PDA

View Full Version : High Seas

Pages : [1] 2

Tharione
2016-05-11, 01:08 PM
June, 1723.
Somewhere in the midsea.

The Merchant Ray was not a ship appealing to the senses. It was old, smelled of a number of unpleasant things, the wood on much of it was old and starting to decay, and anything iron was coated in plenty of rust. It was not a ship that many aboard planned to be on. A half dozen or so souls now rotted away in an improvised brig deep in the hold of the ship. Stuck in the dark, creaking, leaking hull of a pirate vessel and trapped in cramped iron cages. Being barely fed (or not fed at all in the case of one special captive) and picked at by the rats as they were hauled off to some unknown fate. You are one of these poor captives, trapped for long enough to lose track of the days with no view of the sun, with nothing to keep you company but other captives and the creaking of the ships hull. Whether you were taken from a ship or port, by poison or at the point of a sword, 20 days ago or 60... it hardly seems relevant now.

The one benefit of the hold was it was usually cool, the downside is that it was often very cold. Today is a particularly cold day, like any other save for that feature, when you hear a commotion on the deck above. Perhaps a port has been sighted, or a ship is being raided.

You wait for the boom of the cannons to determine which.... but all is quiet, at least briefly. After long moments shouts and cries arise, muffled by the intervening floors of wood. Pistols are fired and the keen ear might just make out the distinct ring of metal blades clashing together.

Then.. silence. Save for the creaking of the ship. Eerie silence, as if not a soul is aboard.

otep7734
2016-05-11, 03:08 PM
Xat sat quiet for a long moment, he was far too tired to get excited about the sounds of battle... then dead silence.

Oi! Are any of you bloody pirates still alive?! I'm still waiting to speak to the captain!

Andrezitos
2016-05-11, 03:10 PM
"Wwhat know?!", thinks Boris. This young man had his luck turned when he crossed these pirates and things don't seem to become any better. He tries his best ([roll0] perception) to guess what is happening in the outside. Perhaps the navy finally dicided this old boat is a good shooting target, perhaps those degraded sailor let the hull hit the coral reef, Boris wonders for the briefest of the moments.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-11, 04:52 PM
A fight on deck but without a naval battle preceding it. Not good. It indicates that the hostile party was allowed onboard before the fighting broke out. That probably means more pirates. Not good. Connak tugs futilely at the bars of his cage for the millionth time, still solid. "Hey, you want to keep it down? Whatever's going on topside it probably doesn't bode any better for us unless we keep quiet. We might be able to take the ship and sail to a port after they leave, but not if they come down here and decide to have some fun with us."

otep7734
2016-05-11, 05:03 PM
What's the point? We've been in these blasted cages for who knows how long. We've been trying to get out since we've been tossed into this sorry excuse for a brig...

We're not long for the world either way you look at it! Either we go down with the ship, die from consumption or scurvy...

CozJa
2016-05-11, 05:10 PM
Headaches, this damn cold always gives him headaches. "and now..." thinks Sam, "the obnoxious squabbling about what happened on deck."
Sam rise his head for a moment, trying to see something around in the dim light.
"Why don't you just shut up? Unless anybody here has got a good idea on how to get out, I'd really like some silence"

Tharione
2016-05-11, 05:53 PM
the ship is still moving, nothing else to be heard.

the bars are newer than the ship but not by much, iron and rusted.
Previously you noticed the sounds of another ship breaking the water possibly, now you hear nothing aboard and nothing outside.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-11, 10:33 PM
After waiting until he is sure that all is still Connak takes a deep breath. "Okay. It sounds like they're gone. Time to make our move."

Getting as far away from the door of his cell as the cramped space will allow Connak closes his eyes not that it makes a shred of difference even to his enhanced senses and centers himself. He imagines everything he loves about the sea, the warm morning sun breaking over the horizon, the soft spray curling off of the bow, the flap of an untrimmed sail in a light breeze, then drawing strength from the desire to experience all of this again and with a sudden explosion of effort he throws himself against the door of his cage with all of his might hoping to smash the rusted metal and break free from this soul crushing prison of icy blackness.

Take 20 on a Strength Check to break out. Result: 22

CozJa
2016-05-12, 02:25 AM
While the other prisoners are still doing a lot of noise "And what is that one doing? Breaking the cage? How crude..."
Sam cracks a piece of wood on the cell and starts to pick the lock.

Tacking 20 in disable device check: modifiers are +5-2 therefore: 23

samduke
2016-05-12, 09:49 AM
Liana listening to the others muses over the possibilities.. Bai Hu go get the keys for the cage from up stairs Liana sends Bai Hu the Ferret to go fetch the cage keys..

Andrezitos
2016-05-12, 04:00 PM
Boris hears the ferret walking around, looking for the keys, and decides to wait and see if the furry animal accomplishes its mission. Go, my little friend, find these keys and help us out this leaking shell.

otep7734
2016-05-12, 04:30 PM
Xat felt around the cage for a moment, trying to feel for anything that he could use to his own advantage.

Perception: [roll0]

If the bars are wide enough apart I can attempt an escape artist check, with the result of a 24 plus or minus any modifiers for being small.

JNAProductions
2016-05-13, 12:05 AM
Jonathan groans awake, his coral-encrusted body slow to move. Ergh... Anyone have any good ideas on what to do here?

Tharione
2016-05-13, 12:28 AM
Straining against the bars proves to be fruitless for Connak, the iron just refuses to give.
Meanwhile Sam attempts to pick the lock on his own cage with splinters of wood, a frustrating task that results in multiple pieces of wood snapping.

Many minutes pass...

...At long last the lock clicks, opening the door to Stormbolts cage at about the same time as a metallic jangling can be heard.

Definitely keys jangling, rhythmically louder and softer, and getting closer as a tiny ferret bounds across the hold carrying a ring of keys. It drops these in front of Lianas cage, easily within reach.

CozJa
2016-05-13, 02:18 AM
The expression of satisfaction on Sam's face changes quickly as he hears the key jangling.
"Oh, no! Don't tell me I've almost gone mad opening this damn door and one of you obtained the keys without any effort! I'll... I'll just get back in my cell!"

samduke
2016-05-13, 06:50 AM
The expression of satisfaction on Sam's face changes quickly as he hears the key jangling.
"Oh, no! Don't tell me I've almost gone mad opening this damn door and one of you obtained the keys without any effort! I'll... I'll just get back in my cell!"
Liana reaches through and grabs the keys and retrieves Bai Hu giving him a little pet and stowing him away,
Without effort hardly my good fellow the ferret worked hard for those keys just as you worked hard to open your lock
liana finds the appropriate key that will unlock the cage and turns the lock, once freed she will unlock all of the others as well

JNAProductions
2016-05-13, 06:51 AM
Thank you, Johnathan says once he is freed.

Tharione
2016-05-13, 08:15 AM
Everyone finds their cage to be unlocked, although it is still dark.

samduke
2016-05-13, 09:47 AM
After opening the cages, Liana will find the stairs up and slowly proceed up looking and listening as she goes.

listen [roll0]
spot [roll1]

otep7734
2016-05-13, 12:13 PM
Well I'll be damned, the ferret saves the day... thank you our little furry friend.

I don't know about you, but I'm going to try and find the galley.

Going to sneak around, looking about the ship while trying to find the galley (kitchen for the non Nautical types :p)

Stealth: [roll0]

CozJa
2016-05-13, 01:08 PM
"Overshadowed by a furry mammal? I should've stayed in the cage!"
Sam, starts looking around, seeing what the others are doing before moving on...

"Anybody needs some light?"

Tharione
2016-05-13, 01:13 PM
The question that answers itself. Without light one cannot see what the others are doing.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-13, 02:23 PM
"Light would be nice. We should secure the powder magazine and the armory first, and everybody should stay below decks and out of sight until we do," Connak says moving to the hull and feeling his way aft towards where he assumes the stairs to be.

Tharione
2016-05-13, 04:13 PM
Connak, Xat, and Liana stumble about through the darkened hold of the ship, stumbling and bumping into unseen obstacles and one another. Eventually they arrive at the stairs up to the midship floor. Cracks and holes in the boards above let in enough sunlight to see the chamber, in perfect detail for those with low-light vision.

A dozen or so bunks and hammocks line the walls, none in a very clean state with each having its own unique and pungent odor. Candles are present but unlit, a few rolling around on the floor in time with the gentle swaying of the ship. Numerous items and personal effects have been left here, including several swords still in a rack by the far end of the room. Alongside this rack at the far side of the chamber is a room sealed with a door, two stairways up to the main deck flank this back wall. In the center of the room is a cargo hole leading to the hold and directly above that is a closed grate over a hole of the same size in the ceiling.

There is no sight or sound of the crew aside from what they left behind.

otep7734
2016-05-13, 04:31 PM
Where the hell is the crew?

Xat carefully went through the sleeping area gathering everything useful or of value. Placing them in the hammocks to keep from rolling around.

He decided against opening the door just yet, taking a room by room approach.

