PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Improving Gracklstugh (OotA Spoilers)

Goober4473
2016-05-13, 02:04 PM
My players just finished up with Neverlight Grove, which is the first place they went after Sloobludop, and now they're headed to Gracklstugh to try and find a way out of the Underdark, bring Hemeth home who has promised them quality equipment, and to possibly find answers about the demon lords they've been encountering from some stone giants (they came face to face with Demogorgon and Zuggtmoy, and have seen evidence of both Juiblex and Yeenoghu).

This chapter is a bit of a mess, layout-wise, and there are a lot of teaks to be made, but I like most of the actual content. I think it just needs more focus, instead of a lot of semi-related hooks to toss at the players until one sticks.

The main thing I'll be changing is the overall motivation here. It seems like the book wants the players to either be wandering around doing side quests for no reason, or be arrested and forced into something. I'll be dropping the "look for signs of madness" quest for sure. The weird happenings work fine as flavor and world-building.

Instead, the players will encounter the rampaging stone giant as in the book, the guard will show up and detain them for questioning/possible arrest, but before they can really do that, a representative of the Keepers of the Flame will show up and bring them to Themberchaud (who I will be giving a New Orleans accent, just for fun). From there, he will make his offer, as will the Keepers, giving the players some options about what to do with the egg: keep it, give to to the dragon, or give it to the Keepers. Plus they can go talk to the stone giants before/after grabbing the egg, though I'm likely going to modify how Gravenhollow works, so I might tweak the stonespeaker crystal.

My players have lost the drow for now, due to their stop in Neverlight, but spies will locate them in Gracklstugh. The duergar know some ways to the surface, which the players may want to take, but all are guarded by factions that would rather turn the party over to the drow. If they refuse the mission or take the egg and run, the drow will be on their tail again, but if they hand the egg over, or find some way to cheat the system and pretend to hand it over, they can get safe passage out of the city, plus supplies, probably including some magic items.

I'd ideally like to make the whole situation feel like it was in some way worth it, and not just getting into and then out of trouble. I'll probably have drow scouts locate the party before they get to the city. That way, it won't just feel like going to Gracklstugh got the drow's attention again, and returning the egg will help solve an existing problem. This would have been a bit easier if they had gone here first, but oh well.

In addition, my plan is to have Hemeth smuggle the players in through the tunnels beneath the city, which will be a little more extensive than the given map, ultimately emerging in one of the derro districts, where he'd have some contact that can get them safely out of there and into the Darklake District. In the entry tunnels I can put some content that might not fit in with the main quest, including encounters with the Gray Ghosts and some of the more interesting random encounters, like the two-headed grimlocks. It feels like the Gray Ghosts and the derro cultists sharing the caverns is kind of a mess of plot hooks, and the derro cultists feel like the real big bad here, suffering the influence of Demogorgon, so I want to make sure they're the main enemy for the egg quest.

The Gray Ghosts can then simply be enemies and rivals of Hemeth, and be in the way of entering the city. As far as I can tell, there are only a couple of encounters with them anyways. I'll probably also combine the organization with the Empty-Scabbard Killers, to add some enemy variety and keep the complexity down. Duergar Xarrorn are also really cool, but only ever seem to be guards the players shouldn't be fighting. I'll likely use the statblock for like an assistant to the Gray Ghost alchemist, and let the players keep the lance.

I also want to put more emphasis on the pygmywort/bigwig mushrooms, introducing them here and then using them again when the players go after the egg, since I love that Alice in Wonderland reference. Rather than simply apply the enlarge/reduce spell, I think I'd like to instead have the players face enemies with adjusted stats for their new apparent size, such as a rat the size of a horse or a giant-sized dretch. I might do this only for the smaller size though, and have the bigwigs either reverse a pygmywort or enlarge, as usual. I'll also likely have the mushrooms lose their potency after a few minutes of being picked, keeping the mechanic localized.

And finally, Grackle-lung feels very punishing, and I'm not sure how the whole city isn't dead yet. I might just have it not stack. Make the save each day, and on a failure, you have a level of exhaustion. Fail a second time, you keep the exhaustion. Succeed, and you get rid of it for that day. I like the flavor of it, and I want to keep it relevant, but it shouldn't be a critical thing to worry about.

