7 and can get around 42 strength for one round with items.

I'm not unimpressed, but it really has the same effect as several low level spells. In one round, you can pretty much take out a single enemy. Sure, you can do it by blowing apart a body, but that just makes it a messy version of the Slumber hex.

I agree with other statements that it really comes down to having a DM figure out how to counter it and having an in-game reason and ability to do so. Countering a player without a well thought out reason on how it can happen is just poor dues ex machina.

killem2
2016-05-11, 03:46 AM
It's fine. One hold person spell from a strong caster and your going to be coup de graced.

Ettina
2016-05-11, 08:34 AM
Try discussing it with the DM. You can straight out say 'if you think my character is overpowered, try pitting him against X, Y and Z'.

Psyren
2016-05-11, 09:04 AM
Buy a potion of Mirror Image

This item does not exist; Mirror Image is a personal range spell.