PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A A homebrewed rule for Rangers hide in plain sight ability

Sir cryosin
2016-05-13, 11:27 AM
I was thinking changing it a bit were it say. " if you are in your favorite terrain you can take a bonus action to hide." I'm afb. Right now but does the Rangers get this at lv 14 if so why have hide in plain sight.

Fighting_Ferret
2016-05-13, 11:31 AM
Vanish the level 14 ability allows the Ranger to hide using a bonus action.

Hide in Plain Sight is a different ability, more used to get a bonus for enemies to bypass you or for you to get a bonus when staying in one place to set an ambush or spy. (pass without a trace gives you the same bonus, but allows you to move, albeit at the cost of a spell slot.)

Sir cryosin
2016-05-13, 11:49 AM
Yeah but just taking a action to hide and casting pass without Trace works just as well as freaking hide in plain sight if not better because you can move around hide in plain sight you gotta sit still I don't know about you but to me it seems pretty redundant to add to hiding mechanisms into the bass line ranger and one of those hiding mechanisms is just plain stupid it's got to be one of the most situational abilities I've ever seen and with the Situation's not even coming up that much expecially in a game that's based around having a party.

Fighting_Ferret
2016-05-13, 11:52 AM
Yeah it's extremely situational and surpassed by a level 2 spell slot.

Renewal
2016-05-13, 12:16 PM
To be fair, Hide in Plain Sight can stack with Pass without Trace for the ultimate ambusher. A +10--even as situational as Hide in Plain Sight--is absolutely no joke in 5e.

Sir cryosin
2016-05-13, 03:44 PM
Why stack hide in plain sight with pass without trace. I thought hide in plain sight was I can't be detected as long as I don't move thing. Because of it don't work like that then it even worse then I thought.

Renewal
2016-05-13, 09:14 PM
Stealth is never guaranteed, that's a basic gameplay feature, not a bug. Hide in Plain Sight gives you an additional +10 bonus to a Stealth check for hiding in plain sight, whereas non-rangers have to make due with their normal Stealth bonus.

Sir cryosin
2016-05-14, 09:13 AM
Now I might be wrong. But we're does it say hide in plain sight gives you a bones to stealth checks. I'm afb so I can't look it up.

georgie_leech
2016-05-14, 12:05 PM
Now I might be wrong. But we're does it say hide in plain sight gives you a bones to stealth checks. I'm afb so I can't look it up.

In the ability itself. Once a Ranger makes the camouflage, if they don't move from a spot the press themselves against they get a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks.