PDA

View Full Version : What is the coolest move you ever pulled off?

AkazilliaDeNaro
2016-05-10, 02:48 PM
So as the title says, What is the coolest move you ever pulled off in a session.

Mine is this.
Last Saturday, in our D&D 3.5 campaign, Me and my friend were fighting snake people(still don't know what they were) in a room with varying elevations.

One of the snake people was on a board 40 ft. up. I was dual wielding a pair of chain-kamas with 10 ft. reach.

So, to get to him we had my friend jump on to a block 20 ft' up(insane jumping skills) and he had me run and jump at him, while he used his chain-kama and mighty throw maneuver to throw me onto a block 10 ft' away from the last snake person, while I screamed "FASTBALL SPECIAL!".

The snake guy was stunned and flatfooted so i got to full attack sneak attack him, we will see if we were being colossally stupid or incredibly smart this Saturday, as the session ended after I attacked.

So, coolest thing you did?

Deepbluediver
2016-05-10, 06:43 PM
Coolest ever? I dunnoh about that, some of my memories are kinda fuzzy.
But I can probably think of a few decently awesome ones.

There was the time I went through an entire dungeon crawl and my wizard accumulated a grand total of 3 (not a typo) HP worth of damage in the whole thing, when all of the rest of the group had to be healed up several times over.

There was the time when our low-level group was up against a bunch of skeletons and my Monk's unarmed strikes and quarterstaff comprised 66% of our entire party's bludgeoning weapons (the skeletons were largely immune to slashing and piercing damage). The other 33% was the Rogue's Sap.

Finally there was the time when I managed to hide my race from the rest of the group for 4-and-half entire sessions, got into a fight with pile of Drow (many of which I killed personally), then collapsed from some poison. My group of course took the opportunity to find out that I was ALSO Drow, and were inspired to have a rather intense in-character debate about whether they should kill me or not before I woke up while I sat by sweating bullets since I wasn't allowed to speak on my own behalf.

illyahr
2016-05-10, 06:54 PM
I had one where we were infiltrating a drow city. We were going to help a less-evil house take down a more-evil one, but couldn't do more than guerrilla tactics on lesser supply lines. We decided to spy on the house and see if we could find any weaknesses.

We all had used magic to make us look like drow so we pretended to be a pilgrim and her bodyguards from another city. Except me. As a bard, and a very talkative one, I had to pretend to make sure not to speak or risk letting on we weren't what we said we were. We passed it off that I had made a vow not to speak unless performing (my perform and diplomacy skills were maxed with shenanigans). When I put on a performance for a lesser member of the house, I convinced her that the music was only the first part (through more and more suggestive lyrics) and that I was equally skilled in other...performances.

The lesser scion was impressed by both performances and recommended me to her mother, the head of the house. As the others were gathering info on the house in order to report back, I was distracting the Matron Mother of the house with my performances. The group learned some interesting information that could be used against the house, but the point was moot after it was discovered that the Matron Mother had become pregnant and given birth to a "non-drow" child. The house lost all favor and fell to infighting and sanctions from the top houses.

I also have a couple characters who broke the campaign in my extended signature, below.

Admiral Squish
2016-05-10, 07:32 PM
I was a xen'drik drow scout with a bladed chain in an eberron campaign. I stayed behind with the airship while the rest of the party went off to do some investigation. That is, of course, when the ship got attacked by agents of the new cyre insurgency. There was one on a narrow walkway in front of me, then two more on the main deck, on the far side of the open cargo hatch, menacing the pilot. I tumble through the first one so I could get within reach of all of them, then attack the first guy from behind, only to roll an almost-max damage crit plus skirmish damage on the attack and kill him in one hit. So what we decided happened was I charged the guy, unfurled my chain, did a baseball slide through his legs and lifted the chain up as I passed through, so the blades chainsawed his leg completely off. The other two decided I was a bigger threat than the pilot, and tried to move around the cargo hatch in opposite directions, to flank me. But with combat reflexes, and very lucky dice, I scored two or three AoOs on each along the way. So, after sawing off the one guy's leg, I stood and spun the chain out at full extension in a whirlwind of blades, catching them by surprise, and while they were staggered from the first cuts, I brought it in, took hold of the dagger-like ends and sent one flying at each of the attackers, points sinking into their throats.
And that's how I killed three bad guys in a single round.
Of course, after that, it turned out there was a fourth who'd snuck around below-decks to silence our prisoner, and thankfully, I managed to stop him, but I didn't really get a chance to revel in my triumphant awesomeness at the time.

Is it strange that there are this many drow-based stories already?

Deepbluediver
2016-05-10, 07:43 PM
Is it strange that there are this many drow-based stories already?
I don't think so- maybe it's just because I had a Drow-story and it kind of set the tone?

The Drow have certainly featured in a lot of different campaigns for a variety of reasons- for a while during 3.5's heyday they were pretty popular (if sometimes only as a punching-bag).

Joe the Rat
2016-05-10, 08:09 PM
I had a Kobold Fighter/Thief that nearly solo'd a raider camp by turning their own traps against them. Climbed into the trees, waited for them to finish their deadfall log trap, then set it off while they admired their handiwork. That sort of thing.

BWR
2016-05-11, 01:51 AM
One PC of mine mouthed off to the gods.
The gods had literally come down to earth and started hashing out their disagreements using their mortal followers. Thing is, these gods are family and not really enemies so it was just senseless slaughter for the sake of pride. So my character goes up to them and basically tells them to stop acting like careless, whiny children and start acting like responsible gods, and he wasn't all that polite about it either. This level of blasphemy and disrespect would easily have seen him, his family and his entire clan put to death.
Fortunately, the gods got their heads out of their arses and stopped bickering and got on with what they had really come to earth to do, leaving him alone.

JohanOfKitten
2016-05-11, 03:02 AM
Once, my group came in front of a Balor as we were only level 12 with a very exhaustive day and few ressources. Without much hope but nothing else to do to save the party, I tried fantasmal killer on him. The DM laughed at me, saying that the Balor's saves were to high... (indeed, I had only 2.5% to make it work)
He missed the first and win the second by 1 only. The balor was really pissed and declare I would die first. We had to flee to a cursed maze to avoid his wrath.
But I almost killed a balor in one turn. And I had the pleasure to see him wet his pant by seing his worst nightmare before he dealt with the spell

applevalley
2016-05-11, 03:07 AM
Tossup between a Deathwatch game and my first DnD 5e game.

DnD 5e:

I was playing a Folk Hero fighter, Lawful Good feller, who was known for his opposition to the local despot and for helping the people establish parallel structures to try and bring them out of the overlord's control.

