PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Zombie Template

ZenBear
2016-05-12, 08:42 PM
It surprises me that there isn't one already. There's a Half-Dragon template you can put over anything, a Shadow Dragon template you can put over any Dragon, and there are regular zombies, Ogre zombies, and Beholder zombies, but that's it as far as things capable of becoming zombies by RAW. Seems foolishly limited.

I don't have a lot of thought put into this, but a buddy of mine is playing a homebrew Necromancer (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cs_mx_JBW70M2rAOpcu3GoKqtvBP4vgLQ2EQiAIkPdE/edit) (credit to JamesMusicus of Reddit, and to his post on this forum where I originally found it) and is finding it a bit dull only being able to zombify humanoinds. Our DM was kind enough to cobble together CR 1/8 goblin zombies, but I am hoping to take things a bit further.

So let's brainstorm!

First off, mental scores should be dropped from the existing stat block and be replaced with the zombie's INT3 WIS6 CHA5 (the Beholder has WIS8 for whatever reason, but w/e). Physical stats remain the same except perhaps a boost to CON, maybe +2, cuz they don't feel pain anymore so they should be a bit more durable. Features: immune to poison damage and condition, and Undead Fortitude.

How would this affect CR? Obviously casters would cease to be competent. In the case of the Ogre zombie they have a weapon, so perhaps only in the case of untrained Commoners and the like is a simple zombie made, higher class NPCs or PCs retain their standard stat block and weapon proficiencies? I'm looking for input from people who homebrew monsters, cuz I really don't. I need to read up on how to calculate CR.

Scaileanna
2016-05-13, 12:31 AM
there is a sort of template for zombies/skeletons in the DMG pg.282 but it's for the DM to make zombies/skeletons not for players reanimated creatures
zombie: +1 str, +2 con, -6 int, -4 cha/wis, undead fortitude, immune to poison damage and being poisoned, darkvision 60 ft, can't speak but understand know languages known in life
skeleton: +2 dex, -4 cha/wis, vulnerable to bludgeoning damage, immune to poison damage/exhaustion and being poisoned, darkvison 60 ft, can't speak but understands languages known in life

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-13, 02:46 AM
So let's brainstorm!

I had a crack at this back in March (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20551063&postcount=2). I'm not 100% happy with the outcome, but I don't know how I'd improve it.

Regarding CR, I assumed the DM would just recalculate it from scratch, since this template would probably increase the CR of a commoner, while decreasing the CR of a dragon.