PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bé'rûn, the Phoenix-Masters [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-05-10, 03:10 AM
The bé'rûn (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uaU4Eq_m8ai0_37wsi_9Twm5F4zOn3PRcE7fyod4nqs/edit?usp=sharing) are a race of humanoid half-phoenixes (think aarakocra without the wings) in my world, and I'm just wanting to make sure they're balanced before i include them in the sourcebook I'm working on.

For reference in your considerations, here's a link to the demi-phoenix (http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/share/B12lypyG) that the racial document talks about.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-05-10, 03:27 AM
The bé'rûn (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uaU4Eq_m8ai0_37wsi_9Twm5F4zOn3PRcE7fyod4nqs/edit?usp=sharing) are a race of humanoid half-phoenixes (think aarakocra without the wings) in my world, and I'm just wanting to make sure they're balanced before i include them in the sourcebook I'm working on.

First off, balanced or not, this race is interesting, and fairly different from your usual offerings. I like that.

ASIs...good. Almost too good...I'd almost drop something here, but then again, it's less useful than the half elf.

Age...that's some interesting fluff. Good job.

Fires of Purity...fire resistance is always nice.

Legacy of Arkatan...produce flame nice utility with okay damage; find familiar is always nice - this makes it accessible to classes that SHOULD get it (I'm looking at you, Sorcerer); honestly enhance ability is the only one I'm worried about giving out as a racial, out of the 3 spells you gave them.

Phoenix Masters...Okay, I like this. A race-unique familiar is a pretty cool concept. :smallbiggrin: Oh, right, you get Animal Handling too.

For reference in your considerations, here's a link to the demi-phoenix (http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/share/HyhMz1yz) that the racial document talks about.

*book marks* I've been looking for a decent phoenix.

Requiemforlust
2016-05-10, 03:55 AM
I would say that this is great and thematic and all, but if you wanna give the race a buffed familiar, do two things:

1) lose enhanced ability. This will be more than made up for by your CR 1-5 CR 1 pet.
2) drop the familiar's ability to use the Attack action. This is stupid OP because your phoenix does 38 damage per round.

Forget #2, I'm an idiot. I somehow misread the Phoenix Masters feature and thought that they got the full phoenix.

DracoKnight
2016-05-10, 04:04 AM
So that's two votes for drop enhance ability. Done.

RakiReborn
2016-05-10, 04:44 AM
How about making the phoenix attack work as an action, or one of your attacks if you have extra attack, like the beastmaster? This makes it a bit more viable for melee chars, even though the ASI's are not optimal for them. Especially because of the ASI's i dont think it will be too strong.

DracoKnight
2016-05-10, 04:53 AM
How about making the phoenix attack work as an action, or one of your attacks if you have extra attack, like the beastmaster? This makes it a bit more viable for melee chars, even though the ASI's are not optimal for them. Especially because of the ASI's i dont think it will be too strong.

Ah. Thank you. This was the intention :smalltongue:

Final Hyena
2016-05-10, 06:44 AM
I think the race is a smidgen too powerful. Also the Demi-Phoenix feels more like a CR 2 than 1.

DracoKnight
2016-05-10, 06:45 AM
I think the race is a smidgen too powerful. Also the Demi-Phoenix feels more like a CR 2 than 1.

The race is probably just a little bit too powerful still, I agree. But for the demi-phoenix, I literally had the DMG open to the "making a monster" section, and specifically built it out to be a CR 1. DPR, HP, everything, is in line with the guidelines for a CR 1. :smallsmile:

Final Hyena
2016-05-10, 07:15 AM
Lets compare it to a brown bear.

Brown bear has;
+5 to hit
1d8+2d6+4 (15.5) damage
11 ac
34 hp

Demi-Phoenix has;
+2 to hit
2d6+2d8 (16) damage
13 ac
52 hp

Brown bear hits on 8-20 (65%)
Average damage per turn of (9.3/2 non magical) 4.65
Which takes 11.18 rounds to kill

DP hits on 9-20 (60%)
average damage per turn of 9.6
Which takes 3.54 rounds to kill

This isn't even taking into account the value of;
Death burst
Eternal Life
Spellcasting
Damage & condition immunities
Blind/dark vision
Skills
Flight

lets do this again but compare it to a Grick as they both have that magical resistance.

