PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Retraining martial study

Efrate
2016-05-10, 07:58 PM
Lets say you take martial study: Douse the flames, then next tiime you get a chance you take martial study: white raven tactics. I know I keep the white raven tactics, but if I go to retrain the douse the flames, does it count against my total martial studies taken, and can I retain it for a different martial study?

Edit: grammer issues

Troacctid
2016-05-10, 08:03 PM
The retraining rules technically require you to choose another feat, which means you can't retrain a feat into itself. However, you could retrain it to some other feat, then next level retrain that other feat to Martial Study again.

torrasque666
2016-05-11, 01:26 AM
The retraining rules technically require you to choose another feat, which means you can't retrain a feat into itself. However, you could retrain it to some other feat, then next level retrain that other feat to Martial Study again.
I think the question is more about the whole "You can take this feat up to three times" line in the Special section of it.

Efrate
2016-05-11, 01:32 AM
Both actually. I see martial study iron heart surge as distinct from martial study douse the flames for example, just like weapon focus longbow and weapon focus rapier are different.

But the line can only ever take 3 martial study feats worries me.

Andezzar
2016-05-11, 02:02 AM
Martial Study is only one feat no matter what maneuver you choose when you take it. You can take this one feat up to three times. Since the retraining rules require you to take a different feat, you cannot just change the choice of maneuver. you could however do so through an intermediary feat as Troacctid said.

Through the martial study feat you cannot gain more than three maneuvers.