The awesome part was that we were in a building meeting someone, and some thugs jumped out at us. I'm up on a top indoor balcony/terrace thing, and this halfling charges me with two knives. I've got no weapon at hand and he stabs me twice, dragging down a lot of my hp.

"Erm...I grab the halfling!" Roll succeeds.

"Alright, then moving on to-"

"Wait, I'm still not done."

"What do you mean? All you have left is-"

"I use my move action, still holding the halfling, to bull rush him and myself off the ledge."

"...."

So yeah. I piledrove a halfling into the ground from a story up. Killed him, knocked myself out at -exactly- 0HP.

Deathwatch was similarly acrobatic. I was playing a Grey Hunter, and we're fighting some nasty Ork gits. One of them, a pretty big Nob, hits me hard enough to send me over the edge of the bridge. Basically everyone thinks I'm done for, but communicating with my DM through texts, we resolve my rolls and establish I'd grabbed the edge of the bridge and swung myself under it. Nob is standing there with a Big Shoota and hosing down a bunch of guys, with his Boyz attacking in enough numbers to keep driving my squadmates back. That is, until my Krak grenade blows a hole right under him in the bridge and he plummets to the water below, and my guy climbs up out of the hole to proceed to pour bolter fire into the Boyz' backs.

Good times!

RazorChain
2016-05-11, 06:45 AM
We were playing Gurps in the Warhammer Fantasy setting. After the whole group had a hard time beating a feral vampire we failed to stop an omnious event where a Blood Dragon Vampire Lord woke up.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Dragon

Now the other players just wanted to bail as we knew we had no chance beating this Vampire Lord. But as I was playing a utterly fearless Ulrican called Maximilan, I refused to leave the village and it's inhabitants to their fate. So alone I marched with my zwei-hander and met the Vampire Lord at the outskirt of the village. After a courteous greetings a battle commenced, the vampire attacked Max relentlessly but Max managed to defend himself. Then Max attacked aiming at the Vampire Lord's neck.....A CRITICAL! I rolled on the critical table and got triple normal damage. Max was a big guy and I rolled 20 damage with my zwei hander which was tripled for 60. The vampire had damage reduction 10 and neck damage is doubled so it was total 100 in damage. The Game master looked at me in dismay and said "Ok in a single stroke Max chops off the vampire lords head". Then Max headed back to the village and had himself some beer.

Cluedrew
2016-05-11, 07:04 AM
The moment I saw this thread title a very particular story popped into mind.

So, we stole something from the top floor of a skyscraper and were making our escape by helicopter when some guy rushes out and grabs onto the landing rail of the copter. He starts poring lightning bolts into the helicopter and the engine freaks out.

Now there were three of us, the pilot and two in the back standing above Mr. Lightening (never got his real name). One of the guys in the back starts attacking Mr. L's hand. Do to some terrible roles he ends up hurting himself more than Mr. L. So then its my turn.

Me: "I jump out of the helicopter."
GM: "... You realize that if you fall you will be dead right?"
Me: "Yes, let me explain."

So Kevin (my character) jumps out of the helicopter, grabs onto the rail beside Mr. L and stabs him with a knife. Mr. L is actually pretty tough so it takes a second knife through the heart to drop him (luckily my character had another up his sleeve). Even then he managed to let loose another burst of electivity which caused the helicopter to burst into a Hollywood fireball.

Kevin pulls himself back into the helicopter and fixes his suit. Because he was wearing a full suit the whole time.

That's my story, the time I jumped out of the helicopter.

Also, good stories from other people. I've enjoyed them.

Democratus
2016-05-11, 07:11 AM
A character in my game was swallowed by a purple worm. He activated his immovable rod while inside it.

Next time the worm lunged at someone the rod blew out the back of his wormy head. Dead worm.

Love creative use of magic.

Thorin Ironfist
2016-05-11, 10:06 AM
Here's mine:

Playing 5e homebrew, we are questing through this dungeon and we come upon the pre-boss standing in front of a podium that we need to put some gems in. I play a dwarven fighter with a tank roll. Our DPS guy kicks in the door to the boss room and we see this undead warrior. The DPS guy charges the undead who then grabs our party member and literally sucks the life out of him. I charge in after him and the undead guy stabs with his bastard sword at me, and it just bounces off my armor (my armor class is 22, which is nice, but could be better.) I proceed to get buffed by our healer and our still somehow alive dps guy, and I firmly plant my warhammer directly between the undead's ribs and he just goes flying into a wall. Insta-oneshot on the pre-boss.

Tied with this one though, but we never did it because our ranger doesn't like fighting:
In the same dungeon, there was an ogre with a gem we need and he is in a room. I hide around the wall of the hallway leading to the room, and the party leads the ogre into a room near the hallway (the map is kinda a T shape.) The plan was that if they couldn't get the gem, I would slam my warhammer into the back of his knee, bringing him to the ground for the DPS guy to beat on. However, they managed to buy it from the ogre for a couple gold.

AdmiralCheez
2016-05-11, 10:38 AM
Our party got ambushed by two young adult dragons in the open desert. Somehow, over the course of the battle, I managed to climb on top of one of them, slash at its head, dive off in full plate armor, and manage to hit the other dragon in mid-air with a crit from a scythe before falling a hundred feet to the sandy dunes below. And I lived to tell the tale.

Balmas
2016-05-11, 10:46 AM
It was the final boss fight of a long, desert PF campaign. We were five level seven adventurers: two rangers, a paladin, a monk, and myself, a mad bomber alchemist. We faced off against two knights on the surface of an active volcano; if we didn't stop them, the world would end. Paladin bull-rushed one of them off the edge of the mountain and jumped down to engage them there, followed by the monk and the melee ranger. I spent a round chugging an infusion of Fly, and used a feat to spit it back out so the bow-ranger could follow me up into the air.

My first inkling that we might be in trouble was when the armored figure on the ledge below us opened up with chain lightning. 12d6 damage, straight to both of us.

I kinda gave the DM a look. You know the one, the one that says "What the hell is this." He just grinned. Yeah, five level sevens vs. a pair of level 12.

The ranger and I both used our turns to bombard the sorceress. I'd crafted some alchemical arrows for the ranger, so he was doing alright, even with the elemental resistance of the armor the sorceress was wearing. Me? I had my bombs. I had no problem chugging an extract to double the damage of my bombs for the duration of the fight, so between all the feats and my freakish Intelligence, they were each doing 8d6+8 frost damage. That seems to have been our saving grace, because the DM hadn't planned on us being able to do so much damage through her armor.

Downhill, the fight is not going well. The paladin has managed to knock the knight into a stream of lava, but not before the knight downed the monk and the melee ranger. The knight isn't dying, though; she wades back towards the paladin, her armor absorbing most of the damage from the lava. Paladin pulls a Captain America, and proceeds to throw his shield, his sword, and his warhammer at the knight, and misses every shot.

