PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Barbarian/Rogue Multiclass

SuperCracker
2016-05-14, 12:05 AM
Hey guys. I'm playing in a weekly 5e game, in a published Underdark campaign. I am currently playing a level 5 Barbarian with the Bear Totem ability at level 3. Variant human, so I have a feat.

My character originally used a greatsword, but our party just found a legendary, intelligent Sun Sword. (+2 weapon, treated like a longsword, but is a finessable weapon). No one else in the party could use it really (Fighter is a Polearm user, and we have a Tome Warlock and a Lore Bard), so I took it. The thing is very cool, especially from a roleplay perspective.

So I decided to chuck my idea of the greatsword, power-attacking barbarian to the wayside. After thinking long and hard about what to do, I've decided that I'm going to multiclass into Rogue and advance Rogue until the end of the game.

The sun sword allows me to use Reckless Attack, Rage bonus damage, and Sneak Attack while two-handing the sword for 1d10+modifiers damage.

My stats at level 5 are 18 strength, 14 dex, 16 con, 8 int, 10 wis, 8 cha. I'll be retraining my Great Weapon Mastery feat into Mage Slayer next level (there's a hug of death combo that works well with Mage Slayer).

I find the reliability of sneak attack attractive, along with Uncanny Dodge and eventual Evasion useful for enhancing my abilities to stay alive. Cunning Action combined with my Barbarian fast movement will allow for incredible battlefield mobility. And rage + athletics expertise can make for very good grappling (especially against mages).

We expect the game to go until 14th or 15th level. I wanted to ask the community here if 1) any of this remotely works out; and 2) Should I multiclass next level (Barbarian 5/Rogue 1) or should I wait until I've picked up 6 barbarian for a fourth rage per day?

I look forward to any advice you guys have.

R.Shackleford
2016-05-14, 12:14 AM
Hey guys. I'm playing in a weekly 5e game, in a published Underdark campaign. I am currently playing a level 5 Barbarian with the Bear Totem ability at level 3. Variant human, so I have a feat.

My character originally used a greatsword, but our party just found a legendary, intelligent Sun Sword. (+2 weapon, treated like a longsword, but is a finessable weapon). No one else in the party could use it really (Fighter is a Polearm user, and we have a Tome Warlock and a Lore Bard), so I took it. The thing is very cool, especially from a roleplay perspective.

So I decided to chuck my idea of the greatsword, power-attacking barbarian to the wayside. After thinking long and hard about what to do, I've decided that I'm going to multiclass into Rogue and advance Rogue until the end of the game.

The sun sword allows me to use Reckless Attack, Rage bonus damage, and Sneak Attack while two-handing the sword for 1d10+modifiers damage.

My stats at level 5 are 18 strength, 14 dex, 16 con, 8 int, 10 wis, 8 cha. I'll be retraining my Great Weapon Mastery feat into Mage Slayer next level (there's a hug of death combo that works well with Mage Slayer).

I find the reliability of sneak attack attractive, along with Uncanny Dodge and eventual Evasion useful for enhancing my abilities to stay alive. Cunning Action combined with my Barbarian fast movement will allow for incredible battlefield mobility. And rage + athletics expertise can make for very good grappling (especially against mages).

We expect the game to go until 14th or 15th level. I wanted to ask the community here if 1) any of this remotely works out; and 2) Should I multiclass next level (Barbarian 5/Rogue 1) or should I wait until I've picked up 6 barbarian for a fourth rage per day?

I look forward to any advice you guys have.

Personally I would go Barbarian 5 / Rogue 10 (AT)

Rage doesn't need to be loud, I would place invisible on myself and sneak up on a group of enemies and scare the ever loving pelor out of them as i become visible while raging.

Nothing says you can't sneak and rage at the same time...

bid
2016-05-14, 12:33 AM
I'll be retraining my Great Weapon Mastery feat into Mage Slayer next level (there's a hug of death combo that works well with Mage Slayer).
Your DM allowed you to retrain, that's nice.

The best combo (IMO) would have been elk 5 / swashbuckler X, which allows you to charge through the ranks, grapple the enemy caster and drag him back at 55' dashing. Bear can't go that fast but expertise in athletics is still worth it.

Keep barbarian 6 in your back pocket until you need the 4th rage. Extra attack boosts rogue a lot, you can use reckless without raging.

bid
2016-05-14, 12:36 AM
Rage doesn't need to be loud, I would place invisible on myself and sneak up on a group of enemies and scare the ever loving pelor out of them as i become visible while raging.
Concentration?

R.Shackleford
2016-05-14, 12:55 AM
Concentration?

That's when you come out of invisibility.

You sneak in not under rage then get ready and next round you enter rage and attack. The attack (or rage) breaks the invisibility a d scares the Hell out of enemies.

I meant, just because you are barbarian doesn't mean you can't sneak and be quiet.

(note: been doing shots so sometimes I don't type what I mean haha)

bid
2016-05-14, 01:02 AM
You sneak in not under rage then get ready and next round you enter rage and attack. The attack (or rage) breaks the invisibility a d scares the Hell out of enemies.
Oh ok.

I think I'd do it the other way around: attack invisible then bonus rage.

SuperCracker
2016-05-14, 01:03 AM
Your DM allowed you to retrain, that's nice.

The best combo (IMO) would have been elk 5 / swashbuckler X, which allows you to charge through the ranks, grapple the enemy caster and drag him back at 55' dashing. Bear can't go that fast but expertise in athletics is still worth it.

Keep barbarian 6 in your back pocket until you need the 4th rage. Extra attack boosts rogue a lot, you can use reckless without raging.

Yeah. I would have probably gone with Elk had I been planning this the whole time, but what's picked is picked. Besides, we tend to take a lot of damage (of varying kinds). Bear has been pretty good for that.

EDIT: Another question - Assassin or Swashbuckler? Swashbuckler seems to need Charisma, but being able to sneak attack solitary enemies and whack someone to ignore their AoO seems in keeping with strategy. I know Assassin can be a crazy nova in the right situation - but our party is less than sneaky.