PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] Confused about the Underhanded Rogue Talent

Wonton
2016-05-11, 11:16 PM
Underhanded (Ex):

A rogue with this talent gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all Sleight of Hand checks made to conceal a weapon. Furthermore, if she makes a sneak attack during the surprise round using a concealed weapon that her opponent didn’t know about, she does not have to roll sneak attack damage, and the sneak attack deals maximum damage.

Sleight of Hand:

Drawing a hidden weapon is a standard action and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity.

Quick Draw:

You can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move action.

Am I missing something or is Underhanded impossible to use? Even with Quick Draw, you can only draw a hidden weapon as a Move action, and then you no longer have a Standard action to attack with in the surprise round.

Sayt
2016-05-11, 11:34 PM
Well, there is the Betrayer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/betrayer)feat, and the Lookout Teamwork Feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/lookout-combat-teamwork).

Geddy2112
2016-05-12, 12:08 AM
I think in this case you are taking hidden(mechanic) to equal concealed(hidden from opponent). To get the sneak attack max damage, your opponent simply did not need to know you had the weapon. This means if they did not know you were there, they did not know the weapon was there. This means if they can see you but not the weapon, and once you use it in the surprise round max sneak attack. It could be subtle, like a blaster under a table that you totally shot first in the surprise round.

Florian
2016-05-12, 12:25 AM
@Wonton:

You´re missing the difference between in-combat action and out-of-combat action.
As with abilities like assassinate, you can use all the relevant class features before actual combat starts and the surprise round gets handled, i.e. activate Studied Target, study the target, prep the concealed weapon, move in to assassinate/SA the target.

Triskavanski
2016-05-12, 12:45 AM
There is a few other ways as well..

Swordcane - With Quickdraw you draw this weapon as a swift action.

Wrist Crossbow/dart launcher - As you shoot this you make another slight of hand check to keep people from knowing it was there

Spring Loaded Wrist sheath, toe daggers, etc. There is also a lot of different kinds of spells and spell tattoos. Dirty Tactics Tool Box

Multiclassing and vigilante talents, you've got Warlock Bolts and the vigilante's version of quickdraw.

MortalSword
2016-05-12, 02:44 AM
I think the Bandit Archetype would be perfect for this. Get a move/standard/swift in the surprise round starting at level 4. Move in, QD your weapon of choice.

Layeth the smacketh down.