I'll probably do area-by-area tweaks as I reread the Whorlstone tunnels section and plan out encounters (which will need to be balanced for 5th level characters). I want to make sure each encounter is totally solid and interesting, and tailing Droki should involve some mushroom resizing.

Does anyone have any advice other for Gracklstugh? Encounters you added? Ones you avoided? How did your players react to this location?

Democratus
2016-05-13, 02:45 PM
At our table Gracklstugh was a mixed blessing.

On one hand it was a haven from the random murder-fest of the Underdark. On the other, it is an oppressive fascist regime.

Invisible secret police are everywhere. Nothing you say can be certain to be in private. Traveling without "papers" is dangerous outside of darklake district. And you are at the mercy of the various law-keeping forces.

Our DM leaned heavily on the paranoia and depressive nature of the city. We were so relieved when we joined the Flame Guard because we could finally be toadies to someone - which came as a shock. Then, of course, we realized that no matter what side we supported we would be angering another. And as outsiders and non-Duregar we would always be 2nd class people.

Good stuff, if you can pull off the mood just right. Orwell meets Vance.

Falcon X
2016-05-13, 04:30 PM
Admittedly, I haven't even read the full chapter on Gracklstugh yet (yeah, I read the rest of the book and skipped it), but I'll put in my two cents based on what I do know about the chapter.

Here are some ideas I've had:
1. The pygmywort and bigwigs are obviously the derro's way of compensating for not being able to enlarge/shrink naturally like the Duergar can. Make a big deal out of this Duergar ability. Give them a reason to get excited over discovering the shrooms. Perhaps even before going to Gracklestugh, they see a crack or hole going straight up. Maybe it is made by a small version of those burrowing worm things. Have one of the players, or a member of the Society of Brilliance, theorize that the tiny tunnels could go all the way up to the surface.
Of course, the flaw in that is that you've just given them a way out. I would block a full escape, but reward them greatly. It should be a great boon or some piece of a larger puzzle that they will feel was worth their excitement.
2. Summon a minor demon lord for them to defeat. Either a Balor or one of the original's of a type (Chasme with a capitol "C"). It could be terrorizing the town when they get there. They could follow the demon back to the rift and let them peek into the Abyss. If that doesn't scare their panties off, nothing will. Maybe even witness Lolth saying "Yes, after Gracklestugh, then Blingdenstone, then the surface will be but a spider-silk strand away.")
3. Give them a reason to want to save Gracklestugh. This game only gives us the Svirfneblin, the Mycanoids, and maybe the Society of Brilliance as people worth saving. Let them see something here. Perhaps they run into some farmers outside the city gates who are less effected by the madness and the tyranny that is in the city. Them or someone else might be able to explain likeable traits about the city.

If you want to read about what I plan to do, here it is, but it's very heavily related to our character backgrounds and what we did pre-capture. I can explain parts better if you actually see things that intrigue you:
Givens: My game has an entire sub-plot involving the illithid and "the darkening", both of which are doing things in this time period if you read the Drizzt novel "Archmage". I pursued this because:
A. One of my characters included a "The Darkness" into her backstory which I merged with the spell the illithid gave to the drow to use. Ultimately, in my game, this is part of an ongoing research project of the illithids to weaponize negative energy. Antimatter weaponry, darkness covering the land, effective tomb-touched nature, etc. will come into play painting the illithids as completely alien, advances, and cruel (all of which they are).
B. One of the characters has a pet weasel that the character wants to turn into a god or something. So, I'm introducing the Rat Borg (http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Many-as-One) to capture and convert the weasel. Yes, I'm expanding cranium rats to all rodents. Further, if you know D&D lore, cranium rats are secretly agents of the Illithid goddess.
C. We have an arch-villain who is orchestrating everything behind the scenes. My players HATE this guy.

So, what I'm doing in Gracklestugh:
1. In Slubludop, the Rat Borg lured the weasel owner away saying that it would give back the weasel if the character delivered the two were-rats (Topsey and Turvey) to them in Gracklestugh. This could get very interesting if Boopido kills one of them (Boopido is played by another player). I almost hope this will happen as the player will likely try to capture the only other Svirfneblin in the party, Jimjar, who I am playing as secretly being the avatar of Garl Glittergold.
Imagine the Illithid goddess (Rat-Borg's true mind) trying to mind control Garl Glittergold. This could get fun.
2. Assuming Boopido survives to Gracklestugh, I have let the player controlling him more fully construct Boopido's layer.