PDA

View Full Version : Mythbuster (PrC)

InaVegt
2007-06-25, 03:17 PM
The mythbuster seeks out superstitions and myths and puts them to the test.

Requirements
Skills: Perform (oral): 4 ranks, Craft (alchemy): 8 ranks, Craft (any two): 8 ranks
Feats: Skill focus (Craft [alchemy])
Spellcasting: The ability to cast fireball as an arcane spell.

{table="head"]Level |BAB |Fort |Ref |Will| Class abilities|Spellcasting
1 |+0 |+2 |+2 |+0 |Illusion familiarity, Fireballing (Improved CL), recording|-
2 |+1 |+3 |+3 |+0 |Fireballing (+1 DC)|+1 to arcane caster level
3 |+2 |+3 |+3 |+1 |Improved creator, Fireballing (+1/day)|-
4 |+3 |+4 |+4 |+1 |Fireballing (+2 DC)|+1 to arcane caster level
5 |+3 |+4 |+4 |+1 |Rejection of reality, Fireballing (+2/day)|-[/table]

Spellcasting
Our death ray doesn't seem to be working right. I'm standing right in it, and I'm not dead yet.
A mythbuster learns more tricks as he goes along, resulting in an increased caster level at the levels indicated in the table.

Illusion familiarity
And then suddenly...nothing happened.
Mythbusters add twice their class level as an inspiration bonus on will saves against illusion spells and effects.

Fireballing
Well no, actually we want to blow it up.
Mythbusters add their class level to their caster level when casting fireball. A 2nd level mythbuster's fireball has 1 added to the save DC, a 3rd level mythbuster can cast fireball an additional time/day a 4th level mythbuster has 2 added to the save DC, a 5th level mythbuster can use fireball 2 additional times/day, these additional castings of fireball are considered to be 3rd level spell slots only to be used on fireball.

Recording
It amazes me that you still don't realize we're filming a television show.
Mythbusters can record their actions by spending 5 gp for every minute recorded, this can then be looked at with a scrying spell by knowing the keyword under it was stored. Starting or stopping the recording is a free action, recordings can be added to the end of a previous scrying with the same keyword or overwrite them.

Improved creator
They've built an invention, and nothing has gone wrong…
A 3rd level mythbuster gains a +2 inspiration bonus on every craft check he makes.

Rejection of reality
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
A 5th level mythbuster can use limited wish 1/week as a spell like ability with a caster level equal to that of your caster level for fireballs.

martyboy74
2007-06-25, 03:44 PM
You forgot the other requirement. Feats: Explosive Spell.

DraPrime
2007-06-25, 04:01 PM
Weird, I was just watching the Mythbusters show before I looked at this.

Thrivol
2007-06-25, 04:22 PM
I would play one. It is a bit weak, but the abilities fit the show.

Darth Mario
2007-06-25, 04:36 PM
I know it's wizard based, but if you're going to base it on Adam and Jamie, you should probably make it mid base attack progression, both are highly skilled with firearms.

Also, maybe add spells?

Vhaidara
2007-06-25, 05:24 PM
I'm gonna post a link to this on the Mythbusters' forums, if I have your permission.

TheLogman
2007-06-25, 08:03 PM
Ya, I also think that these guys should get access to some spells as well, I mean they are giving up levels just to increase the power of one of their spells, plus a few other weak abilities, doesn't sound very good. Oh, and how do you make a table like that? I didn't see it in any of the forum threads or in the FAQ.

martyboy74
2007-06-25, 08:12 PM
Ya, I also think that these guys should get access to some spells as well, I mean they are giving up levels just to increase the power of one of their spells, plus a few other weak abilities, doesn't sound very good. Oh, and how do you make a table like that? I didn't see it in any of the forum threads or in the FAQ.
Like this:
{table}a|b|c
d|e|f
g|h|i{/table}

Replace the {s with [s.

InaVegt
2007-06-26, 12:16 AM
I know it's wizard based, but if you're going to base it on Adam and Jamie, you should probably make it mid base attack progression, both are highly skilled with firearms.Good point.

Also, maybe add spells?I think 5 levels of wizard grant you enough tricks to be a mythbuster.

