PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Half-Oni and Boarkin races

ES Curse
2016-05-11, 10:07 AM
Hey guys! I'm homebrewing these races for a campaign setting and would like some opinions on the features I'm including. For balance purposes, know that Elves can turn into CR0 beasts and Dragonborn are aquatic humanoids with spells that can ignore being underwater. (ex. Underwater Flames)

Half-Oni: Few know why Half-Oni exist. As few mortals would actually copulate with an Oni, the more probable cause for these shadow-tainted humans involves using infants and the unborn as pawns or currency in bargains with an Oni. While some of these deals are made by ambitious spellcasters, others are made to save or protect others from an Oni. A lost mother who trades her infant's humanity to guarantee the pair makes it home safely, or a couple who agrees to an Oni's terms to stop attacks on a village are two such examples of this situation.

In the world, Half-Oni are feared and reviled. They have skin tinted in shades of blue, green, or red, with white hair. Their irises are pure black, which can appear almost Oni-like at times. Some develop horns, though these are not useful weapons. Because of their Oni blood, Half-Oni are drawn sorcery and can use spells similar to those employed regularly by full Oni.
----------
ASI: +2 CHA, +1 INT
Age: Half-Oni live about as long as humans, though many meet violent deaths.
Alignment: A Half-Oni's life is shaped by prejudice and discrimination. Abominations in the eyes of nature and society, many ultimately succumb to evil alignments. Turning their backs on a world that hates them, Half-Oni generally fall into chaotic alignments because they simply do not fit into lawful society.
Size: Half-Oni are Medium creatures
Speed: 30 feet
Darkvision: 60 feet
Shadow Bloodline: You have resistance to necrotic damage
Oni Magic: Your Oni ancestry gives you access to the abilities of a full-blooded Oni, albeit in a lesser form. You may cast the spell "Disguise Self" once per long rest. At 3rd level, you learn one of the following spells: (Darkness, Invisibility, Enlarge/Reduce*, Gaseous Form). You may cast this spell once per long rest. You learn another spell from this list at 5th level with similar restrictions. (* If you choose Enlarge/Reduce, you may only use this spell to enlarge yourself.)
----------

Boarkin:

To best understand the Boarkin, you should hear the myth of their origin:
"Once upon a time, a hunter and his wife lived in the forest. They lived simply but comfortably, for the woods were teeming with wild vegetation and fresh game. One day, the hunter died fighting a boar, which also died in the struggle. When the hunter's wife found the bodies lying side by side, she noticed her dear husband had been impaled through the heart by the boar's tusk. Desperate to save the hunter from death's embrace, she performed a ritual to replace his heart with that of the boar's. The hunter awoke afterward, but he was almost a different person entirely. His sense of smell became much more acute, his muscles grew thick and powerful, and his appetite was nearly insatiable. Over the course of five years, the hunter's body changed to reflect its new hybrid spirit, especially visible in his snout nose, beady eyes, and large tusks. As his body changed, so did his mind; the hunter forgot how to read, saved less and less food for his wife, and grew increasingly belligerent. Disgusted with his piggish behavior, the wife abandoned her husband and returned to society. The hunter stayed in the forest and began to breed with the very boars he once hunted. Centuries later, legends spoke of his descendants, a race of anthropomorphic boars modeled after the hunter's changed body."

Life among the Boarkin is harsh and violent. They are a martial culture that prides itself on meritocracy and strength. A chieftain only remains in power until a male, with permission from other elders in the tribe, bests him in a fatal duel. Boarkin live for battle, and consider a noble death in combat to be worth a dozen peaceful lifetimes. Many aspects of Boarkin culture reinforce their violent nature, the least of which is a form of no-holds-barred wrestling that serves as both a spectator sport and highlight of their festivities.

Boarkin, despite their harsh tempers, stubbornness, and warrior culture, are quite friendly with other races. They see humans as their natural masters, and instinctively take a servile role in their presence. Individual manifestations of this trait vary, from becoming a noble's hulking bodyguard to being a nanny for human children.

