PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Herbalism, Alchemy and Poison changes: Thoughts?

Kittenwolf
2016-05-10, 11:41 PM
So, here's a bit of a change to the above skills that I'm thinking of implementing for my group, curious to get people's thoughts :)
Note that these are just new things that you can do with those skills, not feats or such.

Profession: Herbalism
Component Harvesting: You may harvest plants and other natural substances for use in Alchemy. Make a DC10 Herbalism check, you gain a number of GP worth of components equal to (Your check result - 10) /2.
These components cannot be sold, they can only be used for making items with the Craft: Alchemy skill
Duration: Takes 1d2+1 Hours and must be done in a natural environment.

Craft: Alchemy
Poison Extraction: You may attempt to harvest the poison or venom from a Tiny or larger creature with a Contact or Injury poison. The creature must either be alive and unconscious, or dead less than an hour.
Make a DC20 Alchemy check. If you succeed you manage to extract one dose of poison or venom from the creature. For every five points you beat the check you can extract one extra dose, to the maximum allowed by the creature's Size (see below).
Duration: Takes ten minutes and can only be attempted once per creature
Special: Unless you are trained in poison use failing the check by 10 or more causes you to expose yourself to the poison, rolling saves as normal.
Rolling a nat 1 on your Alchemy check (even if you still succeed at the DC20 check) results in you poisoning yourself and you automatically fail the first saving throw
Special: A Tiny creature can yield one dose of poison this way. For every size category above Tiny, increase the maximum number of doses by one.
Special: A creature such as the Vishkanya with a limited number of poison uses per day can only be extracted if they have at least one use of their poison left for that day, and can only ever provide one dose per day.

Enhanced Alchemy: If you have at least five ranks in Craft: Alchemy you can attempt to create more concentrated or potent versions of your concoctions.
You may choose to increase the DC to create the item by 5, if you do so (and you succeed at your check) add one die to the item's damage or increase the DC by one.
Every increase in DC also increases the base cost of the item by 20%.

You can increase the DC this way as many times as you like.

Florian
2016-05-11, 01:10 AM
That will lead to weird results with a poison-generating race like Vishkanya.

Kittenwolf
2016-05-11, 01:26 AM
That will lead to weird results with a poison-generating race like Vishkanya.

Good point, I'll put in a limitation...

Geddy2112
2016-05-11, 09:11 AM
I might start using this in my games.

I have always ruled survival to be able to extract poison and venom, but letting alchemy do this as well seems fair.