CozJa
2016-05-13, 04:37 PM
Sam moves his hand, pointing forward, and from each his fingers a arise a little orb of light.
"Here it is" He says, before following Connak and reaching the others.
When they are in the area, he starts illuminating for the others, while using his low-light vision where he can, following those that are exploring the room

samduke
2016-05-13, 05:12 PM
Liana looks through the loot the others have found..
asking for a >studded< leather armor suit, 1 of the pistols & a sailors outfit

JNAProductions
2016-05-13, 05:17 PM
Johnathan slowly follows along, declining to take any of the booty.

otep7734
2016-05-13, 05:49 PM
Take what you need, it's all too big for me... you would figure on a ship this size, there would be at least one small person...

PallentisLunam
2016-05-13, 07:33 PM
Connak takes a cursory glance around the deck, nodding his thanks to Sam. He searches for a couple of handy blades, the likes of which are common enough among all manner of sailors. He also picks up the chain mail vest and pulls it on over his clothing. Searching for the head wrap, shirt and pants with the least offensive odors he dresses himself for deck work.

After he has equipped himself, Connak creeps over to the door and puts an ear to it listening very carefully for sounds of life from the other side. If he hears nothing he will try the latch.

Rapier, Dagger, Chain Shirt, Pirate Outfit

Stealth Roll: [roll0]
Perception Roll: [roll1]

Tharione
2016-05-13, 07:58 PM
Connak hears nothing beyond. Opening this door reveals a cramped kitchen stocked with a few barrels, crates, and sacks as well as a full set of cookware.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-13, 08:17 PM
Connak whistles to get Xat's attention and nods towards the door. Moving towards one of the stairs to the top deck he shields his eyes against the brightness of the sun, the beautiful sun that he hasn't seen for weeks. Giving his eyes a minute to adjust, Connak studies the deck carefully from the shadows of the stairwell.

Andrezitos
2016-05-13, 09:06 PM
Boris comes across a bench with a patchwork of mail chains and leather straps.It seems someone in this boat used to put this things together to better equip a band of dashing, but armored, pirates, or whatever. Perhaps not the best protective material but will do for now (probably studded leather or regular leather armor). He founds also a relatively well conserved sword (scimitar), with inscriptions in the shape of little boats, among a bunch of rusted weapons inside a barrel. He gives a few hits in the air to feel the weight and balance. It is nice to have something to defend himself again. Would any of you mind if I take one of this pistols? I have a good aim.

otep7734
2016-05-13, 09:50 PM
Xat quickly grabs a club and walks into the kitchen, his stomach well beyond empty.

He searches the kitchen for food any anything else he happens to come across in the process.

A bushel of apples... sweet glorious apples... He says biting firmly into one.

He looks about and wonders why the garlic... superstition or to cover the taste of rotting meat on a long voyage...

CozJa
2016-05-14, 02:01 AM
Sam takes one of the leather armors and the remaining scimitar, wears one of the outfits (seaching for the less dirty one) and follows the others into the kitchen

"It looks like people suddenly disappeared" He says, while biting an apple too

samduke
2016-05-14, 06:16 AM
liana walks into the galley, grabbing 2 apples stuffing one in her pocket and a decent sized chunk of salted pork in with her ferret and eating on the other apple, Sure is strange I agree but I suspect a slightly larger issue with no one down here and none up there from the sounds of it this ship is not controlled, and if that is the case one of us needs to be at that wheel here soon.

Tharione
2016-05-14, 10:40 AM
The upper deck is a welcome change after so long in the odious depths of the Merchant Ray. Radiant light bathes everything from the sun above, currently unhindered by the few white clouds in an otherwise clear blue sky. The smell of fresh sea air is carried along a breeze that caresses any who stand in the open. All around the ship is nothing but calm blue ocean, from here to the horizon in all directions save for one... Behind the ship, near the horizon, a dark cloud of fog can just barely be seen.

The deck itself is the part of the ship in best repair and the one showing the most damage all at once. Many parts of it have been replaced with parts that are near-matches or different styles entirely, leaving the deck with a patchwork quality. The central upper deck is flat and bordered by railing. It is relatively free of clutter, being home to only a few buckets, mops, and brushes. Two cannons are locked into place on the starboard side along with five winches fully coiled with several hundred feet of rope, at the end of each rope is a large sized harpoon. The main mast runs through the center of the deck and high above, holding aloft great white sails. A pirates flag tops the structure. Toward the front of the deck are stairs on both port and starboard leading up to the top of the forecastle, with a door set between them leading inside. The opposite end of the ship is dominated by the cabin, with steeper stairs leading up to the helm atop it, a set of double doors set between them leads into the cabin. Smaller masts run through both the cabin and forecastle.

There are signs of a recent struggle here: the occasional puddle of blood, fresh gash in the railing, and the shafts of a dozen black arrows embedded about the deck.

otep7734
2016-05-14, 11:25 AM
This feels like a ghost ship... clear signs of battle but not a single corpse.

Xat continues looking about the ship, taking a good look at anything that is in dire need of repair.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-14, 01:15 PM
Connak crouches low and, making a mental note to check the condition on the weaponry as soon as practicalities allow, keeps a hand on his new blade as he creeps out of the shadows onto the deck. His eyes are scanning the rigging for pirates. Heading for the rear quarter deck and the helm Connak shifts his focus to the waters, searching for sailors nearby and sails further out. On reaching the stern he takes a good hard look at the "fog cloud" behind the ship, knowing that land often resembles such at a distance.

He also takes note of the wind's speed and direction as well as the state of the surrounding seas. "What manner of craft could bring sailors to board a vessel, kill or capture her crew, and be over the horizon again so quickly?" he mutters to himself.

Tharione
2016-05-14, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately for Xat, everything appears to be in need of some measure of repair, but nothing is in immediate need to function.

It is definitively a cloud of fog, quite sizable considering how large it appears in the distance.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-14, 03:43 PM
Connak glares at the pirate flag atop the main mast. "We should strike the colors. Better to sail under no flag than that one." Walking to the forward rail of the quarterdeck Connak calls down. "There is nothing to be seen from down here. Maybe with some perspective we could set a course. Otherwise we will have to wait until nightfall and hope that the stars are familiar. In the meantime though I submit that we should follow the winds. Where are my manners? Forgive me. I am Connak of the Free Isles. I have been sailing these seas for the past several decades."

samduke
2016-05-14, 05:26 PM
Liana walks up on deck finishing off her apple, Observes the door near the bow and doors at the stern, she will walk to the stern doors and attempt to open them.

*If unlocked

enter and begin looking for anything like a sextant and map and anything that may have land coordinants
Search +4 [roll0]
Spot +4 [roll1]

if locked she will attempt every key on the key ring she has to see if it unlocks, *See If unlocked, otherwise she will see if Sam who picked his cage lock can open this.

Tharione
2016-05-14, 05:54 PM
The cabin doors are locked but the keys are enough to unlock and open them. Beyond the doors is a captains chamber with a fine desk, chair, and wardrobe as well as a bed with clean sheets. Set out on the desk are the tools of navigation: compass, sextant, charts, and maps as well as a small masterwork dagger. A chest lies against the back wall.

samduke
2016-05-14, 06:48 PM
The cabin doors are locked but the keys are enough to unlock and open them. Beyond the doors is a captains chamber with a fine desk, chair, and wardrobe as well as a bed with clean sheets. Set out on the desk are the tools of navigation: compass, sextant, charts, and maps as well as a small masterwork dagger. A chest lies against the back wall.

Liana will acquire the compass, sextant, charts and maps, then after searching in a desk drawer finding a key to the chest hidden in a false bottom, she will use the key to open the chest, then pocket the key

JNAProductions
2016-05-15, 10:19 AM
Johnathan comes up to the others, asking Is there anything I can do to help?

PallentisLunam
2016-05-15, 10:35 AM
Casting a wary eye at the fog cloud, the one that had formed on the open ocean in the middle of the day, Connak moves to the top of the stairs and slides his hands down the rails before kicking his legs out over the deck dropping down without touching a single step. As he walks past Johnathan he loops an arm around his shoulders and pulls him towards the forecastle. "Well that depends. What do you know about sailing? Or cannons? Or anything else for that matter? And what's your name? Where are you from?" Connak asks gesturing up at the rigging and to the weaponry before letting Johnathan go as he tries the forward door.

JNAProductions
2016-05-15, 10:38 AM
I'm a decent sailor-served on a military vessel for some decade or so. Military vessel, so I certainly know cannons. As for what else... I'm a man of philosophy, but I know the military of some time ago well. The name is Johnathan, and I hail from the ocean ever since I was reborn in it, he says, and raises a hand to belay an questions. I'll explain what I mean later. For now, let's focus on getting everything in order.

