PDA

View Full Version : I need a 5e to 3.5 conversion, please

Jon_Dahl
2016-05-14, 02:07 PM
This should be fairly straightforward, it's just that I don't know anything about 5e.

https://i.imgur.com/u7eOpOe.jpg

Xuldarinar
2016-05-15, 11:13 AM
Wow. someone just.. went for that, huh?

Alright, lets begin;

Thankfully, unlike characters, monsters are actually fairly similar in format between 3.x and 5e. What we have to change is as follow;

Creature Type Matters: While under 5e creature type has no abilities it automatically grants, 3.x does. We need to give this creature everything granted by merit of the undead type under 3.5.

Constitution: Undead have Constitution as a non-ability under 3.x, so as such we need to turn that into -. This reduces their health consequently.

Skills: This one is interesting. What we need is to do something equivalent to a conversion from a PF character to a 3.5 character as some skills are combined.

Saves: These just need recalculated off the bat. The numbers there can be thrown out.

Advantage: Two of its abilities deals in advantage. This functions by basically rolling twice and taking the higher result (disadvantage works the opposite). The mechanics can be maintained, or we can find something else to convert this into. This much is unclear.

I think that covers everything.

khadgar567
2016-05-15, 11:21 AM
okay second question how to do that in reverse

nikkoli
2016-05-15, 01:32 PM
The Amphibious bit doesn't need to be there since undead don't breath
Blood in the water is good as is.
I think blood Frenzy could be done via "if shark bear zombie has dealt damage to a living creature in the past minute it enters an unholy rage, gaining +4 str."
Then keen sight and smell would be the scent ability, and +4 spot.
Undead Fortitude just vs damage type to divine instead of radiant, I don't Recall anything doing radiant damage in 3.5.

It's ac would probably be around 18 (10 base + 10 natural -2 huge size). (Unless in 5e 13 ac [natural] means it has 13 nat armor, then I would say 21 ac total)
I think feats would be toughness, Weapon ficus sharkfists, and improved natural attack sharkfists.
Hp would be 75 I think if I can math right.
Bab would be 5, base fort would be 7, base reflex would be 3, base will save would be 7 (if i recall undead in 3.5 had 1/2 bab, and a good fort/will save).

Jon_Dahl
2016-05-17, 09:54 AM
The Amphibious bit doesn't need to be there since undead don't breath
Blood in the water is good as is.
I think blood Frenzy could be done via "if shark bear zombie has dealt damage to a living creature in the past minute it enters an unholy rage, gaining +4 str."
Then keen sight and smell would be the scent ability, and +4 spot.
Undead Fortitude just vs damage type to divine instead of radiant, I don't Recall anything doing radiant damage in 3.5.

It's ac would probably be around 18 (10 base + 10 natural -2 huge size). (Unless in 5e 13 ac [natural] means it has 13 nat armor, then I would say 21 ac total)
I think feats would be toughness, Weapon ficus sharkfists, and improved natural attack sharkfists.
Hp would be 75 I think if I can math right.
Bab would be 5, base fort would be 7, base reflex would be 3, base will save would be 7 (if i recall undead in 3.5 had 1/2 bab, and a good fort/will save).

Thank you, sir.

Jon_Dahl
2016-05-17, 09:56 AM
Also, the CR (Challenge) is cool. right?

Joxeta
2016-05-17, 10:23 AM
CR is incredibly finicky in 3.X because there was no bounded accuracy in that edition.
You would most likely have to test this against a party of 5th level adventurers to be sure.

But, at first glance with suggested changes, it seems about CR 5 to me.
Without testing, like I said.

nikkoli
2016-05-17, 10:40 AM
Without to much try hard a level 5 character cam have 20 ac, so this thing would be hitting on a 12 on the die (+5 bab +5 str -2 size) for anywhere between 6 and 25 damage each hit. Say it landed a bite and a sharkfist that shold average 11+17 damage, which is plenty to maim a level 5 pc when using half HD or rolling HD. It also gets better at hitting and hurting you if it's damaged you, so that would bump hitting to 50% vs ac 20 for 8-27 damage a hit. I think a cr 5 is a good place. It's tough but it doesn't have any high level SLAs or SU to bost it up.

Jon_Dahl
2016-05-17, 12:37 PM
Without to much try hard a level 5 character cam have 20 ac, so this thing would be hitting on a 12 on the die (+5 bab +5 str -2 size) for anywhere between 6 and 25 damage each hit. Say it landed a bite and a sharkfist that shold average 11+17 damage, which is plenty to maim a level 5 pc when using half HD or rolling HD. It also gets better at hitting and hurting you if it's damaged you, so that would bump hitting to 50% vs ac 20 for 8-27 damage a hit. I think a cr 5 is a good place. It's tough but it doesn't have any high level SLAs or SU to bost it up.

Thank you. It's great that someone knows how these things work in 5e and 3.5.

