PDA

View Full Version : Dragons of Ferriux, Vermithrax

Eonn
2016-05-11, 08:40 PM
Chapter 1: A New Home

Deciding against settling near the volcano due to how difficult you expect getting enough food will be, you turn to the next best location- The highest mountain in the area. From above, you easily spot a small section of flat land, and a cave opening. You almost can’t believe your luck as you poke your head into the cave. Then two booming voices echo from deeper in and you realize that this location may have been too good to be uninhabited.

”Something coming. What it want?" Roars the first voice.

"You imbecile!" A second, though identical, voice scolds. "Nothing without wings can get up from there. It’s probably just a bird or a grumpling or something."

"Bird taste good! We go smash and eat!"

"If we must."

A set of thundering footsteps comes your way. If you want this cave, you’ll have to take it.

Roll Initiative!

http://s20.postimg.org/on4t9gjq5/Lake_Fight_A1j.jpg

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/389551.jpg

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-11, 09:26 PM
"I knew it was too good to be true." Vermithrax mumbled to himself as he rolled his eyes. He was tired and sore from the long travel and this made him even grumpier than normal. He decided that he wasn't going to compromise, or retreat. The location was just too good. Difficult to get to from the ground, vaguely defensible from the air, a great vantage point to look down on the lands below, everything a young Red dragon could possibly want - sans lava of course.

"TWEET! TWEET! Mother-lovers!" He roared as he prepared for battle.

Init: [roll0]

Eonn
2016-05-11, 09:33 PM
Turn order:
1- Dragon
2- Ettin

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-11, 09:51 PM
Vermithrax

Vermithrax charges headlong at the thing in the cave. He lunges at the giant with his jaws wide open, an array of 12 inch long razor sharp teeth brought to bear.

Bite :
Attack: [roll0] (normally +17 +2 charge)

Damage: [roll1]

Frightening presence : DC 17 will save or be 'shaken'

HP: 200
AC: 23 (25 -2 for charging)

Eonn
2016-05-11, 10:14 PM
You bite down on the ettin hard. It quickly throws you off and readies it's weapons.

"That's not a bird." One head states.
"We bash and eat anyway!" Screams the other.

The giant creature swings both of it's weapons at you.

Flail x2
To hit: 1:[roll0] 2:[roll1]
Damage 1:[roll2] 2:[roll3]

You deflect the first blow with your tail and duck under the second.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-11, 10:29 PM
In the heat of the moment Vermithrax barely noticed that the giant was completely unphased by his terrifying visage. Perhaps Vermithrax wasn't as scary as he thought he was.

He roared and began a fierce and primal-fury fueled attack.

Vermithrax will enter a barbarian rage and full attack the Ettin.

Bite: Attack : [roll0] Damage : [roll1]

Claw 1: Attack : [roll2] Damage : [roll3]
Claw 2: Attack : [roll4] Damage : [roll5]

Wing 1: Attack : [roll6] Damage : [roll7]
Wing 2: Attack : [roll8] Damage : [roll9]

AC: 23 (-2 for rage)
HP: 200 (+24 hps from rage)
+2 will saves
Rage - 9 rounds.

Eonn
2016-05-11, 11:02 PM
GRAAAA!!! Both heads scream as you carve into him. (them?)

Grumplings! Grumplings, get out here now and FIGHT! The bloodied giant screams before flailing at you with it's flails.

Flail x2
To hit: [roll0][roll1]
Damage: [roll2][roll3]

The blows narrowly glance off your hide, but in your rage you care little.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-11, 11:53 PM
Vermithrax wasn't sure what a 'grumpling' was but wasn't too keen on finding out. He hoped to finished of this giant quickly. A small lick of flames escaped his mouth as he snarled during his attacks.

"Fool! You can not defeat me!"

Full attack the Ettin.

Bite: Attack : [roll0] Damage : [roll1]

Claw 1: Attack : [roll2] Damage : [roll3]
Claw 2: Attack : [roll4] Damage : [roll5]

Wing 1: Attack : [roll6] Damage : [roll7]
Wing 2: Attack : [roll8] Damage : [roll9]

AC: 23 (-2 for rage)
HP: 200 (+24 hps from rage)
+2 will saves
Rage - 8 rounds.

Eonn
2016-05-15, 06:54 PM
The ettin collapses on the ground, hemorrhaging blood from the multitude of bite and claw marks you painted so artfully over his body. Then you hear. a pitter-patter of small feet coming from the ettin's entrance into the chamber. A voice calls out from the darkness in common, the same language the ettin had used.

"Yes, master. Coming, master." It says. Then, it continues in draconic. "I hope you choke, master." The creature turns the corner.

Standing before you, stunned, is a kobold. He looks from the carved corpse of the ettin to you and back, before dropping down to bow before you.

"The prophecies were true! Our savior has been delivered onto us to lead us from our bondage!" The reptile says. You can't help but notice the tears running from the little kobold's eyes.

What do you do?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-15, 07:49 PM
"He may have trouble choking..." Vermithrax replies in draconian, holding up a significant chunk of the ettin's throat. His first instinct was to carve the kobold to ribbons. His second instinct was to burn it to ash. While debating internally how to annihilate the kobold, Vermithrax's vanity settled the question. At least for now. He found it delightful when the little guy bowed to him.

"Are there any other giants or traps in the cave I need to know about." He said in a very business like manner like a lord inspecting a castle he recently purchased. He started to poke around and explore the cave, leaving the kobold on his knees.

Wary of more giants or traps or kobold trickery - he set off to ensure he was safe before engaging the little kobold in conversation. Vermithrax was mildly apprehensive about the 'prophecies ' word being bandied about. He wasn't sure if that was big trouble or a big opportunity or both.

Eonn
2016-05-16, 12:31 PM
"Yes, there are a few in the entrance to our quarters, be we'd be happy to guide you past them! There are no more of those..." He pauses, struggling to find the right word. "Monsters here, thanks to you. But he, or they maybe, have been selling my kin into slavery for years to orc and goblin tribes. They may come here looking to buy more, but you will help us lord!"

The Kobold's eyes sparkle as he goes on wistfully. "Yes, you can rescue my brothers and sisters, and now that we're free we can start mining for gold again. Everything will be so much better here now!"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-16, 05:07 PM
Vermithrax paused for a moment to consider the kobold's words. He was reasonably certain that the fighting was over, for now.

He pauses for a moment and searches the body for any valuables.

"Perhaps you should show me around." Vermithrax suggested.

sense motive to see if we think the kobold is being deceptive. : [roll0]

Search the Ettin : 31

Eonn
2016-05-17, 11:47 AM
On the ettins body you find rotten scraps of meat, a disgusting necklace made of kobold tails and a single gold ring, set with small red gems. As you pry it off the ettin's dead finger, it resizes to fit you suggesting it is probably magic.

Of course!" The kobold says gleefully. "I'd be honored to, my lord! There isn't much to see though, I'm afraid."

You are left to believe that the kobold may want something from you, namely your protection, but is otherwise being genuine.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-17, 10:55 PM
Virmithrax grabs the ring and leaves the rest.

"Lead on, show me everything. What is your name little one?" he says.

Eonn
2016-05-18, 02:16 PM
"I am Vaank, my lord."

He then turns to lead you through the entirety of the the lair. The chamber you are in now leads to what, at one point, was the ettin's personal quarters. The smell there is horrendous, with rotten and filthy everything piled up along the walls. You will likely need to purge it with fire to rid yourself of the smell.

That room leads into a large cavern, which makes up most of the space in the cave system. A small lake of delightfully cool water has collected in the middle, dripping in from overhead. This caven also seemed to have once been home to a collection of stalagmites and stalactites, though most of them have been broken and reduced to rubble and now litter most of the ground.

There are three exits out of the cavern, not including the one you just came from.

One, the kobold tells you, is a steep and winding passage which leads you to the valley to the north east, if you follow it long enough.

The second is a kobold sized passage to the beginnings of the mine. If you squeeze a bit, you can fit in, but just poking your head in is enough to spot the first traces of a gold vein.

The last leads to the kobold's quarters. It is really more of a pit to keep the little lizards in until they can be sold, but the despair on their faces melts off as soon as they see you. Almost immediately, there is talk of sending a hunting party into the valley to catch enough game for a feast in honor of their new lord and freedom.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-18, 04:34 PM
"Vaank, we have so much to do. Our work can probably wait till tomorrow though. If your people would like to have a feast to celebrate their freedom, then do so tonight. I will make a brief appearance if need be, but it will be brief. I am quite tired from my very, very, long journey. For now, I'm going to clear out the ettin's quarters to settle myself. The ritual cleansing will involve quite a bit of fire so keep your people clear, I would hate to unnecessarily hurt anyone."

Vermithrax smiles at Vaank.

"Tomorrow we can talk more about the prophecies, the goblin slavers I need to destroy, setting up a watch rotation, any details of the settlement to the northeast you may have and about the mine. But that is for tomorrow. For now, go forth and eat, drink and be merry."

Vermithrax waves a blood drenched claw to Vaank that was halfway between a wave goodbye and a dismissal. He turns to the Ettins quarters. "Oh dear, this will not do." Vermithrax searched for anything of value but he wasn't particularly hopeful.

After searching the room for valuables, Vermithrax began the cleansing. He did his best to drag the ettin body into the room for disposal as well. Over and over, he breathed fire into the room. Every part of the wall, ceiling and floor were engulfed in multiple blasts. The walls glowing red like Vermithrax's hate. The purging lasted nearly an hour and at the end only dust remained. He used his wings to blow the excess ash out of the cave. He pulled the bones of the ettin out of the ash and arranged them artfully against the wall in the first room he flew into.

Satisfied with his work, he sat on the ground for a few minutes to admire his work. He found it uncomfortable without a layer of gold underneath him, but that would come in time.

Searching the room for anything of value : 31

Roughly how many kobolds are there?

Vermithrax will rend the body of the ettin if it's too heavy to drag all at once (eww)

Eonn
2016-05-18, 05:24 PM
On what seems to have been the ettin's bed, tucked under a pillow, is a small chest. You can hear coinage clinking together inside. A lock keeps it shut, but the container is not in great condition and would likely break if you tried hard enough. The key, however, is nowhere to be found.

The room is empty after the spring cleaning, minus you and your new chest and ring. The walls, once rough and stone grey, had melted slightly during the holocaust within. Now the chamber walls and smooth and charred black, with a slightly glossy quality to them.