----------
ASI: +2 STR, +2 CON
Age: Few Boarkin live beyond 60 due to the fatal nature of their politics and their tendency to take huge risks
Alignment: Boarkin span the whole alignment of good and evil, ranging from noble shamans/warriors to marauding bandits or pirates. Boarkin in their own lands lean towards chaos, but those who serve wealthy families or as soldiers/guards are fiercely lawful and loyal to the institutions they uphold.
Size: Civilized Boarkin are Medium creatures. Rumors tell of savage, violent subraces that are larger.
Speed: 30 feet (+10 feet on a Dash action)
Tusks: Boarkin have large tusks which can be used as weapons. Tusk attacks are a type of unarmed strike that deals 1d10 piercing damage.
Pigheaded: Boarkin have advantage on saving throws vs spells that charm, frighten, or otherwise influence the Boarkin's feelings/opinions/judgement
Snout: Boarkin have an amazing sense of smell. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception), Intelligence (Investigation), and Wisdom (Nature) to find and follow tracks made in the last week. If the creature does not have a distinct smell, such as many constructs, or has never been encountered by you, this bonus does not apply.
----------

quinron
2016-05-11, 10:47 AM
For the half-oni: It seems weird that this race would get two mental ability buffs. Oni are distinguished by being magical, yes, but they're still ogres; replacing one of the bonuses with a Strength bonus would make it feel more fluff-appropriate. The wording on Oni Magic ("...with similar restrictions" in particular) could be made more explicit, and you also need to indicate the spellcasting ability for this trait.

For the boarkin: Way too powerful. Having a +2 to 2 core combat abilities AND an always-accessible weapon with a 1d10 damage die makes them overpowered in combat right out the gate, and advantage both on saves against enchantments and checks for tracking is just going to encourage dumping Wisdom; in short, this race seems very designed to min/max.

I'd change the ability bonuses to +2/+1, drop the damage die on the tusks to 16 (maybe even 1d4), and just lose the enchantment resistance. Not sure if that'd nerf it enough that you need to add something else in, but if so I'd recommend adding an Endurance trait, since boars and boar-like creatures always have that trait in 5e.

Wulfskadi
2016-05-11, 08:16 PM
I agree with Jinjitsu

The half Oni should get a primary mental stat bonus and a secodary physical stat bonus, possibly split up into sub-races based on color (red Oni are brutes, blue tricksters, and green beasts).

Otherwise the race is fine, though I honestly would make disguise self either at will or permanent during concentration because Oni are known to disguise themselves for long periods amongst humans.

But nonetheless, good material, I would use it in my campaign.

For Boarkin, I agree with the toning down of the physical buffs, I think putting the +2 in constitution would make the most sense with the boar theme. Also I would keep the tusk attack but still tone it down (because 1d10 is equal to minotaurs {unearthed arcana waterborne}) and make it only usable as a charging attack. Additionally I would tone down the pigheadedness, maybe make it either resistance to fear or charms but not both.

ES Curse
2016-05-12, 08:57 PM
All right, I'll take another stab at these based on your feedback:

Half-Oni:
Few know why Half-Oni exist. As few mortals would actually copulate with an Oni, the more probable cause for these shadow-tainted humans involves using infants and the unborn as pawns or currency in bargains with an Oni. While some of these deals are made by ambitious spellcasters, others are made to save or protect others from an Oni. A lost mother who trades her infant's humanity to guarantee the pair makes it home safely, or a couple who agrees to an Oni's terms to stop attacks on a village are two such examples of this situation.

In the world, Half-Oni are feared and reviled. They have skin tinted in shades of blue, green, or red, with white hair. Their irises are pure black, which can appear almost Oni-like at times. Some develop horns, though these are not useful weapons. Because of their Oni blood, Half-Oni are drawn sorcery and can use spells similar to those employed regularly by full Oni.
----------
ASI: +2 CHA, +1 STR (Variant: +2 CHA, +1 INT)
Age: Half-Oni live about as long as humans, though many meet violent deaths.
Alignment: A Half-Oni's life is shaped by prejudice and discrimination. Abominations in the eyes of nature and society, many ultimately succumb to evil alignments. Turning their backs on a world that hates them, Half-Oni generally fall into chaotic alignments because they simply do not fit into lawful society.
Size: Half-Oni are Medium creatures
Speed: 30 feet
Darkvision: 60 feet
Shadow Bloodline: You have resistance to necrotic damage
Oni Magic: Your Oni ancestry gives you access to the abilities of a full-blooded Oni, albeit in a lesser form. You may cast the spell "Disguise Self" once per long rest. At 3rd level, you learn one of the following spells: (Darkness, Invisibility, Enlarge/Reduce*, Gaseous Form). You may cast this spell once per long rest. You learn another spell from this list at 5th level that can also be cast once per long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells. (* If you choose Enlarge/Reduce, you may only use this spell to enlarge yourself.)
----------

