PDA

View Full Version : Can you have a 5e bard that does not cast via music without refluffing the class?

Giegue
2016-05-13, 09:55 AM
As the title asks. In past editions of D&D it was possible to make bards who where distinctly not musicians. Orater bards, comedy bards and even bards who's performance style was flashy weapon drills where all things. However, with 5e it seems they've really doubled down on the musician flavor. I didn't really look too deep into the PHB fluff though, so I'm wondering does the default fluff for bards allow orater bards, comedy bards and other non-musical bards? Or does 5e basically force all bards to be musicians? If anybody has any clarity on this I'd be grateful!

NNescio
2016-05-13, 10:11 AM
As the title asks. In past editions of D&D it was possible to make bards who where distinctly not musicians. Orater bards, comedy bards and even bards who's performance style was flashy weapon drills where all things. However, with 5e it seems they've really doubled down on the musician flavor. I didn't really look too deep into the PHB fluff though, so I'm wondering does the default fluff for bards allow orater bards, comedy bards and other non-musical bards? Or does 5e basically force all bards to be musicians? If anybody has any clarity on this I'd be grateful!

Well, you're forced to use a musical instrument as your spellcasting focus. Mechanically, however, you can ignore foci entirely and just use a spell component pouch, 'though it does make your spellcasting more overt to onlookers.

Per RAW, you're forced to take three musical tool proficiencies though, but you may argue using the "of your choice" argument to take no proficiencies whatsoever (in musical tools), if you really want to.

Also, some of the best Bard magical items in the DMG are musical instruments. You might be able to discuss with your DM to refluff them if they come up though.

dickerson76
2016-05-13, 10:18 AM
Play down the music part and play up the oratory/speech part. I envision a Valor Bard that uses pacing chants from martial training to improve his performance. Think of the Robin Hood, Men In Tights fight, "Parry, parry, thrust, thrust...Good!"

Joe the Rat
2016-05-13, 10:21 AM
frankly, I feel that they've really dialed back on the musicality. Yes, they are trained up the wazoo with instruments, and yes, they can use an instrument as an arcane focus instead of using a component pouch. You don't want to bang a gong for your spellcasting? Pull out the pocket lint and spiders. It makes you look more like you've picked up a bunch of weird magic tricks and esoteric knowledge - a very scholar-bard thing to do.

Look at the bard tricks: Vicious Mockery, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Dissonant Whispers, Enthrall, Power Words - You have to talk. The Cutting words feature. Bardic Inspiration: "You can inspire others through stirring words or music." Song of Rest: "you can use soothing music or oration to help revitalize your wounded allies during a short rest." Countercharm: "you gain the ability to use musical notes or words of power to disrupt mind-influencing effects."

It looks more like words and language are the tools of the bard, with using music being a fluff option. At base, you can easily be a poet or orator in your performance. Or a scholar who happens to be a very engaging storyteller. Or an insult comedian. Or a user of Words of Power.

EvilestWeevil
2016-05-13, 10:26 AM
A bard that doesn't use music is essentially a warlord from 4e. You just lean more toward battlefield commander. You just ignore the music aspect of the bard. It's more speeches or funny anecdotal stories rather than playing music. But refluffing does have its uses, I refluffed the 4e prescient bard into a fortune spurned individual that due to his very presence enemies were hampered in combat. He ended up being a healer, and by all accounts was completely inept in combat except that he wasn't. Refluffing lets you go a long way with something like a bard.

R.Shackleford
2016-05-13, 10:28 AM

This bard isn't all that music inclined, as others have said, there is a huge push in this edition to allow talking.

But if you want to play a bard that doesn't have bard features? We go old school with multiclassing.

Rogue 3 (AT)/Wizard 2 (Diviner or Sword Dancer) and focus on enchantment spells.

Basic build would be Rogue 1 / Wizard 1

Ruslan
2016-05-13, 10:37 AM

Well, the PHB chapter of the Bard has a section called "Music and Magic". So, yet, pretty much, music is a big deal for the bard.

In the worlds of D&D, words and music are
not just vibrations of air, but vocalizations with
power all their own. The bard is a master of song,
speech, and the magic they contain. Bards say
that the multiverse w as spoken into existence, that the
words of the gods gave it shape, and that echoes of these
primordial Words of Creation still resound throughout
the cosmos. The music of bards is an attempt to snatch
and harness those echoes, subtly woven into their
spells and powers.
Having said that, this section also mentions "words" and "speech", so I guess an orator Bard could work.