PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. (Rabid) Wolverine

Rabiesbunny
2007-06-25, 09:04 PM
For those of you that watch wrestling, Chris Benoit and his family were found dead this weekend. This is not a storyline, it is quite real, and I don't think I've ever cried so hard before.

Chris Benoit was one of my favorite wrestlers, an amazing, amazing man. And now he's gone, and I can't get over it. I've never been this badly hurt by a death, beside my own mother's.

When I first got into wrestling in 2002, Benoit was my number one man. I loved any match he was in, and I was such a mark. Two years later a live show came to Duluth, and I remember that night so well. It was a night that I slipped on some ice as I was leaving the dormatory, and sprained my ankle. Within a few minutes it had swollen to twice it's size and I had to take off my boot. My friend asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital, but I said no.

The ice and snow were unpleasant with my bare foot, and any pressure on it hurt like hell. But I still went, with my boyfriend's help, and propped my feet up in the stands, and some staff brought me an icepack.

And despite this, it was an amazing time for me, because I got to see Benoit.

Really though, I didn't think I'd cry like I did when I found out he and his whole family were found dead. The thought of not being able to see Benoit wrestle ever again, and the great times I've had watching him.

Life sucks sometimes, huh?

Tharr
2007-06-25, 09:59 PM
The sad thing is people will say what is comic thread in section.
Great wrestler saw him this year after event in my home town.
Because he was waiting for his car we hung out for good while.
Played up alot of old four horseman and he surprised people recalled it.
Maybe we should focus on who killed his family that is horrible.
Real sad no Vince spoke because his own death about storyline.
From what fan said the rela event makes the fake death plain bad.
Like now heard the board was going to veto any more deaths plots now.

FdL
2007-06-25, 10:05 PM
(Hum...Was that previous post an acronym or something? 'Cause I didn't get it. Oh, I'll run the decoder program later.) :p

Anyway, it's sad news indeed that this wrestler died. But I get the impression that 90% of the people who read the title is going to think about the marvel comic book character.

So unless attracting unsuspecting readers to the sad demise of the aforementioned wrestler is an intended effect in order to support his cause, you should totally edit it.

J_Muller
2007-06-25, 10:11 PM
Tharr's English isn't so good. He's improved, though. Good job, Tharr.

Yeah, I originally thought here that it was the beloved and beclawed comic book character. You might want to edit that.

Tharr
2007-06-25, 10:13 PM
The post browser here throws your spaces around very badly. Real fast people should remember he and his family were found killed. For once this event will not ignored like heart attack of past because the superstars now have to pay for security off stage as well. Course people are steamed that retarded Vince had to fake his death still and now hope they get rid of the plot without getting people and sponsers mad.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-06-25, 10:16 PM
I hadn't watched WWE for a very long time; and when I did he was absolutely one of my favorites to watch. His intensity, dedication, and ability; beyond reproach. Chris Benoit; ye will be missed. It was good to see that McMahon dropped his own character's death storyline in respect to the Benoit family.

Setra
2007-06-25, 10:40 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit surprised.

I stopped watching wrestling a long time ago, but news like this is still a shock to me.

Catch
2007-06-25, 10:53 PM
First Eddie and now Chris.

What a shame.

Kitya
2007-06-26, 11:53 AM
You wanted to know how it could be worse, and that the police needed to find who did this... it's worse. It looks like he may have done it to himself and his family. I really hope not because, growing up in Saskatchewan, Benoit, and the Harts were my favorite wrestlers ever. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the autopsy says.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3315501&page=1

if you want the latest updates on the case.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-06-26, 01:41 PM
I'm almost physically sick over this.

*Sighs* the causes of death from the autopsy have been released.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6960688 if anyone is interested. Its...not easy to read.

Jibar
2007-06-26, 01:55 PM
I don't follow wrestling. Never have, never will really.
But reading that article...
That's something that's whole new areas of sadness.
I'm so sorry for what family are left, and I know what it can be like for fans.
I can see he really will be missed.