I get knocked out by a second chain lightning, but my two bombs allowed the ranger to get the killing blow on the sorceress. So I'm hanging dead in the air at -8HP but stable. The knight crawls out of the lava, armor steaming and hissing, and punches the paladin to the negatives.

It is now that I realize that I have seven bombs left in my pouch. I lean over, and whisper to the ranger. He nods, and starts collecting me and my affects from the air. I'm limp, unconscious, but the fly potion is still active. So he grabs me, and pushes me towards the knight. The knight who just crawled out of the lava. The knight who is still on fire. I can still picture the knight's look of dawning realization as I soared towards her, right before seven bombs went off simultaneously. The knight ate 56d6+56 damage, right to the face.

And so, Preston the Perspicacious, mad bomber extraordinaire, got the ending he desired. The volcano was destroyed, the world was saved, and the ranger who used me as a suicide bomb was the only one who survived.

Best ending ever.

Knaight
2016-05-11, 11:48 AM
And so, Preston the Perspicacious, mad bomber extraordinaire, got the ending he desired. The volcano was destroyed, the world was saved, and the ranger who used me as a suicide bomb was the only one who survived.

Best ending ever.

I have a similar story, albeit as GM.

I was GMing the final session of my Port Alhabri game, where the PCs are members of the old alchemists guild. They had returned to their city from an exile, met up with some local resistance, and were preparing to take the fight to the man who had destroyed their guild, gotten them kicked out of the city, and quite probably sent his psychopathic niece after them to kill them while they were away*. The assassination plan got leaked though, so instead of a clean fight it turned into a giant mess. The four mercenaries the PCs brought with them turned against them midway through, paid off by another enemy - and very capable. The area turned out to have hidden guards, as the target wanted the attack to happen.

However, the PCs had a secret weapon; they had managed to infuse the air of the house with a low concentration of explosive gas, and had a nasty little vial that would blow the whole place up, if they could just get it into the center. By the time they're even in position to throw it, one of the PCs is dead, and another two are dying, with both of the people with a throwing skill worth anything down for the count. As soon as they got said thing it was jokingly referred to as TPK juice, and now the party alchemist, a noncombatant with a weak throwing arm, was about to lob said explosive into the house while in the middle of a chaotic battle the PCs were losing. It's a desperate, last ditch effort.

He misses. The minimum roll is made (-3, 1/27 chance of happening), added to the completely untrained throwing skill, and it's just horribly inadequate to make the distance. So the vial hits a column near the outside of the house instead of sailing into an inner room, and blows up about thirty feet closer to the PCs than intended. There's a massive explosion, killing almost everyone. The game ends with the last two PCs limping away while the guards show up, one of them getting shot down, and the only survivor managing to escape by jumping into the canals and hanging on to the underside of a boat while half dead.

As for their target? He was blown through his own roof, about another fifteen feet up, and then he landed on the stone streets of the city from what would be a 45 foot fall. Revenge was had.

*He hadn't, but he had sent said niece after them a few times before that, and she did kill a PC after choosing to follow them of her own volition, so it's still incentive to kill the guy.

LordFluffy
2016-05-11, 12:46 PM
Playing Spelljammer in D&D 2nd ed with a GM who was OK with us using the Spellcraft proficiency to tweak spells. I was playing a bard who, with the help of another caster, combined True Sight, Web and Magic Missile to launch an unerring, guided web at an invisible ship that was tearing us to pieces. It hits, we know where it is and blew it to bits.

More by the book, though, I was playing in the Imagine RPG (think 3.5 but less polished, more overengineered). The system included called shots. Our party was discussing important business when my character hears a sound and realizes that there's a slit in the wall that could be used to spy on us. Without warning, I threw a dagger at the slot. Made the called shot and hear a scream from someone's underling.

When we were leaving, my character looks at the underling's master and said, "I'll be expecting my dagger back."

razorback
2016-05-11, 01:12 PM
In Star Wars (forget which edition), we were a rebel band who, during the adventure, had been captured and brought on to a Star Destroyer. I was a Droid Tech of some variety and being considered more of an item than being sentient, I was able to move about the ship freely. I was able to set up two shuttles to be fully fueled and readies, then set aside for 'maintenance' on the far side of the hanger bay. After setting up a clear path for the others to get from the detention area to the hanger, had order sent so only 1 guard was on duty and then unlocked their cells, allowing the rest of the party to escape.
From there we made it down to the hanger and on the shuttle we didn't take I had removed all of the safety overrides on the hyperdrive along with coordinates to make the jump to hyperdrive from the cargo bay straight to just outside the nearby sun.
Once we had our shuttle ready and started to lift off, causing all kinds of commotion, we sent the signal and made our escape out of the new shuttlebay exit, as I couldn't override the main bay door.
Completely caught the DM off guard but, as we made our escape, he had a big smile on his face.

wardonis
2016-05-11, 07:29 PM
Playing 3.5. We were on a ship and a kraken popped up out of the water. My character is a 13 yr old fighter with engineering skillz. I tie a rope onto the base of a seated balista, run it up to a pulley on the top of the second mast, climb down and then run it up to the top of the first mast (the one closest to the kraken). I grab an axe and chop at the 1st mast to weaken it and then run over and tie myself into the balista. Mind you I had to succeed climb checks and engineering checks to do this when the ship is rocking because it is being batted around like a cat toy by this kraken.

DMs like WTF are you doing lol. After I explained he rolls a d100 and sure enough the kraken grabs the 1st mast and yanks. The rope snaps the balista off it's mount and I sail through the air and take a shot with no way to reload. I roll a 20, confirm it with a 20 and confirm that with a 20.

Bam, I just 1 shot a kraken. Then the balista wrapped itself around the mast and nearly crushed my character. DM almost made me reroll for ruining his plot device. In my groups this is the origin of the term "a complicated set of pulleys and levers"

hymer
2016-05-12, 12:04 AM
Warhammer rules, but the rules had little to do with it. One of the PCs was the newly created baron (and another the baroness, I think?), and we arrived to the barony to find it disorderly to say the least. One of our problems was the local mafia from Kislev, bad guys who had hoppped the border to escape the law. Now they were terrorizing the town/village like the mob.
So we investigate them for a few days (including a delightful encounter in their sausage shop where the leader was very polite and very menacing at the same time, kudos to the GM there), and then round them up in small groups and keep them apart. Then I interrogate them.
I start out by leading them on to think specific lies will sound like they're innocent, and then confront other members with that lie. And then I just keep on doing that, making it more and more obvious they're lying, and making them all think someone else in the gang is cutting a deal to get out, but sounding steadily more chummy with a particular member. They get defensive, and the truth starts seeping out along with the lies.
Finally, the gang leader blows a gasket and shouts his confession at me Jack Nicholson-style. And then we hanged the lot. No torture, no rough stuff, and very little blood in the street. The baron had arrived. :smallcool:

Edit: I recall we were going to hang a halfling as well, who sold bad pies that gave you stomach troubles. He was involved with the gang as well. But the GM protested "You can't hang him, he's so small!" So we didn't, I still don't understand why.

goto124
2016-05-12, 02:31 AM
Edit: I recall we were going to hang a halfling as well, who sold bad pies that gave you stomach troubles. He was involved with the gang as well. But the GM protested "You can't hang him, he's so small!" So we didn't, I still don't understand why.