Grick has;
+4 to hit
2d6+2 (9) damage
1d6+2 (5.5) follow up damage
14 ac
27 hp

Demi-Phoenix has;
+2 to hit
2d6+2d8 (16) damage
13 ac
52 hp

Grick hits on 9-20 (60%)
Grick hits first only 24%
(9*0.24) 2.16
Grick hits Both 36%
(14.5*0.36) 5.22
(7.38/2 not magical) 3.69 average damage a turn
Which takes 14.09 rounds to kill

DP hits on 12-20 (45%)
average damage per turn of (7.2 take of one quarter as half is fire) 5.4
Which takes 5 rounds to kill

This isn't even taking into account the value of;
Death burst
Eternal Life
Spellcasting
Damage & condition immunities
Blindsight
Skills
Flight

DracoKnight
2016-05-10, 07:49 AM
Dropped the HP and the resistance to nonmagical weapons.

Final Hyena
2016-05-10, 08:03 AM
I might have missed it in the text, but is there a limit to its eternal life? I remember previous games having a recharge time on such a feature.

DracoKnight
2016-05-10, 08:09 AM
I might have missed it in the text, but is there a limit to its eternal life? I remember previous games having a recharge time on such a feature.

There is not currently a recharge, but if your familiar (specific find familiar over general demi-phoenix eternal life) dies, you have to resummon them through casting find familiar.

EDIT: Eternal Life as a feature is intended more for DMs who want an NPC phoenix or demi-phoenix.

Final Hyena
2016-05-10, 08:30 AM
That keeps it balanced from a player using that spell perspective not from the creatures though.

All hail our new Phoenix overlords!

DracoKnight
2016-05-10, 12:15 PM
That keeps it balanced from a player using that spell perspective not from the creatures though.

All hail the Ember Enclave!

GandalfTheWhite
2016-05-10, 06:51 PM

All hail the Ember Enclave!

We owe our lives to the almighty Arkaten who lives and dies for our sins. May his light never die as we spread his wings across the earth in a holy embrace.

DracoKnight
2016-05-10, 06:52 PM
We owe our lives to the almighty Arkaten who lives and dies for our sins. May his light never die as we spread his wings across the earth in a holy embrace.

What is dead shall rise again.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-05-10, 06:52 PM
What is dead shall rise again.

We should definitely make more deities together :smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2016-05-11, 01:00 PM
Are there any more thoughts as to the balance of the race itself?

Rerem115
2016-05-11, 01:37 PM
Overall, I feel the class is stronger than average. No one ability seems overpowered, but the fact the abilities combined gives almost the entire half-elf kit as well as the best part of a fire genasi gives this race a not inconsequential leg up on other races. If the average racial power level is equal to this in your setting, then by all means feel free to use it, but if you have an otherwise standard power level, proceed with caution. Again, the race isn't overpowered per say, it just gets a notably higher level of bonuses.

KoyukiTei13
2016-06-22, 04:47 PM
Just want to say when I looked at the homebrewery for the demi-phoenix, all of the fluff text was off the page. Did one of the images get removed?

Here's a screenshot: http://puu.sh/pCkV2/4cc7c9ee24.jpg

DracoKnight
2016-06-22, 04:53 PM
Just want to say when I looked at the homebrewery for the demi-phoenix, all of the fluff text was off the page. Did one of the images get removed?

Here's a screenshot: http://puu.sh/pCkV2/4cc7c9ee24.jpg

Nothing got removed - the homebrewery just doesn't like mobile, or really anything but Chrome. My apologies for it screwing up.

ZZSlider
2016-06-22, 05:10 PM
Not exactly a balance thought, but do you think there would ever be an evil Bé'rûn? There are a lot of cool immortality or fire related plots that could make a creature of this race an interesting villian. Or at least in my head.

DracoKnight
2016-06-22, 05:18 PM
Not exactly a balance thought, but do you think there would ever be an evil Bé'rûn? There are a lot of cool immortality or fire related plots that could make a creature of this race an interesting villian. Or at least in my head.

There totally could be an evil Bé'rûn ^_^

I know it says that they tend to be good - but that's not universal, just like not every half-Orc or Drow is evil :smallsmile: