PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dwarfling: A D&D 5e Half Breed Race Idea

bunnynoah
2016-05-11, 08:44 PM
I've always loved dwarves with a passion in any fantasy game/setting. In some ways they're like me (Except height, I'm quite tall). I also like halflings and can say they're like me in a sense. It wouldn't seem unlikely that two of the smallest common races "get together" and have what I like to call, dwarflings:

Dwarflings carry the resilience of their dwarven parent and the positive attitude and blithe outlook of their halfling one. Males tend to sport beards that cover the chin and sides and don't touch their upper lip. Females tend to do creative things with their hair, like braids that connect in the middle. They tend to have brown, blond, and red hair with blue or green eyes. Though they are quite sociable, they make great monks for their steadfast abilities and relatively calm demeanor.

Total Score. [5.5]
Ability Score Increase. [3] You're fast yet durable. Your Dexterity is increased by 2 and your Constitution is increased by 1.
Size. [-.5] Your taller and bulkier than a halfling, but shorter and skinnier than a dwarf. Your size is small.
Speed. [-.5] Your base speed is 25 feet.
Lucky. [.5] You're lucky for your halfling blood. When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.
Brave. [.5] Your duel heritage makes you brave. You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Small and Nimble [.5] Your size is a benefit. You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.
Dwarven Resilience. [.5] Your dwarven blood strengthens you. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Darkvision. [.5] You see with dwarven eyes. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Dwarfling Insight. [.5] Since you're a half breed, the world treats you differently. You've learned to communicate more cleverly as a result. You have proficiency in the Insight skill.
Languages. [.5] You can speak, read, and write Common, Halfling, and Dwarvish.

So that's that for this race! If you have a suggestion or criticism, please let me know!

Venardhi
2016-05-11, 08:57 PM
The extra language is a [.5] as well.

Nothing overly exciting here but it does exactly what you set out for. I'd personally add an option between two proficiencies related to Dwarven and Halfling cultures, but other than that I'm rather keen on it.

bunnynoah
2016-05-11, 09:03 PM
Ah, I forgot to add the language, thanks for the catch! As for the cultural ability, perhaps either choose stonecunning and some sort of halfling tradition. Any ideas?

Venardhi
2016-05-11, 09:11 PM
Halflings don't have a proficiency so that complicates things. Perhaps relate it to being a half-breed among one or the other proud and ancient cultures and being an obvious outsider in either. Such an individual would need to develop cunning social skills resulting in something like a proficiency in insight for example.

bunnynoah
2016-05-11, 09:14 PM
Good point, I'll see what I can think up in specifics. Thanks for the help so far.

bunnynoah
2016-05-11, 09:48 PM
Just added Dwarfling Insight to the list. I think we are almost solid here.