Andrezitos
2016-05-15, 02:03 PM
Better leave this tools on the table, nature lover. We will need them to do the navigation and here, in this cabin, it's the best place to do it.Says Boris in an heavy ascented common. Dspite his young age and physical exhaustion, he keeps his petulance.

samduke
2016-05-15, 05:21 PM
Liana realizes she has limited skill for these tools of navigation and leaves them on the desk for another to use

Tharione
2016-05-16, 05:37 PM
The best navigators among you take to the charts and tools of the trade, making a good guess of your position at sea using them and from the captains most recent log entries. Guessing somewhere around a hundred miles north of the Free Isles you chart a course for the nearest civilized port: Capricorn Bay, on the northmost of the free isles and set sail immediately.

The trip should take 2-3 days depending on if the wind is with you or not, given that you cannot sail 24 hours a day and maintain course.

JNAProductions
2016-05-16, 05:38 PM
Johnathan notes the time, and speaks to the others. I've been out of the loop for far too long-what are the Free Isles like nowadays?

PallentisLunam
2016-05-16, 08:40 PM
"Well you haven't missed a whole lot," Connak calls while poking around the powder magazine. "It's ruled by the merchant princes who enforce their golden rules, or rule as the case may be." Stepping back on deck and closing the door behind him, Connak walks over to the cannons and begins inspecting them very carefully, treating them as though they are loaded and charged, even in the absence of evidence to indicate such a condition.

samduke
2016-05-16, 09:46 PM
Liana will make her way towards the bow of the ship and starts to look for anything unusual, on the horizon, in the water, and keeping a weary eye on that fog cloud

*Edit 2 days of stuff
during her time with the others she will make a point to talk to each other person introducing herself, eat a little, feed the ferret, sleep when she can, then return to lookout on the bow of the ship and starts to look for anything unusual, on the horizon, in the water.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-16, 10:40 PM
Connak will spend the two days alternating between the duties of helmsman, navigator, lookout, and rigger, purely as needs require with no thought for the prestige or meanness of the task. He also proposes a system of nine hour shifts with two hour overlaps at the beginnings and ends, with the caveat that all hands can be summoned at any time to deal with a situation that threatens the safety of the ship. He works to ensure that a capable navigator is on duty at all times. He will spend any down time not on duty on deck cleaning and generally caring for the ship and her armaments as best he knows how. He will also take the liberty of doing like he thought and striking the pirate colors from the mast. If there are any materials available he will prepare, but not hoist, a distress flag (defaulting to plain white canvas but if there is some universal or local variant that would be a better signal he will try to make that). This flag would be stored on deck by the main mast and he will make everyone aware of its presence in the event that a friendly sail is sighted.

Connak goes below decks as little as possible, considering recent events, even going so far as to pitch a hammock on deck at night with a canvas sun-shield during the day. He begrudges no one access to his bed under the sky, recognizing that he is not the only one dealing with the trauma of captivity. If there is soap, or even something strong enough smelling, such as lemons or limes, on board he will offer to wash everyone's clothes and bedding. Finally, after confirming that there are no threats aboard ship, Connak will regularly forgo the wearing of the chain shirt or the rapier keeping only the dagger on him under normal circumstances as a tool rather than a weapon.

Connak is as friendly as he can be with his fellow shipmates but in between bouts of extreme talkativeness and gregariousness he will withdraw from the group to spend extended periods alone either working on a project or simply gazing out over the sea. He speaks occasionally of the crewmates he lost to the former owners of the Merchant Ray. It makes him very sad to do so and often proceeds one of his withdraws.

Tharione
2016-05-17, 03:06 PM
Captains log:

"Heading north after our resupply in Capricorn Bay. Once we hit the westerlies we can ride them to Viscan where our cargo can be sold... It has been unseasonably cold and the men are talking, having heard rumors in the port of a sighting of the devils fog near our course. Such myths have no place aboard a proper sailing vessel, If such a fog takes everyone who sees it who would ever be around to tell the tale? Nonsense. there'll be ten lashes to anyone who speaks of it until we make port."

"Heading from our most recent catch to Capricorn Bay, not likely to find a buyer for the livestock but the rest of the cargo should go well enough. Been too long at sea, some shore leave in that town should do us all some good."

"After the storm we took some damage, not pleased about being unable to sell off our cargo for so long. Going to be a month before even our next port where i might find a buyer."

PallentisLunam
2016-05-17, 03:47 PM
Reading over Boris' shoulder Connak muses to himself, "If we were the livestock, then I wonder what the captain considered cargo? I certainly don't see anything of great value aboard this hulk. We should check the ledger." Connak then proceeds to do just that, making a mental note to ask around about this so called "devil's fog" once in port. While not terribly superstitious himself, he cannot deny that something happened to the crew, and there had been that fog cloud.

Tharione
2016-05-17, 05:10 PM
2 days at sea pass in a blur, between crewing the merchant ray and meeting with your new crewmates along with the excitement of finally being free of those terrible cages. The weather provides you no interruptions nor boons. The wind varies between just enough and moderately from time to time in a western direction. Nothing to see all around but blue waters for 2 days.

Sunset draws near on the second day, and as it does the lookout on the forecastle (Liana) notes a speck of land on the horizon, directly ahead.

samduke
2016-05-17, 05:47 PM
on seeing what looks like land, Liana will go fetch the spyglass, come back and take a better look

Spot +4 [roll0] - not sure what bonus the spy glass would give, and with this can I tell about how close the land might be and any other features?

Tharione
2016-05-17, 05:55 PM
It takes getting a little closer to tell that it appears to be a small jungle island, no docks or lights are visible.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-17, 09:41 PM
Taking a close look at the island and the surrounding water Connak voices his opinion, "We have no great need for supplies and sundown is a terrible time to try and make berth. We're liable to run aground on some hidden reef, shoal, or sandbar. I say we either drop anchor and wait until morning or we ignore this place all together and continue searching for a true port."

samduke
2016-05-17, 09:53 PM
Liana discusses things with the others, How long will our current supply of fresh water and supplies last us? do we know about how many days sail it is to where ever?, I say unless we know we can get to where ever we drop anchor, wait for daylight then row ashore resupply and get more fresh water then continue on. and with that she returns the spyglass then if needed will assist in furling the sails to anchor for the night

JNAProductions
2016-05-17, 10:26 PM
Times like these I'm glad to be clockwork rather than flesh and blood. Agreed-we wait for dawn, then head ashore.

CozJa
2016-05-18, 01:31 AM
"That's a good plan... I'm sure the jungle's plants will be interesting to look at, and I would not like to disembark when not even I am able to see very well"

Andrezitos
2016-05-18, 08:46 AM
For Boris both options are good enough. He will pick Connak side tough. The last time he and his deceased old crew landed in an island pass dusk, things went sour pretty quickly.

Tharione
2016-05-18, 09:58 AM
The Merchant Ray pulls closer and is anchored off the coast of the island until morning.
In the morning, being much closer to the shore than when it was last accessed, various items of interest can be seen along the beach. Mainly a few nets, oars, and other light implements of seacraft, but most impressively: a small row boat can be seen pulled up onto the beach, something which the caravel the crew is currently on is lacking in entirely.

JNAProductions
2016-05-18, 12:04 PM
Think we might not be the first people here... Johnathan mutters, mostly to himself. Right-who's ready to head ashore?

samduke
2016-05-18, 02:07 PM
Liana walks to the armory where the bullets and power are kept, checks the bullets to see if they work for her pistol and grabs 6 bullets with enough powder for each.. then protects the powder from getting wet. liana removes her studded leather armor and stows it for now.
So no boat to go ashore means swimming which will make noise and depending on who brought that row boat to shore there could be a conflict. with that liana finds enough rope to drape over the side to climb down to the waters edge so as to not make extra noise by jumping into the water. Well shall we?

Climb +2 [roll0]
Swim +3 [roll1]

PallentisLunam
2016-05-18, 07:16 PM
"Hold on!" Connak says, "A boat that small is not sea worthy on its own. Which means one of two things, either there is a settlement of some type nearby or there is another ship in these waters. Either way, I say we hail the shore from here. If we all disembark we risk being marooned on some random island which for all we know is days away from the nearest trade lane."

samduke
2016-05-18, 08:55 PM
lets say you might be right about another boat, if we hail the shore from here it could bring the other boat and we are sorely undermanned for any sort of gun battle and certainly out numbered.
There is another possibility, this ship is lacking it's small boat and the crew our captors - it could be that is the boat with what ever remains of our captors.
any way you slice it,

no we have to swim ashore quietly determine what is there then make plans, if needs be we can leave a couple here to mind the ship.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-18, 09:31 PM
"Fine, but we should at least take precautions. Let's charge the cannons before going ashore. That way if we do run into trouble or an enemy vessel reveals itself we can at least be ready." Connak proceeds to do so, before donning his armor and weapons and then climbing down the rope and swimming towards shore.

Take ten on both athletics checks for 14.

