PDA

View Full Version : Low investment way to silence/still all spells?

Zanos
2016-05-11, 10:08 PM
I think the flavor of magical effects just kind of happening by force of will rather than gestures and words pretty cool, so I'm wondering if there's a relatively cheap way to still and silence everything you cast.

Other than playing a psionic character. :smalltongue:

Droopy McCool
2016-05-12, 12:55 AM
I almost just said "play a Psion." But I guess I just did...

And I can only think of taking the appropriate feats. But that's not low investment or the answer you wanted. Sorry. :smallredface:

McCool

Zanos
2016-05-12, 01:13 AM
I almost just said "play a Psion." But I guess I just did...

And I can only think of taking the appropriate feats. But that's not low investment or the answer you wanted. Sorry. :smallredface:

McCool
I'm okay with taking the feats, I'm not okay with +2 spell adjustment. And cheaper is better.

Crake
2016-05-12, 01:16 AM
I don't think there's any means short of getting automatic silent/still in epic levels. Admittedly if you really want to play a wizard and not a psion, you could emulate an eidetic spellbook wizard with a StP Erudite?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-05-12, 01:17 AM
Easy answer: play a beguiler. They get exactly this as class features.

Slightly more difficult answer: take easy metamagic (dragon 325) for both still and silent spell. It's four feats but it gets the desired result.

Droopy McCool
2016-05-12, 01:22 AM
One or two more suggestions found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?61622-Metamagic-Level-Adjustment-Reduction), which I found with a Google search.

McCool

Bakkan
2016-05-12, 01:26 AM
One level of Runesmith (Races of Stone) will allow you to Still all your spells at the cost of one class level and race choice (Dwarf, which isn't bad at all), and you must have heavy armor proficiency.

One level of Geometer (Complete Arcane) will allow you to Silent all your spells at the cost of one class level.

Arcane Thesis would do this, but only for one spell, so it will likely only work for you if you're playing a Shadowcraft Mage.

Edit:

Slightly more difficult answer: take easy metamagic (dragon 325) for both still and silent spell. It's four feats but it gets the desired result.

Easy Metamagic won't work, since it can't reduce spell slot level adjustment below +1.

Bullet06320
2016-05-12, 01:44 AM
Dark Scholar Prc from The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde
if you choose the Book of the Stilled Tongue ability, you get to cast spells two or more levels lower than your maximum spell level with out verbal components, so that's silence spell for most your spells

Ger. Bessa
2016-05-12, 04:56 AM
If you're a changeling, recaster grants you that at the cost of a spellcasting level (which is bad). But you get metamagic goodness and spells out of your list on the four following levels and chibi-archmage powers. Also, eschew material components. (Races of Eberron)

Edit : It's not "everything", it's "enough for whenever you'll really need it". If you want it for fluff, it probably won't be enough.

Psyren
2016-05-12, 02:59 PM
Other than playing a psionic character. :smalltongue:

1) Play a psychic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/psychic-magic) character instead.

2) Play a different kind of magic-user entirely, like Incarnum, Binding or Shadowcasting (+ Still Mystery).

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-12, 03:12 PM
One level of Runesmith (Races of Stone) will allow you to Still all your spells at the cost of one class level and race choice (Dwarf, which isn't bad at all), and you must have heavy armor proficiency.

One level of Geometer (Complete Arcane) will allow you to Silent all your spells at the cost of one class level.
Incidentally, this is an awesome combination. "Screw fiddly bits, I have math!"

Demidos
2016-05-12, 03:19 PM
There is the 3.5 race Phaerimm, which are approximately giant flying sea anenomes that get sorcerer casting as well as all spell treated as SLAs, which would accomplish what you were looking for. Incidentally, they're kinda ridiculously overpowered. ESPECIALLY with LA buyoff. :smalltongue: See if you can get some sort of deal from your DM to give you just the silent/still thing as a +2 LA after showing him these then buy it off eventually.

Troacctid
2016-05-12, 03:21 PM
Geometer doesn't actually do it for free, FWIW. You have to pay 25 gp per spell level each time you use the ability, and each spell you want to cast that way takes an extra hour to prepare.

Anthrowhale
2016-05-12, 03:41 PM
1) Arcane Thesis[Arcane Fusion] + Silent Spell + Still Spell allows you to cast two known spells L4- and L1- that are (effectively) Still and Silent. The same approach applies to Greater Arcane Fusion, Limited Wish, Miracle, Wish, and that other 9th level spell for repeating spells that I forget.

