PDA

View Full Version : Return of Thor?

zeratul
2007-06-25, 10:38 PM
I've heard that they're going to start making a new thor comic soon. Any ideas of whats going to happen? Ragnarok having occured and all.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-06-26, 10:30 AM
back to basics, I think. I heard somewhere that the real hammer was picked up by someone with the initials "D.B." (Donald Blake, Thor's original secret identity, back when he transformed by hitting his hammer on the ground).

kpenguin
2007-06-26, 10:37 AM
What do you think Thor's reaction will be to the SHRA, World War Hulk, and the death of Cap?

Ranis
2007-06-26, 10:51 AM
Maybe they'll bring back Thor and he'll use Odin's power to end World War Hulk. And maybe bring Captain America back in a similar fashion Reed Richards did for Ben Grimm.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-26, 12:01 PM
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=83671

Rob Knotts
2007-06-26, 06:19 PM
If Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_Coipel) is to be believed, Coipel's new design for Thor is already on the web:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/24/Newthor.jpg/417px-Newthor.jpg
Definitely prefer the Ultimates costume, and the proportions for this pic are terrible.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-06-26, 08:33 PM
Definitely prefer the Ultimates costume, and the proportions for this pic are terrible.[/spoiler]

I didn't like the Ultimates costume too much, actually (but this is worse, if only because of the lame pose. More historically accurate, maybe, but it's not heroic enough). I prefer his 'classic' costume. Why?

(Warning: this is a BIG image)
http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/data/media/125/thor3small.jpg

THAT is what Thor's all about. You can't argue with that. The Ultimate Thor's beard was alright, but I missed that red cape, and I didn't like the design of his hammer (which I can't spell the name of) too much.

EDIT: for reasons unknown, the picture isn't showing up. So, here's the link: http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/data/media/125/thor3small.jpg

Gavin Sage
2007-06-26, 09:12 PM
As long as Thor is blond he's not historically accurate. And Ultimate Thor was interesting up until they removed any doubt, but then Ultimate Marvel has all but completely lost its way anyways. Ultimate Spidey is the only one left that has stuck to what really defined Ultimate.

Anyways back on topic. I will be picking up Thor and hoping the major issues in Marvel are all but ignored, because I am suffering from event-fatigue and care much more about the next issue of Captain America then I do about all of World War Hulk. So reading a book that gets some good old adventuring done would be very nice. Not that I hold out hope for it to happen, but I do dream.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-26, 11:54 PM
As long as Thor is blond he's not historically accurate. And Ultimate Thor was interesting up until they removed any doubt, but then Ultimate Marvel has all but completely lost its way anyways. Ultimate Spidey is the only one left that has stuck to what really defined Ultimate.I wasn't talking about the character, just his costume. The armored, bearded version Marvel introduced back in the 90s took away Thor's individuality, made him just another extra in a Kirby splash page by overdoing his costume.

That's why I like the Ultimate version so much, instead of adding elements to his costume they downplayed the boots and removed the cape and helmet - he was still very recognizable as one of Marvels iconic characters. I could take or leave the changes to the hammer, but I never found it distracting.

The new version I posted above really doesn't look like anything other than an off-the-shelf barbarian/Conan picture with blonde hair and some decorations on the torso. I'd just as soon they stuck with the old caped blonde Thor than go back to making him look like an extra from a fantasy movie. The old costume can be outstanding given the right artist, I don't see new costume as an improvemnet, let alone a necessary change.

In the long run, Thor may be a viking superhero, but he's still more superhero than viking, and I'm much more interested in him having an iconic supehero costume rather than trying to put him into pseudo-historical armor.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-27, 12:09 AM
THAT is what Thor's all about. You can't argue with that.No... No, I really can't:smallwink:

kpenguin
2007-06-27, 03:27 AM
Hey... if Asgard is hovering over Oklahoma... then are the Asgardians affected by the SHRA? I'd love to see them try to arrest them for not registering.

Finn Solomon
2007-06-27, 07:12 AM
A Viking without a full-bodied, bristling beard you could hide a goat in is a Viking without pride.