This OotS strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0165.html) explains why.

hymer
2016-05-12, 04:04 AM
This OotS strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0165.html) explains why.

I guess we should've just thrown him from the highest tower, instead. :smalltongue:

goto124
2016-05-12, 07:18 AM
Or tighten the rope yourself!

hifidelity2
2016-05-12, 09:00 AM
While playing Star Wars (D6)

It was early in the game and the DM was still letting us learn the system – so decided to have a bar fight to introduce us to combat

Anyway I was playing a young Jedi and while the fight was going on sat at the back with a “beer”.

We started with a local gang coming into the bar and attacking one of the party – soon all of the party (except me) involved in a fight
After a bit the DM sent in some storm troopers to bust some heads and one pulled a blaster and fired it at me

I asked if I could use a force point and was told yes - so my Character

Put down his drink
Drew his Lightsabre
Activated his Powers
Parried the bolt back to the storm trooper, knocking him out
Sheathed his lightsabre
Picked up his drink

DM said the bar went quiet and the local toughs who has started the fight apologised and quietly left

Quertus
2016-05-12, 03:30 PM
Tough call.

There was the time I had a 5th level character enter an arena unarmed, and solo 6 minotaurs.

There was the time that same character went blow for blow with a god of war (still went unconscious first, due to having fewer HP / dealing less damage).

There was the time one of my characters killed a drow priestess using nothing but the ropes she had bound me with after taking me prisoner.

There was the time that same character killed an ancient dragon by leaving dozens of invisible poisoned spikes on its favorite perch.

There was the time that same character became party Face...

There was the time my signature character risked his life to protect a dark naga, winning its trust and friendship (she has accompanied him ever since).

There was the time that my character had no idea what Beads of Karma were, beyond a holy relic, and accidentally used them to summon his god - while the party was fighting a weak avatar of an opposed deity.

But possibly the coolest trick I ever pulled was from the creature you'd least expect.

I was running a character with... a lot of tricks. Very early on, the DM gave me the perfect opportunity, so I showed him exactly what I could do.

A group of bandits were fighting the party, and had been kind enough to form a straight line. So I killed them all with a lightning bolt. At first level.

Now, my character involved a bit of home brew (otherwise, by the books, he would have been unable to cast invocations, like lightning bolt). In casting this spell, he had had to make several rolls, and had been more likely to explode in a ball of flame than to actually get the spell off. He also had burned all of his daily resources, and literally bent time and space... to deal d6 damage.

But the DM was convinced of the character's awesome power. What helped sustain this illusion was the fact that most of my characters are rather cowardly, preferring not to get in over their heads. This guy didn't know the meaning of the word fear, and would attempt to intimidate literally anyone or anything to do his bidding.

We may have made it to second level by the time we ran into a pack of ogres in a dungeon. While the party was glad that the ogres hadn't spotted us, we needed to get past them.

So my character boldly walks forward, and addresses the ogres. He convinced them to go get the rest of their kin (a lucky guess), and he explains to them all that they will be working for him - and his group - from here on out. He negotiates terms with the stupid creatures, basically getting them to do what they were already doing, except to not kill us in the process.

Once it was safe, the rest of the party showed up, and we rested, in the area secured by our new ogre guards.

The DM pulled me aside, and asked what I would have done if the ogres had attacked. I shrugged. "Died. I mean, I had a plan, but it probably wouldn't have worked, not against that many ogres, not when my character is squishy AC 10 mage in melee range."

And time (and levels) later, we encounter a demon... probably a balor. It holds one of our party hostage (as they get sucked into its extradimensional prison when they open it). My character walks up to the entrance, casts protection from evil, and begins negotiations with the demon. The paladin walks up beside me, but keeps quiet.

Negotiations start with the demon being haughty, and threatening his hostage. My character doesn't budge.

Later, it seems more uncertain, and starts making offers most would be grateful to accept, and run away with their lives. My character doesn't budge.

Eventually, the demon practically begs us to tell it what we want. Inwardly surprised, my character makes a simple deal (that doesn't exactly please the paladin), and we "let the demon go".

Eventually, I realize what has happened. The demon saw what spell I had cast, and was measuring the duration. Although my spell had long worn off, it appeared to still be running, because of the proximity of the paladin. So, to the demon, we appeared to be so completely beyond it, beyond the gods themselves, that it felt lucky to not have irritated us by temporarily cuddling one of our number.

Yeah, my low level character intimidated a balor. And got a written account if its history out of the deal.

And why was he the last person you'd expect? Well, because he was this sickly yellow humanoid dressed in filthy rags. I don't think he picked up any items the whole time I played him.

Hunter Noventa
2016-05-13, 02:34 PM
Well there was that time my fighter saved a princess from being magically compelled into marriage after being thrown into the chapel by a giant eagle and disemboweling a (stick-in-the-rear and possibly magically compelled) paladin twice her level with some lucky crits.

Then there was the time we cleared out half of a dungeon with biological warfare by dropping a crate full of brown mold with several vials of alchemist fire strapped to it down the well that led to said dungeon.

Or the time my character, a gestalt Swordsage/Soulknife variant, fought off what amounted to a Berserker Evangelion in human form all on her own while the rest of the party used the airship and our complement of giant robots to fight off his army. Ah, I miss that campaign sometimes. Makes me wonder when we'll do Gestalt shenanigans again.

braveheart
2016-05-13, 02:59 PM
This isn't mine, but i was GMing and let it fly because of the shear level of awesome.

I was running an avatar the last airbender one off using a homebrew syste, and the players decided that they should launch the waterbender over the army and into the enemy commander (big fire nation army) this guy had a giant sword made of fire, and could shoot lightning, so i had them roll to launch the waterbender (using earthbending) into the air, another to make a lightning rod take the lightning so that it wouldn't hit the waterbender, another to put out a section of the fire sword on the way in with water, and then another to plunge the waterbenders sword into the commanders chest. they passed all but the check to put out the fire sword (third degree burns for the waterbender) but still managed to plunge his sword into the commander.

he then fell in the center of the enemy army, blacked out from pain, and died.