A few hours later, Vaank appears at the entrance.

"Lord, our hunter have come back with great success! We would be honored for you to eat the first boar."

There are about 20 kobolds.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-18, 06:51 PM
Vermithrax joins the kobolds. He insists on sharing the first boar with others partially to build rapport with the host of kobolds and partially out of paranoia.

"Our paths and our fortunes are forever linked now." Vermithrax announces to the room with a large toothy smile. He hadn't realized just how hungry he was until he had started eating. The long journey had taken quite a lot out of him. He did his best to not gorge himself to ensure there was enough food to go around. Tomorrow he would hunt on his own and eat to excess.

He glanced around the room taking inventory of the kobold living quarters. After about an hour of talking and sharing folk stories of dragons and kobolds, Vermithrax excuses himself. "Don't stop on my account. Eat up! Vaank, seek me out tomorrow and we will create the future."

Vermithrax retires to his new chamber and does his best to drown out the noise from the kobolds. He curls up around his new treasures, the magic ring and the chest - protecting them with his body. Before he closes his malevolent eyes to sleep, he schemes in the darkness.

"Mother would probably be proud that I haven't eaten any of the kobolds yet." He thinks to himself. Vermithrax drifts off to sleep eager for the morning when the real work would begin.

While in the kobold quarters, he will look around at how they are living and if they seem to lack anything obvious.

example: Do they have enough furs and blankets to stay warm? firewood ? mining equipment etc

Eonn
2016-05-18, 09:11 PM
The kobolds have very little of their own. Besides the rags they wear, they have a few rusty tools and weapons. You notice that each wears an iron ring around a finger.

The efficiency of the mine will depend on several factors, like how much food and water they have, having proper tools and space to refine ore, etc. The kobold can work this stuff out for themselves, but it will hurt the production of the mine. You could help them get things, which would jumpstart the mine, though it may be a bit mundane for you character.

Also, I will get the next post up sometime tomorrow.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-18, 11:19 PM
That's perfect. A little bit of kingdom building would be fun. Vermithrax is eager to get the kobolds happy and productive. Probably the first thing Vermithrax would do in the morning is try and open up the small chest he found to see what he has to work with to buy supplies etc.

He'd probably take 20 on a str check to try and force it open.

Eonn
2016-05-20, 02:22 PM
Chapter 2: It's a kobold-ful life

You awake early the next morning, eager to open your chest. It takes a few minutes, but slamming it on the stone ground seems to work wonders. You are soon sorting through twisted metal and broken wood. What you find was in the chest, however, surprises you.

The chest did not contain coins, like you originally assumed, but rather iron rings, like that all of the kobold wear.

At that moment, Vaank appears at the entrance to your chamber carrying a few rolls of parchment and a satchel with him.

"Good morning, my Lord, I hope you slept well. Are you ready to begin preparations?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-20, 04:03 PM
"Good morning Vaank. We have much to discuss. I am ready" Vermithrax says. He then proceeds to ask a bunch of questions in quick succession, looking for an overview of the situation.

"What can you tell me about the iron rings?" Vermithrax motions to the ring on Vaank's clawed hand.

"How often do the goblins and orcs come by for slaves? Where can I find them if I needed to go kill them? How many are there?"

"What do you know about the town to the north east?"

"It looks like you need blankets, comfortable clothes and possibly newer mining gear, is there anything else you think you need to get started? Anything else you think I should know in general ? I was thinking we could buy basic supplies from the town but we seem to lack basic resources to do so."

Vermithrax realises at once he hasn't given the little guy a chance to get a word in edge wise. He wasn't sure if he was overwhelming the kobold or not.

sense motive : [roll0]

Vermithrax is looking for any deception or half truths - especially regarding the iron rings.

Eonn
2016-05-23, 11:36 AM
Vaank hesitates for a moment before he speaks.

"Gren'Mar, the ettin, used the rings to watch over us. I don't know exactly what he was able to do with them, but bad things always happened to those who plotted against him. We can't get them off ourselves, only the one with the master ring can.

"They come once or twice a year, usually right after winter ends." He gulps, thinking what this means for his enslaved kin. "I don't know where you can find them otherwise, though if you look for a freshly raided human town, they would point you in the right direction. Assuming, of course, they didn't try to kill you. Humans are stupid like that.

"It's a human town called Steelton. They mine iron from the foothills there. Because of how important the steel they make there is, it's heavily guarded. We could probably get mining tools there, if we had the coin.

"We have been making do for awhile now, a few more days are not going to kill us. If you'd be so kind, Lord, you could dedicate a portion of the gold mined to us, and we could trade for new tools and such."

Vaank likely lived his whole life with one of these rings on, you find it hard to believe that he doesn't know any of the specifics.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-23, 05:15 PM
Vermithrax nods as he listens to Vaank. "Let's say half the gold from the mine for the first little while, till we are established. Pick axes, mining supplies, warmer clothes and blankets, maybe a small forge to make coins. What ever your people need."

"I think I'm going to go search for food the rest of the day, I don't think I can feed all of you but I can probably supplement what your hunters are doing quite nicely. If nothing else at first, our people will be well fed. If you can use the Ettin bones I set aside for mining or to help shore up the mine or to make a tent out of, go ahead. Oh yes, almost forgot, while I'm gone, stay out of my chamber."

