PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Homebrew anti-caster creature?

arkangel111
2016-05-13, 05:14 PM
I'm looking for a creature that hunts down magic users. I posted awhile back trying to find mundane builds that could reliably take out casters. The premise is that a small strike team could be designed to take out your average caster. As it usually does the discussion devolved into, casters are gods, go suck on an egg its not possible.
So instead I am looking for some help in designing a creature (think lion or wolf) that is not only an Apex predator, but whose primary prey could be casters. Now its easy to lay down the hand of god and say it just does, but I'd like to find a mechanical means of doing such. I want this creature to be animal-like intelligence (1-3)

coming up with one from scratch can be a daunting task so I am hoping someone knows of something that could easily be adapted or tweaked or heck even already created one for your own worlds you don't mind sharing.

a few things to consider,

1. I am doing this in a 3.p world, and using spheres of magic. All you really need to know if your not familiar with it is it combines all arcane/psionic/divine into one magic system. there is a pp like system for casting your bigger spells and orisons/cantrips are basically warlock-esque spell-like abilities.

2. So the creature should be able to interfere with casting in someway. Outright immunity is cheesy and hard to justify, as is a moving antimagic field. I'm not outright opposed to these I am just hoping for something, better. I am thinking a caster should have to think outside the box if they want to fight it.

3. Animal, obviously magical beast is its likely type. I don't want golems, they use magic to fuel their bodies and the idea is that the hunter's are completely opposed to magic, its really a stretch that I am going to have to have them use these beasts as is.

Discussion is welcome. I'd like a few options and maybe combine some if several are good.

Jormengand
2016-05-13, 05:33 PM
Try this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478291-Anti-caster-killer-creature) thread, just in case you forgot about it. Also to stop people re-suggesting the same things.

arkangel111
2016-05-13, 05:38 PM
lol forgot i posted that.... my bad

VoxRationis
2016-05-13, 08:24 PM
Dire weasel (or really anything with a grapple-based ability) with Natural Invisibility (Ex) (as will-o-wisp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/willOWisp.htm)) and a permanent antimagic field.

Edit: Whoops, missed the compunction against antimagic field. Still, even without it, it'll be a pain for wizards to deal with. What about a komodo dragon with dimension door? Blinks in, attacks for poison, blinks away, then tracks the wizard over a long period of time, until the poison (possibly Int-attacking?) takes its toll. (The venomous quality of komodo dragons is under debate, but real komodo dragons can't teleport either, so...)