@bookboy: sure

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-26, 09:59 AM
*giggles like a school girl at this*

Vhaidara
2007-06-26, 02:51 PM
@bookboy: sure

Done and done.

Maga
2007-06-26, 09:59 PM
...can I marry you?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-26, 10:20 PM
No caster progression?

Draken
2007-06-26, 10:31 PM
I would add the caster progression, at least to even levels, you don't get to much on these levels.

InaVegt
2007-06-27, 12:14 AM
...can I marry you?

Sorry, I must inform you I'm completely heterosexual.

@Krimm: IMO the mythbuster already has enough tricks from 5 levels of wizard, doesn't need more.

Pink
2007-06-27, 12:25 AM
I like this alot. It's quite a good Mix of the flavor of the show and yet still a decent class without resorting to silly class skills that would be completely at odds in a serious campaign.

however with illusion familiarity, Umm, I think you mean, they get that bonus versus saves against illusions, not Will saves in general.

Also, with the extra fireballs, do they get them as a spell like abilty, or as a bonus spell, or what exactly? With metamagic and such around it may do to clarify that part a bit.

Also, I want a link to this thread started in the mythbuster forum to see reactions there please.

And I would argue for some CL added in there, but eh, your class, your call. Besides, if people want to use this they can always have a dm houserule Improved CL on even or odd levels.

Callix
2007-06-27, 12:27 AM
I have to back Krimm up on this. The MythBusters get trickier as they go along. While they could call themselves MythBusters at Myth1, they should continue to become trickier and trickier, setting up more and more complex scenarios to blow up... er... investigate. Also, could they get a leadership modifier for a reputation of Extreme Geekiness (Your call on + or -).

InaVegt
2007-06-27, 12:35 AM
I like this alot. It's quite a good Mix of the flavor of the show and yet still a decent class without resorting to silly class skills that would be completely at odds in a serious campaign.

however with illusion familiarity, Umm, I think you mean, they get that bonus versus saves against illusions, not Will saves in general.That's what I meant, thanks for catching that.

[quote[Also, with the extra fireballs, do they get them as a spell like abilty, or as a bonus spell, or what exactly? With metamagic and such around it may do to clarify that part a bit. [/quote]bonus spell.

Pink
2007-06-27, 12:46 AM
Hmm, if fireball is just a bonus spell then, you may want to specify a bit so people don't try going "I can get a maximized repeating empowered fireball for free twice a day!"

makwe it an extra spell slot of the same level as the classes normal fireball that can only be used for fireball if that's your intention maybe.

InaVegt
2007-06-27, 12:54 AM
Hmm, if fireball is just a bonus spell then, you may want to specify a bit so people don't try going "I can get a maximized repeating empowered fireball for free twice a day!"

makwe it an extra spell slot of the same level as the classes normal fireball that can only be used for fireball if that's your intention maybe.

Done and done.

Pink
2007-06-27, 01:01 AM
Are you still debating the HD and skills part of this class?

InaVegt
2007-06-27, 06:01 AM
Are you still debating the HD and skills part of this class?

Yes, I am.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-27, 06:12 AM
I have an idea. Though it might be similar to the limited wish idea... But something like, Get the result: You have tried everything else, and all you want to see is the final result of what you were trying to do. At the indicated levels, pick one of the following special abilities;

Can a sword chop another sword in half? (Ex): Once per day, you may ignore the hardness of the opponants weapon when attempting to sunder it with another manufactured weapon which you are wielding. Additionally, you may use your Int modifier instead of strength for the attack and damage rolls. If your sunder attempt fails, this ability is used up for the day.

Okay, well that's the only one I can think of right now. But I'm sure there's at least one other person with an encyclopedic knowledge of all the Mythbusters episodes and myths tested that can think of more (and likely better) abilities aside from that one.

Callix
2007-06-27, 06:28 AM
Another Get The Result idea: Can a Fireball vaporise a human? (Sp). You may cast one of your fireballs spontaneously as a Searing Spell (ignores fire resistance, fire immune takes half) with no adjustment to casting time. Useable 1/day

Maga
2007-06-27, 06:46 PM
Sorry, I must inform you I'm completely heterosexual.

@Krimm: IMO the mythbuster already has enough tricks from 5 levels of wizard, doesn't need more.

I can survive a marriage without true love. Countless women have before!