Nightwing
2007-06-26, 02:02 PM
Hello people! He just killed his 7-year old son and you are saying "Boy, I sure will miss that great man"

Jibar
2007-06-26, 02:05 PM
Please, show some respect.
Darker deeds have been done, and it is not our place to judge the deceased.

Nightwing
2007-06-26, 02:07 PM
He killed a 7 year old kid and your telling me to have some respect for him?

Rabiesbunny
2007-06-26, 05:31 PM
He was one of the most amazing technical wrestlers ever, and a man so many people looked up to.

What happened was absolutely horrible, gut-wrenchingly so. But that doesn't mean that despite whatever horrors he recently committed, for whatever reasons those are (which right now, noone is sure...), he wasn't an amazing man.

Hoggy
2007-06-26, 05:37 PM
It's possible to respect someone for what they did in their profession whilst not respecting their deeds outside of a job.

Kinda like me respecting Lar Ulrich as a musician but not as a person, I suppose it is possible to respect Chris Benoit as a wrestler but not as a person.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, but I can see how people those such as Rabiesbunny can still respect him, though I personally do not, and neither does Nightwing by the looks of things.

Sleep time.

psychoduck14
2007-06-26, 06:06 PM
or like Hitler (not comparing) I can respect him for his abilities as a leader but not for what he did, no matter what Chris did people will still miss and respect him.
R.I.P. Chris Benoit

Nightwing
2007-06-26, 06:16 PM
I have question Raibesbunney. Do you respect this man? I dont want "I respect this about him but I dont respect this". I want a yes or a no. Do you respect him or not?

Rabiesbunny
2007-06-26, 06:34 PM
Wow, you're being awfully abrasive about something that's extremely sensitive. :\ You know what?

Yeah, I respect him. Loads. Despite whatever mental problems he had at the end that led to this atrocity, he was an amazing wrestler, and he meant more to me than I had ever realized. His death hit me like Freddie Mercury's did when I was only 6.

So you can go ahead and say what you like. There are already far too many people making light of the situation because he was a wrestler, so it's really not surprising. Just because Benoit did something amazingly horrific at the end of his life due to whatever mental issues he had developed, does not affect once he once was. And that is what I can respect. Benoit before these things happened, not the Benoit who killed Woman (Boy I wish I could remember her real name) and Daniel.

Mr._Wilson
2007-06-26, 06:47 PM
I'm saddened at this story. Out of all the professional wrestlers, I don't think Benoit would have come any near the top 100 of those I'd suspect of snapping like he did.

Trying to juxtapose what others have said about him and these actions is difficult. Like any murder/suicide, you can only maddeningly question what happened to drive someone this far off the cliff.

It just makes no sense.

Nightwing
2007-06-26, 06:51 PM
So you are saying you respect same one that smothered a 7 year old. The kid was in first grade. He probably lost just lost his tooth. He killed the kid's mother right before the kids eyes and then He smothered him to death. His own son that he watch grow up. And you respect him?

Mr._Wilson
2007-06-26, 07:00 PM
So you are saying you respect same one that smothered a 7 year old. The kid was in first grade. He probably lost just lost his tooth. He killed the kid's mother right before the kids eyes and then He smothered him to death. His own son that he watch grow up. And you respect him?

First of all, I never mentioned respect in any of my statement. Second, the police report claim Benoit smothered his son in his bed while the mother was killed in a different room. We don't know if the child knew his mother was dead or not (I can only hope he didn't).

I simply was commenting on how someone who was so well respected in the eyes of fans and his peers snapped so unexpectedly.

Nightwing
2007-06-26, 07:01 PM
I was not talking to you.

Rama_Lei
2007-06-26, 07:05 PM
Nightwing, chill. Seriously. I don't know why this is so emotionally charged for you, but you need to calm down. These murders were not in cold blood, and the poor man was probably insane at the time. Either way, you need to back off.

Rabiesbunny
2007-06-26, 07:31 PM
Was I not clear enough in my post, Nightwing, that I did not respect the Benoit who committed murders and killed himself? Something drove him to that. Some mental instability, and that's extremely obvious.

