PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/ranger prestige class?

ZhanStrider
2016-05-11, 01:42 PM
Is there a good paladin prestige that would make a paladin feel more Ranger-y? Or a PrC that cements a multiclassed build of the two? Thanks!

ZhanStrider
2016-05-11, 01:44 PM
For clarity, I currently have a paladin of freedom 5 who is a sword and board fighter. He worships a goddess of nature and plants though and our party's home base is a swamp

Flickerdart
2016-05-11, 02:02 PM
Consecrated Harriers gain ranger casting and abilities. They don't progress paladin abilities, but they can go back to paladin after taking levels in the class.

You have a few other options:

Paladins of Tyr can take Holy Judge substitution levels, gaining Favored Enemy: Devils instead of Smite Evil.
Paladins of Clangeddin Silverbeard or Selūne can take Crescent Moon Knight sub levels, replacing Turn Undead with FE: Lycanthropes (+2 only).
Paladins of Horus-Re can take the feat Initiate of Horus-Re, granting them 1/day wild shape into a hawk for 1 hour.
The feat Devoted Tracker allows you to stack ranger and paladin levels for Smite Evil damage, and apply Special Mount and Animal Companion benefits to the same creature. You can also freely multiclass between ranger and paladin.

Darrin
2016-05-11, 02:09 PM
First things first, Prestige Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeRanger) is a thing.

Consecrated Harrier (Complete Divine) is the PrC for paladins who want to do more ranger-y stuff.

Holy Liberator (same book) is the PrC for rangers who want to do more paladin-y stuff.

Unfortunately, each has their own spellcasting slots, so no matter which way you go, both sides of your spellcasting suffers.

Forest Reeve (Complete Champion) is for rangers who want to ranger even HARDER. Actually, paladins wanting to do ranger-y things might be better off with this 5-level "ranger lootcrate" if they don't care all that much about spellcasting.

ZhanStrider
2016-05-11, 03:22 PM
First things first, Prestige Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeRanger) is a thing.

Consecrated Harrier (Complete Divine) is the PrC for paladins who want to do more ranger-y stuff.

Holy Liberator (same book) is the PrC for rangers who want to do more paladin-y stuff.

Unfortunately, each has their own spellcasting slots, so no matter which way you go, both sides of your spellcasting suffers.

Forest Reeve (Complete Champion) is for rangers who want to ranger even HARDER. Actually, paladins wanting to do ranger-y things might be better off with this 5-level "ranger lootcrate" if they don't care all that much about spellcasting.

I don't care about Spellcasting I took the Complete Champion variant paladin where I get bonus feats instead of spells

Darrin
2016-05-11, 03:36 PM
I don't care about Spellcasting I took the Complete Champion variant paladin where I get bonus feats instead of spells

Then both Holy Liberator and Forest Reeve might work well for you. Just refluff that last one as "Swamp Reeve" or "Defender of the Bog".

nedz
2016-05-11, 03:42 PM
How about some Druid ...

OK, maybe not.

Beloved of Valarian perhaps ?

... He ...

Er, no not that either then.

Bloodhound or Justicar perhaps ?

You might need to be more specific.

Grim Reader
2016-05-11, 04:04 PM
Is there a good paladin prestige that would make a paladin feel more Ranger-y? Or a PrC that cements a multiclassed build of the two? Thanks!

Prestige Ranger on top of Paladin, or Prestige Paladin on top of a Ranger.

Flickerdart
2016-05-11, 04:15 PM
Prestige Ranger on top of Paladin, or Prestige Paladin on top of a Ranger.
If only. Rangers will have trouble mustering protection from evil and Turn Undead, while paladins don't have ready access to calm animals.

Troacctid
2016-05-11, 04:54 PM
If only. Rangers will have trouble mustering protection from evil and Turn Undead, while paladins don't have ready access to calm animals.
Ranger 4/Cleric 1/Prestige Paladin X. Easy peasey.

Soldier of Light would be even better if it didn't have an incompatible alignment with Prestige Paladin.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-11, 05:54 PM
Champion of Gwynharwyf makes you a paladin/barbarian hybrid (although strictly speaking, rage is not required). It's not that ranger-y, but it does get Listen, Spot and Survival in-class, unlike a paladin, and it's a good class overall.

Yogibear41
2016-05-12, 01:19 AM
You could take Ranger levels then combine the Devoted Tracker Feat, with the Holy Mount feat from Dragon #325 for a super powered mount. Could even toss in the feat that ups your animal companion level by 3 if you wanted to make your mount that much stronger as well.

Go Paladin 5/Ranger 15, mount gains bonus's as a 20th level paladin, and the bonus's of 10th level druid's animal companion.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-05-12, 07:31 AM

A quick jaunt through one level of divine crusader to pick it up from the good domain can get it in there. It delays entry a bit but it doesn't hurt much compared to losing half your casting progression to the prestige variant paladin.