Once ashore he mumbles something about salt rusting his armor. Connak will examine the beach first to try and determine how many individuals were in the row boat.

samduke
2016-05-19, 08:05 AM
Liana will swim to shore with connak

Climb +2 (1d20+2)[18]
Swim +3 (1d20+3)[20]

JNAProductions
2016-05-19, 09:07 AM
Johnathan leaps over the edge, letting the rope trail between his metallic hands and slowing his descent near the bottom. He looks down into the briny depths, and if he can see the bottom, simply lets himself drop and walks ashore. Otherwise, he swims ashore with the others.

This is basic stuff, no checks needed, right?

Tharione
2016-05-19, 09:22 AM
The swim (or walk) to shore is a simple one through clear waters. Reaching the shore leaves the party soaked but otherwise completely fine. Tiny sand crabs flee before your arrival. Examining the rowboat reveals it has been here for quite some time, it is lacking in contents and slightly sunken in the sand. Any footprints that once accompanied it are now gone.

The jungle at the edge of the beach is surprisingly dense with a few palms and heavy undergrowth.

JNAProductions
2016-05-19, 09:34 AM
Right-everyone stay close for a moment. I've a prayer to say-and for those you who don't put stock in the gods, at least put stock in me. It'll help, Johnathan says, then begins a brief prayer, spoken quietly.

Persisted Bless on everyone present. Using 7/8 Turn Undead uses to Persist it for free.

CozJa
2016-05-19, 09:44 AM
Sam, since all his companions seem so eager to leave the ship undefended, follows them, reaching the shore while Johnathan is starting his chant

PallentisLunam
2016-05-19, 11:05 AM
Connak collects the oars from the surrounding beach and places them quietly in the rowboat. "Take care. Something about this doesn't feel right," he says whispering, although even he is not quite sure why

Andrezitos
2016-05-19, 11:49 AM
Perhaps one of us should stay behind in case the crew needs ship support. Perhaps the fear that someone could come and take the boat out for a ride, leaving everyone stranded in this island, is reasonable enough. However, the prospect of staying alone while his comrades go in an adventure feels completely awkward and negative in Boris mind. He leaves the Merchant Ray behind and goes along the rest of the crew. Reaching the beach, the first thing that calls his attention is the way the vegetation looks - so pristine and with no clear signs of trail making. Can any of you find any signs to where the owners of this boat went ([roll0] *+7, not +2; perceptionj check)?

Tharione
2016-05-19, 12:48 PM
Boris detects nothing new.

samduke
2016-05-19, 01:38 PM
well this island is small enough to not be on the chart/map maybe a couple of us could scout around the waters edge determine the size of this island, while the rest of us see if that pointing at the rowboat will hold together in water, and see about felling a tree to make ship repairs with.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-19, 03:42 PM
Connak carefully examines the rowboat to make sure that it is still sound, it would be quite the predicament to get it out to sea only to discover that it was missing its bung or had a warped board. At Liana's suggestion he scratches his head, "The damage to the ship is purely cosmetic. Wouldn't it make better sense to put into a true port where we can purchase supplies and hire crew members than waste time out here patching minor scratches?"

Tharione
2016-05-19, 03:53 PM
The rowboat is in fine condition, the oars picked up from the beach are less so, being half rotted and one snapped in half, and probably not even from this rowboat given the difference in their conditions.

JNAProductions
2016-05-19, 07:31 PM
Let's leave the row boat alone for now. We don't know if its owners are among the living.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-19, 09:22 PM
Connak nods, "Let's go slow and quiet." He creeps to the treeline and peers into the jungle, preferably from behind a large tree. He is hoping to see some sort of trail or man made object anything to indicate the passage of the rowboats occupants.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Tharione
2016-05-19, 09:39 PM
Connak sees the glint of gold from midair about 80' ahead into the jungle.

samduke
2016-05-19, 10:55 PM
liana cautiously follows Connak

CozJa
2016-05-20, 01:35 AM
And Sam cautiously follows Liana, with his sword in hand

PallentisLunam
2016-05-20, 09:28 AM
Glancing over his shoulder Connak sees Liana and Sam. He makes sure they also spot the glimmer of gold. Getting Johnathan and Boris' attention he motions for them to hold the beach. Then drawing his rapier Connak will slink quietly into the forest. Watching carefully for traps he will circle clockwise towards the bit of gold, stopping about ten feet away for a closer look.

Tharione
2016-05-20, 09:41 AM
It appears to be a single Holy empire gold piece hanging from a palm frond by a thin piece of crude twine.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-20, 09:44 AM
Connak carefully examines the ground underneath and around it, expecting a trap of some sort, probably a net or a pit.

Tharione
2016-05-20, 09:57 AM
He locates nothing out of the ordinary.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-20, 11:05 AM
A thought occurs to him and Connak looks up into the trees, still searching for the trap that he is certain must be waiting for the first person to approach or touch this coin.

Andrezitos
2016-05-20, 12:24 PM
Boris stays quiet and absorbed by the tension of seeing trio comrades entering the forest, weapons in hands.

JNAProductions
2016-05-20, 01:49 PM
Johnathan, knowing he lacks sneaking skills, stays back, keeping a close eye on his companions. He whispers quietly, mostly to himself, Stay safe.

Tharione
2016-05-20, 02:29 PM
Connak can locate no trap above him either.

samduke
2016-05-20, 04:54 PM
Well I think its a trap as well, Liana takes the time needed to charge her pistol to be fired, then looks about for where this coin is tied off to, suspecting a tree or the like

spot +4 [roll0]
search+4 [roll1]

Tharione
2016-05-20, 05:02 PM
The coin is hanging from the frond of a palm tree, at about chest height for a medium creature.

samduke
2016-05-20, 09:22 PM
so don't get close to that just yet..
Liana goes searching for a sapling about 10-15 ft long that can be cut down, hey one of you with a sharp weapon cut this down..

use rope+2 [roll0]
attach a dagger or other sharp weapon to the sapling
use the improvised device to cut down the coin

Tharione
2016-05-20, 09:50 PM
After some trial the coin is cut from the string, it falls into the underbrush and is no longer visible.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-20, 09:52 PM
Connak will approach the fallen coin. Using his dagger he will pick the coin up by the string and examine it.

Tharione
2016-05-20, 10:02 PM
It is a gold coin with a symbolic sun on one side and a profile engraving of the divine emperor on the other. it has a small hole crudely poked into the top so that a string may be looped through and tied to hold it. From here Connak can see the glint of another coin nailed to a palm deeper into the jungle.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-20, 10:13 PM
"Breadcrumbs," Connak whispers pointing out the next coin to Sam and Liana.

CozJa
2016-05-21, 02:17 AM
"Seems so... and not of the kind I'd use in my recipes..." The Half-Elf looks toward the other coint
"Well, I think we should go... whoever left this trail may be in need of assistance, and if it wanted to trap us... well, I don't think we have many other choices..."

samduke
2016-05-21, 08:00 AM
okay guys if were going to go to that following this trail of sorts I think it wise to leave an established trail back so we can find our own way back

JNAProductions
2016-05-21, 09:15 AM
Johnathan continues to wait back at the beach.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-21, 09:43 AM
Connak takes off his bright blue skull cap and hangs it from the same tree that the coin was hanging from, "That should do, don't you think?"

Then still maintaining a great deal of care and stealth Connak will repeat his process for approaching the next coin. Circle around, check high and low for traps, then try to spot the next marker while also keeping his senses tuned to the sights and sounds of the jungle just in case something changes or the trio of explorers starts to come up on whoever it was that left this trail.

Tharione
2016-05-21, 10:37 AM
3 march off into the jungle following the trail of gold while 2 wait on the beach.

The coins proceed in a particular manner with the next situated so it can only be seen from the position of the previous. Following them leads deeper into the jungle, through rough undergrowth and where the trees cease to be just palms but also actual trees. The signs and sounds of bird and insect life are quite apparent around you, but anything larger remains to be seen.

The trail continues for some minutes, leaving you out of sight of the beach, before reaching what appears to be a volcanic stone wall. Carved long ago and now overgrown with vines and mosses. There is a crack in the wall large enough for a medium creature to squeeze through and a gold coin wedged in the wall above it.

The rhythmic crashing of the waves on the shore is very soothing. Shortly after the noise made by the party entering the jungle dies down you can hear the same sounds coming closer again.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-21, 11:05 AM
Connak will clear the vines from a section of stone as high as he can reach, to get a better look at the carvings. "Do either of you have a torch or something? Sam can you do that trick with the lights like you did in the hold?"

samduke
2016-05-21, 12:07 PM
I have a spell that can light the way but it will only last a short while, it may be better to create a torch that could last hours
liana looks around for a suitable branch to turn into a torch, then looks around for some dry leaves to wrap it in that could burn, then will attempt to start a fire via rubbing wood together method to lite the torch and if that fails there is another way with the powder she has for her pistol as a last resort

Tharione
2016-05-21, 12:19 PM
Liana can craft a simple torch given her survival skills.

The carvings are more of a general geometric style to the wall rather than any sort of symbols or pictographs parallel grooves are most common.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-21, 12:45 PM
"Huh, well it's clear that this place was inhabited at some point, might still be. We should get a closer look at this cave." Connak walks over to the crack and peers inside cautiously from a shallow angle being careful not to cast a shadow past the wall.

