PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Price Ideas?

R.Shackleford
2016-05-13, 07:35 PM
Say there are no full spellcasters in the setting (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, and Wizard) or warlocks.

All you have is Barbarians, Fighters (no EK), Monks (No elemental... Partially because it sucks), and Rogues (No AT).

But what you do have is three spell lists that has Int, Wis, and Cha spells (Wizard list, Cleric/Druid List, and Bard/Warlock list) and you can find, buy, and use spell scrolls if you have the proper ability scores.

You can only keep so many in you at once (3 cantrips, 2 to 5 higher level spells) too many spell scrolls near each other start to act... Weird, like, Wanda Maximoff and Doctor Strange had a baby who then became a wild mage who had a cosmic entity always having them have wild surges.

Anyways...

I'm a set up like this, how much should spell scrolls go for? I would like the lower level ones (cantrip - 2) to become quite easy to get a hold of but higher level spell scrolls (3 and 4) to be a bit harder. Level 6+ will be like super rare quest sort of things (need reincarnation to save the king) or (need miracle to stop a natural disator that our dividers see in the future).

Except for cantrips these will be one off items. Use the spell scroll of web? Spell scroll is now blank and ready for a new spell to be put in it.

DC/Spell Attck = Base off your Int, Wis, or Cha depending on the spell scroll you have.

Your mental score also determines what level you can use to begin with.

11: Cantrips
12: 1st
13: 2nd
14: 3rd
15: 4th
16: 5th
17: 6th
18: 7th
19: 8th
20: 9th

So a Champion Fighter with Int 13, Wis 8, and Cha 15 could use Arcane (Int) scrolls up to 2nd level and Arcane (Cha) scrolls up to 4th level.

So, what could be a good starting price for general play?.

Their class features should be their main abilities but having gadgets/spells would be a fun little boost now and again.

Might refluff scrolls to be stones or pellets (like smoke bombs but spells)

Drackolus
2016-05-13, 07:43 PM
25*spell level? Compare cure wounds to a potion of healing. Though, the spell is stronger, but anyone can use the potion. Perhaps 50*lvl? Keep in mind, many players are going to be fighters with no natural use of their concentration - haste will be popular. Is 150g or 75g an appropriate price for one casting? Really, depends on how low/high magic you're going.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices
This threqd hqs some suggestions too.

pwykersotz
2016-05-13, 07:57 PM
It depends on what your expected WBL is and how accessible magic is to the general populace, but I think an exponent ought to do it.

(10 * Spell Level) ^2

Level 1: 100gp
Level 2: 400gp
Level 3: 900gp
Level 4: 1600gp
Level 5: 2500gp
Level 6: 3600gp
Level 7: 4900gp
Level 8: 6400gp
Level 9: 8100gp

Adjust the multiplier as needed to fit the campaign, and maybe have a different multiplier for 7-9th level spells if you want higher levels to be less easily reachable.

Edit: Also, I really like the idea for your world. It sounds super fun. :smallsmile:

R.Shackleford
2016-05-13, 09:02 PM
25*spell level? Compare cure wounds to a potion of healing. Though, the spell is stronger, but anyone can use the potion. Perhaps 50*lvl? Keep in mind, many players are going to be fighters with no natural use of their concentration - haste will be popular. Is 150g or 75g an appropriate price for one casting? Really, depends on how low/high magic you're going.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices
This threqd hqs some suggestions too.

It depends on what your expected WBL is and how accessible magic is to the general populace, but I think an exponent ought to do it.

(10 * Spell Level) ^2

Level 1: 100gp
Level 2: 400gp
Level 3: 900gp
Level 4: 1600gp
Level 5: 2500gp
Level 6: 3600gp
Level 7: 4900gp
Level 8: 6400gp
Level 9: 8100gp

Adjust the multiplier as needed to fit the campaign, and maybe have a different multiplier for 7-9th level spells if you want higher levels to be less easily reachable.

Edit: Also, I really like the idea for your world. It sounds super fun. :smallsmile:

I think I'll go for a smaller GP requirement. They can be limited based on number of scrolls carried near each other and the type of scrolls that will be available in the market or found.

I think I'll make cantrips worth a bit more due to their unlimited usage. Probabaly the price of a 2nd or 3rd scroll.

Thanks for the info and thanks for the compliment!

Perhaps... Cantrips can be made directly into your weapon (hand wrap if unarmed), armor, or clothing. So you don't even need scrolls of it but other spells can not be placed in such ways (except for magic items which are rare-er).