View Full Version : How much damage "should" a character be able to do at any given particular level.

Yogibear41
2016-05-10, 11:43 PM
In your opinion, how much damage should a character be able to do per round, at a given level in a standard DnD game. Obviously there is more to the game than just doing damage, but for the sake of knowing how much is normal at others people's tables I am curious. I'm not necessarily interested in "super optimization" numbers, but lets go with "decently optimized". Basically what needs to get done in order to survive against an appropriate level encounter/monster out of the book.
To break it down even more, we could divide it up into class categories for example: Fighters vs. Rogue vs. Cleric Vs. Wizard and the other various classes that essentially fall into one or more of these four rolls. In addition, in your opinion, how much damage is too much or just broken, based on the previous set of assumptions.

Esprit15
2016-05-10, 11:56 PM
A good encounter in my experience should run for 2-5 rounds, depending on number of enemies. Maybe more if it is a final battle against a BBEG. The rogue has built in damage with their sneak attack, so that's kind of easy to math out; assuming they can either TWF or multishot, they ought to do about a d6 per level once they get multiple attacks per round. Wizard should either be using save or lose/die/suck spells to make life easier for the fighter, or your classic damage dealing spells, which tends toward around a d6 per level. Cleric should be healing and buffing, not doing damage (in this scenario). Beatstick should be around these values, perhaps a little less given their durability.

Maxrim
2016-05-11, 12:07 AM
These are my estimates:
1st level ...
Aggressive Melee: 12
Average Melee: 8
Caster: 3
Blaster: 5
7th level ...
Aggressive Melee: 44
Average Melee: 24
Caster: 25
Blaster: 42
13th level ...
Aggressive Melee: 135
Average Melee: 96
Caster: 46
Blaster: 135
20th level ...
Aggressive Melee: 400
Average Melee: 185
Caster: 105
Blaster: 540

Psyren
2016-05-11, 12:19 AM
I use the HP and AC values in PF's generic monster progression (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/unchained/monsters/step1.html) as a guideline.

Darth Ultron
2016-05-11, 12:33 AM
I would say by default a foe should be defeated in 2-5 attacks, but not a whole encounter. Then add another attack every three levels or so.

In general the fighter should dominate in attacks vs a single target and small groups. The wizard dominates in large groups with a damage spread. The cleric should be far more effective vs alignment/supernatural foes then anything else. Rogues should only be effective when attacking by stealth and surprise.

Florian
2016-05-11, 12:58 AM
Hm. Wasn't there a formula for this, underlying the PF tables Psyren has linked?
Like (Level x 4) x #Iterative attacks x 1,5?