Low-Light Vision, if that matters.

Tharione
2016-05-21, 01:02 PM
The crack seems to lead past the wall into a courtyard of sorts, surrounded with similar walls and with lighter underbrush than this side and no trees.

CozJa
2016-05-21, 01:43 PM
While Liana prepares the torch, Sam gets nearer to Connak, while looking around to see if someone, or something else comes out from the jungle...

"I have some other trick, if you need it, but for now I would very much prefer to know what is this place..."

Andrezitos
2016-05-21, 04:00 PM
boris will take a walk. he will follow the beach line for half an hour. anything useful or intresting will call his attention. the fact that the sound started again dont make him worry. the rest of the crew should be comming back, boris wonders.

samduke
2016-05-21, 04:00 PM
once liana has the torch lit she will continue to cautiously follow Connak

PallentisLunam
2016-05-21, 08:28 PM
"You and me both," Connak says to Sam. "Hold that thought."

Connak shimmies up a nearby tree to peek over the wall.

Tharione
2016-05-21, 08:43 PM
Connak reaches a high enough point in the tree to peer over the stone wall into the courtyard. The wall itself is about 3 feet thick and made of black volcanic stone, surrounding a 50' square courtyard now overgrown with small ferns, grasses, and very small shrubs. It appears to be part of a larger complex with archways leading to the left, right, and forward (with back being the wall with the large crack), from this angle it is difficult to see what is beyond aside from the tops of similar walls.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-21, 09:04 PM
Sliding back down the tree, Connak says, "Looks big. And maze-like. The crack opens into a court yard which leads off in three other directions." Connak chops a palm frond off of a nearby tree and splits it down the segments. Collecting some sap Connak turns to the other two, "We'll use these to mark our path. Ready to go?"

samduke
2016-05-21, 09:58 PM
Liana looks the situation over so you would have us climb up there over the wall then into some unknown with no plans onhow to get back over this wall and how well will that sap work for marking our path once in there? looks at the crack in the wall... I want to try something stand back please..

(knowledge nature +6 [roll0] - would this tell what type of black volcanic stone?
if I hit it 2 handed [roll1], confirm crit [roll2], can I do enough damage [roll3], to take a chunk or 2 out near the crack?
then presuming a chunk large enough to hold like chalk size, will it mark/mar the surface?

Tharione
2016-05-21, 10:11 PM
The stone is basalt and striking it with all your might can slightly chip it. alternatively to climbing over: the crack is wide enough for medium creatures to squeeze through, both directions.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-21, 10:17 PM
"I intended to go through this rather large hole in the wall instead of climbing it. And I had sort of relied on doing it quietly," Connak says with a rather annoyed look on his face. "But now that the whole island knows we're here why don't we just give it a few moments to see if anybody comes to check that racket."

samduke
2016-05-21, 11:32 PM
well if any do from that side of the wall they will be at a disadvantage due to that crack I would think.
liana picks up the shard of basalt

CozJa
2016-05-22, 03:33 AM
"Uhm... if we can take a rope with us, I believe we would be safer... anyway, let me take a look, I want to see what wass built there"

The half-elf looks at the courtyard, trying to see if he catches some familiar pattern

Knowledge (Architecture&Engineering) [roll0]

Tharione
2016-05-22, 10:01 AM
Nothing overly familiar about it, the walls were carved from single slabs rather than put together as masonry.

JNAProductions
2016-05-22, 11:29 AM
Johnathan, seeing his companions vanish deeper into the jungle, decides to wait in the sea, heading off the shore till he's submerged chest-deep, but staying near the landing.

Tharione
2016-05-22, 11:56 AM
Boris does not get far before the noises break the jungle line onto the beach behind him. 3 Gray skinned humanoids with tattered remnants of seafaring clothes and grievous wounds wander sluggishly onto the beach.

JNAProductions
2016-05-22, 12:03 PM
Who are you? Johnathan calls out to the gray-skinned humanoids.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-22, 09:59 PM
With a noncommittal grunt Connak gestures for the party to move away from the hole into the dense underbrush nearby.

After a few minutes of careful listening, if the coast remains clear, Connak will approach and attempt to squeeze through the crack into the complex. From there he will pause, finding whatever cover he can, and examine what is beyond each archway.

Andrezitos
2016-05-23, 08:22 AM
Boris, depending on the looks of these guys, will switch between drawing his weapon or voice his doubts about what they are, in the same way Jonathan did.

Tharione
2016-05-23, 09:31 AM
The figures look up suddenly at the greeting and shuffle slowly but with purpose toward the source of the closer of the two of you present (Johnathan) arriving at the edge of the surf that the warforged is half submerged in.

Initiative order:
Boris (100 feet from nearest foe)
figures
John (20 feet from nearest foe)

Connak and the other two party members squeeze into the courtyard. The forward archway leads up a set of steep stone stairs, somewhat overgrown, between two walls toward a raised stone structure. The left passage is blocked by rubble beyond 20 feet. The right passage leads to another, smaller overgrown area, although some sort of large, central stone item is present though difficult to make out at this distance due to being covered in vegetation.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-23, 12:05 PM
Looking at his fellows Connak whispers, "Give a whistle if you find something. I'm going to go check out that stone altar."

He proceeds to do just that, sticking to what vegetation is present and circling counter-clockwise around the edge of the courtyard. He will approach the stone carefully, still wary of traps but no longer concerned that the former occupants of the rowboat left them. What is this place? The last remnant of a dead civilization maybe? Did those sailors come here looking for it, or did they stumble upon it by accident? Pondering these questions Connak will stop at a respectful distance and take a closer look at the stone, doing his best not to disturb the site until he has a better understanding of what exactly he is looking at.

5 ft. away seems good enough. He will circle the whole object if there is space to do so. He will also look around the area to see if the stone was a center piece in a larger setting, checking for carvings on the floor and walls or anything else distinctive.

Tharione
2016-05-23, 12:34 PM
The stone appears to have been a fountain, now only partially filled with stagnant algae choked rainwater. A Large stone basin rests about 2 feet high with a central medium statue rising up to about 7 feet above the ground. The statue is obscured partially with mosses and molds but appears to be humanoid.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-23, 12:37 PM
Connak reaches out with his rapier to gently scrape the moss and lichen from the statue's face.

Tharione
2016-05-23, 12:55 PM
The face is human-esque but has an otherworldly quality to it that inclines you to believe it is not made in the image of any normal human.

samduke
2016-05-23, 02:15 PM
well find anything interesting about that object?

JNAProductions
2016-05-23, 02:17 PM
I know it's not my turn yet, just roleplay here.

Johnathan readies himself for defense, but tries to look as non-threatening as possible.

Andrezitos
2016-05-23, 02:32 PM
Seeing the threatening pose of the gray guys, Boris moves as quickly as possible over the sandy terrain. While moving (30 fts), he draws his pistol from his belt, already loaded and ready to fire, pulls the hammer, and shoots at one of the assailants ([roll0][roll1]; not accounting for range increments). In doing so, he hopes to wound someone and alert the rest of the crew that went into the jungle.

Tharione
2016-05-23, 02:40 PM
The gunshot rings loudly and penetrates one of the figures and embeds itself in the sand with a small splash. The struck figure doesn't seem to notice having been hit in the least. The three wounded men wander slowly into the surf toward the warforged. Surrounding him on three sides.

A gunshot rings out from somewhere distant.

JNAProductions
2016-05-23, 02:53 PM
They haven't attacked yet! What are you doing? Johnathan says, but his voice shows that he might be in agreement with Boris.

Total Defense action. That's a thing, right?

samduke
2016-05-23, 05:15 PM
on hearing the gunshot liana with torch in hand turns to leave back towards the beach
That sound was a shot, I'm betting the rest of the group is in trouble

double move 60ft to and through the wall following the trail back towards the beach

PallentisLunam
2016-05-23, 07:20 PM
"Not particularly," Connak says. "It-" Connak's head snaps around in the direction of the shot. "Let's go!"

Connak will race back through the jungle with Liana. When he spots his skull cap he will grab her wrist. "Wait! We need to analyse the situation before running in."

CozJa
2016-05-24, 01:07 AM
Sam was looking at the place, trying to understand who, or what, worked on it, when the sound of a gunshot reached the three !Damn! I knew this place was to be left alone!"
He says, then sprints besides Liana and Connak

Tharione
2016-05-25, 07:17 PM
Boris double moves toward the action before the wounded figures try to assault the warforged with wild swings of their limbs.

partial submersion level gives +4 to AC from cover, +4 to AC from total defense
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3] to confirm crit if needed
[roll4] fortification for crit if needed

if hit:
[roll5] damage 1
[roll6] damage 2
[roll7] damage 3

samduke
2016-05-26, 07:45 AM
Liana will continue to double move towards the beach

JNAProductions
2016-05-26, 10:40 AM
They're definitely not peaceful, Johnathan says, still weaving and bobbing to avoid their wildly swinging arms. He knows it's only a matter of time before his companions arrive, and is determined to keep their attention WITHOUT dying until then.

