PDA

View Full Version : Stolen spellbook - who can use?

Ettina
2016-05-12, 05:55 PM
Are there any classes other than wizard who would be able to use a stolen wizard's spellbook to help them cast?
I know it does nothing for sorcerers, but what about other arcane casters?

DrMotives
2016-05-12, 06:02 PM
While a sorcerer or bard could use that as a source for an unusual spell to add to their spells known if the DM wants to enforce that kind of rule, it does nothing for anyone whose class doesn't use a book.

So it's only really useful for other wizards, wu jen, and 3.0 assassins. Also the death master from compendium annual uses a spell book.

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-12, 06:04 PM
One of the most common Mystic Ranger builds could make good use of one.

torrasque666
2016-05-12, 07:09 PM
Chameleons with an Arcane Focus can use it. Hell, they pretty much need to steal one in the first place.

Crake
2016-05-12, 08:54 PM
Chameleons with an Arcane Focus can use it. Hell, they pretty much need to steal one in the first place.

I personally prefer getting a single level in wizard before entering chameleon, and getting eidetic spellcaster, then every day just using your floating bonus feat to get extra spell and add a new spell to your eidetic spellbook :D

Coidzor
2016-05-13, 05:56 PM
Clerics and other casters with the ability to cast Anyspell and Greater Anyspell from the Spell Domain.

Paladins and Rangers with Sword of the Arcane Order under many interpretations of that feat would be able to use the lower level spells.

I think a high level Factotum can mimic having the Wizard spellcasting feature and prepare spells from the book.

Gildedragon
2016-05-13, 06:41 PM
Clerics and other casters with the ability to cast Anyspell and Greater Anyspell from the Spell Domain.

Paladins and Rangers with Sword of the Arcane Order under many interpretations of that feat would be able to use the lower level spells.

I think a high level Factotum can mimic having the Wizard spellcasting feature and prepare spells from the book.

Nah factotum don't need a book... They can sort of just guess at any given sorc-wiz spell

Eisfalken
2016-05-13, 10:42 PM
I personally prefer getting a single level in wizard before entering chameleon, and getting eidetic spellcaster, then every day just using your floating bonus feat to get extra spell and add a new spell to your eidetic spellbook :D

Edit: Scratch what I said.

Replace with, "This only works if you dip Chameleon 2 and go the rest with wizard. Chameleon spellcasting can't do jack with Extra Spell; only the wizard side gets the benefit."

Mea culpa.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-05-14, 04:15 AM
Edit: Scratch what I said.

Replace with, "This only works if you dip Chameleon 2 and go the rest with wizard. Chameleon spellcasting can't do jack with Extra Spell; only the wizard side gets the benefit."

Mea culpa.

And the chameleon prepares from the wizard side's spellbook. Where's the problem? Either way, you're preparing a new spell, then you scribe it in your book after you swap out the feat. Once a spell's in memory it stays there until cast (or until the ability to cast is lost) and you can expend any spell in memory to scribe it to your book.