PDA

View Full Version : Time Traveling In D&D 3.5

Bartmanhomer
2016-05-12, 03:20 PM
Is there time traveling in D&D 3.5? If so, how does that work?

2016-05-12, 03:37 PM
Dangerously. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b)

atemu1234
2016-05-12, 10:58 PM
Dangerously. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b)

Yeah, beyond that spell there isn't too much in first party.

Good third party material, there are Time Elementals from (I think Frog God Games? Maybe Necromancer?), and an entire elemental plane besides.

tropical_punch
2016-05-12, 11:59 PM
There's also the temporal prime/temporal energy plane, which was originally in 2E but got updated with the Manual of the Planes.

You've also got some psionic time hopping shennanigans, although that's somewhat limited.

And lastly I believe that any plane/demiplane can theoretically have time flow backwards compared to the Prime Material. So you can go back in time that way (create your own demiplane using genesis if you have to). And of course any plane could have time flow forwards at a slower rate than the Prime Material, which gets you into the future quite easily.

Be aware that there are inevitables dedicated to preventing anyone from screwing about with time, so they could well prove to be an issue. On the other hand, inevitables seem to be universally rubbish at their jobs, so you're probably fine.

Troacctid
2016-05-13, 12:27 AM
In most games, you automatically travel through time from the present to the future. :smallbiggrin:

HolyDraconus
2016-05-13, 01:28 AM
In most games, you automatically travel through time from the present to the future. :smallbiggrin:

Terrible. Just terrible.

OT: I actually have a campaign running with time travel in it ( with THAT spell specifically being botched.... twice) It lampshades events in this case, and makes characters (not players) more aware of an overarching theme. Without killing the story since I know atleast one of the players frequent here, it did bring the party together....

Heliomance
2016-05-13, 07:03 AM
There's also Forced Dream abuse with quintessence, as seen in the Save Game Trick and the Dream of Metal. Also while it's not strictly time travel, you can do some unpleasant things with Hindsight (see the Wire Coathanger).

Sorry for lack of links, posting on my phone.

Bronk
2016-05-13, 07:10 AM
There's also the 'Code of Reversion' that the spellweavers are trying to piece back together to restore their destroyed empire.

Inevitability
2016-05-13, 07:51 AM
Dragon Magazine has the Temporal Dragon, which is perhaps the strongest first-/second-party monster ever.

There's also the Temporal Drake (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031122a).

Eisfalken
2016-05-14, 12:55 AM
You'd think with the horrible outcomes of every time-traveling movie ever made, people would be wary of ever even trying to do it.

Draconium
2016-05-14, 01:06 AM
There's also the Temporal Drake (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20031122a).

Temporal Drakes don't time travel in the traditional sense, though. Instead of moving forwards or backwards in time directly, it's more like they move... diagonally, if that makes sense. They stay in the same relative time, but are affected by time differently, and they move slightly forwards and backwards as needed.

You'd think with the horrible outcomes of every time-traveling movie ever made, people would be wary of ever even trying to do it.

Well, most D&D settings don't really have the concept of "movies," so... :smalltongue:

Buufreak
2016-05-14, 02:42 AM
And of course any plane could have time flow forwards at a faster rate than the Prime Material, which gets you into the future quite easily.

Actually, you would want a plane where time moves slower. Stepping into a plane with accelerated time would only accomplish a much older you.

tropical_punch
2016-05-14, 11:27 PM
Crap you're right. I'll edit that.

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-15, 01:04 AM
An update of Chronomancer would be pretty cool...

HurinTheCursed
2016-05-15, 12:04 PM
Dragonlance supplement "Legend of the twins" specifically has a few spells that play with the river of time, allowing time travelling a few decades in each direction IIRC.

khadgar567
2016-05-15, 12:18 PM
there is this puppy (http://thyamath.com/donjons/[D20]Encyclopaedia_Arcane-Chronomancy.pdf) in third party

Âmesang
2016-05-15, 11:31 PM
DRAGON #350 touches on time travel, including the spell skillful moment that enables you to automatically Take 20 on a specified skill check the following round as a standard action.

I can't help but feels like it needs a bit of a rewrite, such as saying "the next time you perform the specified skill check before the end of your next turn" so as to enable one to utilize a quickened skillful moment and the skill check all in the same round without having to wait, and perhaps delete the standard action time requirement for using the skill for those skills that don't take actions (to perhaps better use it in conjunction with fabricate, epic spellcasting, or similar events that requires using a skill as part of another action).

Tvtyrant
2016-05-16, 04:56 AM
There is a psionics trick for it. Get a psionic item of time regression (a single use one will do). Now activate it until you are back where you want to be. Sadly you can only regress time back as far as you getting the item this way, but along with time hop it can let you time lord pretty well.

Alternatively get time regression as an Sla and go back to whenever you want.

atemu1234
2016-05-16, 07:48 AM
snip

I think that may violate forum rules on copyright, taking it down may be apt.

(For the record, it's Encyclopaedia Arcane - Chronology)

khadgar567
2016-05-16, 07:54 AM
I think that may violate forum rules on copyright, taking it down may be apt.

(For the record, it's Encyclopaedia Arcane - Chronology)

sorry for possible snark

atemu1234
2016-05-16, 04:50 PM
sorry for possible snark

Not the snark, it's a link to a pdf that is downloadable, and going by how it looks, it's not by the publisher.

ATHATH
2016-05-16, 09:04 PM
Time Wights were presented in an online article.

Inevitability
2016-05-17, 11:07 AM
Time Wights were presented in an online article.

Link (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20030620a) for the interested.

Trickquestion
2016-05-17, 12:38 PM
I know Pathfinder has the Outer Dragon, Time, that can jump to any point in time 3 times in their life, and take with them a number of other creatures equal to their charisma modifier. Not sure if that was in 3.5 originally or if they made that one up themselves.

tropical_punch
2016-05-21, 12:39 AM
3.5 Had it's own time dragons (from dragon mag, funnily enough - which is also Paizo), which are much more powerful than the Pathfinder ones. Including being able to time travel an unlimited number of times.