PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Is this an insane idea, a genius idea, or both?

IronLionShark
2016-05-14, 06:53 PM
My DM gave my character (A wizard) a magic item. That magic item can be used to infuse spells. I inquired with the DM if I infused creation could it be used in spells and stay permanently. My DM replied yes. Then, I asked if I could make an adamantine ancient dragon construct with a fort on it's back and if it could have multiple engineered breath weapons. The DM said yes and that he would use modified ancient dragon stats for it as well as it would be able to fly if made.

My idea is to use the artifact which will deal 2d4 slashing to me when I use (It's a blood powered knife). Every day I will use the spell to create 5 cubic feet of the dragon. The downside is I will have 2d4 less health and use up my highest spell slot. Also, it will be hard to store. (Gargantuan objects typically are.) There will be multiple layers.

First an admantine skeleton. Then, The organ systems. (Mainly just a digestive and respiratory system.) After that, there will be a layer of mithril chain. Then, there will be a layer of segmented mithril plates. After that, adamantine chain will be added. Finally comes segmented adamantine plate, the harness, the fort, and various defensive outcroppings.

I plan to ride it as a giant mobile war fort.
My PC also has plans for army (He lacks the army currently.) conquest.

Is this insane, genius, or both?

pwykersotz
2016-05-14, 07:06 PM
The real question is, what does the DM have in store to challenge this? Angel Dragons? Elder Brains within the skeletons of Titans? Armies of Empyreans? :smalleek:

But yeah, that sounds like a blast! Sidenote: It will be easier to store if the DM allows the abilities of the dragons and you chose one that can change form. :smallwink:

IronLionShark
2016-05-14, 07:08 PM
He likes armies of dragons.
Clandestine organizations. (The mafia)
Oh, and the Tarrasque.
Also I believe no change forms was one of the changes.
Side Note: He has a rule that poison breath (which he stated would be present.) is chlorine. That means if I add a water tank. I have can have acid (hydrochloric acid) and poison (chlorine) from two tanks.

Temperjoke
2016-05-14, 07:25 PM
You got a rather suspicious amount of DM buy-in on this idea, which makes me worry. I'd make sure that no one steals that dagger.

Now, in fairness, I like the idea of having a fortress on the back of a dragon. It's got a lot of things going for it. I do have to wonder if carrying it on it's back is a wise idea though. It might be better to integrate it at least partially into the dragon's body. It'll add security and stability to the fortress, especially if you're forced to take evasive maneuvers. How big are we talking though? I mean, I don't know if you'd be able to have that big of a fortress on/in it.

IronLionShark
2016-05-14, 07:28 PM
You got a rather suspicious amount of DM buy-in on this idea, which makes me worry. I'd make sure that no one steals that dagger.

Now, in fairness, I like the idea of having a fortress on the back of a dragon. It's got a lot of things going for it. I do have to wonder if carrying it on it's back is a wise idea though. It might be better to integrate it at least partially into the dragon's body. It'll add security and stability to the fortress, especially if you're forced to take evasive maneuvers. How big are we talking though? I mean, I don't know if you'd be able to have that big of a fortress on/in it.

Well, it is an unholy blood relic, you may have a point. Although the DM is a relative of mine. (That may or may not be a good thing.) Also, nice idea to partially integrate the fortress. That way it will be harder for it to fall off. Also I had a plan to make some sort of horcrux type thing to transfer my soul to control the construct after death. We're talking about the oldest of red dragons size category. AKA: the kind that lives in a giant room that takes up most of the dungeon and the dungeon is a hollowed out mountain. You know, you're probably right that a DM doesn't usually give out one of the strongest magic items in all the realms...
...However, I'll take my chances. What's the worst that could happen?

RickAllison
2016-05-14, 07:52 PM
Well, it is an unholy blood relic, you may have a point. Although the DM is a relative of mine. (That may or may not be a good thing.) Also, nice idea to partially integrate the fortress. That way it will be harder for it to fall off. Also I had a plan to make some sort of horcrux type thing to transfer my soul to control the construct after death. We're talking about the oldest of red dragons size category. AKA: the kind that lives in a giant room that takes up most of the dungeon and the dungeon is a hollowed out mountain. You know, you're probably right that a DM doesn't usually give out one of the strongest magic items in all the realms...