Boarkin:
To best understand the Boarkin, you should hear the myth of their origin:
"Once upon a time, a hunter and his wife lived in the forest. They lived simply but comfortably, for the woods were teeming with wild vegetation and fresh game. One day, the hunter died fighting a boar, which also died in the struggle. When the hunter's wife found the bodies lying side by side, she noticed her dear husband had been impaled through the heart by the boar's tusk. Desperate to save the hunter from death's embrace, she performed a ritual to replace his heart with that of the boar's. The hunter awoke afterward, but he was almost a different person entirely. His sense of smell became much more acute, his muscles grew thick and powerful, and his appetite was nearly insatiable. Over the course of five years, the hunter's body changed to reflect its new hybrid spirit, especially visible in his snout nose, beady eyes, and large tusks. As his body changed, so did his mind; the hunter forgot how to read, saved less and less food for his wife, and grew increasingly belligerent. Disgusted with his piggish behavior, the wife abandoned her husband and returned to society. The hunter stayed in the forest and began to breed with the very boars he once hunted. Centuries later, legends spoke of his descendants, a race of anthropomorphic boars modeled after the hunter's changed body."

Life among the Boarkin is harsh and violent. They are a martial culture that prides itself on meritocracy and strength. A chieftain only remains in power until a male, with permission from other elders in the tribe, bests him in a fatal duel. Boarkin live for battle, and consider a noble death in combat to be worth a dozen peaceful lifetimes. Many aspects of Boarkin culture reinforce their violent nature, the least of which is a form of no-holds-barred wrestling that serves as both a spectator sport and highlight of their festivities.

Boarkin, despite their harsh tempers, stubbornness, and warrior culture, are quite friendly with other races. They see humans as their natural masters, and instinctively take a servile role in their presence. Individual manifestations of this trait vary, from becoming a noble's hulking bodyguard to being a nanny for human children.

----------
ASI: +2 CON, +1 STR
Age: Few Boarkin live beyond 60 due to the fatal nature of their politics and their tendency to take huge risks
Alignment: Boarkin span the whole alignment of good and evil, ranging from noble shamans/warriors to marauding bandits or pirates. Boarkin in their own lands lean towards chaos, but those who serve wealthy families or as soldiers/guards are fiercely lawful and loyal to the institutions they uphold.
Size: Civilized Boarkin are Medium creatures. Rumors tell of savage, violent subraces that are larger.
Speed: 30 feet (+10 feet on a Dash action)
Tusks: Boarkin have large tusks which can be used as weapons. Tusk attacks are a type of unarmed strike that deals 1d6 piercing damage.
Stubborn: Boarkin have advantage on saving throws to avoid being frightened.
Relentless: When hit by an attack that reduces you to zero hit points but does not kill you outright, you may choose to be reduced to 1 hit point instead. You may only use this power once per long rest.
Snout: Boarkin have an amazing sense of smell. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception), Intelligence (Investigation), and Wisdom (Nature) to find and follow tracks made in the last week. If the creature does not have a distinct smell, such as many constructs, or has never been encountered by you, this bonus does not apply. At your DM's discretion, this trait can also be used in specific biomes that you are familiar with, such as a jungle or large cave, to gain advantage on Wisdom (Nature) checks to forage for food.
----------

quinron
2016-05-13, 06:30 AM
The changes seem pretty good. The boarkin still feels a bit overpowered to me, but only a bit; it's probably fine. However, I have 3 problems with things from the original that I missed.

Firstly, be more explicit about what "+10 feet on a Dash action" means; I'm not sure whether that means that the extra movement only applies to the Dash movement (70 ft. total) or to the whole turn (80 ft. total).