Before dismissing the kobold, Vermithrax frowns for a brief moment. "Vaank, I'm a powerful and wise red dragon. I don't need a magic ring to tell me when someone is holding out on me. What else do you know about the rings? You need to tell me everything."

After the conversation with Vannk, Vermithrax will go hunting for food. Taking 10 on a survival check, he can feed himself and 7 other people (guessing that's 14 kobolds.) Hopefully enough hides can be salvaged for clothes/blankets etc.

During his hunt, he'll do his best to give a wide berth to human settlements and to the other dragon's lairs/lands if possible - if he knows vaguely where they are. He'll stop to fight any orcs or goblins he can find or anything else that looks like an even challenge or weaker.

(He'll take the golden ring with him but not wear it just yet)

Eonn
2016-05-24, 11:27 PM
Vaank's eyes drop to his feet in shame.

"I have kept track of the things Gren'Mar has done with the rings. It's not a complete list but he has also been able to keep track of the locations of those who have the rings, and listen into their conversations. He can also appear next to anyone with a ring, and can bring anyone with a ring to him. If there's anything else that can be done with them, I am not aware of it."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-25, 06:22 AM
"Hmmm sounds like an interesting tool, its a shame about the listening to conversation part. I can see why that would make one uncomfortable. I like the idea of being able to send someone out exploring or hunting and instantly being able to bring them back to the cave with out the return walk. Or I could go explore the far end of the island or visit other dragons and then simply return to you here at the cave. I'm going to keep the ring for now but I don't think I will use it. You havn't given me any reason not to trust you - yet. I think our goals are aligned for now. I think that when I use the ring I will let you know before hand and how it will be used - then remove it till the next time. Don't confuse my kindness with weakness however, if you conspire to cross me, I swear to Io I will make it my life's mission to scour all kobolds from the island. I did manage to kill your previous master in about fifteen seconds flat without even resorting to using my breath. But enough warnings, you have stuff to do and so do I."

While the thought of having near absolute control of the kobolds was very inticing to Vermithrax, he decided that what would be even better was to have willing worshipers. He figured he would give this a try and if and likely when it failed, he would bend them all to his will with force or utterly destroy them and chalk it up to a learning experience. He tried to pick a number in his head of Kobold he would need to kill to quash a rebellion, 3 ? 8? 10 ? - well no matter.

Unless Vaank wanted to cover anything else, Vermithrax will leave for the hunting trip mentioned in the previous post - with the golden ring stuffed in his scales.

Eonn
2016-05-26, 12:13 PM
Your hunting trip is rather uneventful. You manage to return to the caves with a large buck, so your time is well spent. Vaank immediately greets you, with a small stone tablet and a piece of chalk in hand.

My lord," He says, bowing. "We have gotten a small forge set up and, starting tomorrow, will be able to once again excavate gold. If you'd like, I can go over how I have jobs distributed. Otherwise, I'll keep everyone busy. We should also be able to rely on our hunting parties for food, so you can spend your time doing more important things from here on out."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-27, 12:43 AM
"Great work Vaank. I knew I could count on you. I don't need the exact break down of work allocation, unless you think its important I know. Just make sure you include some kind of watch rotation to keep an eye out for intruders or orc/goblins/ettins. We should also consider setting up more traps in the north east corridor, the path way down to the valley. Even if they are just noise makers. Just make sure you show any new ones to me so I don't skewer myself. As soon as we have some gold gathered, I will make a trip into town to arrange for more supplies. I'll probably ask around about any orc raids or known locations of camps while I'm there to see if I can get a line on the rest of our people." Vermithrax says.

"hrm, at some point I'll need to explore the volcano as well. " Vermithrax mused to himself " Well, I can explore that next week I guess. When you are more squared away."

Vermithrax turns towards Vaank once more and asks " While I was gone did you conspire against me at all? set up new traps to kill me? go into my chamber at all?" He stares the kobold in the eye with his own fiery orbs. Vermithrax decided for now random interrogations would be less intrusive and viewed slightly more favorablely then wearing the gold ring and listening to all their conversations. Though if he caught wind of any deception, all bets were off. He had heard kobolds could be treacherous and untrustworthy and he wanted to ensure he had their loyalty.

"Tomorrow I will go out hunting again for extra food and hides. Then the next day I'll head over to the town to investigate, gather supplies. Lets agree to meet up every evening and keep each up apprised on our progress." he suggests. "If you have any other requests or questions, now is the time."

Silly question#1 : Are the kobolds able to venture to town to buy supplies or are kobolds generally kill on sight by most of the higher races?

Silly question#2 : Is there sufficient room in the kobolds cave/room for more kobolds or do I need to expand the living quarters? (assuming I find some down the road)

Sense motive : [roll0] for the min-interrogation of Vaank.

Eonn
2016-05-28, 07:01 PM
Vaank goes from beaming from your praise to trembling in a moment.

"N-no! Of course not!" He sputters. No have no reason to believe he's telling anything but the truth.

"I'll see to getting a regular guard. How often do you plan on using the tunnel, as opposed to just flying from your chamber?"

Kobolds are not kill on sight, but they also are not protected by the kingdom's laws.