The whole thing is a deliberate ploy by Tiamat to gather the souls of countless innocents through the monstrosity you unleash and by doing so allow her to usurp control of all dragons from Bahamut, thus creating a potentially world-damning catastrophe?

IronLionShark
2016-05-14, 07:56 PM
Aww man,
My character hates fiends and chromatic dragons.
Thanks for the avoidance dude.
Wait, would I get power from that?
If so, my character is lawful evil for a reason...

Temperjoke
2016-05-14, 08:02 PM

Your idea of a flying dragon fortress gets used against you. :smallbiggrin:

Before you really get started with construction, you really need to work out a secure place that you have easy access to for storing materials and constructing such a beast, you're almost going to need to put it on another dimensional plane to try and secure it. You may also want to work out a source of materials other than the dagger. I mean, the layers of chain and plates could potentially be outsourced. You may also want to give consideration to your army. I mean, that's a source of labor for the construction. If you can find a way to build a clan or tribe of followers, where it's an entire population, you'd have a group capable of such a thing, not to mention guarding your construction area.

IronLionShark
2016-05-14, 08:09 PM
Well I forgot to mention I'm one of the only surviving nobles from a recently fallen (because werewolf infiltration) loyal military land that has many people spread across many lands. So the army is taken care of. I own a large plot of land for storage. I also have some friends from the town dedicated to Hephaestus. (Before anyone mentions this. I'm not going to get any divine help. My character is non-religious, although he acknowledges the existence of deities as strong magical beings.)
BTW: We use greek, norse, and some Forgotten Realms deities (The race specific ones: i.e Tiamat) I also have no idea how I'd be able to travel to other planes yet (Maybe another side-quest? That's how I received the blood dagger). We're in a homebrew campaign world BTW.

krugaan
2016-05-14, 08:41 PM
Power level over 9000.

IronLionShark
2016-05-14, 08:43 PM
Power level over 9000.

I think you made the most convincing argument.

krugaan
2016-05-14, 08:52 PM
I think you made the most convincing argument.

Old pop culture references > any useful form of commentary.

But yeah, your DM is *extremely* lenient with the magical items there.

See if he'll give you tritium gas and U-235, or plutonium or something.

Temperjoke
2016-05-14, 08:53 PM

He's got a dagger that can make them if the DM allows them in his game :P

IronLionShark
2016-05-14, 08:54 PM

Well, if my character somehow knows what those are he can infusion create those.

EDIT: Dang it! missed the mark by a minute.

krugaan
2016-05-14, 08:56 PM
Your campaign just went from Survival Mode to Creative Mode.

edit: which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

IronLionShark
2016-05-14, 08:58 PM
Your campaign just went from Survival Mode to Creative Mode.

edit: which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Well, my DM is rather fond of the Tarrasque...

Foxhound438
2016-05-15, 12:31 AM
Power level over 9000.

speaking of power, where are you getting fuel for this thing? or is it going to just be free energy enough to make it as fast and powerful as a true dragon but way heavier?

IronLionShark
2016-05-15, 09:04 AM
speaking of power, where are you getting fuel for this thing? or is it going to just be free energy enough to make it as fast and powerful as a true dragon but way heavier?

I know a powerful golem animator.

JackPhoenix
2016-05-15, 09:19 AM
Well, my DM is rather fond of the Tarrasque...

Tarrasque is overrated. It's got big numbers, but that's it.

IronLionShark
2016-05-15, 09:32 AM

Did I mention the armies of dragons that exist in his setting?

RickAllison
2016-05-15, 03:52 PM

Here is what I've noticed. The Tarrasque doesn't fare well alone due to a lack of control to back up his defensive options. Give him some caster allies carried in a defensive fortification on his back (if they have Fabricate, they can make it out of his spell-reflecting scales!) and he becomes terrifying again.