Jon_Dahl
2016-07-25, 02:55 PM
Ok, would this do, or would it need Rend?

UNDEAD SHARKENBEAR
Size/Type: Huge Undead
Hit die: 68 (10HD)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), swim 60 ft. (12 squares)
AC: 18 (size -2, natural +10), touch 8, flat-footed 18
BAB/Grapple: +5 / +18
Attack: Sharkfist +9 (1d8+5)
Full attack: 2 sharkfists +9 (1d8+5) and bite +6 (1d10+2)
Space/Reach: 15 ft/15 ft.
Special Attacks: Blood frenzy
Special Qualities: Blood in the Water
Saves: Fort: +3, Dex: +3, Will: +8
STR: 21, DEX: 11, CON: -, INT: 3, WIS: 13, CHA: 7
Skills: Swim +18
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (sharkfists), Multiattack, Toughness, Weapon Focus (sharkfists)
Environment: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 11-16 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -
CR: 5

In Blood Frenzy
STR: 25, DEX: 11, CON: -, INT: 3, WIS: 13, CHA: 7
Grapple: +20
Attack: Sharkfist +11 (1d8+5)
Full attack: 2 sharkfists +11 (1d8+5) and bite +8 (1d10+2)
Skills: Swim +20

Blood in the Water
The sharkenbeast knows the distance and direction of any enemy that does not have all their hit points within 1 mile of the sharkenbeast provided that the enemy and the sharkenbeast reside in the same body of water.

Blood Frenzy
If the sharkenbear has dealt damage to a living creature in the past minute it enters an unholy rage. It gains +4 str.

Xefas
2016-07-25, 05:55 PM
I'm terribly curious what the fluff behind this creature is.

Does a bear have to use its dying breath to fall off of a cliff onto a pair of sharks just as all three of them are simultaneously hit with a lightning bolt?

Tanuki Tales
2016-07-25, 06:01 PM
I'm terribly curious what the fluff behind this creature is.

Does a bear have to use its dying breath to fall off of a cliff onto a pair of sharks just as all three of them are simultaneously hit with a lightning bolt?

Seeing as it's specifically outlined as an Undead Sharkenbear, it looks like the Sharkenbear is naturally occurring and this one was raised as a zombie. :smalltongue:

Xefas
2016-07-25, 06:27 PM
Seeing as it's specifically outlined as an Undead Sharkenbear, it looks like the Sharkenbear is naturally occurring and this one was raised as a zombie. :smalltongue:

With every decision, every random occurrence, a new timeline is born, a new sequence for the universe in which all future events spiral forth with differences both myriad and profound as well as few and subtle. For every world in which misery reigns, there is another where justice is done, and for every world where everyone wears a hat, there is another where everyone has a goatee.

This thing is native to the darkest timeline.

Xuldarinar
2016-07-25, 07:03 PM

Personally, I'd go with... A wizard did it. Possibly a necromancer did the whole thing.

Network
2016-07-25, 07:45 PM
Ok, would this do, or would it need Rend?

Snip
As much as I want to like it, I think some elements of it are not quite right. There are some mistakes in the calculations as well (the attack modifiers are incorrect), so I tried to make my own version. Feel free to compare.

Undead Sharkenbear
Huge Undead (aquatic)
Hit Dice: 10d12+10 (75 hp)
Speed: 35 ft. (7 squares), swim 45 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (-2 size, +10 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+18
Attack: Sharkfist +8 (1d8+5)
Full Attack: 2 sharkfists +8 (1d8+5) and bite +6 (1d10+2)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., keen scent, low-light vision, necrotic reserve, undead traits
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +8
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 13, Cha 7
Skills: Hide -2, Listen +7, Move Silently +4, Spot +12, Survival +4, Swim +17
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude B, Improved Toughness (LM), Multiattack B, Necrotic Reserve (LM), Stealthy
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil

Combat
Blood Frenzy (Ex). Whenever an undead sharkenbear deals damage to a living creature, it enters an unholy rage. It gains a +4 bonus to Strength for 1 minute.
Keen Scent (Ex). An undead sharkenbear can notice creatures by scent in a 180-foot radius and detect blood in the water at ranges of up to a mile.
Feats. An undead sharkenbear can take the Necrotic Reserve feat even though it does not qualify for it. The undead sharkenbear creates a new necrotic reserve every day, without the need to deal ability damage, ability drain, or negative levels. The feat allows an undead sharkenbear to survive if it is dropped to 0 hit points, but only once per day.
Skills. An undead sharkenbear receives a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Spot checks.

I thought that the keen scent ability of regular 3.5 shark was the best parallel to the abilities of an undead sharkenbear, so I copied it. I also made the monster somewhat stealthy for its size, like it is in the 5e version.

Um, I think I might use that creature for a project of mine.

Edit: I just found out that the 5e version of the monster is actually based on an earlier 3.5e version, which is here (http://spipes.deviantart.com/art/The-Gristlygnash-208186166). That version has a Large size and only 6 HD, but apparently no conversion was necessary in the first place.

