PDA

View Full Version : Request for build advice: Alchemist / Cavalier

Illogictree
2016-05-12, 05:17 PM
Hello, all.

I've got a strange build that I'm looking for advice on.

One of my fellow players in a planned technological Pathfinder game is looking to build a bomb-throwing anarchist biker type character. Currently we're looking at an alchemist / cavalier multiclass, using the ratfolk race. Now, this goes together a bit better than I expected, and I have a few ideas in mind already, but I'd still appreciate a bit of advice and input to make this a fun and useful character, and how to progress the build in the future.

Important info:

Starting at level 5, standard 15-point-buy character generation
Alternate racial features, class archetypes, and traits are disallowed
Low- to mid-optimization
Access to technological equipment (this is a sci-fi setting), so expect a lot of firearms and touch attacks. Our GM is looking into increasing the accessibility of tech equipment by re-pricing them.
Third-party resources on the d20pfsrd site are available to players
Our GM seems pretty open to refluffing and bending the rules a little.
We are assuming some downtime between adventures.

If you're wondering, the mount will be re-fluffed as a hoverbike for flavor. (Though if anyone has advice on actually getting a mechanical mount, that would be useful)

Also, as some kind of video game reference, the player wants to use the Order of Fortune (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/orders/flaming-crab-games/order-of-fortune) from Flaming Crab Games.

Here's the tentative list of build choices that I'm starting with:
Alchemist 3/Cavalier 2
Feats:

Mounted Combat
Boon Companion
Mounted Archery

Alchemist discoveries:

Acid Bomb or Explosive Bomb

Mount Feats:

Stable Gallop
Run
?

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice!

Florian
2016-05-13, 01:25 AM
Hm... tough one.

On the Cavalier side of things, Luring archetype and Order of the Eastern Star for some Psi vibe. Beast Rider archetyp for the exotic mount feature. Use the robot creation rules (The Divinity Drive) to recreate a Pegasus or Manticore into a robot mount.

I'm not all too sure about the Alchemist side of things. Instead of focusing on the bomb class feature, which sucks when multiclassing, I'd rather stick to regular grenades.

Geddy2112
2016-05-13, 11:59 AM
Without archetypes or alt race features, this is really tough. For stats on a 15 point buy, I would go 8/16/12/18/12/7. You could swap dex and int if you wanted to focus more on buffing and less on explosives. If you have your mount available most of the time dumping strength is an option and put saddlebags on your bike.

The key discovery you need from alchemist is explosive ammunition at level 4. Exposive bomb is okay, acid bomb is not. You might want force bombs if you expect ghosts in the setting. Frost bomb is probably the best elemental one.

Feats look good. Toughness is never bad for a mount

Illogictree
2016-05-13, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

So, would it be better to advance Alchemist, or Cavalier, or keep them about even?

Also, regarding the robot creation rules mentioned by Florian. I don't have access to any of the Adventure Path books. Are these rules available online anywhere?

Geddy2112
2016-05-13, 06:35 PM
With boon companion, I would do 2 levels in caviler and call it a day. Most of the higher level stuff does not work for a melee caviler and you can't take the luring caviler or any of the ranged archtypes. It will give you a level 6 companion, which has all the boons you need like evasion, an ability score increase, and devotion. Since you are using your mount as a means of transportation so long as you don't attack with it most DM's will respect that and attack you, not it. You have mounted combat and the ability to give it armor proficiency and boost ac through feats like dodge.

You want the rest of the levels of alchemist to increase your bomb damage and extracts. You might be able to fluff using extracts on a mechanical mount as additives to a gas tank or something.

here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/robot) are some robot rules. It would probably be easiest to just use the horse animal companion, give it the construct template, then add things like hover and remove the ability for it to move on its own, have attacks, etc.

Florian
2016-05-14, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

So, would it be better to advance Alchemist, or Cavalier, or keep them about even?

Also, regarding the robot creation rules mentioned by Florian. I don't have access to any of the Adventure Path books. Are these rules available online anywhere?

To really answer your question, itīs important to know whatīs planned for your campaign, which levels can be attained.

The Alchemist class is strictly dependent on all class features scaling with levels. Any dipping or multiclassing actually hurts the performance here, especially the extracts.

The cavalier side is a bit easier on this, as there are enough items and feats that can counteract this (Bracers of the Avenging Knight, Boon Companion, and so on) but you still will feel the delay other potentially important cals features like the Order or Standart.

Keep in mind that thereīs always Variant Multiclassing. If itīs only the bombs youīre after, tacking VMC Alchemist on a regular Cavalier should generate fine results.

As for the Hoverbike: The Beast Rider archetype I mentioned earlier can use regular Druid companions. Simply convert the type to Construct and then slap on the Robot subtype. Look at the already existing example robots for examples on how the statistics will look and what integrated weaponry is possible.
The basic rules for robots are in Bestiary 5, Divinity Drive has some supplemental rules.

Pesonally, Iīd base it on the Roc animal companion template, add 2x Chain Guns (instead of lasers) and give it the ability to hover.