PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Animal companion level

Elgate
2016-05-14, 01:08 PM
Hello, I have some trouble with one of my player. He is planning on taking level from multiple class with animals companions.
Problem is: He is going to take level of inquisitor with chivalry inquisition (mount from lvl 1) and from hunter. He'd also like to have access to other animal companions (mainly ones with languages) and asked me if he could take the monstruous mount feat to get access to low level magical beast. After some discussion, we came in accord on the ones he could take with it.

Problem is: what happens to his animal companion?
a mount gain light armor proefficiency.
An animal companion gain share spell.

What happens here? Does his animal companion gain light armor, or share spell? Or both?

Geddy2112
2016-05-14, 01:18 PM
In this case, it is replacing a mount, so it won't gain share spells and will be a mount, so the new beast will have light armor proficiency. Normally a mount can be replaced when a caviler has a mount die, and spends a week in mourning. You could banish it or set it free though, spend a week, then acquire a new one.

Elgate
2016-05-14, 01:24 PM
ok. But he starts at level 4 (old character died) and now start already multiclassed. I can't really say he took the mount second, thus replacing the original animal companion. Can he take an usual animal companion (like a wolf), keep the share spell, and just use the mount feature to keep the level progression of his animal companion?

Honest Tiefling
2016-05-14, 01:43 PM
Here's what the Pazio FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qqn) has to say on the matter, regarding a mount and a animal companion stacking, by the way, if that helps.

I would probably rule that whatever he took first counts as the base creature. The Mount/Animal companion feature does not modify existing animal companions, and only contributes to EDL.
If he took the Inquisition to get a mount, it's a mount and gets Light Armor. If he takes hunter first, he gets an animal companion.

But I think I would probably be okay with the player just choosing one if the Animal Companion has not seen play yet provided that they seem reasonable and understand that they need to keep things sane and in line with everyone else's power level. However, this would apply to all future Animal Companions taken just for sanity reasons.

Also, given multiclassing his spellcasting is going to be shoddy, so ruling in the armor might be better then Share Spells.

He also can't RIDE the wolf, so the wolf can't count as a mount.

Elgate
2016-05-14, 02:05 PM
Ok, thank you for the link to the FAQ, I never saw it before. I have my answer now ^^