PDA

View Full Version : Multi-attack

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-11, 11:11 PM
Not sure if 5e does this or if it's covered somewhere in 3.5 I was debating breaking up a multiattack through out the turn order. I didn't want one person to eat all the damage.

Instead maybe at the start of combat I bite player A, then Player Bs turn, Players Cs turn, , Player Ds turn, claw player c, Player Es turn, player As turn

Does this seem like it would balance the fight more? By homebrewing this in I figured I could make combat a bit more fun this way. Unsure on opinions or possible rules in existence for this.

Necroticplague
2016-05-11, 11:23 PM
Are you sure this is the right part of the board? In 3.5, Multiattack just reduce secondary natural weapon penalties, and isn't any kind of attack on it's own. It would also seem kinda unfair to single out only natural attacks for this treatment, at the very least, all methods of multiple attacks should get it.

That being said, if you want concrete mechanical feedback, you're gonna need to provide more concrete mechanics. Just eyeballing, it seems like it would strongly support "one massive blow" attackers, because the way this works means that many enemies could simply step out of range after the fgirst or second attack, making attacks past that superfluous.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-05-11, 11:23 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly that seems unnecessarily complicated. Just split the monsters attacks out among the party instead of focusing on one character and you'll get the exact same effect.

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-11, 11:30 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly that seems unnecessarily complicated. Just split the monsters attacks out among the party instead of focusing on one character and you'll get the exact same effect.

This I just don't trash one person's hp at the start of combat and maybe get lucky and crit him out of the fight. I just wasn't sure if it had a rule somewhere for it. If not I'm gonna end up homebrewing it in.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-05-12, 07:51 AM
It seems to me like you should thoroughly reread the combat section of the PHB because you're clearly misunderstanding how things work. House rules brought about from misunderstandings are likely to cause more problems than what they were intended to solve.

Edit: also give the section in the DMG on building encounters a read while you're at it. Balancing encounters is not easy.

Telonius
2016-05-12, 11:39 AM
The rule is covered in the Actions in Combat section of the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullAttack):

Full Attack
If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks. You do not need to specify the targets of your attacks ahead of time. You can see how the earlier attacks turn out before assigning the later ones.

(Emphasis added). If more than one enemy is within reach of your attacks, you can split up the attacks however you like.