RyumaruMG
2016-05-13, 05:59 PM
Back when D&D 5th Edition was still in public beta as D&D NEXT, I got to do one of the table events at PAX Prime. It was a pretty cool setup - each table in the hall was a different party of adventurers visiting Candlekeep, on their own business, when a dragon and his army of devil cultists attacked. Each table had an objective to complete and then a tower to defend as an acolyte chanted a divine shield spell to protect Candlekeep. The dragon went from tower to tower - table to table - attacking acolytes. Groups that did enough damage drove him off to the next table.

Now when my group fought him, we were ready and willing to fight this guy to the death. Me, playing a ranger, did a good chunk of the damage to the dragon himself as his minions got hacked up by the rest of the party. So when he flies off, we decide as a group that we're not going to just let him go.

My ranger quickly ties a rope to one of his arrows, nocks, and lets fly. It's a hit! Huge dragon now has a rope trailing off of him, but he's already flying away.

Cue dramatic music. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbaz5gwtQOA)

My ranger charges, screaming, and leaps from the tower, rolling well enough to grab the end of the rope and hang on for dear life.

It is at this point that the DM confers with a couple other officials. After a moment or two of discussion, he says "well, come on, I'll show you where to sit now." Meaning the dragon hauled me over to the next tower.

I hop to the next table, introduce myself, and we keep going. I stay on his back and hack away in melee as the new group keeps going. Eventually they drive him off, but I'm still hanging on. So the DM has me make a Dex check...

Succeeded with flying colors. Off I go to another table!

Now this is where it gets slightly less awesome, because despite how much damage I do, I get thrown off this time, but we beat the dragon back, and within... the next two tables, I think, the dragon was finally dead and Candlekeep saved.

I still have the character sheet! :smallbiggrin:

EvilestWeevil
2016-05-13, 07:15 PM
In 3.5 I had a rogue with bracers of the moon, which allowed for you to dimension door once per day. We were underground and looking for a key to an ancient dracolich lair, I found the key by pure accident. I was swallowed by a purple worm, which had eaten the key. So I grabbed it and dim doored the hell out of that worm, then we ran like little children in the night. I still have fond memories of those old 3.5 games, lots of fun.

Inevitability
2016-05-14, 10:40 AM
Or tighten the rope yourself!

Or use the halfling as a rope swing to provide the necessary weight! :belkar:

Iris
2016-05-15, 02:30 PM
In my first ever campaign, I was playing an elf ranger, Talaiporia. He had befriended one of the children from the village we were planning on saving from a nearby group of bandits (maybe 100 bandits, we were like level 3. The DM liked to throw hordes of low-level monsters at his players.).

Long story short, Talaiporia and the centaur in our party (ranger? fighter? doesn't matter) are reduced to negative HP in the battle, and the rest of the party leaves us behind, as they're barely alive themselves and there's no time to save us. We are taken captive.

The leader of the bandits, a giant, has a disagreement with his sidekick, the human who is the one actually pulling all the strings. The giant is convinced that the human is plotting against him (which isn't a bad guess). I hear this argument and make note of it.

Later, I break out. I manage to get out of the hideout, but they realize I'm gone and I have to climb up on the roof to escape them. I manage to grab some sharp hoof picks from the stables on the way, and hide them in my pockets. They convince me to get down by holding the centaur hostage, though.
Talaiporia is then tortured and interrogated by the giant, with the human standing by. He holds out, though, rolling some 20s on his Con saving throws - and when the giant asks where the rest of my party is, I just look at him and say, "I could never betray my friends."
Giant's face kind of crumples and he orders the bandits throwing rocks at me to stop it and bandage me up. The human sighs and goes and fetches the centaur, my character's best friend in the party. He takes out a gun and shoots the centaur in the head. Insta-kill. Guns are deadly.

That night, the kid from the village shows up. He cuts my bonds and we sneak out.
The human follows us.
I notice he's there after a bit and turn, pushing the kid behind me. I trade banter with the human, and after a bit, realize he's there to kill me. I tell the kid to run. He does. As soon as the kid is out from behind me, Bandit Guy takes aim and shoots... at the kid.
I figure out what he's doing.
And leap in front of the bullet.
And roll a natural 20, on my check to get shot.
The kid escapes.
I duel the bandit leader, me with my hoof picks and him with his gun.
Reduce him to 1 HP, even though he drinks three Potions of Healing during the fight.
Then the army of ghosts that the rest of the party had summoned comes along and tears him to shreds.
And I drop unconscious, at 0 HP.

It was truly epic.

roarinflames
2016-05-18, 12:28 AM
As part of a railroady finish to an otherwise spectacle filled game, our DM decided he was going to wipe the party with an encounter against the illithid god Ilsensine (we were 18th level). He honestly expected a trivial fight from all of us, but was left surprised when my Iot7FV/archmage teamed up with our party's spellsword to actually put up a solid match. As the rest of the party was killed off in the first couple rounds, the spellsword managed to do like 40 damage before joining them, leaving me to fight off a greater deity alone.
However, problems arose when the DM realized he couldn't actually hit me due to my veils and layers of abjurant protections. So he proceeded to open up CoArcane and began dispelling my veils (using the specific spells needed) round after round, leaving me with only the last veil remaining.
At this point in the fight, I had already conjured a sudden-maximized Black Blade of Disaster and, with insane luck, hit twice and rolled 2 nat 20s on the SR rolls (the only way i could best it), dealing a total of 80 points to the elder deity. So when the moment came for the final veil to go, the DM cast Dispel Magic.

And this was the point where our DM found out I took Reactionary Counterspelling for my Archmage ability on my last level up. I countered with Greater Dispel, granting myself the advantage. The DM stopped, high fived me, then said, "congratulations, you just managed to strip an elder god of half of their magical abilities with their own strength."
And then he remembered that greater deities get salient divine abilities and killed me with no save to end the session.

TLDR, ecl18 mage gets insane luck, strips a greater deity of most of their firepower, and survives 9 rounds toe-to-toe with Ilsensine.

GrayGriffin
2016-05-18, 01:35 AM
I once intimidated a presence attempting to invade my mind into stopping its attempts. Admittedly that led to it waking up the bugs of the forest and trying to kill me and my Pokemon directly. Later on, when we were moving through the same forest, its trees gained an aura that started trying to separate us from each other. I proceeded to ask if I could intimidate the trees into dropping their auras. The DM said it would take a very high roll. I proceeded to roll 23 on 3d6+6. The aura disappeared completely.

