PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon+Eldritch Master

ATHATH
2016-05-14, 02:00 PM
What happens if I use the Eldritch Master PrC (Dragon Magazine #380) to boost the Chameleon PrC's spellcasting?

Also, I've inferred from some threads that the Chameleon PrC's spellcasting doesn't qualify you for feats and prestige classes. Why?

Daefos
2016-05-14, 02:15 PM
Also, I've inferred from some threads that the Chameleon PrC's spellcasting doesn't qualify you for feats and prestige classes. Why?

I'm AFB at the moment so I can't really give it a good look, but off the top of my head I'd assume that it's because Chameleons don't have true spellcasting, they have class features that let them mimic spellcasting.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-14, 02:55 PM
Because the ability explicitly says so. This is the second paragraph under the Class Features section of the Chameleon PrC description:

You can't use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus, ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option. You can use your bonus feat to qualify for such options, but if you change the feat, you suffer the normal drawbacks for no longer meeting a prerequisite or requirement.

A chameleon's spellcasting is part of Aptitude Focus.

ATHATH
2016-05-14, 04:59 PM
Because the ability explicitly says so. This is the second paragraph under the Class Features section of the Chameleon PrC description:

A chameleon's spellcasting is part of Aptitude Focus.
Ah, thank you. That helps a lot.

ATHATH
2016-05-14, 05:02 PM
Can prestige classes advance a Chameleon's "spellcasting"?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-14, 06:18 PM
Can prestige classes advance a Chameleon's "spellcasting"?
The bad news: Chameleons don't have an ability called 'spellcasting', nor an ability called 'spells known' or similar, and they don't get a spellbook natively. It is also unclear whether they are a divine or arcane casting class (or neither), which may limit the PrCs you get to use. Most prestige classes refer to (paraphrasing) 'getting spellcasting as if you gained a level in a spellcasting class', and chameleons don't get any spellcasting just from leveling up - they just get spellcasting, scaling with their class level, while focused the right way.

More, but separate bad news: The Chameleon's spells/day table doesn't extend past 10th level, so extending the casting past 10th is going to be caster level only.

Somewhat good news: After using your Aptitude Focus ability, you do have the ability to prepare and cast spells, so if you can qualify for a casting-advancing prestige class, you may be able to level up while focused for spellcasting, and sell that to your DM.

The most unambiguous way of advancing Chameleon casting is with Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion, which will increase your caster level past 20 as well ([something] 5/chameleon 10/LC 5 gets CL 28, which is not bad).

ATHATH
2016-05-14, 06:32 PM
The bad news: Chameleons don't have an ability called 'spellcasting', nor an ability called 'spells known' or similar, and they don't get a spellbook natively. It is also unclear whether they are a divine or arcane casting class (or neither), which may limit the PrCs you get to use. Most prestige classes refer to (paraphrasing) 'getting spellcasting as if you gained a level in a spellcasting class', and chameleons don't get any spellcasting just from leveling up - they just get spellcasting, scaling with their class level, while focused the right way.

More, but separate bad news: The Chameleon's spells/day table doesn't extend past 10th level, so extending the casting past 10th is going to be caster level only.

Somewhat good news: After using your Aptitude Focus ability, you do have the ability to prepare and cast spells, so if you can qualify for a casting-advancing prestige class, you may be able to level up while focused for spellcasting, and sell that to your DM.

The most unambiguous way of advancing Chameleon casting is with Uncanny Trickster and Legacy Champion, which will increase your caster level past 20 as well ([something] 5/chameleon 10/LC 5 gets CL 28, which is not bad).
@Second Point: That's why I'm using Eldritch Master. It has a weird pseudo-spell progression; you gain one spell slot that's one spell level over the maximum spell level you can cast at third, sixth, and ninth level (IIRC), and your EM level is added to your CL, but it doesn't progress your normal spell progression at all. It also lets Sorcerers chose their known spells from other spell lists at 4th level, and gives a bunch of extra known spells of 1-5th level to them as they progress through it.

@1st and 3rd Paragraphs: Fortunately, my DM is in the anti-Complete Warrior camp in the PrC prerequisites issue, so he'll probably let it work.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-14, 06:40 PM
Right, that should probably work, at least, as long as you can re-assign the bonus spells each time you activate your Aptitude Focus. I'm not sure that's RAW, since those should probably be assigned on level-up only. However, if your DM's okay with it, that's cool, and not game-breaking, most likely. Another good class for fake advancing casting is Oriental Adventure's Eneuch Warlock, who gets +2 spell levels over 10 PrC levels, and a bunch of extra slots, as well.