It IS possible to respect what a person was, not what he ended up becoming. People change, as he did, and to approach this topic with all the grace of a two legged elephant is very insensitive of you.

Burrito
2007-06-26, 08:03 PM
I'm going to stand on a soapbox for a bit here....this won't be a happy post full of warm fuzzies.

I'm sorry; I just don't have any sympathy for this guy. He killed his 7 year old son?!?! He didn't shoot him in the head. HE SMOTHERED HIM WITH A PILLOW!!!!! You don't die right away from that. It probably took TWO to THREE MINUTES for his son to stop struggling!! Christalmighty! Can you imagine!!! That whole time the son is scared, panicked, and desperate for someone to help him. He has no clue why "Daddy is doing this to me." How long was it before his little arms stoped fighting against his dads? You can't say "Please stop daddy. Please help me, I can't breathe." When some monster is suffocating the life out of you. This child had no chance against any adult, let alone someone this guy’s size. Now he'll never have a chance at anything.

He was a (I was going to say father, but he lost his right to that title)parent, and as a parent it is your duty in life to see that your children are safe, cared for, loved and nurtured. A parent will gladly give up their life for that of their child. You do not kill your child! !@#$%!!! I was physically ill when I read that, and all the glowing praise for this (well, not human) sack of meat, just makes it worse.

I have a 3 year old boy and a 9 month old daughter. The thought of something sick like this happening to them makes me want to vomit. Child killers, child molesters, child abusers....need to be taken to a ditch somewhere, and have a bullet put in their heads. They aren't "sick", because being a souless, inhuman monster isn't a disease. It's just what they are. Unfortunatly society usually doesn't find out until someone is hurt by it.

Nightwing
2007-06-26, 08:46 PM
Thats what I was trying to say! On the news when you see a man that killed a five year old and killed himself when the cops arrived you dont say "Oh, that pore man". Just because this guy was a wrestler does not make it any different.

psychoduck14
2007-06-26, 10:27 PM
nightwing...you need to grow up and learn how to understand what people are saying, Rabiesbunny is saying she respect what he was. A person that kills a 7 year old has issues enough said she respects the wrestler not the psycho that killed his son. Its like a respect that some solders have of their enemy, I myself respect Hitlers leadership ability however I dont respect what he did with it, you could say in a way its the same kind of respect. Respect dosnt mean that you like that person either.

J_Muller
2007-06-26, 10:35 PM
nightwing...you need to grow up and learn how to understand what people are saying, Rabiesbunny is saying she respect what he was. A person that kills a 7 year old has issues enough said she respects the wrestler not the psycho that killed his son. Its like a respect that some solders have of their enemy, I myself respect Hitlers leadership ability however I dont respect what he did with it, you could say in a way its the same kind of respect. Respect dosnt mean that you like that person either.

On the contrary--I think Nightwing is making some progress here, and that's not even counting spelling and grammar. There is of course something to be said for respecting your enemy, as you might respect Hitler for rallying a nation to greatness, but I think that what Nightwing's trying to say here is that when such a person dies, they should not be mourned. True, Benoit accomplished something with his life as a wrestler, but whatever he did is now tainted by his final acts.

psychoduck14
2007-06-26, 10:44 PM
thats true although im still in the dark as to what nightwing is really trying to get at.

Catch
2007-06-26, 11:04 PM
I like how everyone is heartbroken over the Benoit deaths, then suddenly rabid once the circumstances are revealed. That really restores my faith in humanity, right there. It's all very tragic, but what irks me is that somehow a man's death is used to whitewash the entirety of his life. Despite your righteous rage, you are not the moral arbiter of any man's life, nor are you the judge of his contributions as a professional. It's very easy for someone to sit behind a keyboard and condemn another in a fit of pretentious sanctimony.

Face it, we all know murder is wrong. We don't know the circumstances of Chris's life, mental health or the relationship with his family. He was a performer, and he was good enough to hide a sickness from the entirety of his fanbase. Just because he murdered his wife and son doesn't make him any less of a wrestler. It's horrific, yet there's nothing to be done. An iconoclast won't bring back the dead, nor will spitting on the man's grave.

