PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monk monastic Tradition: Blademaster (Feedback wanted)

Krumpits
2016-05-12, 11:07 PM
Hello! I lurk this forum a decent amount and only finally made an account. I have also made a few homebrew classes and archetype, but this is the first one I feel like I want to post. Its a monk tradition based from the Warcraft Blademaster. I would love some feedback or ideas or anything else you have to say. Thank you!

Monastic Tradition: Blademaster
Based on the Blademaster from the Warcraft series

Slicing wind:
Starting at level 3 when you make an attack with a monk weapon you land a critical on a 19-20. Additionally you gain proficiency with martial weapons that have the slashing property but cannot have the heavy or two handed property (Versatile is fine). These weapons can be used as your monk weapons.

At level 11 you gain the ability to use Flurry of Blows with a slashing weapon you are proficient with instead of unarmed strikes.

Windwalk:
Starting at level 6 when you use your step of the wind ability, you become invisible until the end of your turn or until you attack. On the first attack you land on your turn after using this feature you can add one additional damage die to the weapons damage. This extra damage die can be doubled from a crit.

Mirror Image:
Starting at level 11 when being attacked as a reaction you can create false duplicates of yourself making the attack at disadvantage. Until the start of your turn all attack have disadvantage against you. This can be used as many times a day equal to your wisdom modifier. Uses of this feature are regained on a short or long rest.

Bladestorm:
Starting at level 17 you can spend 5 Ki points to use Bladestorm. You can move your full movement without taking attacks of opportunity, additionally you may attack every target you pass (no more than twice) these attacks are made with separate attack rolls per attack. After you use this feature you gain resistance to magic damage until the end of your next turn.

Edit: At level 11 allow flurry of blows to be made with any slashing weapon instead of unarmed. Crit chance now applies to all attacks.

Final Hyena
2016-05-13, 06:42 AM
Slicing wind is kind of iffy.
At level 3 it gives an average damage boost of 1.375 (no miss chance) which of course doubles at 5th level. The issue is the value lessens as your martial die eventually catch up to a longsword meaning all that feature really gives you is the crit range increase on some of your attacks. The fighter that gets this (meh) boon eventually gets value with it due to many attacks, but the monk is stuck with two weapon attacks.

Perhaps allow your monk weapons to be used in place of unarmed attacks with martial arts/flurry at a later level, maybe 11th?

Krumpits
2016-05-13, 11:32 AM
Slicing wind is kind of iffy.
At level 3 it gives an average damage boost of 1.375 (no miss chance) which of course doubles at 5th level. The issue is the value lessens as your martial die eventually catch up to a longsword meaning all that feature really gives you is the crit range increase on some of your attacks. The fighter that gets this (meh) boon eventually gets value with it due to many attacks, but the monk is stuck with two weapon attacks.

Perhaps allow your monk weapons to be used in place of unarmed attacks with martial arts/flurry at a later level, maybe 11th?

The main thing with the crit is the Warcraft Blademaster is known to crit quite often, so I could just make it so that you crit on a 19-20 regardless of the weapon used. Using your weapon in place of unarmed for flurry of blows seems like a neat idea I'll do the math and think about it. Thank you for the feedback!

Krumpits
2016-05-13, 12:15 PM
Updated Slicing Wind to hopefully be more appealing.