PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Blaster who throws divine damage?(3.5 & PF)

Hogsy
2016-05-11, 07:05 PM
Is it possible to make a viable divine caster whose main role is blasting things to pieces? I want to make an NPC who's obsessed with godhood so before homebrewing a couple of spells that deal divine damage but are worth the time for a divine caster, I'm intrested in seeing whether it's viable or not first. Who's best to ask the the giants in the playground of course. Any book goes as long as it's not TOO CHEESY and if possible be in the lvl15-20 range. Thanks in advance!

DrMotives
2016-05-11, 07:17 PM
Most of the blaster type spells on the Divine side of the house are on the Druid & Shugenja spell lists. An Archivist who puts in the effort can get all of these spells as well. All 3 of those classes have very different other class features and flavours to them. You can also use domain choice & reserve feats to get a fair bit of blasting added as well.

nedz
2016-05-11, 07:35 PM
Play a Spontaneous Cleric
Pick some domains with blast (there are several)
Blast

Spontaneous Druid also works.

mabriss lethe
2016-05-11, 09:49 PM
You could go with something like Dragonfire Channeling: use a Turn Undead OR TURN X ELEMENT to unleash a 15ft cone dealing 1d6/2 levels that's half fire/half sacred damage. Combining it with Draconic Heritage opens up other energy types instead of fire. I'm fond of slapping it on a Cleric of Obad-Hai with two elemental domains and Extra Turning. It's not especially powerful, but it does give you something to burn those Turn elemental uses on when nothing is around to turn/rebuke.

ATHATH
2016-05-11, 09:56 PM
Check out Tempest_Stormwind's Holy Fire build. It's technically arcane, but all of its fire spells deal divine damage, which I assume is close enough for you.

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-11, 10:28 PM
Play a Spontaneous Cleric
Pick some domains with blast (there are several)
Blast

Fire domain, Arson sub domain is probably the most blasty, even more-so than just fire- your first three spells are burning hands, flaming sphere, fireball. It replaces several of the non-blasty fire spells in the domain with more offensive ones ^^ (Actually has a slightly less blasty domain ability than vanilla fire, but if you're going a blaster, you want spells, not 3+wis per day domain abilities)

Water/Ice takes a bit to give you more than the domain power, but handles your high-level blastiness.

Weather gives you a deep tank in the blasty department, though not quite as high power blasting as Water/Ice. Lightning. It even has a 'call lightning' domain power at level 8, and at one call-lightning per level you won't run out. Basically do this if you want to zap all day at mid-level.

Sun have some at higher level, but I think the three above are the domains of choice, in order of priority.

nedz
2016-05-12, 06:50 AM
There are several options

Sun domain to power Fiery Burst
Storm domain to enter Stormcaster

Sudden Widen and Sculpt Spell are interesting feat choices. It's unusual to get more than one opportunity to cast Widen, without blue on blue, in any given day - and Sculpt Spell requires a pre-req. The advantage of Spontaneous casting is that you can choose these on the fly.

Energy Substitution is tricky because it requires Know (Arcana) 5 but it does open up Born of the Three Thunders.

Thurbane
2016-05-12, 04:22 PM
I'm going to second (or third?) Archivist; depending on the race you chose, you can get into Hexer (will require a way to get Survival) and gran 5 Sorc/Wiz spells as you progress, so you can grab some blasty spells that an Archivist might otherwise have trouble getting access to.

DeAnno
2016-05-13, 04:07 AM
I second the use of the Holy Fire build for these purposes. The best saved version of it I found was here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471372-Weekly%28-%29-Optimization-Showcase-Holy-Fire-%28Tempest_Stormwind%29)

Anthrowhale
2016-05-13, 07:40 AM
The Holy Fire build looks fun.

The Stutter Caster (in my sig) is an example of what a Archivist can do. Since the build does many other things it's likely overpowered for a real campaign, but you could tone things down as appropriate.

Telonius
2016-05-13, 09:20 AM
Obsessed with godhood - does he think he deserves it, and the existing gods don't? That would be a perfect case for a Hellfire Ur-Lock. The usual build for that is Warlock4/Binder1/Ur-Priest2/Eldritch Disciple2/Hellfire Warlock 3/Eldritch Disciple 3-10, but you can throw in a few other prestige classes instead of Eldritch Disciple. Your Eldritch Blast won't be divine damage, per se, but it's pretty satisfying to incinerate people whose faith in you might be lacking.

darksolitaire
2016-05-13, 10:32 AM
I'm going to second (or third?) Archivist; depending on the race you chose, you can get into Hexer (will require a way to get Survival) and gran 5 Sorc/Wiz spells as you progress, so you can grab some blasty spells that an Archivist might otherwise have trouble getting access to.

Thirding/fourthing. Archivist is unarguably the best blaster on this side of divine by the virtue of scribing Hellfire and Hellfire Storm to his prayerbook.