Give the Norse GOD a damn beard and let him reign triumphant once more. Ultimate Thor's already got the whiskers. Stupid Marvel.

zeratul
2007-06-27, 07:13 AM
First of his hammer's name is spelled Mjolner. Secondly, how is blond hair historically inaccurate? There were plenty 'o blond vikings. Lastly, I prefer his Asgaurdian armor to any of the others, it looks better than the others. The ultimates costume just looked dumb to me.

Lastly Thor was in fact a barbarian god (IE he was portrayed as a barbarian character)

Finn Solomon
2007-06-27, 07:18 AM
Thor's been described many times, both in the ancient sagas and the more modern adaptations, as having red hair.

zeratul
2007-06-27, 07:19 AM
Huh didn't know that one. I love Norse mythology though.

Ranis
2007-06-27, 07:31 AM
My children, Thor is officially back. Behold.

http://subscriptions.marvel.com/title/thor?utm_source=marvel.com&utm_medium=160%2Bx%2B600%2BSky%2BScraper&utm_content=Thor%2B(title)&utm_campaign=Subscriptions

zeratul
2007-06-27, 07:49 AM
SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!! Although as I said I prefer the asgaurdian armor, this should be cool.

lord_khaine
2007-06-27, 03:49 PM
i must admit, im also slightly disapointed with the lag of beard.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-27, 04:26 PM
First of his hammer's name is spelled Mjolner.Mjolnir.
Secondly, how is blond hair historically inaccurate? There were plenty 'o blond vikings
Thor's been described many times, both in the ancient sagas and the more modern adaptations, as having red hair.Specifically, his hair (and beard) was supposed to be a fiery red, reflecting his elemental nature. It's not unusual for mythologies to equate lightning with fire, and Thor's connection to lightning also meant he had a connection to fire.
Lastly, I prefer his Asgaurdian armor to any of the others, it looks better than the others. The ultimates costume just looked dumb to me.Unfortunately, everytime he's a armoured he ends up looking like an Orion or Acroyear* wannabe. It also visually undermines his impact - if Thor really is as invulnerable to mortal harm as Marvel claims him to be, why does he need armor?

*Yes, of course I know Marvel's Thor predates Acroyear by a couple decades, but Marvel's Acroyear (1979) predates Marvel's armored Thor (1987) by almost a decade.
Lastly Thor was in fact a barbarian god (IE he was portrayed as a barbarian character)Doen't mean much here. As far as the comic book supehero is concerned, Thor's "barbarian" origin just means that he's a hothead in battle, always wanting to hit first and ask questions later (if the enemy can still answer after the fight).

In the modern Mavel universe there aren't any mortal warriors going into battle thinking they can be as merciless as they want because they have Thor's blessing. Nobody's offering bloody or burnt sacrifices to him. Like just about every god/superhero in Marvel or DC, a huge chunk of the bloodthirst and brutality usually associated with barbarian/pagan/pantheist deities is abandoned by the comic creators to keep modern society (and readers) from rejecting the character as a barbarian. If mainstream Marvel's Thor really was a barbarian, readers wouldn't accept him as a superhero.

Edit: Just came across this gallery (http://www.immortalthor.net/thorcostumes.html). Have to admit, I'd much rather Thor have a full, shaggy beard than look like a clean-shaven frontman for an 80s hair-band.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-06-27, 05:59 PM
Edit: Just came across this gallery (http://www.immortalthor.net/thorcostumes.html). Have to admit, I'd much rather Thor have a full, shaggy beard than look like a clean-shaven frontman for an 80s hair-band.

Ironically, Thor was created with long blond hair WAY before bands like that came along...heck, before the Beatles, even, if I remember correctly.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-27, 06:19 PM
Yeah, but the Deodato versions gave me nightmare MTV flashbacks from the 80s:smalleek:

Grod_The_Giant
2007-06-27, 09:08 PM
Yeah, but the Deodato versions gave me nightmare MTV flashbacks from the 80s:smalleek:

<gasp!> you have a problem with hair metal? With the likes of Van Halen and ZZ Top?