PDA

View Full Version : [Spells] of Nothus.

mikeejimbo
2007-06-25, 05:51 PM
The grimoire of Nothus, also known variously as Parvus Nothus, Nothus Magus, the Wanted Mage, the Little Nuisance and other names that cannot be repeated here because there may be children present, was found in partial completion at his latest residence (a rented room in the cheapest tavern) after he fled town. It is unclear whether he left too quickly to bother collecting this belonging or he did not intend to leave it behind, as if forgotten or dropped. It is suspected he still has a copy of these spells, and as part of he attempts to catch him, authorities are currently trying to recover more of the spells he may have. The contents, as thus far found, are presented below, only for the sake of completion and so that we may look into the mind of this vile creature. Keep reading, as further information on the outlaw wizard will continue to be presented.

Fool's Alchemy
Illusion
Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Brd 1
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Touch
Effect: 10 coins/level changed to another metal
Duration: 10min/level
Saving Throw: Will Disbelieves
Spell Resistance: No

This spell causes coins of one type seem like coins of another type. Usually,
this is copper to gold. Each casting can change up to 100 coins. The coins
seem to be the specified type for the duration of the spell, at which point
the illusion fades, revealing their true metal. Anyone examining them gets
a will save to disbelieve the illusion, but only if they have reason to believe
that they are counterfiet. Otherwise, they look and feel real.

Material Component: One coin of the type to be changed to.

Smart Brew
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Brd 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Effect: One magical ale created
Duration: 1hr/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

This spell creates an ale. Upon being drunk, the drinker gets a fortitude
save to resist the effects. (It does not count as a poison.) If they fail,
their Intelligence temporarily (for the duration of the spell) drops by 4, but they believe that it has instead increased by 6. Additionally, they have trouble hearing their own voice.

Material Component: A small bit of water

Sage Brew
Conjuration (Creation)

As Smart Brew, but effects Wisdom instead.

Smooth Brew
Conjuration (Creation)

As Smart Brew, but effects Charisma instead.

Super Brew
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Brd 2

As Smart Brew, but effects Intelligence, Wisdom AND Charisma

Nothus' Brew
Conjuration (Creation)
Duration: 10m/level
Saving Throw: Will negates

This creates a magical brew. Upon being drunk, the drinker's Intelligence
is reduced by 2 (minimum 3), but they receive a +6 Morale Bonus to Charisma.

Distraction
Illusion
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Immediate
Range: Long
Effect: Up to 2 creatures/level distracted, no two of which may be more than 30ft apart
Duration: Instaneous

Your targets believe they catch a glimmer of something at a spot you specify. If they fail a will save, then they must turn to see what it is. Anyone casting a spell at the time must make a concentration check at DC = level of spell they were casting + DC of this spell.

Nothus' Illusionary Dog
Illusion
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Brd 2
Effect: One cute, but illusionary, dog appears.
Duration: 10 min/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (See text)

This spell creates a dog. It looks, sounds and feels real. And it's very cute. Anyone who sees it must make a Will save or spend 3 rounds petting it if not in battle, or 1 round if in battle. When they turn their backs, it bites them in the bum, with a BAB = caster's level + 2, for 1d6 damage.

Material Component: Hair of dog that bit you

Create Pit
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Sor/Wiz 7, Drd 7, Brd 6
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Long
Effect: Creates a hidden pit
Area: 10ft/lvl diameter, 10ft/lvl deep.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No

This creates a pit, leaving a thin layer of dirt covering the top, such that it blends in with the ground around it. A spot check will only reveal that something is wrong. When someone steps on the pit, the ground will break and they will fall in. Depending on the ground material and depth, they may be stuck in the pit.

Material Component: Some dirt.

Illusionary Pit
Illusion
Range: Medium
Effect: One target believes that they have fallen into a pit
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will disbelieves
Spell Resistance: Yes

A single target, on a failed will save believes himseolf to have fallen into a pit. They see, feel, and even taste the pit. For the duration, they will spend their time fruitlessly trying to escape.

Material Component: Some dirt.

Cheater's Illusion
Illusion (Figment)
Effect: 2.6 objects/level altered (rounded down)
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: Will disbelieves.

When this spell is cast, it is held in the caster's hands until he decides to discharge it. When he does, it creates an illusion on a playing card, die, or similar object (at DM's discretion), so that it looks like another card/die facing/etc. The duration of this illusion is 10 minutes/level. Anyone who sees the illusion and has reason to suspect that magical cheating may be involved gets a Will save to disbelieve it.