Secondly, especially if they're only getting mental stat bonuses, why would any half-oni ever want to take enlarge/reduce? Pure casters don't get any benefit out of being larger, so most likely only a bladelock or valor bard would want to use it; I'd recommend that you lock in enlarge at 3, then give them an option from the rest at 5. Alternatively, give them proficiency with the glaive; it's this edition's oni's signature weapon, and it would give non-martial classes an incentive for taking enlarge.

Thirdly, why are half-onis resistant to necrotic damage? The normal oni isn't, and it doesn't seem like an especially oni-like trait. It just seems weird to me.

ES Curse
2016-05-13, 12:39 PM
The necrotic resist is both an adaptation of the Tiefling (which I used as a base) and something that moreso applies in the homebrew setting I intend to introduce these races in.

I suppose these races have opposite issues with fleshing out properly. Oni have a lot of powers, but I don't want the entire race to be some stat boosts and free spells. Half-Oni sorcerers/warlocks make a ton of sense and sound like a perfect fit for the race, but choosing their +1 ability and non-spell features is difficult because I don't know whether to lean them toward INT/wizards or STR/melee combat. I might have subraces just so both options are viable.

I have a clear vision for the Boarkin (strong warriors with the traits of boars), but tempering their specialization with useful features that don't make them better combatants is an issue.

quinron
2016-05-13, 01:26 PM
Subraces would actually be a really cool idea - you could have one more combatant branch that get more of the "ogre" part and one branch that get more of the "mage" part.

Wulfskadi
2016-05-13, 02:47 PM
This is an Oni racial template I whipped up a couple months back, I didn't post it because it isn't refined but it may help with ideas for sub races

Oni

Traits
Shifting: The Oni can change its form as a bonus action. The Oni has 3 forms. A true form in which it resembles a humanoid with colored skin, horns and fangs. A Giant form which is simply the Oni’s true form but of large size. And a human form which shows how the Oni would look if it were human. The Oni cannot shift if in direct sunlight. Any gear the Oni is wearing remains the same when it shifts unless it is magically enhanced to allow shapeshifting.

Ability increase: The Oni’s strength goes up by 1

Oni training: Oni are naturals with bludgeoning weapons. They gain proficiency with clubs, cudgels, sticks, great clubs… anything that resembles a big stick or large smashing thing it’s a safe bet theat theyare proficient.

Subraces:

Blue Oni:
Magic adepts: The Oni gains the benefits of the Magic initiate feat.
Shifting: Blue Oni’s are more fluid with magic than their brethren allowing them more adaptive shifting. Blue Oni’s may know 3 other forms. They can learn a form by studying a humanoid large or smaller for 1d4 hours, or by eating part of it. If the Oni studied the creature it must make an investigation check to the creatures appearance. On a failure the disguise is incomplete, small things missing from the person’s anatomy.
Ability score: The Oni’s dexterity goes up by 1 and its charisma goes up by 1

Red Oni:
Hide of Iron: While in True form or giant form the Oni gets a +1 to AC from natural armor
Shifting: Red Onis are the strongest of their race. Though they are often brutish and uncivilized they still retain intelligence far surpassing that of other giants. They have none of the fluid grace in shifting as Blue or Green Oni and often hide amongst criminals to lessen the suspicion of their great size and odd tendencies. However what they lack in adaptability they make up for in power. Red Oni can use weapons made for Large creatures in any form and can grow or shrink one piece of equipment when they shift.
Ability score increase: The Oni’s strength goes up by 1 and its constitution goes up by 1

Green Oni
Hunters: Green Oni often keep to the wilds, exhibiting a natural ability in using nature to their advantange. Often Green Oni human forms may appear elf-like or fey. A green Oni gains proficiency in either the Nature or survival skills.
Shifting: Green Onis are equally in tune with nature as they are with humanoids. A Green Oni can know one beast form of its choice that is medium or small size. It must eat a part of this beast to learn its form. The Oni’s statistics are the same in its beast form however it gains one natural perk the beast had such as a heightened sense or climbing speed. This perk can also be used in its true form as it becomes a kind of hybrid thing
Ability score increase: The Oni’s constitution goes up by 1 The Oni’s wisdom goes up by 1

Wulfskadi
2016-05-13, 02:48 PM
Also, if you're going to go with the whole appearance changing thing go all in or not at all