In another game, I shot the main villain in the climatic confrontation, knocking him out of a tree and killing him, thus also denying him an opportunity to use his tank against us.

prufock
2016-05-18, 10:11 AM
Playing a 19th-level game as a sorcerer/dread witch/nightmare spinner. The game revolved around a cult of Tiamat creating a godslaying sword artifact, and us trying to stop/react to it. Last session, the cult invades our fort, the BBEG has the godslayer, and the party is split up handling things all over the place. The BBEG comes face to face with me, and the sucker is pretty fearless, making his will saves quite successfully and getting some level of protection from the sword. Time for a change of plans.

I exit the area (I think I shifted planes, but it might have been a simple teleport, not sure), buffed myself with every CL-increasing spell and ability I had, and shifted back, all in the span of a few rounds. One telekinesis later, and I disarmed the big bad of his godslayer, and floated it over to my own hand. Awesome moment, to see the look on the DM's face. Of course, turns out, holding the godslayer was a bad move. Its Ego was very high, and I rolled poorly to resist.

So now I'm the big bad.

I spent the remainder of the session trying to complete the cult's ritual (summon gods into human sacrifices' bodies to kill them) while the party tried to stop me. It was pretty intense.

Inevitability
2016-05-18, 02:15 PM
Playing a 19th-level game as a sorcerer/dread witch/nightmare spinner. The game revolved around a cult of Tiamat creating a godslaying sword artifact, and us trying to stop/react to it. Last session, the cult invades our fort, the BBEG has the godslayer, and the party is split up handling things all over the place. The BBEG comes face to face with me, and the sucker is pretty fearless, making his will saves quite successfully and getting some level of protection from the sword. Time for a change of plans.

I exit the area (I think I shifted planes, but it might have been a simple teleport, not sure), buffed myself with every CL-increasing spell and ability I had, and shifted back, all in the span of a few rounds. One telekinesis later, and I disarmed the big bad of his godslayer, and floated it over to my own hand. Awesome moment, to see the look on the DM's face. Of course, turns out, holding the godslayer was a bad move. Its Ego was very high, and I rolled poorly to resist.

So now I'm the big bad.

I spent the remainder of the session trying to complete the cult's ritual (summon gods into human sacrifices' bodies to kill them) while the party tried to stop me. It was pretty intense.

Rule 26 of D&D: don't touch the obviously evil sword. My players learned that one the hard way.

Rakoa
2016-05-18, 04:56 PM
1E D&D.

We someone had managed to recruit a...medusa, I think, into our party, as an NPC. She was an archer or something. She liked to wander off on her own every now and then, and we had gotten used to ignoring her.

At the end of some dungeon, I, the Rogue, was prowling around behind the evil villainess's throne while the party initiated the confrontation from below. Just as the fight starts, one of her bodyguards whips out a bow notched with a poison arrow and aims it at the villainess's head. Turns out our Medusa had infiltrated the enemy's forces. The villainess idly casts Hold Person without even looking, pretty badass.

And then bam, I leap out from behind the throne, grab that arrow, and roll a crit to stab the villainess. It goes right into her eye with sneak attack damage, as the deadly poison sets in. I didn't actually end her with that one, but the fight was an easy one afterwards, needless to say.

BootStrapTommy
2016-05-18, 05:25 PM
I once bided my time for an entire campaign, secretly working for the BBEG. During the final fight, I turnedcoat on the party, TPK. I was the party's healer.

Jay R
2016-05-18, 07:51 PM
It's hard to pick one. Which of these do you think was the coolest?

A guardsman was trying to not allow my lower-level wizard into the city. I said, "I pull out my Wand of Frost and tell him that if he doesn't move, I will freeze him."

He let me through, but about five minutes later the DM said, "Hey, wait a minute. You don't have a Wand of Frost."

"I know. It was a bluff."

"But you don't have a wand."

I replied, "It's been on my character sheet for the last four games. Here, look."

There, in my inventory, it very clearly said, "fourteen-inch polished stick of wood."

David, a nine-year-old street kid, was an original D&D Thief. He once took down a sentry by walking up sniffling and crying, and saying, "Where's my daddy? I can't find him. I'm cold, and I'm tired, and I'm hungry, and I'm thirsty, and I want my daddy!" As the sentry turned to get himsome food, the kid sneak attacked.

The game was original D&D.

The DM gave some players (not mine) a useless item. It was a Bag of Duplication. If you put something inside it, the bag would make a useless duplicate - food you couldn't eat, money that was clearly counterfeit, magic items that looked like exact duplicates but that didn't work.

The players were killed, but their bodies were recoverable, and I was playing an ex-paladin who had been turned chaotic (evil). But they didn't know it yet.

I recovered the bodies, and all their magic items, and took them to a priest. But I copied all their magic items in the bag, and left them the copies. I took the real items with me.

They never figured out why their magic items no longer worked, but they never suspected me of stealing them, because they knew the items hadn't been stolen.

But the best single session I ever had was in Flashing Blades, a musketeers-era game with no magic, when six of us stopped a 2,000 man army.

The GM understood both the game system and the underlying historical background (17th century France), and was loose enough to allow unusual ideas. The players were all clever, and worked well together. We had a couple of weeks to plan, and we actually used it. And so six PCs defeated an army of 2000+.

In a previous adventure, we had uncovered bills of lading for an army coming through Lorraine towards France. Our task was to stop or disrupt them before they reached France. The only tool we had other than being six French adventurers was the bills of lading. We were supplying their food. But they were going through towns. If we simply withheld the food, they’d buy locally.

The bills of lading implied an army of roughly 2,000 soldiers and camp followers and 500 horses, led by the General Don Miguel ----, whose last name is a moot point, as shown below. All winter, we had horses staked out to attract two wolf packs to the forest between Luneville and Drouville. We wanted numerous wolves used to feeding on horseflesh to greet the Spanish army.

The first delivery was at St. Die. We arranged that the food would arrive two days early, to allow spoilage. Then there was a heavy rain that delayed the troops. The wine was (very mildly) spiked with bad water. There were 20 pistoles baked into the bread. We spread a rumor that the rich soldiers have been throwing coins to the peasants. Vivienne and Jean-Louis began to join the army as camp followers, Vivienne concentrating her attentions on the officers. Jean-Louis started to become a common face, performing, spreading rumors, asking questions. "What's this I hear about a missing pay wagon?"

The next day was Baccarat. 20 more pistoles and 2 Louis d'Or (gold coins) were baked in the bread. The wine was slightly more spiked. Deliveries of the food arrived mid-morning the next day, further delaying the troops. Vivienne had two officers fighting a duel over her. We spread rumors about the pay wagon, and bad blood between officers. (Jean-Louis gathered a crowd of soldiers at the dueling field.) We started a fire in town after the troops left. Some cavalry units left early, and so were not fed.