There is enough room in the kobold's quarters for many times over the amount which is living there now.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-29, 05:09 AM
"Of course you wouldn't betray me" Vermithrax says "I'm just being paranoid. My apologies little friend. Until we have enough resources for me to go into town, I'll continue my hunting trips. You should continue sending out hunters though, I may get delayed or sidetracked. With regards to the tunnel, I hope to never use it but in the case of an emergency, it would be nice to have that option. Just keep me abreast of new traps as you set them up. I'll probably inspect the tunnel every week or so."

Vermithrax will continue his daily 'hunting' trips until the kobolds have gathered enough gold coins or gold dust to warrant him going into town to buy supplies. (I'm not sure how long that will take.). In the meantime, he'll also gather fire wood. Some will be for the kobolds, some will be for the forge and the rest he will pile in his chamber.

When the time comes to go shopping, Vermithrax will fly to within 4 miles of town, then change into a half-orc and walk the rest of the way. He'll only buy about 200 lbs of supplies per run so it may take a couple trips.

Supply list roughly order
- 2 large sacks (so vermithrax can carry supplies here and there)
- halfling sized pick axes
- mining helmets
- Winter blankets
- healer kit
- flint+steel to light fires
- Several large pieces of canvas (big enough to drape over the kobold's living area entrance and to use as makeshift carpets)
- Anything else Vaank thinks is important
- a couple bottles of ale (as a surprise for the kobolds)

Depending on if Vermithrax stumbles into an encounter or Vaank brings him unexpected news (or kills him in his sleep) I think that covers everything until he is set to walk into the town and buy supplies/talk to the townsfolk.

Eonn
2016-05-31, 04:20 PM
It takes a few days, but eventually the kobolds gather enough gold for the supplies you need. You head off to Steelton that day. You make great time by air, but the last few miles to town almost double the time it take you to get there. Regardless, you eventually arrive at the city's western gate.

Just as you begin to think that your travel was completely uneventful, as arrow flies in your direction from the atop city's dark stone walls. It is a few yards off, however.

"Last warning!" Shouts a voice from the wall. "If you or your greenskin friends come here again, we'll hang your wretched corpse from our walls!"

Vaank would also suggest getting some forge tools and leatherworking supplies.

AS far as numbers go, this will be what you will be getting (assuming you can get in, of course):

1 pick and helmet for every kobold miner
1 blanket for each kobold
1 set of flint and steel
20 square yards of canvas
1 set of forge tools
1 set of leatherworking supplies
5 gallons of ale
1 healer's kit

Is this ok?

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-05-31, 05:11 PM
"Hello! I come in peace. Please hold your fire. I'm looking for trade. I'm not an Orc - least not fully. May I please approach? I am unarmed" he yells out. "I can pay for supplies." he adds.

It occured to Vermithrax that at a distance a half-orc probably looks like an orc and from Vaank's description, orcs probably weren't good neighbors on the island. He hoped he could talk some sense into these guards or this would be a short trip.

Diplomacy (if applicable): [roll0]

seems fine - just hope the shopping list isn't moot.

Eonn
2016-06-02, 02:38 PM
The guard on the wall disappears for a moment, likely to confer with a superior. When he returns, he shouts down to you;

"If you are alone and unarmed, you may approach the gatehouse!"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-02, 02:43 PM
Vermithrax keeps his arms raised and slowly approaches the gate, careful not to make any sudden moves.

Eonn
2016-06-06, 11:07 AM
A guards steps out of the gatehouse. He is well equipped, wearing a set of chainmail and bearing a longsword and a heavy steel shield. He was likely supposed to search you, but you'll likely never know for sure; for before door closed behind him a javelin flew from the treeline and pierced the guard through the stomach.

"Treacherous... greenskin..." The guard grunted as the life drained from his eyes and he collapses to the ground.

An alarm is raised by the wall's defenders as a battle cry sounds from the treeline. A few dozen orcs hollar and bash their weapons against their shields, while twice their number of poorly equipped kobolds stand petrified in the front rank. A crude covered battering ram lumbers towards the gate your standing by. Rocks are loosed by catapult from deeper in the forest, while camouflage covering is dropped from three ballistae positions as the edge of the tree line.

The defenders are not firing on you, but that's more so do to the bad firing angle they have while their so close to the wall. The attackers fire indiscriminately towards the wall, and you may find yourself in the crossfire at any time.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-06, 09:30 PM
Vermithrax looks both left and right and mumbles in an embarrassed sing-song tone "weeeeellllll, this is a mite bit awkwaaard. Mother told me there would be days like these." He chided himself for a brief moment for not scouting better. He looked to the now dead guard to protest his innocence, but it was far too late.

Vermithrax's form alters and wavers as he assumes his natural form. He flies toward the orc attackers. "Kobolds rise up against your former masters, join me in freedom! Kill the orcs!" he screams.

Actions:

Standard Action : Change back to dragon form

Move action : Fly towards the orcs/siege equipment - about 15 feet off the ground. Should be able to move about 170-180 feet forward to find a suitable target.

If a ballesta/ram is in range (and not manned by a kobold) he will use a free action to breath on it (quickened breath).

If a ballesta/ram is manned by a kobold he will try to find a clump of orcs to breath on instead, taking care not to hit any kobolds.

If Vermithrax isn't in range to breath on anything, he'll take a second to try and identify the leader of the group as he moves closer.

