PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Interesting Barbarian magic items?

NiklasWB
2016-05-13, 03:08 AM
Hi guys. One of my players in a campaign I'm running is a Goliath Bear Totem Barbarian, and I'm having a bit of a problem thinking about interesting magic items to give him. We are playing in Forgotten Realms, so magic items are prized but not super-rare.

So far (he's level 4) he has received a magic 'Stoneforged Maul' that gives:
- +1 AC when he does any other action than the Attack action (simulating a defensive guard stance)
- advantage against being moved, knocked prone or pushed (even when not raging),
- he can use his reaction to reduce the length he is being moved by another creature by 10 feet.

One problem is that he keeps switching back and forth between his Maul and his warhammer/shield-combo (which of course takes an entire action) because he wants higher AC. The thing is, he only has 14 AC as a base because he doesn't want to have any armor... so even with a shield he only has 16 AC... He's a bear totem barbarian so he pretty much always halves damage, but I feel like he is not totally happy with his character/item so far because he can't seem to decide between higher AC or damage. I mean, if I was playing his build I would probably focus more on damage (which works well with Barbarians in general... Reckless Attack etc., and not defense, since a 16 AC will not stop a lot of attacks at level 5 and up...

So far he has not committed to any 'fighting style' (ie, no Shield Master or Great Weapon Master etc.). He picked Lucky as a feat at level 4.

So, what can I give him?

The party has faced a lot of Shadows and Wraith-like creatures, so I've been thinking about giving him a 'Shadowguard belt' that makes him immune to STR-draining abilities and abilities that reduce hit point maximum (at level 5-6?). Should I add something more to this item?

I've also been thinking about giving him a pair of 'Brawler's Bracers' that gives him +1 AC when not wearing armor or shield, and makes unarmed attacks do 1d4 damage+STR instead of 1+STR. Further down the line I'll probably switch this one out to Bracers of Defense +2 AC (level 8?).

I will also be giving out a Giant Slayer great axe at a higher level (level 7 maybe?)

At a much higher level I'll probably give him Belt of Stone Giant Strength (level 13-14? maybe...)

That's where I'm at... I don't know what kind of Boots, Gloves, Rings, Armor (if any), etc I should give him... I would welcome any advice or suggestions. Official DMG and homebrew items are welcome. If you can, please give a suggestion at what level you would hand them out as well.

Rhiarion
2016-05-13, 03:40 AM
14 AC as a base because he doesn't want to have any armor... so even with a shield he only has 16 AC...

That seems low, his base AC without armor including his DEX and CON is 14, really?

forgive me if I missed something else.

Giant2005
2016-05-13, 03:45 AM
Give him some Gauntlets of Dexterity or something (Increase his Dex to 19).

NiklasWB
2016-05-13, 03:51 AM
That seems low, his base AC without armor including his DEX and CON is 14, really?

forgive me if I missed something else.

Yes, his CON is 16 and his DEX is 13, so he has 14 in AC without a shield.

Give him some Gauntlets of Dexterity or something (Increase his Dex to 19).

I'm not too keen on giving out items that increase ability scores early on. I could see that item coming into play at like level 10 maybe. Also, I can see both the ranger, the warlock and the bard wanting that item as well, so I'm not sure they would give it to the barbarian in the group.

hymer
2016-05-13, 03:57 AM
Personally, I don't see it as the DM's job to shore up questionable mechanical choices of the players. If he wants to play a naked dwarf on the frontlines, he can do that, but that stat allocation makes it a lot less feasible. Go put on some metal, already! :smallwink:
That aside: An animated shield might be an item for this guy. There are also rings and cloaks of protection.

N810
2016-05-13, 11:03 AM
The Belt of Dwarvenkind will help with his low Con/AC, also it has a lot of other fun benefits.
Also you could give him some sort of homebrew magic helmet.

Specter
2016-05-13, 11:12 AM
...Cloak of Protection?

Aurthur
2016-05-13, 12:22 PM
Make the maul versatile instead of 2-handed. *shrug* But I agree with the above...if you're giving out magic items that aren't tailored to the individual's desires, then just let them play or not play with them as they please.