Near the town of Luneville, we burned a bridge and planted stakes. The cavalry units tried to cross first, and one horse was lamed. So they waited for the rest of the army to arrive to build the bridge. More unrest, more rumors, more bad food. We incited some guttersnipes to throw rocks across the river at them. The bridge was finished mid-morning the next day, so late the next night, a bedraggled, tired, dispirited army arrived at Drouville. The army was forced to detour through the wolf forest by a road block. We spread rumors in town that the army had been torching villages behind them. The food was strongly poisoned, and the rye bread was tainted with ergot. The army was not going to be in shape to deal with the situation.

Vivienne lured Don Miguel to her room at an inn, and murdered him in his sleep. We spread poisoned oats out in the woods. Then we torched the town, stampeding the horses. We started several fires on the upwind side of town. While cutting horses loose, Jean-Louis was spotted. He yelled, "Release the horses – don’t let them burn!" So he successfully talked the guards into helping him release all their horses into a forest with wolves that had been feeding on horseflesh all winter.

The Spanish lost supplies, horses, and lots of time trying to round up the horses that survived the night. Note that spooked horses aren't too bright, and that they were downwind of the flames. Many horses were lost (or eaten). Jean-Louis slipped into the General's headquarters. He fought and killed two sentries, leaving them in a pose indicating that they had slain each other. He then made off with the general's orders, dispatches, and 70 escudo (4200 L.!). In nearby towns the next day we spread rumors that the army was berserk, looting and burning. We spread rumors in the army that the general was seen running off with a courtesan. Henri went north and bought their next shipment of food (with their money), which we dumped in the river. After spreading a few more rumors in Nancy, the capital of Lorraine, we returned to Paris, where we delivered the orders and dispatches to Richelieu.

The army split up, some becoming bandits until captured by the Duke of Lorraine; some continuing on, ravaging the countryside as they went.

And that's how six PCs stopped an invading army of 2,000.

Braininthejar2
2016-05-20, 06:08 AM
A character in my game was swallowed by a purple worm. He activated his immovable rod while inside it.

Next time the worm lunged at someone the rod blew out the back of his wormy head. Dead worm.

Love creative use of magic.

Once assasinated a guy using mage hand, bard song (as a distraction from a companion) and a sharp chicken bone with reduce item on it.

hymer
2016-05-20, 07:04 AM
Once assasinated a guy using mage hand, bard song (as a distraction from a companion) and a sharp chicken bone with reduce item on it.

Ah yes, Item is brutal. A 2nd edition fighter/mage I played used to keep a reduced boulder in his pocket. I used it to drop on someone climbing up to me (I did warn him), and once to intimidate someone by forcing it into their mouth. I never got around to combine it with fly and drop them on people, sadly.

AdmiralCheez
2016-05-20, 09:21 AM
Last night, my party charged an army of oozes while riding our earth elemental mounts, fireballing our way to victory. And then at some point in the battle, the cleric escaped the enemy general by swan-diving off a cliff... into a gelatinous cube.

CharonsHelper
2016-05-20, 12:21 PM
I once rolled near max damage on a Cone of Cold with a evocation specialist. Well over 100pts of cold damage against multiple targets. You can't get much cooler than that!

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-20, 12:28 PM
I once rolled near max damage on a Cone of Cold with a evocation specialist. Well over 100pts of cold damage against multiple targets. You can't get much cooler than that!
...I'm kinda wondering if that pun was intentional, now.

CharonsHelper
2016-05-20, 12:29 PM
...I'm kinda wondering if that pun was intentional, now.

Yes.

Yes it was.

(My puns are nearly always intended!)

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-20, 12:45 PM
Yes.

Yes it was.

(My puns are nearly always intended!)
Well kudos to you for that.

Hiro
2016-05-24, 03:59 PM
The coolest thing I remember doing was in one of my first games. Playing with a DM that was really good; but also was using the "rule of cool" if we RP'ed something that sounded really good or theatrical.

I had an elven ranger/wizard/arcane archer perched in a tree while the group was fighting off a bunch of bandits; taking shots at the spellcasters and all.

Then the last guy tried to flee...my archer took aim

Fired an arrow with a fireball attached to it...

Critical hit (for max damage to keep things going without a huge amount of die rolls)

Suffice to say: Fleeing bandit catches arrow squarely in the ass....then it explodes spraying his giblets around for splash damage. XD Oh and he was at the absolute maximum range for a composite longbow.

Alberic Strein
2016-05-24, 05:39 PM
My best move was a team attack. An epic charge through an impossible distance to kill a character with a cumulated level of 40 or something, burning ressources to go through his contingencies and finally killing him after having split his body in three... All so my pal adin could heal him of his madness and win the campaign.

High level games tend to be weird like that.

zebaroth
2016-05-24, 07:39 PM
sprite of the century game
i was playing a guy that was a cross between roheshack and the shadow

i used a fate point to say i was removing the gas cap off a tank and that i stuck one of my guns in it and pulled the trigger.
rolled and blew up the tank and just survived by one + my gun was trashed but it was cool and i got fate point back from the gm
for being so out of the box thinking

Alent
2016-05-24, 10:43 PM
Coolest move I've ever pulled off... That'd be the time we defeated over a hundred zombies, 80 constructs, the 20-something bandits who owned the constructs, and a battle mech with ten house cats.

So, our backstory is that we were citizens of this colony settlement called Dragonpass who decided we'd strike out as adventurers. Our roster included Gruck'ruck (my elderly Kobold Trapsetter/Wizard/Arcane Trickster, who was retiring from a long career as a miner to fulfill his childhood dream of building giant mecha), Zanmorn (a Ranger who'd come to hunt dragons), and Caldon. (a Fighter/Pistolero who'd quit his position as head of the guard because he didn't like answering to the town's leaders)

A number of woes had befallen Dragonpass, the most egregious of which were it was dangerously close to a swamp necropolis, bandits with a battlemech had been raiding them, their home nation didn't exactly care for them founding a colony without state sponsorship, a cult had sprang up worshiping a fallen god, highwaymen were attacking their supply convoys without state sponsored army escorts, etc.

Partway into the first adventure, us going after the highwaymen, the DM discovered that I'd found a way to weaponize Tucker's kobolds against him. The rest of the campaign was basically the DM and I playing Xanatos speed chess against each other.