If applicable :

Breath attack : [roll0] DC 28 - 30 ft cone
recovery time : [roll1] (+4 recovery from quickened breath)

I hope how I've explained my actions it makes vague sense.

Priorities in rough order:

1.) Don't kill kobolds
2.) destroy nearest siege equipment
3.) flame a pack of orcs (if killing siege engine is not viable)
4.) find the leader

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-06, 10:11 PM
OOC:

Almost forgot, anyone Vermithrax flies over or anyone within 90 feet of where Vermithrax breathes fire is subject to frightful presence via the 'awakened frightened presence' feat.

DC 17 will save for [roll0] rounds.

creatures less than 4 hd will be panicked for the duration.
creatures 5 hd and over will be shaken for the duration.

Eonn
2016-06-07, 10:22 PM
The battle grinds to a swift halt as everyone stares at you. Then, at you command, the kobolds turn and begin carving into the shins of the orcs with their rusted weaponry. A half dozen kobold scurry out from the battering ram to join their comrades as they raise their voices in a resounding cry for freedom. The orcs don't hesitate long after the kobold rally, and it is clear that despite the numerical advantage of the kobolds (and the demoralizing sight of you overhead), they will eventually be overwhelmed.

On the other hand, the orcs manning the ballistae have set their sights on you. Aiming at a target moving as quickly as you seems to be difficult for them, but it's only a matter of time before one of the shots strike true. Should you land, your liable to take several hits.

Unleashing your breath on the ballistae would save your own hide, but the kobolds need help or they may be killed or route. Alternatively, finding and killing their leader would be a huge blow to moral and throw the attacking force into utter chaos.

The humans in the city have no idea what's going on, and have ceased firing.

A spot check of DC:20 will allow you to find the leader.
He's standing back from the fight, away from both the melee and the ballista positions. He's alone, but well equipped.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-08, 12:17 AM
Vermithrax wasn't sure if a ballesta could hit him. Probably eventually, he decided. However the kobolds 'rebellion' would be short lived if the odds weren't evened up immediately. He pushed the notion of destroying a ballesta out of his mind for a brief moment despite his reservations.

At a distance it seemed all the Orcs looked the same and he was unable to pick out the leader.

Vermithrax will try to breath on a clump of orcs and do his best not to hit any kobolds.

Spot check : [roll0]

Eonn
2016-06-09, 12:51 PM
You strafe, unleashing hell on the orcs. Because of your dip in altitude and speed, as well as a predictable flight pattern for just a moment, each ballistae is able to unleash a relatively accurate bolt towards you. Regardless, all but the orcs nearest the kobolds are incinerated by your breath. Between you flying over head and their sudden loss of reinforcements, the orcs start to be pushed back by the spirited kobolds.

4 shots, coming your way. All are ranged touch attacks.
Attack: [roll0];[roll1];[roll2];[roll3]
Damage: [roll4];[roll5];[roll6];[roll7]
Crit 19-20
Confirm: [roll8];[roll9];[roll10];[roll11]
Bonus: [roll12];[roll13];[roll14];[roll15]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-09, 09:42 PM
Vermithrax was startled by the near-miss of one of the bolts. "Yikes, two feet to the left and that could have ruined my day." he thought to himself. "Least the kobolds are on a better footing. As soon as I clean up some of these siege weapons, I can help them a bit more."

"Fool! you dare attack the Great Vermithrax, lord of fires? I will burn you all and wallow in your ashes!"

He flies in a weaving circular pattern about twenty feet off the ground, doing his best to remain elusive for the ballestas. Vermithrax swoops down over one of the orcs working a ballesta and bites at his head.

Vermithrax will fly towards one of the ballestas in a round about circular path and attack the orc manning it with a 'flyby attack'. He'll launch the attack at the midpoint of his movement for the round and not stop or slow down as to make himself a constantly moving target.

Fly by Attack:

Attack : [roll0]
Damage (Bite) : [roll1]

Note: This would provoke an AoO from anyone within arms reach of the orc or the orc itself if it survives.

Eonn
2016-06-10, 09:54 PM
You bite the orc's head clean off, the taste of it's blood foul in your mouth. You expect to have to evade more shots from the siege equipment, but it seems the other operators have decided that it would be a better idea to turn tail and run. The kobolds also have overwhelmed their fearful foes with their greater numbers, and roar triumphantly as the last few survivor break from combat to follow their allies into the forest.

With a break in the action, you notice that there are dozens of archer now lining the walls of the city, as well a few more ballistas. While they all seem prepared to fire, the are holding back and simply observing for now.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-10, 11:49 PM
Vermithrax spits out the head of the orc and it lands with a loud thunk on the ground. "Gather up and tend to the wounded" Vermithrax calls down to the kobolds. "Set up some lookouts in case those beasts come back. We'll move out shortly if you want to join your brother kobolds under my protection. Vaank would be happy to welcome you." he suggests. he circles high above head to confirm for sure the orcs are in full retreat.

Vermithrax lands near the koblds and motions for them to stay put. He then shifts back into a half-orc and moves slowly towards the gate with his hands up showing he was unarmed. He holds up his supply list.

"I mean you no harm. Those orcs are no friends of mine. I just need to buy some supplies. Apparently I now have some siege equipment I can sell to you as well." He motions over his shoulders.

Eonn
2016-06-14, 12:29 PM
From atop the wall, you hear some guards arguing.

