PDA

View Full Version : Psionic feats {PEACH}

Justyn
2007-06-25, 10:24 PM
IMPROVED AUGMENTATION [PSIONIC]
Your knowledge of augmenting your psionic powers has given you the ability to augment your powers beyond what you normally could.
Prerequisite: Psicraft 8 ranks.
Benefit: Your manifester level is treated as two points higher for the purpose of determining how many power points may be spent on a power; however, you must pay an additional power point for each power point spent above your manifester level.
Special:You may take this feat multiple times, its effects stack.

EFFICIENT METAPSIONICS [METAPSIONIC]
Your innate knowledge of improving your manifestations has given you the ability to improve them with greater efficiency.
Prerequisite: Any two other metapsionic feats, Concentration 10 ranks.
Benefit: You do not expend your psionic focus to add the effects of a metapsionic feat to a power and because of this, you can add multiple metapsionic effects onto a power; but you still cannot spend more power points than your manifester level. To keep your Psionic focus, you must succeed at a concentration check equal to 15 + power points spent + 2 for each metapsionic effect beyond the first. You still need to be psionically focused to use metapsionic feats, however.
Normal: You must expend your psionic focus to use a metapsionic feat. You can only add one metapsionic effect onto a power.

Anyone have any comments? Constructive critisism? Et cetera?

JoshuaZ
2007-06-25, 10:47 PM
IMPROVED AUGMENTATION [PSIONIC]
Your knowledge of augmenting your psionic powers has given you the ability to augment your powers beyond what you normally could.
Prerequisite: Psicraft 6 ranks.
Benefit: Your manifester level is treated as two points higher for the purpose of determining how many power points may be spent on a power.
Special:You may take this feat multiple times, its effects stack.

IMPROVED METAPSIONICS [METAPSIONIC]
Your innate knowledge of improving your manifestations has given you the ability to improve them with greater efficiency.
Prerequisite: Any two other metapsionic feats, Concentration 10 ranks.
Benefit: You do not expend your psionic focus to add the effects of a metapsionic feat to a power; and because of this, you can add multiple metapsionic effects onto a power, but you still cannot spend more power points than your manifester level.
Normal: You must expend your psionic focus to use a metapsionic feat. You can only add one metapsionic effect onto a power.

Anyone have any comments? Constructive critisism? Et cetera?

They both seem overpowered. The first one might be ok if it were only 1 additional manifester level. The second feat is in many respects better than Epic Psionic Focus feat which is an epic feat so it is`way too powerful.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-25, 11:24 PM
I disagree, JoshuaZ. The first feat is weaker than Practiced Manifester, which adds +4 ML for all purposes without any prerequisites. Sure, you can take Improved Augmentation multiple times, but there are better feats out there. Eventually, you'd just be wasting your slots.

As for the second feat, Ill agree it's a little overpowered. Maybe have it make it so that you only have to be focused to use metapsionic feats, rather than having to expend a focus.

Justyn
2007-06-25, 11:28 PM
They both seem overpowered. The first one might be ok if it were only 1 additional manifester level. The second feat is in many respects better than Epic Psionic Focus feat which is an epic feat so it is`way too powerful.

Thank you for telling me why my ideas are bad compared to rules that are either far too overpowered for use or far too underpowered for their prerequisites (epic feats). Any ideas on how to improve these in your oppinion?

I disagree, JoshuaZ. The first feat is weaker than Practiced Manifester, which adds +4 ML for all purposes without any prerequisites. Sure, you can take Improved Augmentation multiple times, but there are better feats out there. Eventually, you'd just be wasting your slots.

I was intending to make this feat somewhat related to Practiced Manifester.

As for the second feat, Ill agree it's a little overpowered. Maybe have it make it so that you only have to be focused to use metapsionic feats, rather than having to expend a focus.

Not needing to expend the focus is my intent; I'll add the nonclemanture [?] stating that you need to be psionically focused.

Anxe
2007-06-25, 11:32 PM
I think they're fine, but I'd increase the requirements of the first one.

TheOOB
2007-06-26, 12:47 AM
Hmm, these both look like epic feats to me. Expending your psionic focus is the primarly balancing factor of metapsionic feats, and the power point cap is the primary balancing factor for powers in general. Consider this, what psion wouldn't take these feats. If a feat is so powerful that every single person would take it, its too good.

Also, there is allready a feat named improved metapsionics, just FYI

Justyn
2007-06-26, 01:40 AM
[...]Expending your psionic focus is the primarly balancing factor of metapsionic feats, [...]

So, Psionics has to be weaker than Arcane magic?

Maybe adding some sort of mitigating factor should balance it out? Something like: "To keep their psionic focus, the user must succeed at a Concentration check (15 + power points spent)."

[...] and the power point cap is the primary balancing factor for powers in general.

The feat does not give extra power points, it just lets them spend two more power points for the purpose of augmenting powers: It does not effect range, duration, or overcoming power resistance.

Consider this, what psion wouldn't take these feats. If a feat is so powerful that every single person would take it, its too good.

Is Weapon Focus too good? Have you ever seen a decent fighter without it?

Also, there is allready a feat named improved metapsionics, just FYI.

I can't remember every feat in every book; but I'm working on a new name.

JoshuaZ
2007-06-26, 09:37 AM
So, Psionics has to be weaker than Arcane magic?

No, but psionics is much more balanced than arcane magic. This does make it weaker but balance is good.

Maybe adding some sort of mitigating factor should balance it out? Something like: "To keep their psionic focus, the user must succeed at a Concentration check (15 + power points spent)."

That seems like a good idea. That would probably balance it ok.

The feat does not give extra power points, it just lets them spend two more power points for the purpose of augmenting powers: It does not effect range, duration, or overcoming power resistance.

Yes, but that allows much more effective novas. The existence of a max augment is what more than anything else keeps manifesters balanced.