PDA

View Full Version : Champion/Life Cleric MC

Spacehamster
2016-05-11, 12:26 PM
So idea is to cover both the role of secondary healer and a basher of skulls, half Orc as race to improve champion crits. Polearm master and GWM as feats of choice, rest goes to pump STR and WIS. Go to combat spell is bless so he can use GWM all day every day without much of the drawback, other spell slots mostly used to heal in between combat and for utility, thinking 6 levels fighter ---> 9 levels cleric and then go back to fighter for the rest of his career.

How does this sound? Prob slightly less damage then a full fighter but tons more usefulness due to essentially becoming a half caster from MC.

If made with point buy starting stats: 15(17)/8/15(16)/8/15/8 with first ASI putting STR to 18 and WIS to 16, next would be polearm master, followed by maxing STR.
In the end stats would end up 20/8/16/8/18/8 probably or keep WIS at 16 and CON at 18 instead.

R.Shackleford
2016-05-11, 01:41 PM
So idea is to cover both the role of secondary healer and a basher of skulls, half Orc as race to improve champion crits. Polearm master and GWM as feats of choice, rest goes to pump STR and WIS. Go to combat spell is bless so he can use GWM all day every day without much of the drawback, other spell slots mostly used to heal in between combat and for utility, thinking 6 levels fighter ---> 9 levels cleric and then go back to fighter for the rest of his career.

How does this sound? Prob slightly less damage then a full fighter but tons more usefulness due to essentially becoming a half caster from MC.

If made with point buy starting stats: 15(17)/8/15(16)/8/15/8 with first ASI putting STR to 18 and WIS to 16, next would be polearm master, followed by maxing STR.
In the end stats would end up 20/8/16/8/18/8 probably or keep WIS at 16 and CON at 18 instead.

Please fluff it as a samurai using the *draw out* ability to use your spells.

You will do just fine, Fighter 5/Cleric 15 final build works well.

Specter
2016-05-11, 02:28 PM
If you're going for secondary healing, try Banneret from SCAG. Level 3 ability is essentially a Mass Healing Word.
I also believe Fighter has a way better synergy with War Domain.

R.Shackleford
2016-05-11, 02:31 PM
If you're going for secondary healing, try Banneret from SCAG. Level 3 ability is essentially a Mass Healing Word.

Better synergy but not really needed.

As a secondary character who bashed faces Fighter/Cleric (Any) works well enough.

Though if you go Fighter / War then you may as well went Paladin.

Biggstick
2016-05-11, 03:22 PM

I mean, wouldn't a Half Orc Vengeance Paladin fill the same role you're looking to fill here? You could even go Crown if Spirit Guardians was a primary spell you were considering. With either Oath though, you're going to have access to spells that allow you to heal inbetween combats, Lay on hands, a pretty beastly save aura (will be at least +2 to all saves if you're focusing on maxing Str first), buff spells (Bless/Magic Weapon), and stronger opportunity attack with Smite and Improved Smite. You'd also be picking up the respected Channel Divinity, both of which are powerful. Personally I think Vengeance would suit a GWM build better for the guaranteed advantage once per short rest.

What level do you expect the campaign you're building this character for to go to? That might help us to help you.

The only loss I see is the 19-20 crit range, action surge, second wind, and Con save proficiency. For what you're gaining out of Paladin, I think it's definitely worth it.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-05-11, 03:28 PM
Ok, first off, Final Fantasy Tactics is an awesome game. If you can emulate that game then do it. I now want to make a Wild Mage Sorcerer/Fighter again and set it up as a Samurai.

Secondly, you can do this so many ways that it doesn't matter how you specifically do it. As long as your group isn't super optimized (which, if you have a life cleric then probably not).

Don't worry about optimization, pretty much no matter what you do you will end up useful. Boost Attack Stat and Wisdom and go to town.

Spacehamster
2016-05-11, 03:33 PM

What is it that is so good with War cleric? Already got an unlimited bonus attack from PAM, the +10 to hit once per short rest
is nice I guess but already get too hit from bless so its bit redundant when limited to only once per short rest. :)

Spacehamster
2016-05-11, 03:34 PM
I mean, wouldn't a Half Orc Vengeance Paladin fill the same role you're looking to fill here? You could even go Crown if Spirit Guardians was a primary spell you were considering. With either Oath though, you're going to have access to spells that allow you to heal inbetween combats, Lay on hands, a pretty beastly save aura (will be at least +2 to all saves if you're focusing on maxing Str first), buff spells (Bless/Magic Weapon), and stronger opportunity attack with Smite and Improved Smite. You'd also be picking up the respected Channel Divinity, both of which are powerful. Personally I think Vengeance would suit a GWM build better for the guaranteed advantage once per short rest.

What level do you expect the campaign you're building this character for to go to? That might help us to help you.

The only loss I see is the 19-20 crit range, action surge, second wind, and Con save proficiency. For what you're gaining out of Paladin, I think it's definitely worth it.

Donīt want to play paladins simple as, you also forgot loose out on 3rd attack which is a big deal. :)
Also got a multi class fetish so cant bring myself to be bored within a single class. ;)

georgie_leech
2016-05-11, 03:40 PM
Donīt want to play paladins simple as, you also forgot loose out on 3rd attack which is a big deal. :)
Also got a multi class fetish so cant bring myself to be bored within a single class. ;)

Worth noting that the third attack only comes online at level 20 with your plan. That's 15 levels where that 'loss' doesn't apply.

Spacehamster
2016-05-11, 03:51 PM
Worth noting that the third attack only comes online at level 20 with your plan. That's 15 levels where that 'loss' doesn't apply.

quite aware of that but 3 attacks per round and decent chance to reaction attack is more then enough with the versatility of cleric spells. :)

R.Shackleford
2016-05-11, 04:58 PM
quite aware of that but 3 attacks per round and decent chance to reaction attack is more then enough with the versatility of cleric spells. :)

Really you don't even need to go that far in Fighter for a third attack. Just pick up Spiritual Weapon 1 - 8d8 + Wis mod damage as a bonus action (level 2 average of 4.5 + Wis ain't bad for a bonus action attack).

Fighter 5/ Cleric 15 gives you a ton more spells than Fighter 11/Cleric 9

Biggstick
2016-05-11, 05:31 PM
Really you don't even need to go that far in Fighter for a third attack. Just pick up Spiritual Weapon 1 - 8d8 + Wis mod damage as a bonus action (level 2 average of 4.5 + Wis ain't bad for a bonus action attack).

Fighter 5/ Cleric 15 gives you a ton more spells than Fighter 11/Cleric 9

This is actually a really neat way to gain the bonus action attack. The only thing I'd bring up is Spiritual Weapon's damage increases by 1d8 for every 2 spell slot levels above the 2nd, meaning a level 4 spell for a 2d8 weapon, or a level 6 spell for a 3d8 weapon. While increasing the average damage per turn (since the Spiritual Weapon is better then the bonus action granted by the PAM), I think the spell slot would be better used on Spirit Guardians and upcasting that spell.

I also completely agree that the third Fighter attack comes online way too late for the build. The Fighter 5/Cleric 15 will work out better in spell power, but it will be slightly lacking in ASI's (only 4). The only reason to get that 6th level Fighter imo is the extra ASI.

Spacehamster
2016-05-11, 05:53 PM
Well he is an Half Orc, he does not understand the optimization you speak of and he
is much more fightery then clericy so 5/15 is not just possible for him to comprehend as
he thinks that is for hill dwarfs and other more castery folks. :)

But true better way to get a "3rd attack" would be 3 levels ranger for horde breaker.