PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Not sure how to build a Glaive Martial Monk

tjvbull
2016-05-11, 04:02 AM
So, I wanted to build a Glaive wielding Martial Monk (Drag Mag 310) and I'm drawing blanks on how I should make him. I can't decide if I should build him as charger abuse, or if I should build him as a fancy melee tricks. We get 2 flaw feats (They let us use any feat for flaws), and a Background Feat (Thank heavens for someone who is greedy for feats being one of the DM's good friends.)

Here's the build so far for the Human Ftr 2/ Mrtl Mnk 2 (F1>M1>M2>F1) :
Str: 20
Dex: 19
Con: 16
Int: 12
Wis: 20
Cha: 14

HP: 37
AC: 19

Feats:
Improved Bull Rush [Flaw]
Weapon Focus (Glaive) [Flaw]
Power Attack [Background]
(Can't decide what I want here) [Human Bonus]
Cometary Collision [Level 1] (I honestly want to toss it, but I want it just for fun if we ever have a charger thrown at us.)
Quick Draw [Fighter 1]
Improved Unarmed Strike [Monk 1]
Blind Fight [Monk 1] (Mmmmm, that Fighter bonus list from Martial Monk.)
Pole Fighter [Level 3] (Flurry with Glaive? Yes please.)
Combat Reflexes [Monk 2]
Short Haft [Fighter 2] (Just so I don't have to resort to punching at close range.)

Flaws:
Murky Eyes
Inattentive

Any help would be greatly appreciated. While I wouldn't mind optimization, I don't want it to be so much that the DM spikes the encounters. (We've already got one, we don't need another pure optimization.) I would however like to keep the flavor of the Glaive monk though.

Troacctid
2016-05-11, 03:09 PM
What's the point of taking Murky-Eyed as a flaw if you're just going to turn around and take Blind-Fight as a feat? Either pick a different flaw or a different feat.

Short Haft is not worth it when you already have Improved Unarmed Strike. Cometary Collision is cute but doesn't really do much.

Darrin
2016-05-11, 03:23 PM
I would consider doing something with combining Decisive Strike with Jack B. Quick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17031211&postcount=30): you attack me, I attack you four times for double/triple/quadruple damage. I'm not sure there'd be much monk in it, though... I think you get everything you need with just Monk 2.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-11, 04:38 PM
Glaives are nice for reach damage, but you're probably better off with a dwarven warpike. It's a 2d6/x3 exotic reach and trip weapon, doing all the things a glaive does, and more. You can very easily get proficiency by taking your fighter levels in exoticist fighter, also a Dragon #310 variant. Also, consider two levels in psychic warrior, for two more bonus feats, and some nifty powers (wisdom-based!), or ardent, which is really nice and strong, especially with Practiced Manifester.

At that point, build for a nice Decisive Strike tripper. Something like: exoticist fighter 1/martial monk 2/psychic warrior 1/crusader 1/psychic warrior +1/fighter +1.

Feats:
1. Combat Reflexes, fighter 1: Combat Expertise, flaw: Weapon Focus (dwarven warpike), flaw: Improved Trip
monk 1: Improved Unarmed Strike, monk 1: Weapon Supremacy (pick up with martial monk, as it allows you to ignore prerequisites)
3. Pole Master, monk 2: Robilar's Gambit (again, ignore prereqs)
psychic warrior 1: Power Attack
6. Dodge, psychic warrior 2: Karmic Strike
fighter 2: Defensive Throw

Feats are mostly from PH, PH2 and CW, except Pole Master, which is from Secrets of Sarlona.

tjvbull
2016-05-11, 09:24 PM
What's the point of taking Murky-Eyed as a flaw if you're just going to turn around and take Blind-Fight as a feat?
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking when I picked up blind fight. I might get rid of murky eyed for something else, just so I'm not negating the flaw. Just saw blind fight and grabbed it, because it's nice.

I would consider doing something with combining Decisive Strike with Jack B. Quick: you attack me, I attack you four times for double/triple/quadruple damage. I'm not sure there'd be much monk in it, though... I think you get everything you need with just Monk 2.
That guide actually looks amazing, and if I can convince my DM to let me do Martial and Hunter Monk, that actually lets me have access to ranger easier for TWF.

You can very easily get proficiency by taking your fighter levels in exoticist fighter, also a Dragon #310 variant. Also, consider two levels in psychic warrior, for two more bonus feats, and some nifty powers (wisdom-based!), or ardent, which is really nice and strong, especially with Practiced Manifester.
I try to stay away from Psionics, just because when I DM (Not often, but apparently I'm okay at it.) I don't normally allow it, because some psionic abilities tend to break campaigns, so I don't want to play it in someone else's campaign. But this looks really good, if I get the chance, I might do it if someone allows psionics. I might do the dwarven warpike as well, it does look nice.

ATHATH
2016-05-11, 10:07 PM
Little known fact: Martial Monk does ignore prerequisites, but, due to the ways it's worded, it can only chose its bonus feats from the Fighter Bonus Feat list in the PHB, and NOT from feats that just say "Fighters can choose this feat as one of their Bonus Feats".