PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Styles for AD&D Campaign

VoxRationis
2016-05-13, 08:51 PM
I am running a campaign where many factions don't use heavy armor; as this is somewhat poor as a choice for fighters in AD&D (since Dexterity only barely begins to make up for lack of armor at the very highest scores), I wanted to come up with some fighting styles that would help compensate a little for it. My particular PHB doesn't mention fighting styles in its proficiencies section, so I'm without a strong foundation for comparisons here. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions you might have.

Elven Shooting:
First Slot: If you take only one attack in a round while using a bow, you gain +1 to hit.
Second Slot: If you take only one attack in a round while using a bow, you gain +2 to hit.

Free Cohort Fighting: A style emphasizing situational awareness, used with a repeating crossbow.
First Slot: When using a repeating crossbow, you gain +1 on initiative rolls.
Second Slot: When using a repeating crossbow, you gain a further +1 on initiative rolls. If your initiative beats an opponent's by more than your crossbow's Speed Factor, you can take your second shot before their turn.

Traditional Libaenan Fighting: A style used for fighting with spears in loose formation, emphasizing mobility.
First Slot: When fighting with a spear with no allies in spear-reach, your AC improves by 1.
Second Slot: In said circumstances, your AC improves by another 1, and you gain 1/2 attack per round.