Jon_Dahl
2016-07-26, 04:45 AM
As much as I want to like it, I think some elements of it are not quite right. There are some mistakes in the calculations as well (the attack modifiers are incorrect), so I tried to make my own version. Feel free to compare.

Undead Sharkenbear
Huge Undead (aquatic)
Hit Dice: 10d12+10 (75 hp)
Speed: 35 ft. (7 squares), swim 45 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (-2 size, +10 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+10
Attack: Sharkfist +10 (1d8+5)
Full Attack: 2 sharkfists +10 (1d8+5) and bite +8 (1d10+2)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., keen scent, low-light vision, necrotic reserve, undead traits
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +8
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 13, Cha 7
Skills: Hide -2, Listen +7, Move Silently +4, Spot +12, Survival +4, Swim +17
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude B, Improved Toughness (LM), Multiattack B, Necrotic Reserve (LM), Stealthy
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil

Combat
Blood Frenzy (Ex). Whenever an undead sharkenbear deals damage to a living creature, it enters an unholy rage. It gains a +4 bonus to Strength for 1 minute.
Keen Scent (Ex). An undead sharkenbear can notice creatures by scent in a 180-foot radius and detect blood in the water at ranges of up to a mile.
Feats. An undead sharkenbear can take the Necrotic Reserve feat even though it does not qualify for it. The undead sharkenbear creates a new necrotic reserve every day, without the need to deal ability damage, ability drain, or negative levels. The feat allows an undead sharkenbear to survive if it is dropped to 0 hit points, but only once per day.
Skills. An undead sharkenbear receives a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Spot checks.

I thought that the keen scent ability of regular 3.5 shark was the best parallel to the abilities of an undead sharkenbear, so I copied it. I also made the monster somewhat stealthy for its size, like it is in the 5e version.

Um, I think I might use that creature for a project of mine.

Edit: I just found out that the 5e version of the monster is actually based on an earlier 3.5e version, which is here (http://spipes.deviantart.com/art/The-Gristlygnash-208186166). That version has a Large size and only 6 HD, but apparently no conversion was necessary in the first place.

I can't spot my mistakes. Any hint?

Network
2016-07-26, 12:02 PM
I can't spot my mistakes. Any hint?
Looking back, I was the one to make a mistake. I forgot to factor in the size modifiers to attack rolls and grapple checks.

Jon_Dahl
2016-07-26, 02:04 PM
Looking back, I was the one to make a mistake. I forgot to factor in the size modifiers to attack rolls and grapple checks.

That's ok, but I'm torn: I really appreciate that you showed this Gristlegnash (sp?) to us, but it's incredibly poorly done. Just look at it. You can see in two seconds that it's badly written. So I have this version of mine and this "original" version, which is bad. I hope it's not even open to an argument if it's bad or not, because it's really bad.

Network
2016-07-26, 02:27 PM
That's ok, but I'm torn: I really appreciate that you showed this Gristlegnash (sp?) to us, but it's incredibly poorly done. Just look at it. You can see in two seconds that it's badly written. So I have this version of mine and this "original" version, which is bad. I hope it's not even open to an argument if it's bad or not, because it's really bad.
Fair enough. I still think keen scent is more consistent with the shark statblock than a direct transfer of the blood in the water ability from 5e, but I do agree that the Gristlygnash has weirdness all over the place (2 bites, 1 slam and 1 bite? I should've noticed before posting about it). I didn't look it up too carefully, but now that you point it out, it makes sense.

I made slight changes to the version I made yesterday, adding the size modifier to attack rolls and grapple checks (which I had forgot). You definitely got the numbers right in your version, so I'm sorry if I bothered you with that.

Jon_Dahl
2016-07-26, 03:24 PM
I was talking with my friend and we agreed that STR should be upped. I was thinking about giving it STR 31, the same as dire bear's. Any objections? CR would not be affected.

Tanuki Tales
2016-07-26, 07:04 PM
I was talking with my friend and we agreed that STR should be upped. I was thinking about giving it STR 31, the same as dire bear's. Any objections? CR would not be affected.

An additional +5 to attack and damage could end up raising its CR.

Jon_Dahl
2016-07-27, 01:21 AM
An additional +5 to attack and damage could end up raising its CR.

But it's interesting that for zombies and skeletons, this would not make any difference. You can make a skeleton out of 10 HD creature with 10 STR or 40 STR and it would change nothing. Just saying.

Tanuki Tales
2016-07-27, 11:36 AM
But it's interesting that for zombies and skeletons, this would not make any difference. You can make a skeleton out of 10 HD creature with 10 STR or 40 STR and it would change nothing. Just saying.

That doesn't mean that the zombie/skeleton templates are correct in doing that. :smalltongue:

I guess I'm just spoiled by Pathfinder, since they have a very thorough break down of average capabilities for a monster at every possible CR.