Let the dead rest and stable your high horses.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-26, 11:18 PM
I don't think it was necessarily murder/suicide.:smalleek:

For all we know, someone snuck into the home and killed them all. Anybody(well, anyone over the age of 5) can kill a kid with ease. If he'd wanted to kill his wife, he could have snapped her neck easily(come on, that guy was enormously ripped for his size), no need for restraints even. Would be interesting to see the coroner's report, personally, comparing bruises, cuts, etc.

As far as his wrestling life, he was one of the best, and was actually credible, rather than squashing no-name jobbers, or screwing up simple moves.

Catch
2007-06-27, 12:02 AM
I don't think it was necessarily murder/suicide.:smalleek: ...Would be interesting to see the [coroner's report, personally, comparing bruises, cuts, etc.

Here. (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usbenoit0626,0,4246396.story?coll=ny-top-headlines) It's pretty evident that Chris killed his wife and son, then himself.

Jibar
2007-06-27, 02:52 AM
Please, Nightwing.
There are some things that mean a lot to people. Some things that will keep you believing in an idol, despite what may happen.
Your final events, compared to your entire life, can seem so meaningless. Such a brief span of time, compared to the many years reaching back.
I don't ask that you condone his actions, I don't ask that you mourn his death. I only ask that you treat the passing of someone with respect, and recognise how short a space of time has passed.
In a month or two, then you can start questioning it all, but not now, not when the wounds are still new.

Itdano
2007-06-27, 04:24 AM
I liked Chris Benoit. He was a good wrestler. As it turns out, he was also a complete waste of flesh. I lost all respect for the man when he murdered his own child. His memory is unworthy. The best thing we can all do is forget that the worthless piece of garbage ever existed in the first place.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-27, 04:56 AM
I saw the Wikipedia page, and the conclusion was that it was Murder/Suicide, but the evidence is equally strong for outside influence. I'd wait a couple weeks for the autopsies and other stuff to be done before I go around condemning, and I'd suggest people do the same.

Hermit
2007-06-27, 05:53 AM
I saw the Wikipedia page, and the conclusion was that it was Murder/Suicide, but the evidence is equally strong for outside influence. I'd wait a couple weeks for the autopsies and other stuff to be done before I go around condemning, and I'd suggest people do the same.

Considering how far apart the times of death are, that'd be impressive. Killer sneaks in on Saturday and kills his wife, noone notices, then he comes back on Sunday and kills the kid, then finally on Monday kills Chris and makes it look like suicide. Don't see that really, I'm certain they'll conclude it was murder/sucide.

If anything else, its proof taking steroids is very stupid. And that said, its a little harsh to judge someone's entire life on one act of violent madness at the end, although what he's done is a terrible act.

Edit: also, trusting Wikipeida too far is never a good idea

Rabiesbunny
2007-06-27, 06:30 AM
Actually Hermit, there's really no evidence he abused steroids (the ones they had found in his home were legally prescribed), and even if he did, that is almost certainly not what fueled him to do this. 'Roid Rage' is not something that drives people to methodical and planned killings of their family and themselves. Now, at the moment noone is able to really say WHY he did it, until the toxicology reports come back.

Nightwing
2007-06-27, 06:37 AM
Well, There were charges against him for beating his wife. If he did just snap because of his wife then it still does not explain why he killed the kid. Maybe he did not want him to find hims mom dead?

zeratul
2007-06-27, 07:56 AM
It was probably a mental instabillity. If they don't find it in the autopsy you guys might never know.

I'm not a wrestling fan, and I regularly make fun of it. However this is truly sad. Soory for all the devoted fans out there.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-27, 08:44 AM
Edit: also, trusting Wikipeida too far is never a good idea

Nod. I looked through the news articles for more details after that post. The SMSes suggested premeditation, but I would still not rule out external causes. ToD is a fairly imprecise science after the first 24 hours, I would think, because of how each person's systems decay after death(you may have food in your stomach, slowing down the decaying process, or you just have a stronger acid, or whatever). Again, I would wait for toxicology reports, autopsies, complete analysis of all injuries, etc. It's not like this is TV's CSI, where everything can be done in a single week. RL DNA testing alone can take a week, depending on what you're hunting, and chemical tests... No, I really don't feel like being judgemental for once.

psychoduck14
2007-06-27, 09:27 AM
guys, its not our place to pass judgement on anyone period no ifs ands or buts. so please stop slandering this guy for what he did, shure it was horrible but we dont know what drove him to do it. So please stop the judgementle slander.