Finally, he thinks he's got us. We've solved mysteries, dealt with the highwaymen, killed the cultists, etc. The town is begging us to deal with the zombies and bandits, which have been harassing the town the entire time, and the scenario as presented seems to suggest that the other will ravage the town while we're away. The Ranger heads north to scout out the bandits while I scout the swamp from the air. (Both of us owned Trained Dire Bats) I discover that the Necropolis proper is completely ignorant of the town, it's being attacked by mindless undead that get crowded out in the swamp, driving them down into town. The Ranger comes back with troop counts.

It becomes immediately clear that we're looking at 6~8 encounters worth of opponents regardless of which path we choose, and we can't take on both at once... The group is pushing to deal with the bandits because the undead are easier for the town to defend against. I declare that we'll make our problems solve each other. The Ranger scouts a route from the Swamp to the Bandit camp that will take about an hour to travel. (for comparison, they're about 6 hours out from town) On the way back in, the Ranger brings home what's left of a Zombie at my urging.

Then I buy ten housecats.

The lights kicked in counterclockwise around the table.

DM: "What are you going to do with the remains of a zombie and ten housecats that will solve both... Oh. oh no."

Zanmorn, through a big toothy grin while giving a thumbs up: "I gotcha, we got this."

Caldon, with an odd look on his face: "What are you two going to do with ten.. oh... I get it..." Caldon grins and laughs. "That's stupid."

The Ranger and I spend the appropriate amount of time to teach all ten housecats a new trick: "Run from the smell of zombie in a specified direction just fast enough to get away, but slow enough they can follow."

Once we've taught them, Caldon hops on Gruck's Bat since Gruck is small enough to share it, and the three of us head north with our cats in tow.

We fly into the swamp, I've cast the Message cantrip on all ten housecats and the party so that we can all coordinate actions... start on the southwest side and fan up to the northeast side, using magehand to drop a cat and attract a zombie encounter, sending it toward the Bandits. Ten housecats later, with us safely guiding them from the sky at dusk we have a classic suppertime ambush heading for the Bandit camp.

Once we're sure everything is on track, when the cats are five minutes out from the bandit camp, we veer off and set up a sniper's nest at an ideal spot south of the camp. We set up camo netting so that Caldon can shoot without being seen, and Caldon uses his Silencing oil on his rifle while we leave my Direbat with him.

The Housecats run through the camp as Zanmorn's player and I both shout "Train to zone!" OOC. The startled bandits realize what's happening as the undead horde clears the treeline, they muster their forces, sending the pilot to the battlemech, a gunnery crew to man the Congreve rocket launchers on it's back (For all intents and purposes, this mech was a steampunk reskinned Jenner), the Wizards get their bat**** and the commander orders the 80 something constructs to make a combat line.

The next 6 seconds see both Wizards perforated with either bullets or arrows, going down to dual crits. Next turn, Zanmorn and I both take off on Zanmorn's direbat and he starts taking out the Congreve Rocket team before they can do anything while the mech is still starting up. Caldon takes out the Bandit captain at the start of his next turn, and helps finish off the Congreve Rocket team. The Battlemech pilot, being locked in his cockpit with no visibility on the Rocket team, has yet to actually notice them die, but he's wondering why they aren't shooting.

Finally amidst the sound of violent Zombie on Robot battle, the Battlemech starts up and turns to join the fight as Zanmorn and I land on the mecha. With his mech moving, the pilot pops the hatch to yell at the gunners, only to see us coming at him. He slams the hatch shut, but fails to lock it in time. I open the hatch, Zanmorn grapples him. Before the Mech can even begin to tumble, Zanmorn hefts the pilot out of his seat and I make the checks to have Gruck tumble into the pilot's seat and take over piloting without even a stumble.

The Mech turns around as Zanmorn tosses the pilot to his death, and we walked off to pick up the housecats. We came back half an hour later and Zanmorn and Caldon practiced their target shooting on the few zombies that survived.

Then we gathered everything up and using cargo netting Strapped all the bodies and bandit cargo to the Battlemech, and rode it back.

Imagine if you will a Jenner from Battletech walking up to a castle wall, looking like a Reaver ship from Firefly, with ten housecats sitting on top, then a megaphone turns on and Master Splinter's voice says "We hav' come to collect our bounty."

I am no longer allowed to buy housecats.

Scathain
2016-05-26, 12:13 AM
Simple: you know that kill cam in Skyrim where you jump on the dragon's head and stab it?

Pulled it off with a 3.5 wizard, thanks to beautiful rolls and a well placed disintegrate spell.

sengmeng
2016-05-26, 07:15 PM
My friend I was DMing for was a truly evil high elf, to the point that he ended up serving in a drow army with a special forces platoon under his command. They come to a cavern with two entrances that they can reach with side tunnels, and it's absolutely full of goblins and ogres who are templated with a nasty Lloth-touched spider blood thing I homebrewed. His scout suggests a flanking maneuver, and he replies "Good thinking. I'll sneak around to the other entrance, then you guys attack from this one. We'll meet in the middle." And they did.

My personal best was the round I had to make a Tumble, Balance, Jump, and Swim check in the same round when I jumped onto a giant squid, ran across it's body, and jumped into the water on the far side, giving the other rogue the flank and the kill shot.

Fayd
2016-05-26, 09:35 PM
Oh, my Pathfinder Summoner's shenanigans. I blew the front gate off a castle (as well as most of its golem defenders) with a single use of Summon Monster II.

I mean, I had help. The Holy Gun Paladin made a LOT of gunpowder, and our Fighter-Smith made shaped charges. The fighter walked up and dropped the charges carefully at the feet of the golem, but because he was not hostile, they didn't attack. Then I summoned two small fire elementals, who were also not hostile. I commanded them to poke the charges.

Boom.

I also (essentially) killed a boss with "Create Pit."

CharonsHelper
2016-05-27, 08:19 AM
Simple: you know that kill cam in Skyrim where you jump on the dragon's head and stab it?

Pulled it off with a 3.5 wizard, thanks to beautiful rolls and a well placed disintegrate spell.

I tried that once in 3.5. I did some damage, and then party members finished it off with a bow. Then I fell about 60ft to the ground and was knocked into negative HP. >.< (I'd jumped off the edge of a plateau we were on to get on the dragon.)

Scathain
2016-05-27, 12:32 PM
I tried that once in 3.5. I did some damage, and then party members finished it off with a bow. Then I fell about 60ft to the ground and was knocked into negative HP. >.< (I'd jumped off the edge of a plateau we were on to get on the dragon.)

What a kill steal!
I'll tell you, the best part of that fight was the dragon was not meant to be fought, as it was several CR's out of my reach, AND had a quest for me. I managed to pass every sleep breath save, got on top of it with Transformation, started stabbing it (I lost my +2 thundering longsword in its face, so worth it) and took it down due to massive damage rules with disintegrate. Gosh I miss 3.5 sometimes.