"We are not letting that monster in!" The first says.
"Does it matter? If he wants in, he'll fly in. I'd rather not piss him off." The second counters.
"...Fine!" The first relents. An order to open the gate is given, and you are allowed into the city.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-15, 08:50 AM
"oh hey, check over the bodies for anything of value. " he calls back to the kobolds.

Vermithrax makes his way into the city, keeping his hands where they can be seen. He asks for directions to the nearest shop or supply house to begin his trades.

"Do you have frequent trouble with orcs ? " he asks one of the guards as he passes. " Even without their kobold slaves they may come back another day. I wasn't able to kill as many as I would have liked. I'll have to remedy that next time. I think we have a common enemy in those orcs. Not trying to pretend to be your best friend or take over or anything. Just would like some fair trades. I can pay proper market rates. " he says trying to keep everyone calm.

Vermithrax will also offer up any left behind siege weapons as a sign of good faith and buy more supplies for the ever growing kobold population -assuming they don't run off.

Eonn
2016-06-16, 12:30 PM
"They usually only hassle traders and supply caravans, but they've been getting more brazen recently. Not a problem for us if you want to hunt them down. We're actually paying out a bounty on them, 1 gold coin for a head. More for the more dangerous ones. You ought to check in at the captain's office to claim for what you killed out there." The guard replies. If your planning on getting supplies for the new kobolds, some extra money might be necessary.

The civilians seem wary around you, but you don't think they have been informed about the details of skirmish by the gates. You are able to find everything you are looking for from your original list for a reasonable price, but you cannot provide for the new kobolds without a bit more money.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-17, 02:34 AM
Vermithrax nods at the guard. One gold per orc didn't seem like a lot to Vermithrax. Then again, it might secure enough food and water to hold any new kobolds over for a day. The kobold hunters back at the cave should be able to provide enough food going forward. He seemed content with this reasoning. He scratched his chin in thought.

After securing his trades, Vermithrax wanders over to find the captain's office.

" Hello? I'd like to discuss the bounty on the orcs or any other terrible beasts in the area for that matter. Also do you have any leads on where the orcs might be holed up? I'd prefer to clean them up as they seem a nuisance."

Eonn
2016-06-19, 01:11 PM
Flipping through a mountain of paperwork, the sole receptionist of the offices doesn't even glance up as you enter. The only acknowledgement he gives you is a halfhearted wave to a cork board hanging on a nearby wall. Nailed to it is several sheets of parchment, each detailing a bounty on what seems to be the more dangerous orcs the locals have been having problems with. Most of the bounties are fairly low, likely placed on villains that aren't that dangerous, but a few of the more rewarding contracts catch your eye.

Orc male, ~7' tall, Heavily scarred forearms.
CAUTION: Dangerous martial fighter. Favors a spiked chain.
CRIMES: Assault, Murder, Taking and Distributing Slaves

Wanted Dead, a reward of 5,000 gold coins upon confirmation of the deed.
Last seen driving slave caravans to the eastern mountains

Orc male, ~6'6", Visibly older than most orcs live to be.
CAUTION: Usually guarded. Commands magic from a foul god. Able fighter. Unusually cunning.
CRIMES: Masterminding Attacks and Raids, Murder, Arson

Wanted Dead, a reward of 10,000 gold coins upon confirmation of the deed.
Highly elusive. Location unknown.

Goblin female, -3', usually setting things ablaze
CAUTION: Commands powerful arcane magic, specifically fire.
CRIMES: Many, many counts of Arson, Murder and Mayhem

Wanted Dead, a reward of 5,000 gold coins upon confirmation of the deed.
Last seen accompanying a orc raiding party.

Kobold, ~3', Black scales
CAUTION: Combat ability unknown
CRIMES: Blackmail, Bribery, Burglary, Larceny, Pickpocketing, Robbery, Smuggling, Tax Evasion, Theft, Vandalism, Loitering

Wanted Alive, a reward of 500 1,000 2,000 5,000 10,000 50,000 gold coins upon being delivered into custody.
Highly elusive. Last seen in Bastion.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-20, 02:44 AM
Vermithrax mulled over the possible bounties on the board carefully. They all seemed to have potential. The kobold thief and the goblin mage were especially interesting. Not so much for their bounties but as hirelings or slaves.

He pushed those thoughts out of his head for now. It would require too much patience and luck to find and enlist their aid. Vermithrax prefered something more straightforward for now, at least until he was finished setting up his mini-fiefdom. The goblin arsonist would likely get bored and burn down the forest and the thief sounded like a malcontent that might be bold enough to steal from a dragon. Anyone who was worth a constantly escalating bounty of up to 50,000 coins with a listed crime of 'loitering' and 'vandalism' was likely a handful and a half.

No, perhaps this 'Grimbane, the chain master' was more Vermithrax's speed. He spent a few minutes memorizing the details of the bounties and made rough plans in his head to try and find this Grimbane fellow and his caravan.

"Thanks for your time." Vermithrax said as he left the office.

Vermithrax finished gathering his gear and heads back outside the town. He does his best to gather up any waiting kobolds. (assuming they all have not run off)

"Hello, I am Vermithrax, lord of fire. You are all welcome to join me. We have food, shelter, fresh water and some measure of protection. If you choose not to follow me, I would understand. However the orc threat hasn't been completely eliminated. If you are out on your own, or in a small group, you would be easy prey for the orc slavers that still roam these lands. "

Vermithrax heads back towards his lair.

