PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Most useless useful party member

Triskavanski
2016-05-12, 01:01 AM
I had an idea of a character who seems to be be oblivious to everything around them. Combat starts, and they're making roasted marshmallows or something else that seems completely inappropriate.

And yet, this actually turns out to be extremely helpful to the party. Like the Marshmellows are caught ablaze and thrown on the BBEBG covering him in sticky flaming goodness. Or bothering a random bad guy with questions about his physiology causing him to be distracted enough for the rogue to stab him multiple times.

Obviously a Bard is a good choice. Sitting around in battles strumming on his lute.

Florian
2016-05-12, 01:06 AM
Goblin Bard/Sorcerer mc with the appropriate fire-based racial feats maybe?

SethoMarkus
2016-05-12, 01:26 AM
Factotum abd Binder come to bindf or their sheer variety of abilities. Before you gave examples of flaming marshmallows I had the image of the iconic Drunken Monk in my head. Bard, as suggested, is good at assisting combat without joining combat. As with most things, I'm sure there's a way to do this with Wizard or Psion, perhaps using Still/Silent spell and roleplaying that the character is oblivious to their role in casting the spells/manifesting the powers?

Kurald Galain
2016-05-12, 01:55 AM
There's a number of luck abilities that can affect the combat without the lucky character actually doing anything. For example, halfling luck and the dual-cursed oracle.

There's also feats like Antagonize.

Barbarian Horde
2016-05-12, 02:01 AM
Vanilla monk...

Gildedragon
2016-05-12, 09:20 AM
Bard-Marshal with a lot of luck feats
Oh no marshals...
Bard-Oracle with luck and morale effects up the wazoo.

Seto
2016-05-12, 10:12 AM
Dumping Wisdom is a must for this concept, so any class that needs good Wisdom is right out. Maybe a luck-based character?

nedz
2016-05-12, 10:42 AM
A Beguiler would work.

"Oh don't they look ugly, lets prettify them up" ... Glitterdust.

etc.

Yanisa
2016-05-12, 11:46 AM
And yet, this actually turns out to be extremely helpful to the party. Like the Marshmellows are caught ablaze and thrown on the BBEBG covering him in sticky flaming goodness. Or bothering a random bad guy with questions about his physiology causing him to be distracted enough for the rogue to stab him multiple times.

I was reminded of "Combat Distraction (Goblin) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/combat-distraction-goblin)".

Which allows you to act like a lunatic and hinder the enemy, sort of. Sadly the penalty (-2 perception) is rather meh for a full round action.

Triskavanski
2016-05-12, 11:48 AM
I do have a character that I am playing that inspired me to make this one. We're not really using DnD/Pathfinder rules though, nor is the campaign really serious/deadly.

But yes, the character dumped wisdom. We got into combat with some bandits, and my character believes that the rest of the party is helping the bandits go to sleep. At least that is what she tells the party, and after a few minutes of back and forth banter about the differences between putting the enemies to sleep vs killing them, the party eventually gave up. Then my character makes some remark about going through their pockets (The 'sleeping' people) which she forgets what she said when the party is like "What?"

During the bandit battle after the bandits start catching on fire (after a grease spell made a few of them slip), she pulls out a stick and begins roasting marshmallows over the fire before going to the few not-on-fire bandits and asking them if they want a roasted marshmallow. The DM is pretty free with extra checks like intimidation from the whole 'roasting marshmallows on your buddy' thing.

Obviously a lot of this won't fly in a normal game. But some things in here could be good, like the glitter dust to make people fabulous. Or maybe a bard or Wizard who specializes in rainbow magic.

Spore
2016-05-12, 02:08 PM
I feel a Witch is the best example of something like that. Be it the standard Misfortune plus Cackle (snortlaughing like a pig) or a beguiling gift poisoned marshmellow. Any flashy spells or patrons are out. It's about sublety.

Deception: Ventroquilism with Bluff "It's me your stomach. I tell you to not attack these strangers. They could proof useful, even amiable."

Inevitability
2016-05-12, 02:19 PM
3.5 (well technically 3.0) had the Perform (Tea Ceremony) skill. It was technically possible to make a bard specializing in said skill, resulting in a character whose allies weapons' burst into flame when he serves them some tea.