PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Shadowdancer Companion

FocusWolf413
2016-05-11, 06:26 PM
What ways are there to enhance a Shadowdancer's shadow companion? Are there any items it can use? Any particularly useful spells to cast on it?

DrMotives
2016-05-11, 07:05 PM
I don't know how different it is in Pathfinder, but the main issue in 3.0/3.5 is that the shadow is incorporeal, so all equipment used on it needs to be enchanted with ghost touch. That'll raise the price of everything.

mabriss lethe
2016-05-11, 07:40 PM
I don't know how different it is in Pathfinder, but the main issue in 3.0/3.5 is that the shadow is incorporeal, so all equipment used on it needs to be enchanted with ghost touch. That'll raise the price of everything.
In 3.5, at least, If you can get their HD high enough for a bonus feat and boost their Charisma, they can qualify for giving them the Ghostly Grasp feat, which cuts out the need for Ghost touch equipment for them. I'm not sure if there's a similar feat in PF.

FocusWolf413
2016-05-11, 07:42 PM
In 3.5, at least, If you can get their HD high enough for a bonus feat and boost their Charisma, they can qualify for giving them the Ghostly Grasp feat, which cuts out the need for Ghost touch equipment for them. I'm not sure if there's a similar feat in PF.

The problem isn't the lack of a feat, the problem is that there is no way to raise the shadow's HD in pathfinder.

mabriss lethe
2016-05-11, 08:24 PM
yeeah. I just noticed that when I looked it up. Looking at it, I don't know if you actually *need* to upgrade it. It's going to have 1/2 your HP no matter what and use your attack bonus and saves. It should be pretty good as is. It gets around most of the problems with the 3.5 SD shadow companion that way and stays pretty relevant against living enemies. Given that I'm not that much of a PF expert, I'd go with a few ghost touched items that give it some broadened utility and call it a day.

FocusWolf413
2016-05-11, 08:54 PM
How do I put ghost touch on non-weapon or non-armor worn items?

DrMotives
2016-05-11, 09:51 PM
How do I put ghost touch on non-weapon or non-armor worn items?

I'm having trouble finding it at the moment, but Libris Mortis for 3.5 has a flat market price that can be put on any category of magic items to add ghost touch quality to it. Not sure how valid that is for your PF campaign.

Florian
2016-05-12, 12:10 AM
What ways are there to enhance a Shadowdancer's shadow companion? Are there any items it can use? Any particularly useful spells to cast on it?

It can use ghost touch weapons and armor.
You can use Shadow Call to mimic basic buff spells like Mage Armor on it.
Thatīs about all there is.

FocusWolf413
2016-05-12, 12:21 AM
I'm having trouble finding it at the moment, but Libris Mortis for 3.5 has a flat market price that can be put on any category of magic items to add ghost touch quality to it. Not sure how valid that is for your PF campaign.

It's pretty relevant. I just marked it as Pf because it's the Pf shadowdancer. There's no "unholy amount of homebrew, 3.PF, and 3rd party" tag.

I'll browse through LM later. Thanks :)

Florian
2016-05-12, 09:19 AM
It's pretty relevant. I just marked it as Pf because it's the Pf shadowdancer. There's no "unholy amount of homebrew, 3.PF, and 3rd party" tag.

I'll browse through LM later. Thanks :)

Keep the regular rules in mind. No sharing slots with companion besides arms and armor.

That said, the Shadow Companion is actually an incredible poison delivery system, as it itself just doesnīt care. Get it a Ghost Touch Conductive Injecting Virulent Gauntlet and watch it go.

FocusWolf413
2016-05-12, 10:32 AM
Keep the regular rules in mind. No sharing slots with companion besides arms and armor.

I can share slots? Where's that written?

That said, the Shadow Companion is actually an incredible poison delivery system, as it itself just doesnīt care. Get it a Ghost Touch Conductive Injecting Virulent Gauntlet and watch it go.

I have master of poisons, so I'm also an incredible poison delivery system. I also have a raven Urban Companion, and it's pretty awesome at that.