PDA

View Full Version : quick question: arcane spell failure

Tallis
2007-06-25, 09:45 PM
I have heard of an armor special quality which reduces arcane spell failure percentages. What is it aclled and where can I find it?

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-25, 09:46 PM
Twilight(PHB2) reduces asf, as does feycraft(DMG2).

Tallis
2007-06-25, 11:49 PM
Ah, thank you. Unfortunately I don't have either of those books yet. Are they OGL? If so could someone post the rules for those please?

Fizban
2007-06-26, 12:19 AM
Twilight (magic), feycraft (light armor only), and thistledown padding (chain shirt and heavier only) all reduce ASF.

If it's not in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) you can't post all of it, though it's usually okay to give a general description and ballpark costs.

Edit: d'oh, and Mithral (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm#mithral) of course.

brian c
2007-06-26, 12:25 AM
Mithril is particularly good if you're playing a Warmage, Battle Sorcerer or any other class with the ability to ignore ASF from light armor. Since Mithril is one category lower, you could wear medium Mithril armor with no ASF. Also, if you're in one of those classes, consider the Armored Caster feat from CArc (I think) that increases by one level the kind of armor you can ignore ASF from.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-26, 12:28 AM
Mithril is particularly good if you're playing a Warmage, Battle Sorcerer or any other class with the ability to ignore ASF from light armor. Since Mithril is one category lower, you could wear medium Mithril armor with no ASF. Also, if you're in one of those classes, consider the Armored Caster feat from CArc (I think) that increases by one level the kind of armor you can ignore ASF from.

Mithral also reduces ASF by 10% on its own.

Spell failure chances for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%,

TheOOB
2007-06-26, 12:41 AM
Twilight is useful, a twilight mithral chain shirt has no ASF, and it's not too expensive either.

Fizban
2007-06-26, 02:05 AM
Thistledown Padded Feycraft Mithral Chain Shirt: no ASF, no ACP, 10lbs, completely non-magical for under 2,000gp

+X Twilight Mithral Breastplate with either Thisledown Padding or Feycraft: no ASF, no ACP, 15lbs, has one more point of AC before magic than the Chain Shirt. Costs more in the short term but has higher AC in the long term.

Those are pretty much the best two armors with no ASF. Those with the armored mage ability have completely different things to look for in their armor, generally using either Mithral Breastplate or using a feat and Mithral Fullplate.

Shields:

Mithral Buckler, no ASF, no ACP, SRD only, arm is very specifically empty, and thus available for spellcasting.

Mithral Light Shield, no ASF, no ACP, SRD only, hand isn't technically full, check with DM on weather you can cast with it.

Githcraft Mithral Heavy shield: no ASf, no ACP, but that hand is full. Grants more AC than a light shield.

Foxtale
2007-06-26, 07:40 AM
Wouldn't a force shield ring be a cheaper alternative for wizards though?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-26, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately I don't have either of those books yet.
Twilight was reprinted in PH2; it actually debuted in Book of Exalted Deeds. So, if you have that, you're set.

Are they OGL?
Nope. Despite introducing the concept, the only OGL-compatible WotC has printed is the SRD and most (not all) of the stuff from Unearthed Arcana.

If so could someone post the rules for those please?
As people have stated, their non-OGL status prevents us from posting the entire ruleset. But it wouldn't be particularly troublesome to say Twilight reduces ASF by 10%.

I'm not familiar with feycraft, unfortunately.

Iku Rex
2007-06-26, 08:28 AM
Twilight was reprinted in PH2; it actually debuted in Book of Exalted Deeds. So, if you have that, you're set.(It's also in the Eberron Explorer's Handbook and the Magic Item Compendium.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-26, 08:51 AM
(It's also in the Eberron Explorer's Handbook and the Magic Item Compendium.)
Ah! Good to know.

Fizban
2007-06-26, 12:52 PM
And I suppose that if we can say that twilight reduces it by 10%, I can say that feycraft and thistledown padding each reduce it by 5%. As does githcraft.

The thing about feycraft and thistledown padding is, they generally by defenition can't be used on the same armor, due to their special requirements, and they both cost very specific amounts (but a lot less than the stacking of twilight, which is why I prefer them).

Tallis
2007-06-26, 03:50 PM
Got it. Thanks everyone for the help. It is much appreciated.

Iku Rex
2007-06-27, 06:16 AM
Where the heck is the thistledown padding? I found the Feycraft but I can't find the other one.The thistledown suit is from Races of the Wild.