Total Defense again.

Tharione
2016-05-30, 09:47 AM
Boris moves into the water to slash at the figures who continue their artless flailing of limbs trying to strike the well defended warforged.

+4 AC due to water based cover

[roll0]
[roll1] damage

+4 total defense +4 cover

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8] confirm if needed
[roll9] fortification, <25 fails

samduke
2016-05-30, 10:10 AM
Liana continues to double move towards the beach

endurance check if needed
[roll0]

JNAProductions
2016-05-30, 05:39 PM
John decides discretion is the better part of valor, and chooses to withdraw deeper into the ocean.

Withdraw action, I guess? That means I don't take AoOs, correct? And head 30' deeper into the sea.

Tharione
2016-05-30, 08:29 PM
+4 AC from cover

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Johnathan takes a bit of a clubbing but vanishes beneath the waves, treading along the soft sandy bottom.

Tharione
2016-05-30, 08:33 PM
Boris attempts to unleash a blazing slash of his scimitar on the target closest to him...

+4 AC cover

[roll0]

[roll1]

...but a wave splashes against the blade and foils the attack. All three figures attempt to follow Johnathan, but are not heavy enough to sink nor capable of making any sort of coordinated movement needed to swim, and so float overhead and flail about.

samduke
2016-05-30, 10:31 PM
Liana continues to double move towards the beach

endurance check if needed
[roll0]

Tharione
2016-05-31, 08:35 AM
The motion of the tide begins to take the figures out to sea as they flail about helplessly.

initiative order ends

Those running through the jungle toward the beach burst out from the thick underbrush into the daylight of the beach not far away. Boris has waded waist deep into the surf and Johnathan is nowhere to be seen.

PallentisLunam
2016-05-31, 08:40 AM
Connak snatches his skullcap as they sprint by and pulls it on. Upon reaching it he will slow down and allow Liana to make the beach well ahead of him. He draws his weapons and takes careful stock of the situation before exiting the jungle.

"What happened?!" he calls to Boris.

CozJa
2016-05-31, 09:22 AM
Sam looks around perplexed, noticing that something, or someone, is amiss.
"Where's the talking golem?"

JNAProductions
2016-05-31, 02:51 PM
Johnathan rises from the depths, looking weary and injured. I retreated to the safety of the ocean. It appears to have taken care of those assailants quite nicely.

Andrezitos
2016-05-31, 02:52 PM
These three things came out the jungle and started attacking. Come closer and see it for yourself. Boris shouts back.

Should we actually fight, I mean roll the dices, with these guys? They seems to be not a match for us.

samduke
2016-05-31, 04:43 PM
liana goes to see what boris is talking about.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-01, 12:53 AM
Connak rushes to help Jonathan. "Are you alright?" he asks looking aghast at the damage wrought against the metal man. "Do we need to get you back to the ship?"

JNAProductions
2016-06-01, 10:23 AM
I'll be fine-though if we do explore further, I'd like to stay firmly in the middle, he says with a wry smile.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-01, 10:26 AM
Connak chuckles, "Fair enough." Then a thought occurs to him, "So, umm, do your people heal naturally or do we need to get you to a... blacksmith?"

JNAProductions
2016-06-01, 10:27 AM
I'll recover in time, though I have magic to speed the process. I'll be saving that, though, in case one of you gets hurt, he says.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-01, 10:37 AM
Connak nods, "Alright then. Before the shot rang out, we found something in the jungle, a complex of some sort, apparently belonging to an ancient civilization. We had just started to explore it when we had to come racing back here. My suspicion is that the original owners of this boat came here for it, possibly to loot and pillage. They left a trail of breadcrumbs leading from the beach to the site. If you're able I'd like us all to go back and take a closer look, it seems that splitting up may have been a poor choice."

JNAProductions
2016-06-01, 10:39 AM
Very well-let's go, Johnathan says, finding a good spot in the middle of the group for the marching order.

samduke
2016-06-01, 11:41 AM
liana will walk in the middle with Johnathan

CozJa
2016-06-01, 01:12 PM
Sam stops for a moment, when a unpleasurable idea arise into his minde"Uhm.. I was thinking... there's a boat that doesn't look like it was left there for too much time... a strange temple, gold that nobody have touched... and what... strange undead monsters? What if they were the precedent occupants of the boat?"

He follows the trails of his companions, adding;

"Maybe they said: 'come on, let's go together in the jungle!' 'It will be safer if we stay together!' or similar things..."

PallentisLunam
2016-06-01, 02:02 PM
"Aye they may have said such things," Connak agrees. "But, it's likely that they also said things such as 'let's take all of this plunder for ourselves' and 'it's just sitting there unguarded, nothing can possibly go wrong!' If we avoid such foolishness maybe we can find something they did not. I say we go have a look, but I am just one elf. We should have a vote. All in favor of exploring the jungle site?"

samduke
2016-06-01, 03:48 PM
on hearing this bit about a vote, goes and gathers 1 stone for each person draws a circle in the sand of the beach
handing 1 stone to each party member, ok vote stone in circle explore the jungle stone out leave this place.
liana tosses her stone - there the die is cast I have voted.

1d100 50 or lower it lands out 51 or higher it lands in
[roll0]

PallentisLunam
2016-06-01, 03:52 PM
Connak looks quizzically at his stone, then at Liana, then back at his stone. "Are the five of us not capable of forming and voicing our own opinions without resorting to such gimmicks?"

Andrezitos
2016-06-01, 04:20 PM
Boris takes some time to investigate the bodies before leaving the beach, into the jungle. (search; take ten).

CozJa
2016-06-01, 04:38 PM
"There may be wisdom in what you say Connak." answers Sam.

When Liana starts preparing the circle and giving stones to them, he looks puzzled at her. Even more so when she explains the idea.
After Connak voice his concern, the Half-elf answers to him.
"Who cares? I like throwing things... in the end we'll do what we want anyway!"

and throws the rock

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2016-06-01, 08:42 PM
I will wait and see where to place my stone.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-01, 08:44 PM
Connak walks over to the circle. Reaches his arm out so that it is over the line, and lets go.

Tharione
2016-06-02, 07:50 AM
Boris takes some time to investigate the bodies before leaving the beach, into the jungle. (search; take ten).

Unfortunately this would require swimming out to sea and be interrupted by continual attacking. Fortunately, they didn't look to be carrying anything of value.

the stones say 3 to 0 currently. seems the decision is made.

samduke
2016-06-02, 08:56 AM
on the outcome of the vote - liana will walk in the middle with Johnathan

JNAProductions
2016-06-02, 12:24 PM
Johnathan tosses his stone aside, seeing the vote already made. I'll pray for our safety, he says, bowing his head and speaking quietly for safety and well-being.

Tharione
2016-06-03, 08:53 AM
With the plan set the party sets forth once more into the jungle, following the path of gold back to the great wall of basalt and the crack leading inside.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-03, 01:29 PM
Connak will cautiously approach the stairs immediately opposite the crack being careful to check high and low for booby traps.

JNAProductions
2016-06-03, 01:31 PM
Johnathan watches carefully, looking carefully for any booby traps.

Spot check! [roll0]

I'm helping! :P

samduke
2016-06-03, 05:07 PM
Liana will carefully look around , ceiling, walls, floor ect..

spot: [roll0]

Tharione
2016-06-03, 11:41 PM
The party files in and carefully searches for traps, finding nothing new before the loud crash of a stone snapping branches and striking earth occurs from behind them. A chunk of native stone has blocked the other side of the crack in the wall.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-04, 12:06 AM
Connak curses and runs back towards the now sealed opening. He strains fruitlessly against the stone for a few seconds before turning back to the others. "That's not good..."

JNAProductions
2016-06-04, 12:08 AM
We find another exit. There has to be one, Johnathan says.

Andrezitos
2016-06-04, 07:52 AM
No turning back then. Boris mutters to himself.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-04, 10:17 AM
Connak nods, "Then we press forward, with care."

The elf quietly climbs the stairs and peers into the chamber beyond the archway.

CozJa
2016-06-04, 10:23 AM
"We are clearly going to be successful" Says Sam with a snarky tone, while taking again his scimitar.

Tharione
2016-06-04, 10:38 AM
Before Connak can reach the top of the stairs a creaking is heard briefly before a heavy log falls from behind a wall and begins rolling down the stairs toward him and the courtyard.

The log is slow enough that by retreating down the stairs and moving out of its path it can be avoided entirely.
if not: Reflex save please.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-04, 10:53 AM
When the log drops Connak immediately sprints forward and leaps like a gazelle, easily clearing the hurdle.

JNAProductions
2016-06-04, 10:53 AM
Johnathan steps down the stairs and just around the corner-not wishing to be injured any more than he is already.