2) Dweomerkeeper allows up to 4 spells/day to be cast that are effectively Still and Silent.

Krazzman
2016-05-12, 04:13 PM
Use the Oracle with the Deaf curse... gives you Free Silent Spell to every spell.

There are of course the "Sudden Metamagic Feats".

As well as ways to reduce Metamagic things available if you plan for it accordingly.

KillingAScarab
2016-05-13, 08:11 AM
2) Play a different kind of magic-user entirely, like Incarnum, Binding or Shadowcasting (+ Still Mystery).I either like the way you think, or I like Incarnum too much. Possibly both. It isn't necessary to forgo normal spellcasting. Once per day you can utilize midnight metamagic from Magic of Incarnum to apply metamagic feats you know without increasing the level of particular spells. The feat grants a point of essentia, so you only need to find one more point somewhere. However, assuming you have normal essentia capacity, it isn't until 6th level when you can invest two points of essentia into the same receptacle (this feat, in this case).

There are of course the "Sudden Metamagic Feats".You may also use metamagic rods (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#metamagicRods). There isn't one for still spell in the SRD, but it shouldn't be difficult to come up with one.

1) Play a psychic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/psychic-magic) character instead.If Pathfinder is in play, then see below.

Use the Oracle with the Deaf curse... gives you Free Silent Spell to every spell.Just make sure you look into (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?381071-Oracle-Deaf-Curse-questions) ways to communicate with the party. Such as a chalkboard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/books-paper-writing-supplies#TOC-Chalkboard).

IcarusWulfe
2016-05-13, 08:54 AM
A Wu Jen can apply Still or Silent spell for free to one of their spells with Spell Secret

Inevitability
2016-05-13, 09:32 AM
Depending on your definition of 'low investment', the Practical Metamagic feat may qualify.

Rijan_Sai
2016-05-13, 12:36 PM
A couple other options, just to throw some things out there:

(While not "Still" or "Silent" exactly...)
Planar Handbook (Pg 40) has Nonverbal Spell (feat), which allows you to disguise the verbal component as some other sound.

Complete Adventurer (Pg 108) has Disguise Spell (feat), basically the same thing for Bards, hiding their casting into their performances.

Complete Scoundrel (Pg 85) has Conceal Spellcasting (skill trick), which lets you make an opposed Sleight of Hand check to completely hide your casting from (an) onlooker(s).

Komatik
2016-05-13, 01:55 PM
There is the 3.5 race Phaerimm, which are approximately giant flying sea anenomes that get sorcerer casting as well as all spell treated as SLAs, which would accomplish what you were looking for. Incidentally, they're kinda ridiculously overpowered. ESPECIALLY with LA buyoff. :smalltongue: See if you can get some sort of deal from your DM to give you just the silent/still thing as a +2 LA after showing him these then buy it off eventually.

Just read the entry. My god. So, to get this straight, say, a Phaerimm Hatchling Cleric (Aberration 1/Cleric N) would cast as both Cleric N and Sorcerer N+1? :D

Kelb_Panthera
2016-05-13, 05:36 PM
Just read the entry. My god. So, to get this straight, say, a Phaerimm Hatchling Cleric (Aberration 1/Cleric N) would cast as both Cleric N and Sorcerer N+1? :D

And then you remember that mystic theurge is a thing and confusion ensues.

Melcar
2016-05-14, 10:34 AM
Well I know of two ways. One is the epic level ways of getting the auto-still/silent thing... The other involves a 3rd party prestige class called the Arcane Avatar - from Quintessential Wizard.

One of the class abilities is that it allows for one or two of your metamagic feats to cost two or one level less respectively. So you could either have all spells be empowered without raising the level or have the all be still and silent, at no higher level.

My level 31 wizard has this class (yes we play with obscure 3rd party too) and have chosen still and silent. In the beginning it was fluff, but i have since found it to be very very powerful especially with eschew material. Hold Person you say... so what... I cast anyways. Elemental body... sure... no spell failure for me!!!

Necroticplague
2016-05-14, 03:49 PM
There are some races that can cast their spells like this. Sharn and Phaerimm cast all their spells as SLAs, and are thus effectively automatically stilled,silenced, and eschew materials'd. A bit of LA and RHD for both of those (I think Hatchling Phaerimm is the cheapest, ECL 4), though.