PDA

View Full Version : WoD Luckiest Mage Alive [Classic WoD]

fishyfishyfishy
2016-05-13, 08:47 AM
For story reasons, my previous character must be retired in my groups World of Darkness game and I find myself in the awkward position of creating a new character that meshes with the existing cast of characters. I am gravitating towards Mage. I love the idea of manipulating chance so that everything always works out in my favor. Our storyteller has a kind of mish-mashed world and has drawn upon Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Demon, Hunter, AND Changeling so far and two of the other players have Mage characters so my idea fits.

We use the 20th anniversary versions of the rules but I've been allowed to pluck the Lucky and Charmed Existence merits from older sources. Besides Entropy and those merits what kind of things can I do to create the luckiest Mage alive? I want this guy to embody the idea of living life on the edge, while simultaneously manipulating fate. He seemingly thrives on pure chance. An equally important question is why? What kind of personal history do you think would shape a person into this personality? The guy is a sensualist who wants to experience all the world has to offer, especially the extreme. I want to bring this character to life and all I've got is a basic concept of what I want to accomplish during play.

LibraryOgre
2016-05-13, 10:57 AM
Perhaps a Jack of All Trades-like merit, letting you heavily skimp on ACTUAL skills, and just having the right knowledge at the right time?

You might also look at Mind 1 and Time 1 as spheres, to enhance that you've got great timing and notice things... you don't travel through time, but you're always there at the right time (and, with Correspondence, right place).

Maybe some social merits representing someone who is generally well-liked, and thus can skate a bit on that?

JeenLeen
2016-05-13, 11:05 AM
I only know... 2nd edition revised?... not the anniversary rules, so some of my suggestions may be out of date.

As you said, Entropy. I reckon that's your focus. Entropy 2 can generally be used to give someone overall luck. I think it was also the normal rote to boost your dodge or accuracy, so you can be great at attacking or defense.

I agree with Mark Hall about Mind 1. A constant Mind 1 effect to give you multiple minds lets you take in info and process it more easily. Time 1 always seemed rather weak to me; I think you'd need Time 2 to get a sense into the future and know where you should need to be. Maybe a combined rote of Entropy 2 and Time 1 (or 2) could give you luck in timing -- ask your GM.

For combat purposes (if that matters to you), I could see focusing on Entropy and Time. With Entropy 2 and Time 3, you could 'haste' yourself and do really accurate attacks. Not as damaging as a Forces-user, but still really valid. And potentially not too easy to hit, so you could do okay without Life magic (though personally I always try to get Life 2 to heal myself.)
High dodge could be read as an intuitive sense of how to move or jump to avoid harm.

For merits, if there's one that makes you immune to being blood-bound, it could be worth it if you're a sensualist. Being blood-bound is really bad in several ways, even if the Disciplines are nice. Bonus if this merit means you can get the Disciplines but just avoid the 'being a slave' aspect.