PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class How much LA would you give this race?

WhiteBread
2016-05-10, 06:30 PM
Hey guys! Would you help me put an LA on this? Any ideas how to improve the race? Going to DM a german group and wanted to offer them one of many custom races which are currently inhabiting my world as playable races. This would be the first and i thought it not too strong actually and would have put an LA +0-1 on it. ( I tried to balance this around the elan/blue race from PF a bit)

Fiendish Sheep: counts as humanoid(extraplanar) and human
Ability Modifier: +2Con, -2Int, +2Cha
Size: 6-7feet (medium)
Age Category: Adulthood: 40/ Old: *
Weight: 120-150lb
Favorite Class: Psychic Warrior/ Psion(Egoist)

Last Stand (ex): Thanks to their stubbornly masochistic thrill to battle they are able to withstand great pain when most others would have fallen already. Whenever an attack would normally drop the Fiendish Sheep's hp to 0 or lower they are able to make a DC 16 Fortitude Save to instead be reduced or kept at 1 hp. The save dc increases by 3 every time a hit would knock the hp to 0 or below again. An unconscious Fiendish Sheep can't use this ability. Whenever a Fiendish Sheep is in a fight and uses this ability they are unable to make Charisma based Skill Checks until the end of battle.

Body: Fiendish Sheep are trained naturally with their tails which can be used to hold items or attack (like a whip, 1d6 natural weapon). Moreover a Fiendish Sheep has sheep like hooves instead of feet. They can't wear boots but can use horseshoes. Their hooves grant them 50 speed at land but only 10 swim speed. They also possess horns (1d4) which are mainly decorated rather than used as weapons.

Psionic Traditions: Fiendish Sheep are automatically psionic and gain 1 PP at 1 Level additionally to all other sources. They also manifest and learn Powers as well as gain Power Points and activate psionic abilities with their Constitution Modifier instead of a Mental Modifier due to their different culture and different approach to psionic powers.

Different Fighters: Fiendish Sheep automatically gain proficiency with all axes and can wield large ones as if they were 1 size larger without any penalities.

Edit: This class is somewhere inbetween LA +0-1 and simply adding a floating feat or something similar should make it a safe +1 LA option. This could also work:

Rewrite Mental Focus: A Fiendish Sheep can rewrite any one Psionic Feat into another Psionic Feat if they meditate for 8 hours. This is usable once per day and works similar to the Psychic Reformation ability except for no costs.

Fiendish Sheep are humanoids with humanlike bodies. Their difference lies in their always curly sheep like hair, their curly horns, their hooves and height. Besides their difference in appearance to humans they are also very different in culture.
Fiendish Sheep are plane travelers. Most settlements they inhabit send out scouts and settlers to other planes once it grows out of proportions of 1000. Their favourite settlements are shell like mountains which give them safety from threats as well as sight.
Despite not having any big cities they are far from living a nomadic life. Fiendish Sheep live a very elite life and therefore are always trained in specific skills. One of these skills include making clothes from their fast growing hair on top of their head which grows at ridiculous speed and needs to be cut regularly. They are also always trained in battle with their races most favorite weapon, the axe. Thanks to their almost dance like fighting style they are able to utilize much bigger axes than other races very effectively. Furthermore they are trained in meditation to unlock doors of power hidden deep within their bodies which strenghtens their constitution and manifesting.
Due to the fact that most of these skills are trained from childhood almost all fiendish sheep become warriors of some kind. Most become Psychic Warriors.
Fiendish Sheep normally avoid contact with other races but scouts looking for new homes do often engange adventuring parties. Thanks to their humanlike appearance and rather calm nature they are often welcomed and treated well.
Another factor for the respect shown towards this race is their fighting prowess. It is unknown if it's because of their stubborness, their almost masochistic reaction to pain, the adrenalin surge, their "I will take at least one of you with me to hell!" attitude or because of a mix of all of these which makes them into such formidable fighters. Many parties once allied with a fiendish sheep have at least one story which describes a fight where they were the last to stand despite receiving normally fatal wounds and being hurt all over. Some of the stories even go as far as to say that they were enjoying themselves despite bleeding all over.
Common knowledge about fiendish sheep culture is the pride they take in decorating their horns. Many fiendish sheep love to decorate their horns however often abstain from it if they are regular fighters. They never utilize them as weapons except if threatened with no other options. They see their horns as a holy gift granted by their eldest and therefore should be treated with utmost care.
Many believe that fiendish sheep have fiendish ancestors due to their fight loving nature. Sometimes they even spare strong foes simply to be challenged again by them and to enjoy a good fight once more. Funny enough a lot of fighters respect this behaviour and treat their kind nicely. Others though including some of their companions think of the fiendish sheep as naive or even dumb for letting dangerous individiuals go.
Despite some of them living longer than dragons they themselves don't know much about their ancestors. Most of their kind die in battle and there are no written records of ever one of them dying of old age making many believe they are immortal to a certain degree. However most fiendish sheep decide to die in a glorious fight once they feel too old and therefore seek out strong enemies.

AuraTwilight
2016-05-10, 09:30 PM
+1 seems about right.

Wulfskadi
2016-05-10, 10:55 PM
In all honesty this race seems to have powers well balanced for a normal non-level adjusting race. However it has like 3 or 4 where a 0-level race has one or two. I personally dont think its powerful enough to warrant an entire level of LA but I am also unfamiliar with the rules on psychics. If I was you I would either try to squeeze in a bit more power or drain some of the excess features to get it balanced.

Overall, 4 out of 5 stars, would rewrite and use in my campaign.

WhiteBread
2016-05-11, 10:13 AM
In all honesty this race seems to have powers well balanced for a normal non-level adjusting race. However it has like 3 or 4 where a 0-level race has one or two. I personally dont think its powerful enough to warrant an entire level of LA but I am also unfamiliar with the rules on psychics. If I was you I would either try to squeeze in a bit more power or drain some of the excess features to get it balanced.

Overall, 4 out of 5 stars, would rewrite and use in my campaign.

You are free to do so... I will add artwork later on it. Still drawing and improving the picture.
Besides i thought this race to be around 0-1 LA too but wasn't too sure about it.