CozJa
2016-06-04, 11:26 AM
Hearing the ruckus, and seeing Connak's aerial evolutions, Sam steps down from the stairs, thinking it safer to wait.

"Connak, you're fine?" He shouts after the log passes them

samduke
2016-06-04, 02:32 PM
The log is slow enough that by retreating down the stairs and moving out of its path it can be avoided entirely.
if not: Reflex save please.

Well having RL exp with logs rolling down hills/stairs its slow at first but gains speed fairly fast..

Liana looks at the rolling log

Knowledge nature +6 [roll0] anything nearby that can be used to stop it?
Move action: RUN at the log (120ft/round) log is more than 20ft away
High Jump check +2 [roll1] to jump over the rolling log <edit nat 20 - should clear 5ft high & 20 ft long & clear the log>
and if that fails
reflex check +2 [roll2]

PallentisLunam
2016-06-04, 03:17 PM
"Perfectly," Connak calls back "Only my pride was injured by falling for such an obvious trap."

Tharione
2016-06-04, 03:31 PM
Well having RL exp with logs rolling down hills/stairs its slow at first but gains speed fairly fast..

As do most things rolling downhill yes. So regardless it is slow enough that you can react.

Liara and Connak leap the log and wind up near the top of the stairs. The others are safely out of its way when it collides with the pillars of the archway and stops. Blocking the archway but not effectively as most anyone could climb or jump over the log.

Both notice a small apelike creatures crawl atop the courtyard wall from the outside. Adorned in a crude loincloth with simple camouflage paint. It retrieves a Bow and slings an arrow.

Boris and Liana may act in the surprise round (one standard action)
[roll0] Liana initiative
[roll1] Boris initiative
[roll2] ?? init

Boris notices a second one on the opposite side of the area, doing the same.
[roll3] ?? init

Andrezitos
2016-06-04, 04:52 PM
Question: some of my maneuvers are swift action and I would like to know if I can use those with a standard action instead. I find the idea of characters using their fastest abilities with the same degree of velocity of normal ones more realistic and strategically sound. I will not complain, tough, if you say to keep using standard rules.
If the second apelike creature, the one that seems to be hiding from the party, is close enough (30ft or less), Boris will conjure a small blazing human like figure (small fire elemental; distracting ember) at its side, hoping to draw the creature's attention to the elemental, and the awareness of the others to the creature too. If not, he will draw his pistol and open fire while muttering "Always shot first".
[roll0][roll1]

Distracting Ember (http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/distracting-ember)
Burning Blade
Blistering Flourish
Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Moment of Perfect Mind
Flame's Blessing (stance)

samduke
2016-06-04, 06:29 PM
Liana surprise round

draw pistol
Aim at the apelike creature that she noticed
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
remaining actions : Reload

Tharione
2016-06-04, 07:17 PM
remember you have +1 morale bonus to attack rolls all day from persistent bless.

Gunshots ring out and whiz past their intended targets upon the high walls, apelike small sized creatures with bows in their hands. A flaming creature flickers into existence and vanishes shortly after adjacent to the one fired upon by Boris. The creatures screech and hoot before launching retaliatory missiles from their bows at the offenders below.

Up ahead, two more of the same fire from the wall above the stairwell. The path of their arrows giving away their previously unknown positions.

[roll0] v Connak FF
[roll1] v Boris
[roll2] v Liana (one fired upon)
[roll3] v Liana (one up ahead)

[roll4] C damage
[roll5] B damage
[roll6] L damage 1
[roll7] L damage 2

[roll8] in case of critical hit confirmation needed. x3 damage if 14 hits lianas AC

A new round begins.

21: Boris
15: Liana
12: Foe
11: Foe
11: Foe
9: Foe
8: Connak
7: Sam
3: John

initiative rolls:
[roll9] Connak
[roll10] Sam
[roll11] John

samduke
2016-06-04, 07:55 PM
Liana

EDITED
HP: 1/8
Spot +4 [roll0] to see if there is an easy way up to the ape like creatures and at least partial cover from 1 or more of their arrows.
Take total cover, and cast cure light wounds.

Shoot at the sam ape like creature again
Attack: [roll1] with bless
confirm crit: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

JNAProductions
2016-06-04, 08:16 PM
John readies a spell to cure anyone who falls in combat.

Action: Cure wounds [roll0] on anyone who drops. Otherwise, stay back and do Total Defense.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-04, 08:31 PM
Connak clamps his hand over his ears at Liana's shot. "Cease Fire! Hold your fire! Let's get under cover!" Connak yells pointing at the stone structure behind him.

Tharione stop rolling for me :smallannoyed: That's two ones in a row! :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

Andrezitos
2016-06-04, 11:49 PM
Boris fallows the Connacks advice and moves to where the ape like creatures could not hit him easily. Then he opens fire with his pistol.
[roll0][roll1]

CozJa
2016-06-05, 02:06 AM
Sam runs as fast as he can, to reach Connak an Liana where they are holding position.
"You know how many of them?" He asks.

Sam will use all his turn to move and reach Connak and Liana!

Edited

Tharione
2016-06-05, 07:17 AM
Boris fallows the Connacks advice and moves to where the ape like creatures could not hit him easily. Then he opens fire with his pistol.
[roll0][roll1]

At what point did he reload? you can reload this round and save those 2 rolls for next round though.

Sam runs as fast as he can, to reach Connak an Liana where they are holding position.
"You know how many of them?" He asks.

Then, after one of his companions gives him away the position, Sam ducks out of cover and concentrate on the power of his mark; immediately, wind comes out of his hands, covering all the place, and directed toward the most numerous enemies, giving his companions the time to concentrate on the others

Move action (40ft) to reach the others, then casting gust of wind giving penalty on rolls to the most creatures possible (I'm not sure how they are placed, so feel free to direct it for me! :smallsmile:

There is a log in the way that will require a jump check without a running start to clear or 4 squares of movement, the stairs cost 2 squares of movement when going up. So you cannot reach them with one move action. You can gust of wind either of the forward ones after moving or either of the courtyard ones before/without moving. but not more than one in any case

PallentisLunam
2016-06-05, 09:34 AM
Connak draws his rapier and moves to a covered position while shouting "Stop shooting damn it!" Once hunkered down Connak keeps his eyes wide open for incoming arrows.

30 ft move to the spot that provides the most cover against the most enemies.

Free Action as part of that move to draw one weapon.

Standard Action to take Total Defense.

Andrezitos
2016-06-06, 06:10 AM
Boris reloads his weapon and draws closer to the foes, back to the wall and looking for cover.

Tharione
2016-06-06, 09:30 AM
Most of the group retreats to cover as they can. Liana and Boris finding favorable places before the next volley of arrows.

[roll0] vs connak (FF)
[roll1] vs sam (FF)
[roll2] vs Johnathan (FF)
[roll3] vs sam (FF)

[roll4] to confirm if needed

damages
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

The creatures seem to favor the targets not yet with the protection of stone walls for their arrows.

samduke
2016-06-06, 09:40 AM
round 2 actions
liana will cast cure minor wounds on herself healing for 1, (HP5/8)

JNAProductions
2016-06-06, 02:12 PM
Johnathan finds a spot to hug the walls, following the same plan as last time.

Total Defense or CLW on a downed friend.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-06, 04:08 PM
Checking carefully for incoming arrows, Connak darts towards the open air stone hut stopping just outside it to the left of the archway. Pressing up against the sunwarmed stone he takes a brief peek inside and tries to process what he saw while going back to tracking the four assailants.

15 ft. move. Total Defense. (I need a ranged weapon. Although I still wouldn't be using it here)

Tharione
2016-06-07, 01:14 PM
Boris fires upon one of the critters, wounding it significantly. It howls in pain and the others screech in angry sympathy. They each loose an arrow down on a target before climbing behind their respective walls to total cover.

[roll0] vs connak (+4 cover, +4 total defense)
[roll1] vs John (+4 cover, +4 total defense)
[roll2] vs Sam
[roll3] vs Boris (+4 cover)

[roll4] confirm crit if needed.

damages
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

A tense silence falls over the jungle.

Initiative is dissolved.

JNAProductions
2016-06-07, 01:28 PM
Do you understand us? Johnathan calls out. Could we reach a peace?

PallentisLunam
2016-06-07, 01:38 PM
"They might not even have been hostile before they were attacked," Connak grumbles almost to himself while checking the central structure.

CozJa
2016-06-07, 01:59 PM
"I wasn't paying attention, but didn't they attacked us first? Or do you believe the log just... fell down?"
Sam says, reaching the structure and checking it with Connak

Tharione
2016-06-07, 02:01 PM
Set on a 50' square plateau of smooth basalt: it is a squat, 30' by 30' basalt structure with 5 foot thick walls. It has an actual ceiling and is engraved with more than just simple lines. IT has no door only an open 10' wide doorway. the only source of light inside is the light that makes it through both the jungle canopy and the doorway.

Behind the structure is another archway, leading down steep steps to a flat area below. All that can be seen of the area from here is bare earth.

