PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feat: Sage's Advice

Wulfskadi
2016-05-13, 10:32 PM
So, me and a friend were collaborating on some ideas to make social situations less awkward for characters who were really smart or knew alot about the world. It seemed logical that someone should be able to use pure logic to convince someone of an argument, or to use their insight to a person's nature to lead them astray. So we came up with a feat.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, especially on if you would consider using this in your own campaigns.

Feat: Sage advice:

Prerequisite: Wisdom or Intelligence of 14 or higher

You have trained your mind sharply, allowing you to use your knowledge of the world to influence others. When you take this feat choose wisdom or intelligence. You gain a +1 in this ability and can substitute this ability score for persuasion and deception checks. This cannot be done in situations that require pure charismatic ability, such as rallying troops or comforting traumatized victims.

Amnoriath
2016-05-13, 11:05 PM
So, me and a friend were collaborating on some ideas to make social situations less awkward for characters who were really smart or knew alot about the world. It seemed logical that someone should be able to use pure logic to convince someone of an argument, or to use their insight to a person's nature to lead them astray. So we came up with a feat.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, especially on if you would consider using this in your own campaigns.

You have trained your mind sharply, allowing you to use your knowledge of the world to influence others. When you take this feat choose wisdom or intelligence. You can substitute this ability score for persuasion and deception checks. This cannot be done in situations that require pure charismatic ability, such as rallying troops or comforting traumatized victims.

This is a weak feat for 5e. You need to consider you are giving up a +2 ability score bump for this. Many feats that don't give 1 stat bump back have 3 abilities.

quinron
2016-05-13, 11:34 PM
An easy buff would be to allow a +1 to the chosen ability. It would make the feat more useful for what you're trying to get, and it makes perfect sense to pair with the current bonus.

R.Shackleford
2016-05-14, 12:58 AM

You have trained your mind sharply, allowing you to use your knowledge of the world to influence others. When you take this feat choose wisdom or intelligence. You can substitute this ability score for persuasion and deception checks. This cannot be done in situations that require pure charismatic ability, such as rallying troops or comforting traumatized victims.

The ability score prereq should be odd, i think all the prereqs in the phb are odd.

I agree with others +1 Int or Wis 1st least, this feat is under powered.

Ruslan
2016-05-14, 01:04 AM
Only Persuasion and Deception is kinda restricted. I would allow any of the following to run off the chosen ability:
Persuasion, Deception, Intimidation, Investigation, and Insight.

Professor Gnoll
2016-05-14, 01:42 AM
What this feat should really do is force your interpretation of a rule to be the official houseruling. Great for GWM Paladins and Crossbow Experts.

Wulfskadi
2016-05-14, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the advice! I added the +1 feature you suggested. Originally I didn't include it because I wanted to round down and add to the feat if needed. What are your thoughts on the substitutions? Do there need to be more? Is it good as is?