PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Looking For Template (for Fey)

Thurbane
2016-05-12, 08:08 PM
Hey all,

Looking for a Template for a Shadar Kai that will boost Con, but doesn't change type from Fey.

Also looking for something that has a low CR increase (this is for an NPC).

So far I've come across Draconic Creature, but I'm wondering what my other options are?

Prefer to avoid Dragon Mag material where possible.

Cheers - T

Morcleon
2016-05-12, 08:42 PM
Monster Manual 4 has the Lolth-Touched Template on pg 93, granting +6 to Str and Con, +4 to Hide and Move Silently, and immunity to fear. It also changes their alignment to CE, but that can be ignored by noting that it only changes the alignment but does not force it to stay there. You can refluff the source of the template to whichever deity/Power That Be as appropriate, as you're the DM.

As the template is only LA +1 (and doesn't scale at all), I'd assume the CR increase is only +1 (away from my books right now, so I can't confirm this).

Thurbane
2016-05-12, 11:02 PM
Hmm, thanks for the suggestion - not sure being a flunky of Llolth would work for this particular character. Maybe I can re-fluff the template to a more apt deity.

ShurikVch
2016-05-13, 09:33 AM
How about the Dragon stuff?

#350 have Corrupted Creature template, which gives +8 Con, and +2 CR

Mineral Warrior (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e): +4 Con, +1 CR

Arctic (#306): +2 Con, +0 CR

ATHATH
2016-05-13, 11:00 AM
Check out the "Templates for Fey", "Templates for Any", and "Templates for Increasing CON" sections of this guide: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=12219.0

If you're wondering why some of the templates are red, they're that color because they're from an unofficial (or no longer official) source. The other ones should be fine, though.

Thurbane
2016-05-13, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Mineral Warrior looks promising. It's for a melee based character, so MW would work well.

Troacctid
2016-05-13, 10:36 PM
Greenbound is pretty good on NPCs. +8 LA, but only +2 CR, and it offers great stat bonuses and very nice abilities.

Half-Celestial also works well.

That's just off the top of my head. A lot of traditional optimization techniques get thrown out the window when you start talking about CR instead of ECL, so don't be afraid to look outside the box.

Thurbane
2016-05-13, 10:53 PM
Greenbound is pretty good on NPCs. +8 LA, but only +2 CR, and it offers great stat bonuses and very nice abilities.

Half-Celestial also works well.

That's just off the top of my head. A lot of traditional optimization techniques get thrown out the window when you start talking about CR instead of ECL, so don't be afraid to look outside the box.

They're both nice templates, but both change the base creature type (to Plant and Outsider, respectively). Although Greenbound Sounds great for my Grassy Gnoll NPC.

The link provided by Athath suggests only the following won't change type:

Accantus (Requires Child of the Sea template, must not be Good)
Anarchic Creature (must be corporeal and nonlawful)
Arcane-Blooded (must be corporeal and have blood)
Axiomatic Creature (must be corporeal and nonchaotic)
Ba'traa Creature (Must be corporeal)
Celestial Creature (Must be corporeal, can't be Evil)
Chameleon Creature (must be corporeal)
Entropic Creature (must be corporeal)
Fiendish Creature (must be corporeal, can't be Evil)
Half-Machine (Must be corporeal, can't have Shapechanger Subtype)
Mineral Warrior (Must be corporeal)
Mistling
Quorbred Creature
Savage Creature (Must be corporeal and have an Int score)
Scorned (Must be corporeal)
Seelie Court Fey (must have been born Fey from purely Fey parents)
Shadow-Bound Creature
Shadow Creature (must be corporeal)
Skorenoi (must be corporeal and have bestial traits)
Voidmind Creature (must be living and Tiny to Huge Size)
Woodling (Must be corporeal)
Xorvintaal Exarch
Black-Touched
Folkloric Fey (Must be corporeal)