PDA

View Full Version : Books Buck Rogers! Chicago, lucky Buck is back!

Water Bob
2016-05-13, 11:56 AM
As I was looking around Amazon, I stumbled upon a new book that has just been published.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Really? Based on the old TV series? I used to watch that as a kid.

Now, over thirty years later, a new novel has been written, based not on the original comic or any other source other than the old campy TV show.

BUCK ROGERS in the 25th Century in LO, THE RINGS OF SATURN by Andrew E. C. Gaska. (http://smile.amazon.com/Buck-Rogers-25th-Century-Draconian/dp/152371249X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463156893&sr=1-4&keywords=buck+rogers)

http://blamventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/BUCK-rogers-cover.jpg

Looks to be the first of a trilogy. The description on Amazon says that it fills the gap between the first and second seasons.

To refresh your memory, the show only ran two seasons. The pilot was actually pretty good, for the day, and it aired, along with the pilot for Battlestar Galactica, as a full length movie in the movie theaters.

The Buck Rogers TV show--the first season--ran as a cheaper version of the pilot. But, the show was facing cancellation after the first season--and that might not have been due to rating. Maybe the show just cost too much. That's what happen to Battlestar Galactica. BG was one of the network's number one shows, but it cost so much to make each episode that the execs chose to revamp the show to a much more cost efficient setting. Thus, we got the horrible Battlestar Galactica 1980.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century underwent a similar reconfiguration after the first season. No longer based on earth, Buck & Co. took off in a large space ship to visit a new world each week, like Star Trek or Battlestar.

Well, this new trilogy is supposed to tie up plots from the first season and make a less abrupt translation to the new format.

Hmm. I'm thinking about picking this thing up. There's only seven reviews so far, but they're all 5-stars.

And...I am a bit nostalgic about the show. Though it was never my favorite, I did, back then, read the movie novelization, see the original movie several times, and tried to catch every episode I could (even when I thought they were cheezy back then).

Maybe the books....good!

Fralex
2016-05-14, 01:10 AM
I'm sorry this is the first reply, but I must say an unseen weight has been lifted now that I finally understand what Looney Toons' "Duck Dodgers and the 24th and a Half Century" was parodying.

Aotrs Commander
2016-05-14, 07:54 AM
When I saw the thread, I was immeditately filled with a dread horror of a "new gritty reboot" movie or something. *shudder* (How would that even WORK?)

To find it isn't is rather a welcome relief. So I'll note that one down for future reference. I tend not to buy too many books these days - strictly just for when we go on holiday, basically for space reasons, but with Skullduggery Pleasat finishing last year, a few new ideas doesn't hurt.

Leewei
2016-05-14, 08:55 AM
I'm sorry this is the first reply, but I must say an unseen weight has been lifted now that I finally understand what Looney Toons' "Duck Dodgers and the 24th and a Half Century" was parodying.

By the way, Mel Blanc (the voice of Looney Toons) also did the voice of the robot Twiki on Buck Rogers.