Itdano
2007-06-27, 02:51 PM
It's not slander if it's true. He murdered his own child. I'll pass all the judgment on him I want. He was a piece of crap and I'm glad he's dead.

J_Muller
2007-06-27, 02:55 PM
Itdano's comment is a bit excessively rude, but the point stands that there is no reason to not pass judgement.

zeratul
2007-06-27, 02:57 PM
Well post it somewhere else. What your doing now is basically flaming. They have the right to mourn him, which is what this thread is created for.

So stop bashing the dude they're trying to mourn.

Jibar
2007-06-27, 02:58 PM
It's not slander if it's true. He murdered his own child. I'll pass all the judgment on him I want. He was a piece of crap and I'm glad he's dead.

Have you heard nothing of respect for the dead?
It is not our place to pass judgement on the recently deceased.

I hate to do this, but if you found out one of your close friends had killed their relatives and killed themselves, would you be so quick to condemn them?

Nightwing
2007-06-27, 04:06 PM
I am not glad he is dead, I would rather see him locked up in prison for the rest of his life, but that does not mean that what he did was not horrible.

Daze
2007-06-27, 04:20 PM
It's right to wait for a more complete picture (toxicology, autopsy, etc..) before passing any kind of "final judgement". There's been cases of undiagnosed brain tumors making people go mad.

And that's just what it is... mad. I dont care what drugs your on: steroids, weed, crack or alcohol. If you pick up your son and kill him with your own hands, there's something very, very wrong with you. Physically or mentally (even spiritually perhaps).

People love to point their fingers when nothing makes sense (as this sure doesnt). It's easy to say steroids, anything else might be too difficult or scary to comprehend.

Alarra
2007-06-27, 04:51 PM
Hey guys....This is apparently a touchy subject for a lot of people, but let's all just take a step back and calm down. Okay?

zeratul
2007-06-27, 06:06 PM
I am not glad he is dead, I would rather see him locked up in prison for the rest of his life, but that does not mean that what he did was not horrible.

Nightwing HOW DO YOU NOT GET THIS.

I'm not a fan either, I'm aware of the crimes he comitted, but there are still people who like him out there! So let them mourn, and get out of their thread! End of rant.

Itdano
2007-06-28, 02:58 AM
Why do you like someone who would kill their own child? I don't understand that.

Would I be quick to condemn a friend who did the same thing? Absolutely. Benoit deserves no respect, dead or alive. He killed his own child. I'll go ahead and say that again since so many of you just can't seem to comprehend it. HE KILLED HIS OWN CHILD. That automatically removes him from any "A" list I may have had him on.

You can wait on all the reports you want and it still won't matter to you. You don't want to believe it. Believing that Chris Benoit was capable of this kind of horrendous crime would destroy the hero worship image you've built up of him.

But then, you've never had to pull a friend off a lady attempting to do the same thing to her kids, have you?

Respect for the dead? How about some respect for the living? For the survivors of his little weekend rampage. The friends and family that have to live the rest of their lives without their daughter, grandson, sister, nephew or cousin because of what he did. What about them? I'd say they are far more important than "honoring" a maniac.

Alarra
2007-06-28, 03:24 AM
Mod Goddess: Wow...you know...I sure love it when I make a post, in mod voice, no less....and it is COMPLETELY IGNORED. Whatever your beliefs are on this matter, do not criticize or yell or disrespect someone else because their's differs. Please refrain from arguing the morality of this man's final actions or I'll be locking this.

zeratul
2007-06-28, 07:21 PM
Soory Allara. Just got annoyed at Nightwing annoying them.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-28, 07:52 PM
What a tragedy.

Rabiesbunny
2007-06-28, 08:03 PM
Did you not hear the mod? Dudes, just back down. This post has already been destroyed by the amount of anger and insensitivity to the situation being thrown around, so if there was a battle to win, you've won it.

Jeeze.

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-28, 08:08 PM
Did you not hear the mod? Dudes, just back down. This post has already been destroyed by the amount of anger and insensitivity to the situation being thrown around, so if there was a battle to win, you've won it.

Jeeze.

What?
I was just here to pay my respects to the dead.
Sheesh.

LadyWillow
2007-07-01, 11:12 AM
One thing you all have to see is we won't know his reasons.

I will always respect the wrestler he was and all he did for wrestling. He was a wonder in the ring, he could make anyone look good and was a kind person to all who knew him.

I was in complete shock as the story unraveled it's cruel tale of double murder suicide...

We will never know exactly what cause it to happen and why.

Stress does some horrific things to a person. His wife had filed for divorce back in 2003, but dropped it. They had a child with fragile X syndrome. It was a trial on them both. That does not justify murder by far, but it shows the amount of stress in his life. Lots claim roid rage...if he had taken them it would only amplify his stress lvl with a hard marriage and a complicated child.

I can't believe he did it maliciously, but I wont ever know...no one will but him.

I don't condone murder period, no matter what the "stress" or reasons but I can't simply write him out as a monster. He might of genuinely thought they'd go to a better place away from it all...you never know...

If he did do it maliciously then he is nothing but scum and a monster, but I don't believe he did. That's just my opinion. Everyone is quick to jump on an opinion without realizing there's a whole gray area...

My thoughts are with his remainding family and friends and what all they have to suffer through during this tragedy.

Truly a shock...

sealemon
2007-07-04, 10:18 PM
Chris Benoit was one of my favorite wrestlers. Now, I'll never be able to look at him, or any of his ***** matches again without feeling sick to my stomach. I have no idea why he did what he did, but the whole thing is sad, and sickening.

I've dealt with violent mental illness in my immediate family, and it amazing how someone you think you know can CHANGE, with what is apparently no rational reason. I despise what Chris did, but I can only assume he was insane. Unfortunatly, his son and wife paid the price.

I have no idea what else to say.

Scorpina
2007-07-04, 10:33 PM
I just have to say that there's nothing about the entire situation that doesn't suck.

psychoduck14
2007-07-09, 10:25 PM
the last thing i have to say is that you shouldnt condem a man for life for one mistake, even for one so horrid. with said may God have mercy on his soul.

Malik
2007-07-10, 12:43 AM
To start with in this post i do not condone the actions that apparently chris benoit took but knowing what it is like to suffer from stress and mental instability i know what it is like to just snap and want to do things in anger and rage that when you stop and think about it you do not want to do. We do not and will never know what caused chris benoit to take such drastic measures. The whole affair is extremely sad and sorrowful and i personally think we should leave the whole thing alone as it is causing such hatred in the thread and i personally dont like reading haetful things. I'm all for allowing people to have their own opinion and if it is one of hate then fine you are entitled to it but you have to realise that other people will truly mourn the man that chris benoit was and you should allow them to do that otherwise you are just being boorish, pigheaded and narrow minded. People need to be allowed their own opinions so stop trying to force your own opinion onto others. We should be trying to live this life in peace and treat others how you expect to be treated. Allow those that want to mourn to mourn, dont spread hatred because it is never pretty.

Hushdawg
2007-07-10, 08:24 AM
This whole bizzare story came across the news a while ago and it really upset me for several reasons.

1) The steroids that Benoit had were legally prescribed insomuch that a doctor wrote a script for them, but that doctor never actually diagnosed Benoit with anything requiring the steroids.

2) The deaths of his wife and child.

3) The apparent suicide is a bit disturbing, consider the fact that he supposedly hung himself on a weight bench pulley. Um... those pulleys aren't long enough to hang someone. Also, have you seen the man's traps? no way he'd hang easy. The whole "suicide" thing doesn't add up.

4) regardless of his guilt or innocence, he was a great entertainer and for that he'll be missed.