Material Component: 1 gold coin.

Cheater's Touch
Transmutation
Effect: 2.6 objects/level altered (rounded down)
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: No

This spell works as Cheater's Illusion, but the objects are altered permanently, rather than as an Illusion. As such, viewers do not get a save against it.

Material Component: 1 gold coin.

Hide Magic
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Clr 7
Range: 10ft
Area: 10ft radius emanation, centered on you.
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None

In the radius, magic is undetectable. Detect Magic reveals nothing.

Material Component: A pinch of powdered copper or copper filings.

False Identify
Divination
Casting Time: 1 hour
Effect: False Information about a touched object is given
Duration: Instantaneous

When this spell is prepared, the preparer determines what information will be given about an item it is used upon, and may specify different sets of information if it is used on different objects. (For example, it could reveal that
a potion is a potion of Cure Serious Wounds, but if it is used on a Scroll, it reveals that it is a scroll of Fireball.) The information need not be accurate. If this spell is scribed onto a scroll, wand, or similar magical item, it seems identical to the spell Identify. When cast, the caster gets a Will save to realize that the information is false, but will not reveal the truth.

Material Component: A pearl worth at least 100gp.

jindra34
2007-06-25, 05:57 PM
For first spell you do realize any material components are consumed in the casting of a spell.

GoblinJTHM
2007-06-25, 06:18 PM
maybe the coins should crumble when the spell expires? also, 100 coins/lvl 1 seems a lot to me, maybe it should be 10*caster level or something?

Also, does the spell change whats on the coin? I mean, if you dyed a penny silver and told me it was a dollar I think the lincoln on there would give it away. Not to mention it would be really small for a dollar.

Given this postulate however, I would have a blast with silver pennies telling people they we're a dollar if the person was say...not from around here?

I guess I feel like unless it changes whats on the coin and the size of the coin you would need some currency that doesn't circulate in the area you're in and to find someone who had never seen said not from around here currency before.

jindra34
2007-06-25, 06:41 PM
Also i believe bard spells cap out at level 6.

Neek
2007-06-25, 06:45 PM
maybe the coins should crumble when the spell expires? also, 100 coins/lvl 1 seems a lot to me, maybe it should be 10*caster level or something?

Also, does the spell change whats on the coin? I mean, if you dyed a penny silver and told me it was a dollar I think the lincoln on there would give it away. Not to mention it would be really small for a dollar.

Given this postulate however, I would have a blast with silver pennies telling people they we're a dollar if the person was say...not from around here?

I guess I feel like unless it changes whats on the coin and the size of the coin you would need some currency that doesn't circulate in the area you're in and to find someone who had never seen said not from around here currency before.

Considering that it is an illusion spell, I believe it alters the appearance of the coin to appear as another. So it seems the same size, weight, and has the same designs on it. I'd just be sure to include that on the description.

Also i believe bard spells cap out at level 6.

I just checked the SRD, and you are correct.

mikeejimbo
2007-06-25, 07:10 PM
For first spell you do realize any material components are consumed in the casting of a spell.

Whoops, yes, that's true. I will edit that.

Considering that it is an illusion spell, I believe it alters the appearance of the coin to appear as another. So it seems the same size, weight, and has the same designs on it. I'd just be sure to include that on the description.

Yeah, it would alter the appearance of the coin.

jindra34
2007-06-25, 07:14 PM
ok now that all the technical difficulties are out of the way i will say i really like these spells. I wonder what some one who fell in an illusory pit would do?

TheLogman
2007-06-25, 07:37 PM
Well, they would probably claw at the (Illusionary) dirt, and maybe scream a little, and then maybe try to climb out, or throw a rope over, but they would just keep falling. This is awesome. Most of these spells allow a bard to wreak havok in a town setting, but I can totally see these having several uses inside a dungeon as well. Very well done.

martyboy74
2007-06-25, 08:06 PM
Isn't Illusionary Pit already a spell?

mikeejimbo
2007-06-25, 08:43 PM
Isn't Illusionary Pit already a spell?

Perhaps it is, but if so, I don't have the book and came up with this independently.

Thanks for the input - and if you see any other things that are technically wrong or need clarified, please do speak up.

I am considering changing the number of coins in Fool's Alchemy, which I suppose is a good plan since people would probably use platinum, worth 10x as much as gold.