PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Homebrew Balancing

AKShadow22
2016-05-11, 05:08 PM
So I was looking around the web looking for a Predator (The one from the movie) build and I found a Homebrew build for the Predator on DnDwiki. I just want to know how balanced it is compared to builds from the books.

Zanos
2016-05-11, 05:39 PM
A link might help.

AKShadow22
2016-05-11, 06:01 PM
here they are
wwwdandwiki.com/wiki/Predator_(3.5e_Class)
wwwdandwiki.com/wiki/Yautjas_(3.5e_Race)
they wouldn't let me post the actual links

Zanos
2016-05-11, 07:45 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Predator_(3.5e_Class)
www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Yautjas_(3.5e_Race)

You can use the little hyperlink button in the full editor to insert links. I only checked the racial stats, which seemed fine for a +3 LA race. +3 LA is kind of hard to deal with in general, and it's mostly just a host of ability scores. Race might be a bit weak, if anything, but is in line with WoTC level adjustments for high ability scores.

The class is a mess. Let's do this one at a time.

First, the save and BAB progression are off. That BAB is for some reason class level +1, and the saves are totally wrong for the normal progression, which is 2+1/2 level for good saves, and +1/3 level for poor saves.

No armor proficiency is bizarre. Free weapon focus and weapon specialization is nice.

The class role feature is just...weird. At level 1, this class gets to also be a ranger, rogue, or fighter, but doesn't really dictate for what purposes. I guess you just get all their class features?

The pred-pod thing lets you have a +x weapon, where x is the highest of your class level or highest ability modifier, giving you a +1 weapon at level 1, and a +5 weapon at level 5, and probably a +10 weapon at some point.

The wrist computer is stupid. There's no save and the damage and range are enormous. It pretty much grantees that at any non double digit level play, if the predator ever dies, so does everyone he was fighting, or fighting with. So guaranteed TPKs.

Bio mask gives +10 spot at level 1. Also mentions "information checks", which don't exist.

Medicomp can be upgraded as a ring, having +1 and +2 variants, but gives no price guidelines for doing so.

Cloaking device giving +10 hide and and hide in plain sight at level 3 is a bit much.

The class isn't crazy overpowered assuming it's cleaned up, since it was written by someone who's understanding of the rules is very shallow and probably shouldn't be writing classes. Assuming you were okay with invalidating fighter, rogue, and ranger.

Know(Nothing)
2016-05-11, 08:22 PM
I feel like Predator is just an Astral Stalker with some good, refluffed magic items.

AKShadow22
2016-05-11, 09:12 PM
Thanks. There was another link that I saw that showed an encounter version of them. The class itself is a bit OP and I don't think I'll use it. wwwpenandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15370-Predator-amp-Alien-(Xenomorph)-stats-for-3-5e[/url]

this is what I found for basic encounter stats.