Do any of these kobolds have black scales ?

For that matter, do any of the kobolds back at the lair have black scales?

Eonn
2016-06-24, 09:39 PM
With the money from the orcs you have slain today, you are able to purchase enough gear for the new kobolds, who remain where they were. They have taken up the weapons of their former masters, and now bear oversized weaponry and piecemeal armor. The kobolds are weary and downtrodden, never meeting your gaze as you address them. Many glance towards mounds and crude marker which denote the final resting place of their fellow (now former) slaves.

They follow you, or maybe they are just returning to the warrens regardless of where you are heading, but you end up in the same place. The newly liberated kobolds eagerly reunite with their peers, and their spirits finally begin to rise as the ale you purchased for them is passed around. Vaank comes to you with plans for a second feast, planning to pull from the meager, though steadily growing food stores. With the slaves new freedom, as well as the mine's production being effectively doubled from proper tools and increased kobold-power, there is plenty to celebrate.

If your planning to make inquires about Grimbane, you should do it before they get too drunk though.

None of the kobolds you've seen have black scales. Most have some shade of copper or an imperfect red.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-06-25, 11:53 AM
Vermithrax's ego was minorly bruised when the kobolds didn't immediately idolize and celebrate him for their new freedom. "Perhaps it will take a little more time to win them over - after all they must feel like they trade one terrible master for another and I suspect their day thus far has been difficult" He thought to himself.

"A feast is a great idea Vaank. I think they could use it after their ordeal. Make sure we send out enough hunters tomorrow to compensate for the extra mouths to feed. You know, on general principle we should be having a feast once a week, to ensure everyone is relaxed and recharged. I expect to be away tomorrow and am not sure when I will be back. You may want to increase the number of guards and increase the patrol sizes for the near future. We made some enemies today and they weren't fully vanquished - yet. After I deal with the caravan master, we'll see about cleaning up the force of orcs I routed earlier today. If the guards are too idle and getting bored, have them work on building more traps in the northern passage." Vermithrax says. He passes an ale to one of the newcomers and gives him a moment to drink.

"Tomorrow I'll be hunting Grimbane - the chainmaster. I understand he is leading a caravan to the east. Do you folk have any information that could help me track him down or what I might be up against or how far he may have gotten or where he is taking the caravan to?"

Vermithrax waits for some kind of answer as he plotted his next moves.

Eonn
2016-06-30, 09:40 PM
Vaank nods dutifully as he scribbles down a few notes before heading off to oversee preparations.

"Grimbane? The slave master?" The kobold hisses. "Gah! Hate him! He stupid clever. Paid off guards in small human towns, gives them money to take away the criminals." He leans towards you and whispers the next part, as if someone in the room was still loyal to the slavers. More likely is that the alcohol was beginning to get to him.

"I hear lotsa people in nearby town get arrested for petty crimes, but are never seen again. Could point it out on a map for you."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-07-02, 06:31 AM
Vermithrax frowned to himself. He had been hoping for directions to Grimbane but it sounded like he would have to deal with more humans first.

"Directions to the town? I assume you don't know where Grimsbane might be now. Oh well at least it's a start. I guess I shouldn't be surprised the humans selling out their own. No sense of loyalty. Please do show me what you know!"

After getting the relevant information he says " You must be starving, Go hassle Vaank to get you some food and make yourself comfortable. You are home now and things are going to get better."

Just have a few questions. I'm considering a couple different approaches but just need to know the following so there isn't any incorrect assumptions on my end and get myself into deep trouble:

1.) Can I breath fire in my humanoid mode?

2.) Do my stats stay the same in the altered form?

3.) Am I able to take on another form besides half-orc, such as human (or kobold) ? (If I'm limited to one, I'll stick with half-orc)

Eonn
2016-07-05, 02:32 PM
With a piece of charcoal, the kobold draws a crude map of the surrounding area on a flat rock. It's nothing exact, but you should be able to find the town now. The kobold then thanks you and scurries off to fill his stomach, likely for the first time in awhile.

1&2- Yes. Otherwise you'd just be ECL 1 vs CL ~10 things
3- For now, you can only take your half orc form but you'll be able to get more as you grow.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-07-06, 04:55 AM
Vermithrax ate some food and celebrated with the newly freed kobolds. Before the hour got too late, Vermithrax tracked down Vaank again and says "Vaank, I might be gone longer than I thought, maybe as long as two weeks. Can you manage without me? Also start working on a new list of supplies we might need for when I get back..As always while I'm gone, stay out of my chamber" He smiles.

Vermithrax retreats to his personal chamber after about two hours of celebrating. He looks around for some place to stash his gold ring and realizes he has little 'furniture' to hide it under. He ensures he isn't being watched and then buries the gold ring into the pile of silver rings.

"Best place to hide a tree is in the forest" he thinks to himself, quoting an old dragon parable.

The following morning, after a fitful sleep, Vermithrax eats a large meal. He leaves the cave, heading towards the human village. He lands a few miles away, transforms into his half-orc form and walks the rest of the way to the village. He moves slowly, unsure how the humans might react to a half-orc approaching their village.

Re questions: Thanks - thought so.