Inside the structure walls are engraved with scenes depicting humanoid figures being offered to and devoured by Draconic figures, a giant humanoid figure surrounded by rays of light, and a mountain range. The floor has false tiles carved into it. Inset into the back wall, between a dragon and the giant of light is a deeply set circular recess, about 6 inches in diameter with 6 pointed recesses branching off from the center, looking much like an absent, stylized sun.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-07, 05:07 PM
Looking down the shaft Connak notes all of the intricate detail work put into this place, It probably has some religious significance, and those who came here in the boat likely stole whatever went in that hollow.

Glancing at the others Connak nods towards the base of the stairs, "At least they can't shoot at us down there."

CozJa
2016-06-07, 05:48 PM
The half-elf looks at the figures on the wall, and cheks the whole structure, considering how old it may be

samduke
2016-06-07, 06:58 PM
liana will withdraw, total defense to Connak's position, okay got any good ideas here?

Tharione
2016-06-07, 08:35 PM
The half-elf looks at the figures on the wall, and checks the whole structure, considering how old it may be

It is beyond his expertise to determine the structures precise age but given the surrounding trees it must be at least fifty years old. Likely far older.

Andrezitos
2016-06-07, 09:34 PM
Boris moves closser to connak. No shooting this time so he just reload and be wacthful.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-08, 11:10 PM
Connak creeps carefully down the stairs, eyes peeled for danger.

Whoops :smallbiggrin: got distracted today.

JNAProductions
2016-06-08, 11:11 PM
Johnathan stands still, not wanting to make noise.

samduke
2016-06-08, 11:34 PM
Liana will follow behind Connak

Tharione
2016-06-09, 10:30 AM
All but Johnathan proceed cautiously down the steep, basalt stairway. At the base is another wall enclosed area, this time bare of vegetation as the earth is packed tightly. A section of the left wall has split and fallen due to a tree growing on the other side, unfortunately the tree mostly blocks the gap. Short, unlit torches are stuck into the ground around the area and in the center is a large fire pit surrounded by various chunks of stone and containing mostly blackened ash. Beyond the fire area is a thick basalt pillar, about twenty feet tall, with a simple hut of wood, bone, and hide. The hut is decorated with gold coins and vibrant paints. In the branches high above the area are similar, but less decorated, huts and many hundreds of feet of rope stretched about between the trees as well as dangling from branches.

Bound tightly in rope and hanging from a tree is what appears to be a human wearing contemporary, if foreign, clothing. He is unconscious and about twenty feet off of the ground.

JNAProductions
2016-06-09, 12:15 PM
Johnathan, seeing the group not taking stealthy action, jogs a little to catch up and then resumes his place in the middle of the group. When he sees the man, he asks the others Should we cut him down?

CozJa
2016-06-09, 01:12 PM
"I'd say it's a bit late to turn back on the ship no? Besides, what can else can happen? Ape-men trying to pierce our skulls again?

Somebody cut the rope, and maybe we can take him, ok Johnathan?" Says Sam, approahing the hanged man

JNAProductions
2016-06-09, 01:14 PM
Johnathan nods. I'd be worried about offending the residents, but they've proven themselves quite hostile.

Andrezitos
2016-06-09, 03:23 PM
Boris nods in agreement regarding the tied man. He will do the job if no one else want.

JNAProductions
2016-06-10, 02:45 PM
I have no cutting tools, I'm afraid, nor climbing skills. If someone else would do it for me...?

PallentisLunam
2016-06-10, 02:51 PM
"Right," Connak says sarcastically. "They've proved exceptionally hostile to having weapons fired at them by intruding stangers."

Looking up at the man Connak sheaths his rapier and pulls out his dagger. "I'll get him. Somebody be ready to catch him." Connak then creeps towards the base of the tree from which the man is hung and shimmies up the trunk to cut the rope and hopefully lower the man gently.

Taking 10 on any required checks.

Tharione
2016-06-10, 07:03 PM
The tree in question is growing outside the walls of the courtyard and the branch is about fifty feet off the ground and the rope dangles from ten feet or so out on it. taking 10 on athletics is insufficient to scale the mostly smooth wall.

samduke
2016-06-11, 06:00 AM
liana looking at the man in the tree, I cannot climb to well, and who knows how long this poor fellow has been there

Andrezitos
2016-06-11, 02:47 PM
Boris takes his pistol and unceremoniously shots at the rope. He is feeling cocky today.
[roll0]

Tharione
2016-06-11, 04:11 PM
With the thunderclap of the pistol the rope snaps and the man falls into the waiting arms of Johnathan and Sam. Hoots and howls come from unseen locations among the trees and beyond the walls.

JNAProductions
2016-06-11, 04:32 PM
Not what I would have liked, but effective. Can you hear me? Johnathan says, the first part to his companion and the second to the (formerly?) unconscious man.

Tharione
2016-06-11, 05:28 PM
The fall has not restored him to wakefulness.

JNAProductions
2016-06-12, 11:17 AM
Johnathan murmurs a few words, then places a faintly glowing hand on the man's chest.

Cure Minor Wounds! Resoring [roll0] HP!

Tharione
2016-06-12, 12:12 PM
The man wakes with a groan.

"Oh.. Oh my, hello there fellow."

He attempts a weak smile before looking around, still bound and not much able to move.

"Oh my, i see we are still in this most inhospitable place. Although it is nice to see civil folk come to my aid it might be best if we retreat from this place post-haste. Iteresting a location as it is the locals are rather... odious. I'd prefer anyone of you become breakfast or i return to my state of impending dinner."

PallentisLunam
2016-06-12, 01:11 PM
Connak walks over and keeping an eye on the surrounding trees he cuts the man's bonds with his dagger."Can you walk? Or as may be more likely run? And swim?"

Tharione
2016-06-12, 01:32 PM
"I should be able to manage a walk..."

samduke
2016-06-12, 02:29 PM
liana looking the man over, well unless there are objections I say we make for the boat sooner rather than later, I don't fancy being food for those things.

Liana will reload her weapon

PallentisLunam
2016-06-12, 02:38 PM
Connak gives Johnathan a meaningful look, "Take his right? We may need to move quickly."

Connak draws his rapier with his left hand and offers a hand to the stranger. "Connak Isleborn, at your service."

Tharione
2016-06-12, 03:23 PM
"Elric Arcade.." he accepts the extended hand to shake.

4 short humanoids climb to atop the walls nearby, shields and spears in hand. A heavily decorated member of the short folk steps out of the tent atop the pillar. With an elaborate headress of colorful parrot feathers a mask of leather and wood, a necklace of gold coins and shells, and a staff topped with a circular brass star with 6 pointed flanges. They hold position while the decorated one studies the group.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-12, 03:43 PM
"Don't. Shoot. At. Them." Connak whispers out of the side of his mouth.

Connak replaces his sword in its sheath and raises his empty hand. "Contrary to our actions so far, we truly mean you no harm!" he calls out, under no illusions that the pygmies would understand him, he is mainly trying to get his general message across through tone and body language.

"That thing on the chief's staff. It goes in the carvings back near the staircase."

JNAProductions
2016-06-12, 06:03 PM
Well and truly, Johnathan adds, looking as non-threatening as possible. We only wish to leave.

Andrezitos
2016-06-13, 09:58 AM
Boris reloads his gun as well, but will not make aim or anymore else threatening moves. Lets connack do the talking.

Tharione
2016-06-13, 10:10 AM
The heavily ornamented creature climbs down from his pillar to approach at a walking pace. Upon getting closer His eyes widen and he whispers in a language no one present understands before repeating the same thing, but shouting it to the others present, and gestures dramatically. The other critters present lower their guard and look confused, surprised, and awed varying from one to another.

"Well.. this is a new behavior. Previously they seemed strictly intent on killing and eating anyone else."

CozJa
2016-06-13, 10:40 AM
"Maybe now they only want to sacrifice us at some god-monstruosity"

JNAProductions
2016-06-13, 11:15 AM
"Maybe now they only want to sacrifice us at some god-monstruosity"

Shush you. Hope for the best.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-13, 11:56 AM
Taking a few cautious steps forward Connak decides to suppress his instinct for discovery and instead try and focus on survival. "We-" he says in a slow calm voice while making a slow, expansive gesture at all of the people behind him, "Would like to go." Connak points towards the beach.

Tharione
2016-06-13, 12:52 PM
The decorated one nods, seeming to understand. Speaking something in his strange language. He bounds along at a fair speed toward the way you entered, up the stairs.

JNAProductions
2016-06-13, 12:54 PM
The decorated one nods, seeming to understand. Speaking something in his strange language. He bounds along at a fair speed toward the way you entered, up the stairs.

Johnathan starts to follow, slowly and non-threateningly, and looks to see if that's the correct move.

Tharione
2016-06-13, 01:27 PM
The decorated one seems to be waiting for you at the top.

CozJa
2016-06-13, 01:34 PM
Sam follows hesitantly